wake up 3am to reserve dining?

traveler_t

Earning My Ears
It seems that people in the west coast need to wake up at 3am in order to reserve a character dining spot or it will all be taken. Is this what people are actually doing? Is there another high quality buffet in the hotel?

I'm on the west coast and I didn't need to be up in the middle of the night to book Makahiki. Although I really think it depends on the time you're traveling. If it's spring break/holidays/summer time, you MIGHT have to.

Thanks everyone! Other than this character dining, is there any other restaurent in the area worth to reserve up front, or is it fine to just decide each day on the spot? We need something that a 5yo would enjoy.

I'm on the west coast and I didn't need to be up in the middle of the night to book Makahiki. Although I really think it depends on the time you're traveling. If it's spring break/holidays/summer time, you MIGHT have to.
This last August we tried for multiple days and it was always booked as soon as the window opened. One time the site wasn’t working and so I called when I woke back up and they were all gone.

I was waking up to book while on another vacation and decided it wasn’t worth the stress and disruption to my sleep pattern.

This last August we tried for multiple days and it was always booked as soon as the window opened. One time the site wasn’t working and so I called when I woke back up and they were all gone.

I was waking up to book while on another vacation and decided it wasn’t worth the stress and disruption to my sleep pattern.
Yeah I would totally expect that for busier times. I went at the beg of December and I booked weekdays, so even a couple days after the window had opened, there were still some spots left.

Are they doing a buffet again? The info in the app says they’re still doing a 3-course selection. I don’t think they’re doing any buffets at Aulani right now, besides the luau.

For a buffet, the La Hiki restaurant next door at the Four Seasons is pretty good. They book up well ahead of time, as they only serve the buffet on Sunday mornings.I forgot to book it for our upcoming May trip and realized they booked the weekends we’ll be there. 🙁

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Other than this character dining, is there any other restaurent in the area worth to reserve up front, or is it fine to just decide each day on the spot? We need something that a 5yo would enjoy.
MonkeyPod for happy hour. Get the Mai Tai and the truffle fries.

Are they doing a buffet again? The info in the app says they’re still doing a 3-course selection. I don’t think they’re doing any buffets at Aulani right now, besides the luau.

For a buffet, the La Hiki restaurant next door at the Four Seasons is pretty good. They book up well ahead of time, as they only serve the buffet on Sunday mornings.I forgot to book it for our upcoming May trip and realized they booked the weekends we’ll be there. 🙁
No Makahiki is still 3-course breakfast. However, they upgraded the starters a bit! Instead of just a fruit plate, now each person will get one malasada and a yogurt parfait with mochi! Both were delicious and we were quite shocked they make really good malasadas! We were very satisfied and didn't even need to go to Leonards to get our fix! :thumbsup2

No Makahiki is still 3-course breakfast. However, they upgraded the starters a bit! Instead of just a fruit plate, now each person will get one malasada and a yogurt parfait with mochi! Both were delicious and we were quite shocked they make really good malasadas! We were very satisfied and didn't even need to go to Leonards to get our fix! :thumbsup2
This is probably an unpopular opinion but we thought the malasadas were better at Makahiki than Leonard’s (we did them both less than 48h apart). Unfortunately I was so full by the time the actual breakfast arrived I ended up taking as delicious French toast back to the room in a container.

We don’t care about the character greetings but considered paying to go back just for the food. 🤣 I wish there were other places to get the malasadas on site (Disney, if you’re listening, you could take us for $10 for a donut and coffee (x 2) each morning…and we already have the free refill mugs!).

This is probably an unpopular opinion but we thought the malasadas were better at Makahiki than Leonard’s (we did them both less than 48h apart). Unfortunately I was so full by the time the actual breakfast arrived I ended up taking as delicious French toast back to the room in a container.

We don’t care about the character greetings but considered paying to go back just for the food. 🤣 I wish there were other places to get the malasadas on site (Disney, if you’re listening, you could take us for $10 for a donut and coffee (x 2) each morning…and we already have the free refill mugs!).
They aren’t using Ama Ama for anything at that time of day… turn it into a malasada breakfast place!

They’re available at Olelo Room :) Disney emailed me Feb 23, 2024 to let me know:

Fun fact! The ʻŌlelo Room offers fresh malasadas—a Portuguese donut enjoyed in Hawaiʻi—for sale every morning on the Grab & Go Menu. They're only available from 7–11 a.m.and while supplies last, so make sure you stop by for this delicious breakfast treat.

They’re available at Olelo Room :) Disney emailed me Feb 23, 2024 to let me know:

Fun fact! The ʻŌlelo Room offers fresh malasadas—a Portuguese donut enjoyed in Hawaiʻi—for sale every morning on the Grab & Go Menu. They're only available from 7–11 a.m.and while supplies last, so make sure you stop by for this delicious breakfast treat.
So while I would prefer to eat them warm at Ama Ama straight out of the oven (fryer?), being able to get them to go and take them to the beach or my kitchen to reheat them is still pretty promising. There will be many happy family members if this is a real option when we arrive this winter.

If you want to do AmaAma, I would make a reservation. Their availability can vary, and it's good to get the time you want. Other than that, you don't really need reservations.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but we thought the malasadas were better at Makahiki than Leonard’s (we did them both less than 48h apart).
Waaaaaay better.

However, there was a Portuguese sausage thing wrapped in a bun at Leonard's that may have been the best thing I've ever eaten in my life, so IMO it's still worth the stop if you're in the neighborhood.

I’m trying to remember…. don’t they do the Mickey pictures in the Olelo Room?

I’m trying to remember…. don’t they do the Mickey pictures in the Olelo Room?
Facing the check-in desk, you go right to enter Makahiki and a "soft left" to go to the bar side of the Olelo Room, which is where I'm assuming the malasadas pickup would be. Mickey is a hard left to the outside part of the Olelo Room, where the live musicians would be at night time.

Facing the check-in desk, you go right to enter Makahiki and a "soft left" to go to the bar side of the Olelo Room, which is where I'm assuming the malasadas pickup would be. Mickey is a hard left to the outside part of the Olelo Room, where the live musicians would be at night time.
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter