Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

If you haven't yet done so, try to watch the Imagineering Story - I think it did a good job of showing another side of Eisner. While S/D has it's haters, and one can say it doesn't fit in to the Disney themes, I'd say that it is very unique and gives Disney some competition, but honestly for Disney the motto is "it's all about the money" and if the Cove brings in more guests and more licensing revenue it's a win.

Oh the Swolphin is my favorite Disney resort precisely because it doesn't fit the Disney themes--it feels like a real hotel, with real hotel restaurants and bars, that just happens to be in walking distance of Epcot. I was saying more that I think Disney the company thinks of the Eisner era as a dark time for the company. (Me personally I will never forgive Eisner for getting rid of Mr Toad, nothing will reverse my cancellation of him on that score.) (And I will watch the Imagineering Story eventually.)

Our first full day staying at Swan was amazing! The convenience of being able to walk to 2 parks is so great! We left the hotel at 8:55, got to the temp check line at Hollywood at 9:10, and were the 5th group on Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway! I can’t imagine having to rely on buses or skyliner again, it’s ridiculously convenient! (Then got boarding group 2 for RotR, yay!)

Spent a couple hours at the lap pool and drinks from Splash pool bar again, which was very mellow and empty despite it being the weekend.

When we got back from dinner around 10:15, we swung by Kimonos for a nightcap and karaoke - the restaurant was full, so they took my number to call when a table was available. Went up to the room - no line for elevator this time - later is definitely better. Got the call around 10:40 and were seated next to the sushi bar. Karaoke was happening with plexi shields around the mics and plastic coverings on the mics themselves. We wanted to sing but were told they were done for the night. We were not comfortable with how crowded the restaurant was - seemed like every table was full and close together, just like pre-Covid, and lots of people standing at the bar (didn’t think this was allowed? Maybe just in our state)...so we left. No line again for the elevator at 10:45.

Going to use the gym this morning, will report back how that goes with distancing etc. Lmk if anyone has any questions that I can help you with 😊

I haven't made reservations at Kimonos or Mulino because I was going to play it by ear about dinner or a nightcap at the hotel. Is this unwise? Will Swan be full enough for me to make ADR?

Our first full day staying at Swan was amazing! The convenience of being able to walk to 2 parks is so great! We left the hotel at 8:55, got to the temp check line at Hollywood at 9:10, and were the 5th group on Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway! I can’t imagine having to rely on buses or skyliner again, it’s ridiculously convenient! (Then got boarding group 2 for RotR, yay!)

Spent a couple hours at the lap pool and drinks from Splash pool bar again, which was very mellow and empty despite it being the weekend.

When we got back from dinner around 10:15, we swung by Kimonos for a nightcap and karaoke - the restaurant was full, so they took my number to call when a table was available. Went up to the room - no line for elevator this time - later is definitely better. Got the call around 10:40 and were seated next to the sushi bar. Karaoke was happening with plexi shields around the mics and plastic coverings on the mics themselves. We wanted to sing but were told they were done for the night. We were not comfortable with how crowded the restaurant was - seemed like every table was full and close together, just like pre-Covid, and lots of people standing at the bar (didn’t think this was allowed? Maybe just in our state)...so we left. No line again for the elevator at 10:45.

Going to use the gym this morning, will report back how that goes with distancing etc. Lmk if anyone has any questions that I can help you with 😊
Thanks for the great real time updates, armerida. Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Continue to enjoy!

@armerida thanks for the update, it's disappointing that Kimonos was so packed. I know they want the revenue, but risky situations like that helps nobody and only puts restaurants and bars of further shut downs.

I haven't made reservations at Kimonos or Mulino because I was going to play it by ear about dinner or a nightcap at the hotel. Is this unwise? Will Swan be full enough for me to make ADR?
There did seem to be a lot of people waiting for Il Mulino last night and there were 3 parties above us on the wait list for Kimonos. It was a weekend night tho, so I think you would be fine playing by ear on a less busy night.

My pleasure! I’ve been pestering people on this thread for weeks leading up to our trip! If you have any questions or want me to look into anything, please just let me know!
Thanks for all of the info! We are arriving at the Swan in October. What are your breakfast options on property or close by? Thanks again.

Very much depends on the day. On Saturday night of our stay Il Mulino was so full there were probably 30 people waiting for tables in the lobby. But on Sunday night we were able to walk up and get a table with a 15 minute wait. You’ll be able to do takeout though if you can’t get in for a seat.

Something to keep in mind, as far as upcoming dining at Swan/Dolphin...

With the Dolphin soon re-opening, the dining choices will greatly expand, over the current Swan, only, options. Hopefully, that will mean less overcrowding. As most scheduled conferences and conventions have been cancelled for this year, and Disney bookings are well below normal, restaurant demand should not be as great, in the upcoming months (unless, of course, Disney does not have all of its dining locations available).

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/dolphin-hotel/

Thanks for all of the info! We are arriving at the Swan in October. What are your breakfast options on property or close by? Thanks again.
Hiya! So for breakfast, there is Java coffee bar, Garden Grove sit-down, and Boardwalk Bakery 5 minute walk. We don’t typically eat breakfast but have been enjoying the Starbucks coffee pods in our room - picked up some half and half from Screen Door general store on the boardwalk, huge savings versus buying a $4 coffee every day. Dolphin is set to re-open September 1 which will give you more options as well.

Another great day, just back from dinner at Epcot. Loved leaving the park after closing and having it all to ourselves! No wait for elevator when we got back around 9:45.

Used the gym this morning; 2 other people when I arrived, left shortly and then I was alone for 30 minutes. Masks are required when moving around the room but not on machines. I wasn’t sure about masks using free weights/lifting so I just kept mine on till I was alone.

Lightning closed the pool for a while this afternoon so we went to Cabana bar and had drinks in one of the cabana/couch set-ups there, very nice! Once pools reopened, there was 1 other person there with us which was wild! So much distancing!

Hotel feels emptier today than yesterday for sure, really pleased with our choice to stay here. Tomorrow we’re meeting family at Animal Kingdom; will update with our bus experience, haven’t used them yet...

Oh the Swolphin is my favorite Disney resort precisely because it doesn't fit the Disney themes--it feels like a real hotel, with real hotel restaurants and bars, that just happens to be in walking distance of Epcot. I was saying more that I think Disney the company thinks of the Eisner era as a dark time for the company. (Me personally I will never forgive Eisner for getting rid of Mr Toad, nothing will reverse my cancellation of him on that score.) (And I will watch the Imagineering Story eventually.)
While I do agree with you that Disney seems to think the Eisner era was a dark time for the company, I think we all should remember that without the work that Michael Eisner (the vision and creative leader) and Frank Wells (the brains and money man) we would likely not have the WDW Resort we all have enjoyed for years and years. Swalphin is just one example of them thinking outside the box to try and get more folks on property to increase the overall bottom line without having to pay to build their own hotel. Disney also makes a cut of hotel bookings and sales from these properties. Park expansions at DHS as well as additional parks DLP are direct product of Eisner. Eisner also acquired ABC, ESPN, and the Muppet's just to name a few. The problem with Eisner was he just stayed a bit to long and, like anything, time catches up with executives.

Curious if anyone who has stayed recently can comment on how crowded the lobbies/hallways feel, and if there have been long elevator wait times? I’ve heard of this issue at other resorts. We had booked for Pop in September but I’ve seen Priceline express deals that have me tempted..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter