VDH resale prices are lower than I expected.

It seems like this sentence should end with "...at these prices"

You kind of implied that here.

I think most people may have a price at which they would probably buy a resort with these resale restrictions, if they were interested in that resort. Would you buy VDH resale it if it was $120/pt? 100/pt? 80/pt? 60/pt? Maybe it will get to that price, and maybe it won't - that all depends on where other buyers stand on the issue. I would probably pull the trigger on Riviera if it ever got to "my number" - at least I love the resort enough to consider it.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other resorts to play with in my lifetime that are not restricted, and about 1/3 of our points have access to all resorts at 7 months, so I can watch the market opportunistically and not stress about it too much.
I guess I didn’t think that “at these prices” was needed as it was in reply to the OP’s comment about current sellers not budging from their asking price.

For me that number needs to be materially below the direct price with incentives….

Well....I don't plan to live another 49 years, but who knows, maybe I can go on my 101st BD! Reality is at our ages, we're hoping to get 20-25 years of visits, at that point we'll be pushing 80. When the kids our out of the house, we're already planning a month at Aulani. Zero interest in spending a month in Florida....

We have 900ish VDH direct points. We can use them at any new DLand DVC offering if we want, or the 500ish Direct points we have have at Aulani (balance is resale).

Again, we'd like to add on resale VDH if it hits $150 (or below) to pad our direct balance. Then every stay can be in a 2BR (or maybe one trip with extended family in a grand villa for a week plus).

We've already got plenty of Direct points between VDH and Aulani for anything else we'd like to do. This is to pad our existing points to upgrade our stays.

I tend to agree that VDH isn’t going up from where it’s currently listed unless/until one or more of the following three things happen:
(1) Direct prices materially increase (after incentives)
(2) VDH sells out
(3) Disney expands a park to be contiguous with VDH or makes enough construction progress that people feel they can rely on it

All 3 of these items are quite likely related, item 3 would likely accelerate sales and potentially allow Disney to raise prices further as people (like myself) start to get excited about a hotel with views and direct entrances to exciting new lands…but it also might depend what lands are placed nearby AND if another new DVC concept gets built.

Conversely, if VGC resale prices keep trending back towards earth, I would expect VDH resale to trend down, as even VDH direct sells for materially less than VGC resale. There are some families for whom VDH resale makes sense, but I think there are many more for whom it doesn’t make sense at all or resale prices would need to be less than half of direct. Under $75/pt, my FOMO would probably start tempting me, even though it’s a terrible product for my current wants and needs...for advance planners who don’t mind the extra walking, it might become more attractive closer to RIV resale pricing.

I just don't think people understand what the retail prices of Disneyland on site hotel rooms are headed. That one bedroom that was too high at $600 is $1600 if you want to pay retail. Checking next weekend the absolutely cheapest room you could get, a regular room with parking lot view will be $900 after taxes and parking. There are a lot of people within 5 hours driving time to Anaheim. Going to Disney is a regular thing for many. Do not see prices going down. Yes you can stay on Harbor for cheaper, it is just not the same.

I just don't think people understand what the retail prices of Disneyland on site hotel rooms are headed. That one bedroom that was too high at $600 is $1600 if you want to pay retail. Checking next weekend the absolutely cheapest room you could get, a regular room with parking lot view will be $900 after taxes and parking. There are a lot of people within 5 hours driving time to Anaheim. Going to Disney is a regular thing for many. Do not see prices going down. Yes you can stay on Harbor for cheaper, it is just not the same.

If you are going to compare DVC to Disney retail prices, then buying from the developer will almost always make great financial sense. Timeshare salespeople (not just DVC) love those comparisons... But I would never pay $600/night for a hotel room, whether in FL or CA, let alone $1600, so that comparison is less relevant to me.

I don't disagree that it's "just not the same" but I would still rather compare DVC to the Residence Inn and Sheraton in the same vicinity, and then decide if that extra expense is worth the added bells and whistles of (i) staying onsite and (ii) owning DVC in general. The latter will vary between direct vs resale, and O14 vs. later resorts. The fact that I can use my resale BLT or AUL to stay at 10+ other resorts for many years to come is quite valuable to me and worth paying extra for (but I still expect a discount vs. the direct product due to MM and other ancillary benefits/discounts the direct product provides). I don't get multiple resort access with Riviera or VDH resale contracts, so those contracts are worth a lot less to me when compared to the direct product or other resale options.

Last edited:
If you are going to compare DVC to Disney retail prices, then buying from the developer will almost always make great financial sense. Timeshare salespeople (not just DVC) love those comparisons... But I would never pay $600/night for a hotel room, whether in FL or CA, let alone $1600, so that comparison is less relevant to me.

I don't disagree that it's "just not the same" but I would still rather compare DVC to the Residence Inn and Sheraton in the same vicinity, and then decide if that extra expense is worth the added bells and whistles of (i) staying onsite and (ii) owning DVC in general. The latter will vary between direct vs resale, and O14 vs. later resorts. The fact that I can use my resale BLT or AUL to stay at 10+ other resorts for many years to come is quite valuable to me and worth paying extra for (but I still expect a discount vs. the direct product due to MM and other ancillary benefits/discounts the direct product provides). I don't get multiple resort access with Riviera or VDH resale contracts, so those contracts are worth a lot less to me when compared to the direct product or other resale options.
I agree with the vast majority of your post, but would argue that the one bedroom villa being referenced by the PP is not the same a hotel room.

One of the exact reasons we bought at VDH. With two visits this year we’ve saved about $20K vs DLH/VDH 1BR cash stay. And we’ve got another 8 day visit in a 2BR planned in the fall.

Just wanted to pass that on to you. I can't imagine having your amount of points, but that doesn't I wouldn't want to!!! My hubby knows I have a few contracts, (9) and knows we have an adequated number of points 835, but he has no idea what any of it means. All he wants to know are the dates we are going so he can schedule off of work. I'm so lucky...

Different strokes for different folks, I don’t think you can compare staying in the bubble, walking downtown Disney or across the street into the Pixar gate at DCA with staying offsite and walking down harbor. It’ll be even less of a comparison when they start building a park around DLH/VDH. I get that not everyone is in a financial position to do so (we’re lucky enough to do so), and some who are, don’t (I have a close relative like this who could easily afford but stays offsite cause they don’t want to spend the premium to stay in the bubble). But it’s worth it to us. We tried the local Airbnb thing, then nearby on harbor, but once we stayed in a suite at the DLH we felt like we were home…..”welcome home!”

Just wanted to pass that on to you. I can't imagine having your amount of points, but that doesn't I wouldn't want to!!! My hubby knows I have a few contracts, (9) and knows we have an adequated number of points 835, but he has no idea what any of it means. All he wants to know are the dates we are going so he can schedule off of work. I'm so lucky...
Thanks! It is a crazy amount of points, it’s the one area where we’ve spent some $$. We’re pretty frugal otherwise. We worked towards that many at Aulani as it allows us to go for 10 days to visit family and take extended family with us who otherwise would be unable to travel. We get a 2BR and they get a studio.

We recently did 5 nights at WDW with a Grand Floridian/ Boardwalk combo. You just can't do that in Anaheim unless that is your resort. You might be able to book a random day or 2 but to put a trip together on the days you want is about impossible. So to compare points for WDW and Dland is not the same

I absolutely understand. I would NEVER pay that absolutely ridiculous amount for that room when the Hyatt House has a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen for $350/night.

What am I gaining by staying on site? 30 minutes of early entry which I will spend half of waiting in line to get into DTD unless I leave my room at 6AM? I’m good not paying a $1300 a night premium for that.

It’s not the same, but it’s also not worse.

I apologize but I'm going to pile on and say that it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare values between VDH/VGC and some good neighbor hotel. The reason we bought VGC was because my wife and kids only wanted to stay at the Grand Cal. Admittedly I only put up a fight once and capitulated. The last time we went to Grand Cal before going to the Villas, we were paying over $800/night for a standard woods view, and that was back in 2019. Are there times when it's cheaper today? Yes, but not the times we are able to go. Now we stay in 1 or 2 bedroom villas for two weeks a year and all I had to do was part with $150K and pay $5k in dues each year.

I absolutely understand. I would NEVER pay that absolutely ridiculous amount for that room when the Hyatt House has a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen for $350/night.

What am I gaining by staying on site? 30 minutes of early entry which I will spend half of waiting in line to get into DTD unless I leave my room at 6AM? I’m good not paying a $1300 a night premium for that.

It’s not the same, but it’s also not worse.
It is worse. Having to walk down Harbor is materially worse than having a direct entry in VGC or downtown Disney for VDH.

There is also a difference between a hotel and a themed resort experience.

How much that is worth to you is completely subjective, but it is worse.

City of Anaheim just approved $1.9 billion expansion of Disneyland park allowing Disney to control streets and other facilities. Plan to make it a more "immersive" experience. Also Downtown Disney to be expanded with popular Southern Cal restaurants like Portos, Din Tai Fung, and others. This will make VDH much more attractive as a vacation destination. Personally, we live only 20 minutes away so we wouldn't buy here but I thought all of you should be aware of this which could increase VDH value long term.

It is worse. Having to walk down Harbor is materially worse than having a direct entry in VGC or downtown Disney for VDH.

There is also a difference between a hotel and a themed resort experience.

How much that is worth to you is completely subjective, but it is worse.
We haven’t stayed at VDH (will be using VGF points to do it in the next few months) but I have stayed at DLH and PPH. I don’t think you can objectively say that those hotels are better than the JW Marriott or even the Westin or Courtyard Marriott with its own water park, even at comparable pricing. I assume most people considering owning DVC really love DVC theming (and have convinced themselves that DTD is a part of a special bubble), but some of us also like luxury and convenience— two of the hotels I mentioned have soaking tubs and higher quality service across the board and one has bigger rooms with bunk beds and extremely convenient location. For the same price (which it never is) I would assume most of the DVC board would prefer a Disney hotel, but at least a few of us occasionally prefer a luxury hotel (and simply pay for Uber black to drop us off at the esplanade). VDH is a good purchase for some, but I think it is less special if you don’t enjoy walking through DTD.

All that aside, if you value location or your time more than your money, there is NO comparison with VGC, which saves you at least 15-20m round trip compared with basically every other option. There’s a reason nobody is selling resale VGC contracts for less than the cost of direct DLH points. 😉

All that aside, if you value location or your time more than your money, there is NO comparison with VGC, which saves you at least 15-20m round trip compared with basically every other option. There’s a reason nobody is selling resale VGC contracts for less than the cost of direct DLH points
This is why we bought VGC direct earlier this year and were positively filled with glee after forking our money over to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter