Venting about school policy on Disney trip absences!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by crisi
Why is it that everytime someone doesn't feel the same about Disney as we, it becomes "they don't understand":
I don't see anything obvious here
at all.

Perhaps this is a blanket policy covering all absences for vacation - and has nothing to do with where you take your child on vacation. Maybe the principal loves Disney, but if they make excuses for Disney, some parent will claim the truck pull is an educational experience. Perhaps she's been burned by "Disney as an educational experience" parents, who's educational experience was riding Tower of Terror and Rockin RollarCoaster sixty times ("You were assigned a report on the countries of Epcot," "Oh, we decided not to go there and went to Blizzard Beach that day"). Maybe the district is sick of parents pulling their kids out three times a year for vacations /hunting/ family reunions or because its simply convienent for mom and dad, then complaining that their kid didn't learn anything or test scores for the district have gone down, and has finally said enough!

In other words, maybe the principal is the wrong person to blame - maybe you should be blaming the parents who came before you that have spoiled the freedom to pull your kids from school by doing so irresponsibly.

Find out what the policy is. If the policy is 70 and there are no exceptions, accept it - a week of Cs is not going to keep your kids out of Harvard. The suggestion to then talk to the teachers about finding out what sort of extra credit can be done to pull the grades back up is a really good one.

Excellent points.

It's easy for the school have a blanket policy instead of dealing with each request as it comes up. If this policy is in place, this must come up often at that school.

If you are going to take you kids out of school do so, but don't expect every teacher and school system to support you.

My parents always took us out for Florida vacations -- what do you think I remember about growing up, a week in 6th grade or that first trip to Disney World.

Missing school in Kindergarten and 4th grade is not going to hurt their academic careers. Tell her to stuff it, and be sick next time. I think all the parents should put pressure on the school board. Our school districts would never get away to dictating to parents in that manner. Move up north - lol!!!

Well, step-grandmother anyway. Not elderly though but hope to get there one day. Also the soon-to-be legal guardian of a 4 year old.

I agree with much that's been written so far. Plan ahead, notify only the teacher(s) and go no higher unless you have to due to school policy.

I realize that some states do fund on the "butts in chairs each day" policy so teachers and local administrators have their hands tied. Many of those seem to be states with high migrant worker populations. In order to get full funding to run the place they have to keep their numbers up. You can't change those policies single handedly but you can make your feelings known to your state legislators.

Certainly school and learning are crucial for any child but so is quality family time. I'm sure most of those posting here get their kids to school on time, take them out as seldom as possible for other things but feel a vacation once a year or so is perfectly reasonable. I agree. Too bad many school systems aren't set up to make it easily workable.

Some excellent points have been brought up. I am a substitute elementary school teacher and a mom. Now that I work in the school practically full time (I recently subbed for a teacher who was out for 2 months) I understand things now from both a teacher's perspective as well as a mom's. I have taken my children out of school in the past to go to WDW. Last year was no big deal since they only missed the last 2 days of school and all their work was done and grades turned in. They were basically having "fun days". In the past I sweated telling the teacher but I've never had any problems. Just as someone else mentioned I wouldn't go to the principal unless I had to. Go through the teacher first. They ARE gong to find out that you went to Disney World because your child will tell them or another will. So be up front about it. Some will be supportive (I've had teachers say, "Can I go too?") and some may not be as supportive but I promise I don't think they will take it out on your child's grade especially if your child is a good student. EVEN if they say "your child can't get higher than a 70 on his homework while gone" well...there's a good bit of leeway a teacher has when they turn in report card grades. This is just from my experience in the schools and as a parent so teachers don't flame me but they can and do take into account a lot of factors. If you ask for "official approval" from the administration you won't get it. Simply because they can't start a precedent like that. Not because they think you are awful to take your child out of school for a few days, in fact most probably DO understand the importance of families being together and making special memories. But they can't authorize it because *some* parents would take advantage of it. When you're a good parent as I'm sure the posters are here you don't (I know I didn't) think about those parents that aren't so conscientious and are the reasons for these "blanket policies." I could name you countless examples. There is a 3rd grader I have "taught" who doesn't like to come to school on Mondays. It started the first of the school year. He'd complain of feeling ill and called his mom who checked him out of school. Then after a couple of weeks he was always absent on Mondays. The poor kid is falling so behind it's sad. Then when he is there he is always tired because and I quote, "I stayed up until 3:00 watching movies with my mom's boyfriend" :-(( Last I heard they were going to have to report it to truancy officials which they truly never like to do. Sorry I got carried away with this post but the bottom line is do NOT worry if your child is a good student and you have them take their homework with them, make it up, or offer to do extra credit things. Your child will do fine and benefit from the amazing and yes *I* believe educational experiences that you will get with your family at Disney World!

I simply cannot believe this. And for a kindergartener!!!!

In fact, I think it is absolutely WRONG for the teacher to limit the grade to a 70, if the child does better than that on the test. She would simply be penalizing them for no reason. If you know what the content matter is ahead of time and have the children learn it, they should be able to receive the grade they EARN and not just some arrogant teacher's opinion of what the know. Granted, a few 70's will not make much impact... but if you feel strongly about this I would take it higher. I would! Best of luck.

Hello all,
This past October we took
my son out of school for 6 days.
It was my brother's 50th birth-
day and he lives in CT, as does
all our family. Note that I am in
North Texas. I told his 1st grade
teacher in advance and she just
told me to remind her and she
would get some papers together
for him to complete while we
were gone. As we were on an
afternoon flight, I wanted him
to attend school the morning
of our departure. I worked it
out with her that my DH would
pick up our son when the class
was leaving for lunch. She was
appreciative that I was concerned
about disrupting classtime.
I did tell her that this trip
was especially important to me
as my brother and I are very
close as our parents have
passed away.
In November we will be going
to Disney. Luckily my in-laws
will have moved to FL by then
and I can say that it is a family
and Disney trip.
I agree with everyone who
said only go as high as the
teacher. No one else needs
to know unless it is school
policy.
We did get a note on a
school newsletter that you
"could" be reported (I don't
remember to who) if your
child had 10 absences in a
6 month period. Later a
notice came along that illness
absences are excused. They
also stressed that the
picking up of children early
for appts. and whatnot was
getting out of hand and that
many classes were being
disrupted. It also stated
that these were not
excused absences.
Sorry I got long-winded,
I'm finding it interesting
what the various school
policies are.
I feel very strongly
about the importance of
family vacations even if
it means staying in your
own backyard.
Patty

My girls go to a K-8 elementary school - I have a 1st grader, a 7th and an 8th grader.

We have always taken them out a day here or there where needed, but last year we took them on our first big trip to Disney, so they missed a full week of school. We had such a good time that what was supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip, looks like it will now be an annual occurence. We went again for a week in December. We cannot go during their school vacations, as their Dad works a crazy schedule, so we go when he has his seven days off (He gets this every month).

I verbally notified their homeroom teachers a couple of months before we went, and they asked me to notify the office that they would be gone - this is a requirement in our district. If the office isn't notified of an absence, they WILL call to check on the child. I wrote a letter informing the office and ALL their teachers, including specials. The middle schoolers do their specials every day on a trimester basis, so they would miss a full week of that special. I also sent a form that each teacher could fill in any extra work they would like my child to accomplish while they were out, as well as any makeup work they would know about in advance. The teachers were thrilled, as this made their job a little easier. They didn't have to go chasing paperwork around to give assignments. Some classes were doing group assignments which could not be made up outside of school. These things had to be done on their return. They had to do reports on the Christmas traditions in the other countries in Epcot, and Jennie had to keep an exercise log for PE - we had her wear a pedometer to keep track of her walking miles. My first grader brought her reader, and a copy of all their daily center papers - she was able to substitute a Disney activity for their listening activity each day, but she still had to write 3 sentences about the activity she chose.

My older girls are high honor roll students, and they just received their progress reports for the term we were away - the lowest grade they received was a 98.4! It obviously didn't harm them academically! My youngest struggles with school, and I was more concerned with her being out, but family time is key! I was sure to put aside some time for academics each day - 1/2 an hour was enough, just so she wouldn't backslide. I will have to think about her situation each year, but I think we will always take our family week each year!

Originally posted by Waggy182
Or you could "hom skool". . . (don't even get me started).
LOL!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
Huh???:confused:

Two years ago I decided to pull my son out of school for a week so that we could go on a Disney cruise. Since it is only my son and myself, my then 9 year old was charged as an adult. In order to get a cheap rate we had to go in May. When I told his teacher I would be pulling him out for 5 days, she yelled at me. How can you take him out of school for that? I could not believe she said that. Who is paying her salary? I was furious. Needless to say I did not get along with her the remainder of the year. I am tired of "establishment" telling me how to raise my child. This is a kid who has had perfect attendence for almost every year. I think in 4th grade he had a stomach virus and stayed home one day. I really did not care about the grades since grades really don't count until you are in high school. How many times do you pull out your own grade school report cards? Just had to vent a little.

"hom skool"????

I think someone needs to research who has been winning the national spelling bees the past several years.

Don't even get ME started!!!:mad:

I'm a home educator for my three kids and believe me, we look forward to our Disney vacation for a multitude of reasons. I haven't always homeschooled though. My oldest went to public school for 3 years and my younger dd went for 1. My ds probably never will attend public school. We were fortunate though in having teachers (not principals) who understood the benefits of a family vacation and 2 teachers who understood the benefits of a Disney vacation. Each year we would inform the teacher as soon as we knew when we were heading to Disney and what work could we do ahead of time (note: AHEAD of time) so that our child could enjoy her vacation. One teacher said, "Bring back pictures" another requested that journal work be kept up (each student in the class journalled each day) another sent an ABC sheet for our kindie dd to fill out with words that started with those letters (which we actually did on the way down) and each teacher asked that the students send in a postcard to the class that they wrote themselves. That wasn't too hard to ask of kids.

The school that my children would now attend has a "no vacation policy" in force. Students aren't allowed to miss any school for anything other than illness (more than 3 days in a row requires a doctors written excuse to make up work) or a death in the family provided the person who died is a parent, sibling or grandparent. (No aunts, uncles, cousins or close family friends) They can miss 3 days for a parent or sibling's death and 1 day for a grandparent's death unless the grandparent was the legal guardian.

Now, do you want to know why the schools do this? Two reasons. First (which has been mentioned) is money. If a student is out of school the school looses money. Bottom line, we want more kids in school so we get more money. Second is parent inaccountability. Too many parents cannot account for their own children. That's why doctor's excuses are needed. The administration can't trust parents to tell the truth that their children really are sick. Sure a trip to Disney CAN be educational, but WILL it? We can't trust these parents to educate their own children. When I was in high school I missed 3 months of school. 3 MONTHS of school because I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rhuematoid Arthritis. The school called after the first week to see what was up. My parents explained that I had JRA and that I might miss a lot of school over the next few months. They said fine and a friend brought me my school work that the teachers told me to "work at as I could and not stress about getting everything done" And you know what? I still passed 9th grade with a B+ average even though I didn't do all my work. My parents never send in a note (theirs or doctor's) because the school system expected parents to be accountable for their children.

My children are home educated. All I have to do is make promises to the principal to go to WDW ;) My dh knows that I am accountable ;)

:earsgirl:

Originally posted by Belle5
"hom skool"????

I think someone needs to research who has been winning the national spelling bees the past several years.

Don't even get ME started!!!:mad:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I posted my "huh???" LOL I guess I wasn't the only one who took it that way.

I love it when those who don't have a clue about hs'ing deride it. My 4th grader is finishing his 2nd week in a private school after being hs'ed for the past 3 years. It might interest Mr./Ms. "Hom Skool" to know that my 10 YEAR OLD HOMESCHOOLED CHILD was tested by his school (Peabody Individual Achievement Test) and is reading at a 12th grade level. His overall knowledge/performance level is that of an 8th grader. And THIS is the product of a RELAXED homeschool. "Hom skool" .. yeah, right, whatever!! ;)

FWIW, to return to the original topic, before we enrolled ds in this school, we informed the principal that we take yearly vacations during the school year and wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a problem. It isn't. :) Of course, my attitude was that for what we're paying for him to go there, *they* were not going to tell me that we couldn't take him out! LOL

Originally posted by DiznEeyore
I love it when those who don't have a clue about hs'ing deride it. My 4th grader is finishing his 2nd week in a private school after being hs'ed for the past 3 years. It might interest Mr./Ms. "Hom Skool" to know that my 10 YEAR OLD HOMESCHOOLED CHILD was tested by his school (Peabody Individual Achievement Test) and is reading at a 12th grade level. His overall knowledge/performance level is that of an 8th grader.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to respond to that. The A Beka crowd is such an easy mark, and Oh So Sensitive!

I have a clue, thank you very much. I have friends (acquaintances) and family that are h.s'ing.

My child is also age 10, and in the top 1% in the country in math, and the top 25% in reading/comprehension. Great. Wonderful. He also attends public school. Does that make p.s. better? No. Does that make h.s. better? No.

What bothers me most about h.s. is, IMO, a great majority of unqualified parents (I would estimate the ratio being 10 to 1, unqualified vs. qualified) who h.s. their children. I know most (NOT ALL) do it for convenience and a variety of other (lame) reasons.

I was an honor student in the top 10% of my class, with a 3.5 GPA. I would not even attempt to h.s. my children, because I do not believe I am qualified. But I know A LOT of parents that h.s their children who barely made it through high school themselves.

THAT is my contention with it.

Nutshell: Qualified parents, knock yourselves out; your children will probably be better for it. Unqualified parents, be honest with yourselves and stop the disservice to your children.

I know quite a few "unqualified" parents that hs. I'm the organizer for a local HS support group and yes; the majority of parents who are hsing are not "qualified" BUT that doesn't mean that they aren't doing a wonderful job and their children are excelling. Many of these parents are hsing because they felt lost by the system when they themselves were in school. Most of these students are self motivated and do well. The curriculum that the parents use show the parents how to teach and as the children get into the upper levels there are LOTS of resources to help guide them through upper level math, science, social studies, computers, etc. One of our moms doesn't even have a high school degree, but her 4 teenaged children are some of the brightest that I have seen. The number of parents who are hsing for "lame" reasons or because they are "lazy" is actually quite low in comparison to the number of parents that are allowing their children to be failed by the school system because they don't care about their children's education.

As a side note, I know many public (and private) school teachers that have a piece of paper saying they are qualified but are totally clueless as to teaching children. The teacher that my youngest dd had when I pulled her out couldn't even speak correct English grammar. I am not joking! I was the room mother for that class and spent several hours a day in her class and would cringe everytime I would hear her say something like "we's be gonna" And don't even get me started on the inadequacies of my oldest dd's 3rd grade teacher (which was the teacher that started me on this wonderful venture!)

:earsgirl:

Originally posted by HitchhikingGhost
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to respond to that. The A Beka crowd is such an easy mark, and Oh So Sensitive!
Well, if you were looking for an "easy mark", I guess you found one or two. ;) That says a lot about your character, doesn' t it?

I have a clue, thank you very much. I have friends (acquaintances) and family that are h.s'ing.
I think not. If you yourself don't homeschool, then you don't have a clue what it takes. I don't care how many homeschoolers you think you know.

My child is also age 10, and in the top 1% in the country in math, and the top 25% in reading/comprehension. Great. Wonderful. He also attends public school. Does that make p.s. better? No. Does that make h.s. better? No.
Nifty! Your kiddo may be in the upper percentage, but I'm willing to bet it's for his GRADE LEVEL, not a jr. high or h.s. level. Homeschooled kids routinely score far above age-appropriate grade levels.

What bothers me most about h.s. is, IMO, a great majority of unqualified parents (I would estimate the ratio being 10 to 1, unqualified vs. qualified) who h.s. their children. I know most (NOT ALL) do it for convenience and a variety of other (lame) reasons.

CONVENIENCE???? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You think it's CONVENIENT to have your kids home all day, every day and come up with appropriate lessons, activities, and more? I guarantee you homeschooling parents are the hardest-working teachers out there.

It doesn't require a teaching degree to effectively homeschool your child; I am proof of that. It requires dedication, love and a willingness to sacrifice time, energy and more to provide the BEST education, one that is not a mass-produced, run by the state kid-mill that turns out adults who can't even read.

MY contention is that this thread ISN'T about homeschooling, and you just showed your own ignorance by lashing out for NO REASON at people you don't even know. That's not in the spirit of these boards. I hope a mod locks this thread so you can't spew out any more of your ridiculous prejudices. :rolleyes:

Excellent job DiznEeyore!!! I couldn't have said it better!(Especially about homeschooling being convienient!!)LOL

:)

Well I just spent over an hour responding to the above attacks on home schooling.I started looking up DS's old grade and test scores and comparing them to his current grades and scores, trying to justify our decision to home school. Well the computer froze up and I lost the post. I took some time to walk away from the situation. Now that I am back with a clear head I realize that there are people in this world who think it is their business to tell everyone what they should and should not do. They will bring up subjects that are completely off topic just to get attention for themselves, and to push their prejudiced opinions. I know that Home schooling is the best decision for my family, that is all that counts, and not someone's uneducated opinion on the matter.

Whew! I guess you all told me!

Go to the top of page three and re-read all the posts. You will see that I was not the one attacking; I merely came to the defense of someone else. You are the ones attacking, not only me but my child as well. How does my character enter into my observation that the h.s'ing folks are sensitive? Looks to me like you are!

I stated there were problems with both p.s. and h.s. The difference is I can accept that and do all I can to help the p.s. system that my children are in.

Save it for the debate board. I will move it there.

My apologies to everyone for coming to the defense of another poster and getting off the original post subject.

:rolleyes:

Go to the top of page three and re-read all the posts. You will see that I was not the one attacking; I merely came to the defense of someone else. You are the ones attacking, not only me but my child as well. How does my character enter into my observation that the h.s'ing folks are sensitive? Looks to me like you are!

You really don't believe that do you? Who were you defending? Your post was nothing but a continuous attach on Homeschooling. As my DH just said, when you come back to reality, instead of what you think you said, then we will talk about it.

Here we go again, DISNEY GUILT SYNDROME has struck the Family Board...

I have read much but haven't been motivated to post anywhere on these fine boards until recently. Here's my 2.5 cents for you. No guarantees its what you want to hear, though...

Your children are YOURS and no one elses! YOU are responsible for them, what happens ultimately to them, and what needs to be done...

When the expectations of an organizational system, like a school, differ from Family Values, like pulling the kiddos out to vacay at WDW (hope you flew :teeth: ) you're bound to get resistance. Why fight it??? Remember that the Principal is your PAL, and also the HEAD-HONCHO of the school, so what says by her/him GOES!! You can refute, rebuff, resort to tantrums, etc., but she has given her opinion and metered-out the consequence for Outfield Playing and I think, as a mature adult, you should just accept it. And I really don't see anything credible with the "Disney Is Educational" shtick. PULLLLEASE keep that argument in the recycle bin - we all know you went on a vacation, and your kids were probably not tutored...

But hey, relish in the fact that you likely had a good time!!! So what that your children's princiPAL doesn't approve??? Are you the type who looks for love in all the wrong places??? :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

All in fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter