Victoria and Alberts Dress Code

EmilyGahr

DIS Veteran
What’s the dress code at V&As? Are jackets required? Website says semi-formal / formal. If jackets are not required for men, would long dress pants and a polo shirt tucked in be acceptable?

From the Disney Park Advisor...

"Think elegance and sophistication. Men, we’re talking dinner jackets with dress pants, a collared dress shirt, and an optional tie."

Will you be denied entry wearing a golf shirt? Probably not if you have a dinner jacket over it. But why go to one of the finest restaurants anywhere and dress down?

Edit to add...You mention long dress pants; what are short dress pants?

From the Disney Park Advisor...

"Think elegance and sophistication. Men, we’re talking dinner jackets with dress pants, a collared dress shirt, and an optional tie."

Will you be denied entry wearing a golf shirt? Probably not if you have a dinner jacket over it. But why go to one of the finest restaurants anywhere and dress down?

Edit to add...You mention long dress pants; what are short dress pants?
Well, I have seen suits for sale with shorts instead of long trousers. I always assumed they were for beach weddings, but who knows . . .

They never made sense to me because the jacket looks like a regular suit jacket, long sleeves and all. I would think the jacket would be too hot if it was warm enough for the shorts.

This is from their e-mail when I booked:

"As for the dress code, Suit jackets are no longer required. At the very least, we require a long sleeved collared shirt. You may dress as formal as you like."

From my experience, for men, everyone was wearing both a jacket and tie, although ties have never been a requirement, you'd probably look out of place without at least a jacket.

We just dined there a week and half ago. Jackets are no longer required, but encouraged. My husband was one of three men total wearing one. Everyone else had button down and slacks.

I did notice the majority of people, while dressed appropriately, were much more casual than past experiences.

Wow. That’s a huge relaxation in the dress code from my last visit there maybe three years or so ago. Having seen this thread I’ll just bring a nice button-down shirt for next time without bothering with the jacket.

Went this June, wore a summer weight suit no tie in the Queen Victoria room. Everyone I saw had at least a suit jacket on.

Fine dining to me has always meant a jacket and usually a tie.
However, in Disney I have seen a lot of underdressed folks in most of the nicer restaurants. V&A was the last holdout til now.

For better or for worse, what is considered "formal" is changing. Fashion is always evolving. Right now, comfort is super important to people. The relaxation of dress codes is happening everywhere - offices, restaurants, etc. I am not surprised they have changed at V&A's. I'd probably still wear a suit, because I know that I look mighty sharp in one! 🙂 Still, the ocassions for needing to wear one are dwindling. It may swing back the other way eventually, but right now this is the mode we are in.

For better or for worse, what is considered "formal" is changing. Fashion is always evolving. Right now, comfort is super important to people. The relaxation of dress codes is happening everywhere - offices, restaurants, etc. I am not surprised they have changed at V&A's. I'd probably still wear a suit, because I know that I look mighty sharp in one! 🙂 Still, the ocassions for needing to wear one are dwindling. It may swing back the other way eventually, but right now this is the mode we are in.
That's kind of a shame but I agree with you. The last time I was on Broadway, I saw folks wearing shorts and t-shirts. My wife and I were dressed up.

That's kind of a shame but I agree with you. The last time I was on Broadway, I saw folks wearing shorts and t-shirts. My wife and I were dressed up.

Yeah, I do think it has swung too far too fast, but what are you gonna do? I do appreciate the more casual office attire I can choose to wear, though honestly I still stick pretty close to classic "business casual" and am one of the more dressed up people there.

We are celebrating our 46th anniversary this November at WDW and considering V & A's for our celebration. I currently have the Queen Victoria room booked. IS that OK? or should I try for a different room? Also, we are flying down to Florida and I wanted to manage 10 days with only a carryon. But now I am wondering about the dress code. For DH:. A tux is out of the question, and even a light weight suit for one meal would be more than we want to carry. For myself: a simple dress with pearls should be adequate and doable. Footwear is another matter. The day when I could wear heels is ancient history. I would have to wear comfortable flats or sandals. *sigh* I understand that this is a formal destination. Is there a tuxedo rental available in the GF? Or should we cancel our plans and just do the more casual California Grille, Jiko etc. ( we have those booked for this trip as well, but I wanted something a little more special on our anniversary).

Will we be out of place in less formal attire? (I understand that the dress code is more casual than in the past) Something like a collared shirt, vest and pants for DH and simple dress for me?

What would you do? Cancel or not?

We are celebrating our 46th anniversary this November at WDW and considering V & A's for our celebration. I currently have the Queen Victoria room booked. IS that OK? or should I try for a different room? Also, we are flying down to Florida and I wanted to manage 10 days with only a carryon. But now I am wondering about the dress code. For DH:. A tux is out of the question, and even a light weight suit for one meal would be more than we want to carry. For myself: a simple dress with pearls should be adequate and doable. Footwear is another matter. The day when I could wear heels is ancient history. I would have to wear comfortable flats or sandals. *sigh* I understand that this is a formal destination. Is there a tuxedo rental available in the GF? Or should we cancel our plans and just do the more casual California Grille, Jiko etc. ( we have those booked for this trip as well, but I wanted something a little more special on our anniversary).

Will we be out of place in less formal attire? (I understand that the dress code is more casual than in the past) Something like a collared shirt, vest and pants for DH and simple dress for me?

Your plans for dress are fine. Go. Enjoy! Congrats on your 46th anniversary!

Someone posted above that when they went, a total of only three men in the dining room were wearing a jacket. I would say keep your plans.

Someone posted above that when they went, a total of only three men in the dining room were wearing a jacket. I would say keep your plans.
This is what we wore. I had the wrap because I did get chilly by the end. I was the one who posted about the lack of jackets. It was also the end of August, which could have played a part. I’m sure the other half is now that they aren’t required, people don’t want to pack them. Ladies‘ footwear is also more relaxed, so dress sandals are okay.

I agree, keep your plans.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 48

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter