VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I did it yesterday. Don't know how I am going to access it. Probably the pc some. My son will use his xbox, but other than that I will worry about that later!

Hope all groupies are doing well and staying cool. Monday we had a heat index of 112 and I felt every bit of it. It was better today. We had a cool front which brought us some much needed rain.

Yes, the Star Wars hotel will be out of my league also. Right now I just wish I had the time to go home to the lodge. I have a cruise in a month, so I guess that will have to be enough for a while.
I am happy that I don’t have to deal with that heat. It’s good you have had some relief.

Enjoy your cruise! Maybe someday we’ll find ourselves on the same one! :goodvibes

Morning, Groupies! The end of the work week approaches, and I'm already needing the Labor Day break. I know; I'm a wuss. To be fair, all in all no complaints this school year. I did find out that I have to attend a seminar on rules about the one-act play competition we do each fall. As it's a Virginia High School League competition, we have the same general guidelines for student participation: recent physical, passing grades, etc. This seminar is mandatory and is about rules for the theater competition. Ummm, just exactly how does one cheat in theater? Either your play is 35 minutes or less or it's not. And either your students are eligible or they're not--we already have to turn in a form showing all our students met requirements. Perhaps the other theater teams can't throw things on stage? Maybe no laser pointers? Oh, I know, perhaps no Shakespeare unless you hand out a common English translation to the audience! pirate:

If don't see anyone being at the World this weekend, but if anyone is who reads this, stay safe! My oldest and her family are planning to evac to Orlando from Melbourne. Right now, Melbourne is just north of the impact point which is a double-whammy. Have a good rest of the week!

Oh, KAT, you might check Play It Again Sports for used scuba gear! :rolleyes1

Kathy...this is a great tip! I had no idea that we had free access to D23. And that they have this kind of discount. I went ahead and bit the bullet on Disney+...interesting that in order to get the discount you have to prepay the 3 years. But still, in the scheme of things, less than $4 a month for their content should be a pretty good deal.

Now if I can just figure out how to get this added to my smart TV and my Roku! :)

We have TIVO on the two TVs that are watched most. Called Tivo and they aren't sure if they will carry it or not. Honestly I would be shocked if they didn't. We also have Apple TV on our bedroom tv. I really want Disney+ but can't bring myself to shell out the money for 3 years of it until I know Tivo will be carrying it. I am the one who would watch it the most - more than likely in my office as I am working.

Well, I've decided to put the CCV cabin lakeviews to the test! <GULP> So there you go room assignor. Just try and stop me from having a room that looks at the lake this time! :beach::boat:

Life goes by fast and I somehow had banked points so......... Still a difficult decision to make not just because of the points but because I was looking forward to stay at VWL which I haven't done since just before they started building CCV. I have stayed at CCV so I've been back to the resort for a stay, just not at our lodge. This was just the right group for the Cabins though. So now to figure out which area to request. I automatically think down at the end by VWL but was curious if any groupies had ever thought of their preference? The northern end I see as good for fireworks views and closer to boat transportation. The southern cabins I think of as more quiet, closer to bus transporation and the quiet pool. Also, I know there's a grilling pavillion down at the VLW end (I think the larger of the two that were put in?) and I think a new sports court? Is there any playground equipment left at the resort? So far I can't find a map that shows the grilling pavilions nor any pictures of them. Still looking though! (Found the info on the grills and it was what I remembered from walking around. Also seems like no more playground equipment at the Lodge :( )

Last edited:

Patrick...thank you for taking us with you on your trip down memory lane. Those are some great pictures, and certainly pull at the memory heartstrings. While I am wistful for some of the former look and feel of the grounds, I can certainly understand why they mean even more to you.

Amazing how the years fly by. I remember you talking about your wedding...seems like yesterday. 🤵👰

Hey, @Granny where did you find the groom emoji!!??? The iPhone groom emoji has a ‘stache! 🤵🏻

I'm just being a complete smarty pants Bobbi! I've never had lakeview at VWL so I suspect I'm down under a "don't allow her to see the water" category! ;) I figure they're hiding a non-lakeview cabin for me somewhere!
Well, here’s some pixiedust: And some morepixiedust:

We had this cabin once, it was convenient and you saw the side stream, and the fireworks.

Attachments

• C015C13C-9833-48C7-B7C1-72B136325F0F.jpeg
    C015C13C-9833-48C7-B7C1-72B136325F0F.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 83FEDF54-CDF2-4D39-B2CF-0DA17F0C5285.jpeg
    83FEDF54-CDF2-4D39-B2CF-0DA17F0C5285.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 10
You go, KAT! I think the largest grilling pavilion is on the north end close to the cabin that bobbi shows above. It would be a tough decision on which end to request. I might almost ask for the north end simply because I'm not as familiar with that side of the Lodge nor of its views. Either way, your days of no lake views may finally be over!

Well, I've decided to put the CCV cabin lakeviews to the test! <GULP> So there you go room assignor. Just try and stop me from having a room that looks at the lake this time! :beach::boat:

Kathy....wow, a stay in the CCV Cabins! If that doesn't impress your group, you need to check to see if they have a pulse!

Here's a map with the cabins.

CCV Cabins map.jpg

I've never stayed in the cabins, but I think I would pick from the red or blue circle areas if I booked a cabin. Basically, just trying to keep the walking distance fairly manageable.

Off the top of my head, I'd say this about the options:

Northern (red circle) cabins:

Pros: Closer to the boat dock. May be quieter than other cabins especially during EWP. I think these cabins should also have good MK fireworks views, especially as you get down to the end (closer to the monorail track).

Cons: Boat traffic all day long, boat whistles louder since it is closer to the dock? Maybe early morning boat whistles? Also, farther from bus stop. Can't see EWP from the cabins?

Southern (blue circle) cabins:

Pros: Closer to Geyser Point and the bus stop. Great view of EWP. Boat traffic not as pronounced though still significant, especially the FW/CR/WL lake boat.

Cons: EWP might blast you out of your socks from that distance! Farther from the boat dock than the north side cabins.

Really, I'm not sure that there is a huge benefit to one area versus the other. And if you do end up further out from the center, you will be closer to parking if you rent a car.

If you are worried about having a really long walk, the last cabin on the northern end is closer to the action than the last cabin on the southern end.

Those cabins are really amazing.

And if it interests you, you can also purchase additional FPs as part of booking the cabins (or Grand Villas) per this article: Grand Villas qualify to buy extra FPs

Per the article:

Back in January 2018, Walt Disney World quietly launched a test program which allowed select guests to purchase additional FastPasses during their stay. The perk was initially offered to guests staying in Club-level accommodations at Disney resorts--including the handful of DVC Club rooms at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas--plus the watertop bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows and the Cascade Cabins at Disney's Copper Creek Villas & Cabins.
For a fee of $50 per individual, per day, guests staying in eligible accommodations would receive three additional FastPasses booked up to 90 days prior to arrival.
Multiple sources have confirmed that this perk is now being offered to guests staying in Grand Villas throughout Walt Disney World, including DVC Members booking those rooms with points.
The additional FastPasses must be booked directly through Disney Signature Services. Guests wishing to purchase the addtional FastPasses must buy into the program for at least 3 days at a total cost of $150 per person ($50 per day times 3 days.) However there is no length-of-stay requirement and the 3 days do not have to be consecutive. Also, there is no mandate that all registered guests staying in the villa participate in the program.

I'm not sure I'd take advantage of buying more FPs for $150 per person for three days, but if it was a special trip it might be worth it. Enjoy your trip planning, Kathy! :)

Last edited:
You go, KAT! I think the largest grilling pavilion is on the north end close to the cabin that bobbi shows above. It would be a tough decision on which end to request. I might almost ask for the north end simply because I'm not as familiar with that side of the Lodge nor of its views. Either way, your days of no lake views may finally be over!

Thanks Sleepy! And to be completely fair, CCV has given me lakeviews. It's just that little place I still call VWL that won't! I think the cabin stay views will carry over to VWL and temper my lakeview quest there. Maybe. For a little while at least. :teeth:

At VWL I can continue to go up to the 3rd floor or so and press my forehead against the hallway glass window to get my VWL pool/lakeview. :eeyore: ;)

Kathy....wow, a stay in the CCV Cabins! If that doesn't impress your group, you need to check to see if they have a pulse!

Here's a map with the cabins.

View attachment 431100

I've never stayed in the cabins, but I think I would pick from the red or blue circle areas if I booked a cabin. Basically, just trying to keep the walking distance fairly manageable.

Off the top of my head, I'd say this about the options:

Northern (red circle) cabins:

Pros: Closer to the boat dock. May be quieter than other cabins especially during EWP. I think these cabins should also have good MK fireworks views, especially as you get down to the end (closer to the monorail track).

Cons: Boat traffic all day long, boat whistles louder since it is closer to the dock? Maybe early morning boat whistles? Also, farther from bus stop. Can't see EWP from the cabins?

Southern (blue circle) cabins:

Pros: Closer to Geyser Point and the bus stop. Great view of EWP. Boat traffic not as pronounced though still significant, especially the FW/CR/WL lake boat.

Cons: EWP might blast you out of your socks from that distance! Farther from the boat dock than the north side cabins.

Really, I'm not sure that there is a huge benefit to one area versus the other. And if you do end up further out from the center, you will be closer to parking if you rent a car.

If you are worried about having a really long walk, the last cabin on the northern end is closer to the action than the last cabin on the southern end.

Those cabins are really amazing.

And if it interests you, you can also purchase additional FPs as part of booking the cabins (or Grand Villas) per this article: Grand Villas qualify to buy extra FPs

Per the article:

Back in January 2018, Walt Disney World quietly launched a test program which allowed select guests to purchase additional FastPasses during their stay. The perk was initially offered to guests staying in Club-level accommodations at Disney resorts--including the handful of DVC Club rooms at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas--plus the watertop bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows and the Cascade Cabins at Disney's Copper Creek Villas & Cabins.
For a fee of $50 per individual, per day, guests staying in eligible accommodations would receive three additional FastPasses booked up to 90 days prior to arrival.
Multiple sources have confirmed that this perk is now being offered to guests staying in Grand Villas throughout Walt Disney World, including DVC Members booking those rooms with points.
The additional FastPasses must be booked directly through Disney Signature Services. Guests wishing to purchase the addtional FastPasses must buy into the program for at least 3 days at a total cost of $150 per person ($50 per day times 3 days.) However there is no length-of-stay requirement and the 3 days do not have to be consecutive. Also, there is no mandate that all registered guests staying in the villa participate in the program.

I'm not sure I'd take advantage of buying more FPs for $150 per person for three days, but if it was a special trip it might be worth it. Enjoy your trip planning, Kathy! :)

Thanks for the map and giving your breakdown on the cabins Granny!!! All very good points. I know that if the walking trail were open to FW I'd definitely want that end of the cabins and I do love that end of the resort but as you also mention it's a prime time to check out the other end. And Bobbi's experience and pictures make that area look great and alleviate concerns about the boats.

The paid FP's? Yeah. No.

I happily pay for Max pass at DL but that's all on the fly like FP's used to be. When I compare Disney offering to Universal's anytime/all time express pass or DL's Max pass I just can't find anywhere near the same value. Planning for 3 more FP's just sounds like torture and I don't generally like to pay for torture. :crazy: We'll have my great nephew along who is 1 1/2 so it's a bit more go with the flow type trip and I figure more resort time since he loves the water. A little earlier bedtime too so the hot tub and fireplace will get put to good use as the little guy sleeps the night away getting prepared for the next day. :)

Excitement is really kicking in now that the decision to go for it has been made!

KAT
Excited for you that you will finally see the water:teeth:
Seriously, happy you folks are going to experience the cabins. I imagine a cup o Joe early am while taking in the lake view via the screen porch will be a plus(or a favorite nightcap)
Cant wait to hear your thoughts

The paid FP's? Yeah. No.

I happily pay for Max pass at DL but that's all on the fly like FP's used to be. When I compare Disney offering to Universal's anytime/all time express pass or DL's Max pass I just can't find anywhere near the same value. Planning for 3 more FP's just sounds like torture and I don't generally like to pay for torture. :crazy:

I agree, I just wanted to be sure you knew about the ability to buy FPs if you book the Cabins. I wonder if they are subject to the same restrictions...in other words, if you have booked a FP for a "Premium Attraction" at DHS (pretty much all of them), then are you still blocked out from booking additional Premium Attraction FPs? That would seem to defeat the purpose of buying new ones. And I agree, having experienced DL's Max Pass and Universal's Express Pass, this one seems like a half-baked idea. It is interesting that they are trying to entice people to book the Bungalows and Cabins though. I have a feeling that somewhere down the line they may reallocate points at PBV and CCV to make the Bungalows and Cabins more attractive for booking. Of course, that would increase the regular villas point schedule. :sad2:

Kathy...glad to hear that you are excited to start planning your trip. Best wishes all around for a wonderful trip full of great memories! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter