Visiting end of August

I am also going in a couple weeks.

From what I've heard crowds are moderate or leaning lower. Last year we went late June, and found that the heat was bad, but not horrific for myself or others we were traveling with. However, there were many people, and especially children who were beet red by 11am.

Typical of a Disney visit, we took an afternoon break and it was fine. I live in PA where if it is 98 during the day it will cool down slightly at night, but not like in FL where it cools down real nicely.

I saw someone above mention that the pool is like a hot bath when it is super hot so a break doesn't provide much relief. This was absolutely true last year.

I don't find August too crowded.

It's hot, but plenty of air conditioning so I don't really ever feel uncomfortable.

The rain is often unpredictable though. We had tropical storms and a tornado warning late last August.

This year will be our second end of August trip 8/23-8/31 (First two days will be Universal). We have also been twice in mid September. We found the crowds completely manageable last year as well as the heat. The only time I really felt that I was melting was on our arrival day waiting for the 3:00 pm Festival of Fantasy parade. I was soaked, so embarrassing, lol! Yes, quick rain showers in the afternoons, no biggie.

We are early morning, hotel/pool, dinner and park at night people too. This year, even more so as my son is finishing his last month of oral acne medicine and is very sun sensitive. I have it planned to get out of the parks early and get him back to the room and back out in early evening. PM EMH are my friend this year, lol.

What's Disney World like the last week of August? Crowd levels? Weather?
Went in 2015. Literally the last few days of August (26-31) and we just did MK and DHS (with a resort explore day off). It was an odd time to go because Labor day was still over a week away (late Labor Day that year).

Crowds were good, probably the smallest crowds I've seen in recent memory.

Weather? Not great, but tolerable.
EVERY day it rained .. torrential downpour sometime in the afternoon for at least 2 hours. We were well prepared with ponchos and managed it fine. We just hit meals during the downpours.
It was hot and steamy in the mornings, but we were prepared for that by making sure we started our day at rope drop.
Frankly the rain made the trip memorable as well as it drove away the crowds. Because it forced us to miss our 7DMT Fast pass, we got a "use ANYTIME" one that made our evening at MK very flexible (and we got to ride it in the dark).

All that being said, not sure how comparable it would be because during my trip:
1) Free Dining hadn't started yet (it started the day we left) (not sure when it starts this year).
2) The Halloween party hadn't started yet (now, I think it starts in August (not sure when).

It will just probably be a good time crowd wise and tons of kids are either back in school already or heading back to school.

I couldn't repeat this trip again because my son is now starting Kindergarten and his first day is Aug. 28. Shame .. because his birthday is the 27th (the reason we want in 2015).

We are thinking of last week of August next year. We go every couple years and will have 5/6 park days so it's not necessary to be in the park all day. We are hoping to get to a park for rope drop (taking advantage of AM EMH whenever they're offered), and make a TS reservation around noon. Then after that head back to the resort for either a relax in the room or maybe a little pool time. Then thinking of making FP for a second park starting at 5/6 (depending on hours). We won't be able to maximize FP that way, but we'll get to ride everything we want (most at least a couple times), and won't have to head back to the parks until 4-5.

Hoping that we'll be able to manage the morning from 8/9 till about noon, then the evening from 5ish on. I really think our biggest issue will be that 4-6 time frame where we are working our way back to another park for the evening.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for people that have been? I know it's still going to be hot/humid, but thinking that before about noon won't be TOO bad and our plan is to get a bunch done then. The evening will be for our 3 FP, anything that is very low wait, and maybe a night time show here and there.

We've done the last week of August and I'm planning it again for next year. Crowds are lower the later you get into August and you can get some good deals on rooms.

Yes it's hot. It's humid. But it's manageable IMO. We do RD, midday break by the pool and then head to our PM park around 5.
We have done that week as long as I can remember! Agree it is totally manageable...I don't think it's any hotter than here in PA same time of year. T Storms normally cool it off by early afternoon anyway! You can't get lower crowd levels than walking onto Space Mountain!

Oooh Juliehoey, we're pretty much on the same time frame, yay :) Thanks EVERYONE for all your nice posts----love this board!!!! Can't wait to goooooo, so excited.

My family went the last week of Aug last year and LOVED IT! The crowds are so much lower than we are use to, it made the whole trip awesome in our eyes! That being said, we are absolutely insane and decided to visit the park as Hurricane Hermes was currently happening, but if you can learn to dance in the rain and if you can deal with the poncho sweat its way worth it! I'm talking getting to ride EE 13 times and KS 4 times in one day at AK!

My family went the last week of Aug last year and LOVED IT! The crowds are so much lower than we are use to, it made the whole trip awesome in our eyes! That being said, we are absolutely insane and decided to visit the park as Hurricane Hermes was currently happening, but if you can learn to dance in the rain and if you can deal with the poncho sweat its way worth it! I'm talking getting to ride EE 13 times and KS 4 times in one day at AK!

That had to be the same day we went last year. Everest in the dark and rain over and over again was awesome. We'll be there again this year, and I am so bummed about the lack of evening hours at AK.

That had to be the same day we went last year. Everest in the dark and rain over and over again was awesome. We'll be there again this year, and I am so bummed about the lack of evening hours at AK.

I was at AK that day too. The rain was cold too. I remember being cold with a sweater on.

I think Hermine was the same time we were in MK, last week of August 2016, and it was downpouring! My group were the only ones walking into line at HM, there was nobody else around. The dark night and the heavy rain gave it an eerie feel. The CM working opened the door suddenly and said something appropriately startling for the attraction. It was the first time I have actually felt creeped out at MK! It was the best night even though we were wet and cold. Heard the next day that there had been a tornado or a tornado warning nearby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter