• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Venting about school policy on Disney trip absences!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and teach at a school in Gordo(25 mins from Tuscaloosa). Unfortunately, we're about 10 hours from DW, but we charter a bus and go!

Our school district allows for family vacations to be counted as excusable absences. We had no trouble taking our DD 12 out of school. She got her work assignments in advance and we took her work with us on vacation. We got some of it done on the plane, and we were able to finish it, before we left to come back home, she did not lose one point off of any of her papers for the work being turned in late either.

Okay I'm moving where Verandah Man lives.

Nevermind, I'm moving where fiveforall lives.

One or the other. LOL

:wave: BibbidyBobbidyBoo,

I think you might be better off moving where "fiveforall" lives, they are 10 hours closer to WDW than we are, and we are in the middle of one of our coldest and snowiest(sp) winters in a long time. In fact it is snowing again this morning, and more snow is expected Sunday into Monday morning!!!

Sorry I didn't read all 80+ posts, I only read the first few and last few. (guess when my parents took me out of school for WDW when I was 11 made me lazy.)

We took our dd out of school in grade 2 and grade 3, both times in April. While her grade 2 teacher said, "Go, have fun, no extra homework." A 3rd grade teacher who was eavesdropping said, "How could you take your kids out of school for a vacation?" She turned green about it too. I said, "How could I not?" The second time dd missed school was in grade 3. Very supportive teacher. The Principal and VP knew about the trips too and said GO HAVE FUN. I look at things a little differently. See, my dd was born with complex congential heart defects that can not be repaired. I don't really care if she misses school to ENJOY a vacation. I don't go out of my way to make Disney educational, however, it tends to have many educational qualities. DH and I chatted about going in March 2004 because dd wouldn't miss too much school, but then we all talked about it and we love going in April, so when dd is in the 5th grade she will miss about 10 days of school. She'll do just fine catching up and the teacher will say, "Go, have fun!" S

Oh Verandah... how right you are. I didn't realize where you lived and no way could I handle such cold (and long?) winters. I'm a Texan.
LOL

This is what we are dealing with today and Monday.

62Feb_16__2003_snowfall-med.jpg

Hi all! I skipped to the end of the thread, so if this has already been given, I apologize.

I found a website that has a section for kids to make up a journal of their WDW trip. It even includes some pages for Disney Cruise. There are questions for them to answer about every "world".

I will be taking my DS, age 5, out of school for 9 days in May. Haven't told school yet. He goes to Catholic school, so I'm hoping they are a little more understanding. We'll see.

Here's the website:

http://www.disneydollarless.com/journal/journal.shtml

There's also an disney alphabet for younger children to practice with:

http://www.disneydollarless.com/educational/educational.shtml

Enjoy!

I don't understand the need to take your child out of school, when there are many oppurtunities.

Christmas
Summer
Spring Break
Thanksgiving
Easter

...and many several other oppurtunities to go to WDW without limiting the education of your child.

I am not saying WDW isn't educational, it is. I don't believe that is a valid excuse for removing your child from school. Is it less educational when school is out? These educational packets, journals, and the like will be around during summer, Christmas, and Easter.WDW will always be there. The chance for family fun will be there for many years. The chance for your child to learn isn't.

Child should be taken out of school for serious matters. (Sickness, funeral, wedding). Not to meet Micky Mouse.

Plus, if you go on vacation during schooltime, where will your kid go during Summer? Most kids live for the Summer, they count it down on their calendars. Taking them out of school is like cheating. Wouldn't you have your child educated during the Summer, where there is no other means? Or would you rather have him/her watching Spongebob Squarepants all Summer?

Just my opinion, not a manifesto on how to parent your children.

As a former teacher who had students go to Mexico for a month at a time, I can agree that sometimes students should not be taken out of school. However, if the parent is not able to go in the summer or at other times because of work, then there are reasons to go during school time. Holidays cost more $$$ at holidays with shorter hours. Let's face it, family is more important than a couple days out from school. Okay, that is just my opinion because I would have loved to have a few mother daugher days when I was in school (as a stright A student)

I can understand parents, with limitations on when they may take their vacations from work, taking their kids out of school for a family vacation.

What I don't understand is parents yanking their kids out of school just so they don't have to wait in lines as long. Is getting in that 2 or 3 extra rides a day worth a child missing a weeek of school?

I will admit that we took my daughter out of school for WDW vacations for a couple years. My daughter has never received a grade lower than "A" in any course she has ever taken. The times we took her out were to accomodate large reunion type vacations where we are dealing with families spread far and wide trying to juggle vacation plans.

My daughter is currently on the all "A" honor roll while taking advanced levels in all courses in 6th grade. SHE has made it clear to us that she does not ever want to miss a week of school again for a vacation. She feels that she has fallen behind the times we have taken her out for vacations.

What REALLY floored me was an earlier post from someone who had a son who does "Not so good in school", (Cant remember the exact description, but that's close), but they are taking him out of school for a week anyway.

If a Disney Vacation is such a valuable educational experience, why is there not a section in school studies where thay actually study WDW?

I'll tell ya why....Because the "Disney as an educational experience", is an excuse for parents to make their lives more convenient.

The original post in this thread was dealing with whether WDW is an educational trip or not. Thus whether to take your children out of school for the trip. Well, I'm one of the parents who did take my children to WDW with the blessings of their respective schools. I'm the parent that retrieved educational packets from Epcot (last year) that the teachers have now incorporated into their curriculum(this year).

When a family can go to WDW can depend on many things, and I wonder if those who thinks the timing of a WDW trip means the lack of riding 2 or 3 rides a day, has every been there in the normal summer time?

Our family must scrimp and save for three years to make our trips to WDW, and believe me, we've tried the summer vacation time at WDW and it was after that, we chose to go during school if at all possible. Does that make me a bad parent? Does that mean that I don't care about my children's education? I tell you the answer is a resounding NO!!

Another item that I'd like to bring to light is, there is a program at WDW that SCHOOLS are taking the kids OUT of their classrooms to go to these programs that are held at WDW. If you should be so inclined to read any more about these programs, here's the link.

BTW MANY schools have these trips, the prices are VERY affordable as far as WDW trips goes.

http://disney.go.com/DisneyWorld/disneyyouthprograms/YouthEducationSeries/curriculum.html

Boy, this is one of the longest threads I've ever seen! I feel SOOOOO fortunate!!! I live in NJ which is one of the easiest states to homeschool in and my children's school actually allows a one time/yr. family vacation. It cannnot be longer than 10 school days, parents must give 2 weeks notice, and the time allowed for make up work shall not exceed the time missed. Great, huh? I'm not rubbing it in but trying to ease the guilty feelings so many parents have expressed in their posts. How bad can it be if some school systems openly give parents this option? I have only used this once in the 7 yrs my kids have been in school. We went to the Smithsonian (No one could argue that that isn't educational!) for 3 days. I really resent it when schools try to tell you what is best for your child. I could go on about this but it's been covered thoroughly. I would like to comment, though, on the off-shoot topic of h.s. verses p.s. This issue has gone the way of breast vs. bottle and stay-at-home vs. working mom! I have strong feelings on all of these topics but I do not attack anyone who doesn't do as I do! (If I did I wouldn't have any friends left!) We begin h.s.'ing our kids after 6th grade. So I have experience w/ both sides of this issue. When I read the original post I thought for sure that very early in the thread I would see some h.s.'ers tauting homeschooling as a way of avoiding the restraints of p.s. attendance policies. Instead the FIRST reference to homeschooling was the jab "or you could hom skool. (don't get me started)" I've seen this "Hom Skool" stuff on tee shirts! And then someone had the nerve to call home schoolers "Oh So Sensitive". Gee, I wonder why? I feel the majority of attacks are in one direction. When you do what the majority does, you're safe. When you stray from that, you are open game. When was the last time you saw a post or tee shirt that read, "publyk skooled"? Hooray to Catwho and the others who stood up for homeschooling!!! Person's who bust on h.s.'ing usually do so for 2 reasons: #1. They have never done it. #2. They get a negative impression bc. the persons they know who hs are not dedicated enough to do it properly. As to being qualified, while I have a college degree, I do not claim to be qualified in the same way as a certified teacher. But, I believe we hs'ing moms & dads offset this every day. We are talking about intricacies of h.s.'ing known only to those who have done it. Ways that we uncertified educators teach our children that a public school teacher never could. For example when my son was in ps I'd ask him what he learned that day. He would answer, "You know, the usual". Now he studies his Science at the kitchen table as I peel potatoes. When he finishes he may say, "Mom, did you know that....." and we proceed w/ a discussion on what he just learned. To this I can tie in family experiences, etc. to personalize and re-enforce his lesson. Can a public school teacher do this for each child in her class? No. Does that make her "unqualified" to teach my children? No. Another example: After he does his math we check his answers together and find out WHY he got certain problems wrong, and correct them. Do ps teachers have the time to do this. No. They usually just return the papers w/ red marks indicating wrong answers and the kid stuffs the paper into his backpack. There are hundreds of examples like this. My point is that dedicated hs'ers bring in strengths that more than make up for their lack of certification. And PLEASE don't think you know enough to form an opinion on home schooling until you've actually done it yourself!!!!

This is an interesting thread and so many people have such good points. I've enjoyed reading all of these viewpoints.

As for us, we don't take DS out of school for trips to WDW for two reasons: 1. the districts here consider it unexcused absences no matter what and 2. we go to WDW for the purpose of having fun, not to be educated! If we learn as we go along that's fine but we go primarily to play and relax and have fun together. We're going during Spring Break soon and it may be crowded but we'll have a blast! :)

I've read everyone's comments with interest and can't really add much as I'm in a different country and home educate/school anyway, so getting permission for us to spend time together as a family is a mute point! :)

This thread is so long that I've lost track of who started it - but I hope you felt better about your decision in the end, or at least that Principal's reaction. It seemed very unfair that she would keep their marks down for no other reason than your children missed some days. I really don't understand that - it sounded rather vindictive.

In general, the education system would have to be very poor indeed if just missing a few days meant a child failed both in their education and as an adult - don't you think?!!!

Can't believe this is still going on,

I've posted before on this topic but want to again. About homeschool, I did it for the first half of this year. I am a certified teacher. I loved it. My dd however loves interacting with other children. Without a doubt I could not fill her desire to be around others with out spending a fortune on gymnastics, etc. At one point, a friend of mine decided to take her dd out of kinder and home school her and we tried to get together to do things. I found it rather hard to get with a group of homeschoolers as each family has a different reason for homeschooling and it seems that they wanted me to go along with their reasons if we joined the group.
I don't think my dd is getting a better academic education at PS but I do think her need for being around other kids is being filled. Mind you some of the kids are ones I would not have her be around if it were just me arranging time with others.
I hope that me allowing her time at PS will let her learn that there are many types of people in the world, all with different viewpoints, backgrounds, likes and dislikes, etc. I used to think that I wouldn't want my dd in PS even if I was teaching the class but the time I've spent learning my dd reactions to situations taught me that I have to let her experience things for herself w/o me. I'm not saying that this is a reason for everyone not to homeschool. If my dd wasn't the way she is and had a need that for more one on one instruction, easily distracted and not needing lots of interaction with others I would make a different choice. You see I've kept away from using the word socialization because my dd is very social. When people say " You must PS for the social aspects" the listener hears " HS is for social misfits" It seems to me that most people do not homeschool for academic reasons but for values. Be them religous in nature, social issues, etc. When the rare occasion that I've heard of comes up where a family is unhappy with the academic teachings of a PS there are always other issues brought up when talking with them about their complaints. " Nothing was done about the bully." and " the whole class was mean" Or " My ds/dd changed"
To end my weird rant, I love homeschooling for whatever reasons a family chooses and I, as a teacher and a parent, like PS. The freedom of HS is the best. The glow on my dd face when I pick my her up from PS is even better.;)

So if you got through this mangled post, do what you have to do. Go to WDW when it's best for your family. And when is a trip to WDW not good? Never!:bounce:

jenjenmouse, I really enjoyed reading your post. It was very warm and non-judgemental. As a parent currently having children in both ps and hs, I avoid mentioning the fact that I hs to teachers I meet bc. their reaction is usually negative. So it was nice to hear from a teacher who has a positive view of hs'ing. :p
I can understand your dd's need to have the company of other children. That played into our decision to send our kids to ps until after 6th grade. I have often heard the "lack of socialization" argument against hs'ing. In answer, I use my son's own words. During 6th grade he would say to me, "This year I'm really starting to feel different." He told me how his piers had begun dating (including sex), using alcohol, and foul language. While he had never had a lack of friends, he was seeing how many were not sharing the same morals and values that he had been raised w/. He wanted to be homeschooled. We have 4 children, so there is plenty of interaction within our own home and my son has afterschool friends who attend a local private school. I never said that he couldn't, but he has not kept in touch w/ anyone from his old ps. Recently, he told me how refreshing it is for him not to have to worry about pier pressure on things like hair style and clothing. He said, "It feels good to be able to be myself and not have to worry what others kids think of me." It's great that your dd "glows" after school. My ps kindergartener does too. But if that glow disappears, hs will be an option. It's a good feeling, isn't it, to know you have the power to make decisions that keep your children happy?:)

Crazymomof4,

Thanks for the comments. I know that when the upper grades roll around I might feel differently and I will continue to evaluate my dd progress in ps. I hope everything goes well as I really need to return to work as the bills from all these WDW trips are starting to stack up. ;) really the bills are from too much eating out and living beyond our means, but it is easier just to blame our WDW trips!

If I had more than one child and/or we had a lot of kids in the neighborhood that she( and I ) enjoyed being with, we might not have decided to try PS. Like with everything in life, one can not say definently what is "right" for someone else to do. It is nice to be able to discuss issues like these and hear different viewpoints because it can help you decide what is important to you.

Originally posted by jenjenmouse

It is nice to be able to discuss issues like these and hear different viewpoints because it can help you decide what is important to you.

Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter