• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Venting about school policy on Disney trip absences!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

walllo

Earning My Ears
I just got off the phone with my kid's principal about our Disney vacation next week. We will miss school three days. My kids are in the 4th and kindergarten and she said that because their absences were unexcused the highest grade they could make on any homework during that time would be a 70. She said that Disney was not considered educational. That is absurd to me. Obviously, she has never been and does not know what Disney has to offer. I am a teacher as well, so I know the importance of attendance and completing work and all. I didn't argue with her because I'm not good at that and I probably can't change her mind. Maybe I should of explained what all is at Disney. I know some of you have encountered this, how did you handle it? By the way, my kids are good students so their grades will only be mildly hurt. It's just that it irks me that she thinks it's not educational.
Thanks for letting me vent.
:mad: :mad:

Ask their individual teachers if there is 'extra' credit work they can do. A report on a country in EPCOT for social studies? Report on the Magic of Disney in MGM for art. I know there can be others. Keeping a detailed journal? As you probably know some teachers can think of 'creative' ways to turn the trip into a homework grade. It doesn't hurt to ask.

When we went on the 7 day cruise last year DD missed 4 days of school. I explained to the teacher where we were going and asked for any additional work. She had DD then 2nd grade to do a report on birds native to the carribean. She had to chart the weather at home and in the carribean then compare. She also had to keep a journal during the trip.

The next time you think there will be problem. call the child "sick" and write an excuse. In that manner, the child can at least make up the work.

STRICTTLY PERSONAL OPINION:
1) Vacations and family life are very important.
2) School is very important.

3) In older life, it is the sum worth of the family life that matters.
4) In older life, it is the sum worth of education that matters.

5) Day-by-Day or Week-by-Week is not important in the long run.
6) Don't sweat the small stuff, like a few days of school.

7) I have ALWAYS taken the kids out of school for vacations.
8) Both girls are successful in business and have families.
9) Maybe a well-rounded person is what truly matters.

I also feel vacations are important. I don't hesitate to take them out of school. That's not saying school is not important and it's more than once a year. My dds' school have a vacation policy of 5 vacation days per year

I would abandon the "Our Disney trip is so educational" angle. You and I know there can be education in anything, but it sounds desperate to someone who does not believe it.

We have never had a problem with obtaining excused absences from the teachers and administration, for Disney trips or family get-togethers. They are always pre-arranged with the teachers and admin. way in advance, (the teachers give a list of assignments that will be missed while we are gone), and the work is turned in to the respective teachers the first day back. Our children are all honor roll students, and these trips have never been a problem for them.

I would speak to this principal's supervisor or your district school board member and ask for assistance. This cannot be the first time this has come up.

:wave:

RustyScupper you are so right!! Thank you for posting your comments.

We also have been taking our boys out of school for WDW trips through the years and will be doing it again in May. They are now ages 14 and 17, both honor students. We are staying at the same resort as my sister, her husband and their 3 teenagers. The only problem I have had is the high school does not give them work to do on vacation. They have to make up all missed work when they return. Both stay after school if that's what it's takes to catch up. I usually try to plan our vacaction's at WDW starting with a Wednesday, leaving after school and fly back on the following Tuesday or Wednesday night. This way they don't miss any "full" week. It has worked out well every year.

I personally think that a grade of 70 for their missed homework is just plain rotten, she is just trying to make you feel guilty and stop you from going. I agree with the other post, talk to your kids teacher's. Sounds like this principal has forgotten how to have fun and needs a trip to Disney World herself!

RobinLyn:D

RobinLyn,

So glad to see someone else taking teenagers out of school. My Ds 15 and DD15 will be missing 5 days of school in May as well. I feel that is just impossible to go in the summer. With my husband's hours and their busy schedules, quality family time comes at a premium.

They can make the work up.

I agree that family/vacation time is VERY important. I don't think for a second that taking your child out of school for any family vacation is bad.
Well, my MIL is the principle of a grade school. She is probably the principle giving you a hard time! When my MIL found out I'm taking my DS's out of school again to go on a WDW vacation she nearly flipped. "How could I think the boys missing all that school was good for them?"
OH PLEASE!
Thank goodness! Their my children!!

It's too late for this trip but i have learned never go higher up than you have too and don't make a bigger deal of their being out than you have to. I have been taking DS out most years since kindergarten and he is in 4th grade now. I just tell the teacher that DS will be out from this date to this date because our family is going to WDW or where ever we are going. I tell her that I will do what ever I need to do to make sure DS stays caught up and that he will get all make up work done. 3rd grade was the first year any teacher asked him to do any makeup work and it was a reasonable amount and she gave it to us several day before the trip. On return to school my letter of absence just says that DS was out for family travel. Never a problem or question. I do know we are very lucky however and this might not work in many schools. I am aslo glad to hear of teens going to WDW during the school year. That has been my concern. We are going Christmas 2003 (early Dec.), when he will be 5th grade and I was not sure if that would have to be our last school time trip. I would love to hear more from parents who do take thier teens out.

jordan's mom

PREACH IT, ALLISON! You are soooooo right: Thank goodness they are YOUR children.

Why do the grandparents, usually grandMOTHERS, think they can make these comments, as if you are a rookie at this?

Man, it gets old. . .

:wave:

You Know...... I stressed and stressed about taking my boys out of school or 4 days this past Oct for our WDW trip. They are in 2nd and 4th grade.
It turned out to be no problem at all, and all their teachers gave them the work they would miss ahead of time so we could get it done before we left.

The one hurdle we had to get over was that our school system implemented a new absence guideline this year thats states that a child can only have 5 unexcused absences before they contact the parent via certified letter with a warning of truancy.

Since our trip fell at the beginning of the school year, I just have to make sure the rest of their absences(if any) are excused for the year.
A small price to pay for our trip of a life time :D

I am planning a return trip for us next Oct.The boys will be in 3rd and 5th grades, and I am praying for teachers just as understanding.......

You know Waggy182?
She had her chance to mess up/raise her own children. Now it's my turn. and I don't think a family vacation is a bad thing, no matter when we go.
My boys are well rounded, patient, respectful and very smart. Disney is not going to make them dumb or rude. Time away with your family, learning about one another and having a good time. All perfectly good arguememnts.
I do remember another comment she had for me though. Years ago when I was pregnent with my first child. I had said something about when the baby was old enough we would go to Disney in January. MIL says "he won't miss school will he?"
"If I want him too", was my response. :p She could only ask "why?"
She just doesn't get it.
That's ok cause I DO!! or should I say WE DO!!!:bounce:
(My MIL has yet to EVER say another word to me about it.)

Way to go, Allison! That is exactly what you have to do: shut her down before she can even get started.

I have learned that the grandparents (again, most often it is the grandMOTHER as the offender) are much like small children; they will get away with whatever you allow them to. I am not advocating being rude or mean to the elderly. . . on the contrary, I learn A LOT from them. But the boundary lines need to be drawn by us and not encroached upon with unwarranted "comments, suggestions, or innuendo".

Rock on!

Do you think a few 70's on homework assignments will make a huge impact on "permanent record card", do you really believe that a few days on a family vacation is going to make your child less marketable as an adult worker? Of course not--go enjoy and understand that there may be a few consequences for your decision. It is not like the kids are in high school with very low grades to begin with. If new units are being started during thier absance, take some time to be sure the children understand the basics that they may have missed while out.

Or you could "hom skool". . . (don't even get me started).
LOL!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I pulled my Kindergartener out for a week last month. I told her teacher (and only her teacher) a couple of months ahead of time. The teacher said I had to send request in writing and just asked me if I wanted her makeup work before or after our trip. I worded my letter that Megan would be out due to a family event. I thought I might get more flack if I said WDW.
We made sure to buy her teacher a nice gift while we were there as well.
That being said I have heard more people complain about getting a hard time in Texas. Maybe due to school funding issues?
I want to take her out a week every year. Let's see if it works.

Why is it that everytime someone doesn't feel the same about Disney as we, it becomes "they don't understand":

Obviously, she has never been and does not know what Disney has to offer.

I don't see anything obvious here

at all.

Perhaps this is a blanket policy covering all absences for vacation - and has nothing to do with where you take your child on vacation. Maybe the principal loves Disney, but if they make excuses for Disney, some parent will claim the truck pull is an educational experience. Perhaps she's been burned by "Disney as an educational experience" parents, who's educational experience was riding Tower of Terror and Rockin RollarCoaster sixty times ("You were assigned a report on the countries of Epcot," "Oh, we decided not to go there and went to Blizzard Beach that day"). Maybe the district is sick of parents pulling their kids out three times a year for vacations /hunting/ family reunions or because its simply convienent for mom and dad, then complaining that their kid didn't learn anything or test scores for the district have gone down, and has finally said enough!

In other words, maybe the principal is the wrong person to blame - maybe you should be blaming the parents who came before you that have spoiled the freedom to pull your kids from school by doing so irresponsibly.

Find out what the policy is. If the policy is 70 and there are no exceptions, accept it - a week of Cs is not going to keep your kids out of Harvard. The suggestion to then talk to the teachers about finding out what sort of extra credit can be done to pull the grades back up is a really good one.

The issue with our local schools here is money. If a child isn't there, they don't get paid for that child for the day. Some of the teachers here actually ask you to bring your child in sick long enough for them to take roll call and then take them home. I was appalled the first time I saw someone do this. But alot of parents here do that (not me!). So I can see from my experience why they would object. I think it's awful.

i don't know why you even had to disclose where you were going to be....i would have just said that you had to go "out of town" for a family thing. this might be something to bring up at a PTA meeting....not all people can (or want to ) take off during the summer.
akrake

I too am nervous about taking my DS out for 6 days of school for our Disney trip. And he is only in Kindergarten. But my friend a school teacher said, I dare any teacher to try and have a child remember what they learned in school on the 25 week of Kindergarten (or any other grade for that matter.) Then ask the child if he remembers the trip they took with their parents in 2003 to Disney. Life is full of learning and there are so many precious memories I have of all those trips to Disney with my Mom and Dad and sisters growing up!

I felt a lot better. Just my two cents!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter