Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Is there a dedicated thread for the Cove on this forum? Just did a search and only saw Discovery Cove stuff...that picture of the construction site in this thread is my first time hearing about it and I'd love to know more. What's the branding going to be, for example. I get from Google it's going to be a business-centric hotel (which I thought the Swolphin already was, or at least they're convention hotels) but I don't know what that suggests for the Marriott branding (it's not going to be a giant Courtyard presumably.)

And my impression (wrong or right) has been that Disney considers the Swan and Dolphin to be an Eisner-era mistake, and they would never allow another company to operate a hotel on their property now. Like, how is Disney allowing the Cove to happen? Or is this on already existing Swan/Dolphin territory and they don't have a choice about it?
The Cove is technically part of the Swan (the full name is "The Cove at the Walt Disney World Swan"), and is being constructed on the spot where the Swan's tennis courts were. It's similar to how Gran Destino was just an addition to Coronado Springs. However, my understanding is that part of the original 99-year property lease agreement is that Tishman has to get approval from Disney to make any major changes to the Swalphin. Maybe that's since changed, but I know it was the original agreement.

Happy to report back that I was successful in making a room request via the “chat” option in the Bonvoy app! The person I chatted with told me Concierge isn’t checking email or the online requests, but they had me forward my request to info@swandolphin.com. A lovely room controller named Caitlin reached out to me via email and told me she had reserved a room that met all our specifications. We were upgraded from a standard queen, no view, to a deluxe king resort view! I asked for a quiet, top/high floor room with no connecting door, nice view, and preferably a corner. We got the 12th/top floor corner room with an awesome view of Hollywood studios! And were able to checkin at 9:45AM! Caitlin rocks!

So far lobby was not very busy, didn’t have to wait (had already done online checkin but there is currently no separate line for that). No waits at Java or for the elevators. Heading out to Epcot now for some Food and Wine and Mariachi Cobre!
Sounds like a great start!!! :cool1:

Tomorrow’s our arrival day! Just got prompted by the Bonvoy app to do online checkin; is there an advantage to using this versus in-person? Wondering if it increases the chance of our room being ready early (our flight lands at 9AM). But, also thinking in-person checkin could be more advantageous for a possible upgrade (celebrating our 15th anniversary)...I did fill out the concierge room request form in advance, but the website says that service is “temporarily unavailable”, so who knows if it was even received. Thanks for any input!
Hope you have a great stay! Our only request was early check-in but who knows if it was received as early check-in didn’t happen. We were in room 312, east wing. Loved our view! 518595

I'd love to know more. What's the branding going to be, for example. I get from Google it's going to be a business-centric hotel (which I thought the Swolphin already was, or at least they're convention hotels) but I don't know what that suggests for the Marriott branding (it's not going to be a giant Courtyard presumably.)
Well the Swan is branded as a Westin and the Dolphin is branded as a Sheraton. Nothing has been announced about the branding for the Cove.

The 14 story tower will have 349 guest rooms, including 151 suites that feature separate working and private spaces, built-in AV system, large conference tables, The rooftop will feature a landscaped 16,800-square-foot elevated deck with a fire pit and pool.
Like, how is Disney allowing the Cove to happen? Or is this on already existing Swan/Dolphin territory and they don't have a choice about it?
Since it is being built on the same property that Tishman Group leased from The Walt Disney Company for 99 years in the late 80's. Disney has input and approval but Tishman is driving the development of the new building and it will share amenities with the Swan & Dolphin.

The lastest date that I have seen shows a March 1, 2021 opening date for the Cove.

Dave

Well the Swan is branded as a Westin and the Dolphin is branded as a Sheraton. Nothing has been announced about the branding for the Cove.

The 14 story tower will have 349 guest rooms, including 151 suites that feature separate working and private spaces, built-in AV system, large conference tables, The rooftop will feature a landscaped 16,800-square-foot elevated deck with a fire pit and pool.

Since it is being built on the same property that Tishman Group leased from The Walt Disney Company for 99 years in the late 80's. Disney has input and approval but Tishman is driving the development of the new building and it will share amenities with the Swan & Dolphin.

The lastest date that I have seen shows a March 1, 2021 opening date for the Cove.

Dave
While The Cove is a separate tower with its own parking, it's considered to be part of the Swan, so my guess would be that as such it would likely be Westin branded.

Update from our first night; we returned from Epcot around 9:30 and there were (socially distanced) elevator lines backed up to the fountain for both elevators. A security guard spotted our anniversary buttons and told us to follow him and took us through a backstage area to the service elevator, which put us out directly across from our room! We will try to time it better next time and come back a little later to avoid the elevator waits. No other waits for elevators all day.

Other news - the pools were pretty empty yesterday, tons of spots to choose from. We ended up grabbing drinks at Splash bar and hanging out at the lap pool which was almost completely empty, very relaxing. Does anyone know about the cabana situation? I see that there are cabanas for rent at both pools, but then there are also cabanas by the Cabana pool bar - are those free to use as long as you’re ordering food/drink? If so, can you stay in them for a few hours and swim? Or are they only for while you’re actively eating?

Another thing - the Bonvoy app is great for getting in touch with housekeeping! I messaged them asking for extra hangers and coffee and came back from Epcot to find a huge bag filled with like 15 hangers and 10 bags of coffee and cups. Loving Swan so far, the convenience for walking to Epcot and boardwalk is amazing!

I didn't realize that the Cove is part of the Swan. I hope checkin will be at the Cove.
From what I've read, it will have it's own check-in desk.

It will be interesting to see how separate the operations will be. Will it be booked as a room category at the Swan, or will it be completely separate, and really just part of the Swan in name only?

I am planning on staying at the Dolphin 9/1-9/4...do we think it will open on time? Loving all the reports and info on this thread, including trip reports. Thanks all!!!

...I get from Google it's going to be a business-centric hotel...
...And my impression (wrong or right) has been that Disney considers the Swan and Dolphin to be an Eisner-era mistake, and they would never allow another company to operate a hotel on their property now...
The distance to the parks and its location I think will lend itself being great for conventions and business meetings. How they set up things like bus service will decide how good it is for those just taking a vacation, my gut is it's not going to be setup for children. Time will tell.
If you haven't yet done so, try to watch the Imagineering Story - I think it did a good job of showing another side of Eisner. While S/D has it's haters, and one can say it doesn't fit in to the Disney themes, I'd say that it is very unique and gives Disney some competition, but honestly for Disney the motto is "it's all about the money" and if the Cove brings in more guests and more licensing revenue it's a win.

...A security guard spotted our anniversary buttons and told us to follow him and took us through a backstage area to the service elevator...
And who says S/D doesn't have a bag of pixie dust, that was wonderful!

Awww man I just realized we might get some new restaurants with the Cove too! And the Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht area is already an embarrassment of riches...
I doubt there will be more than a single restaurant, a lounge, and a Grab & Go location like Java. I just hope we can get back to the time when all the different dining options reopen in the Crescent Lake area.

I am really looking forward to the roof top area since it will be the first hotel on property with a proper roof top experience for guests. Something that was left out at the GDT at CRS.

The Contemporary and California Grill have great views of the MK and Fireworks but maybe an infinity pool on the edge of the building offering great night time views. They have already listed a pool and fire pit area for the roof.

Dave

Update from our first night; we returned from Epcot around 9:30 and there were (socially distanced) elevator lines backed up to the fountain for both elevators. A security guard spotted our anniversary buttons and told us to follow him and took us through a backstage area to the service elevator, which put us out directly across from our room! We will try to time it better next time and come back a little later to avoid the elevator waits. No other waits for elevators all day.

Other news - the pools were pretty empty yesterday, tons of spots to choose from. We ended up grabbing drinks at Splash bar and hanging out at the lap pool which was almost completely empty, very relaxing. Does anyone know about the cabana situation? I see that there are cabanas for rent at both pools, but then there are also cabanas by the Cabana pool bar - are those free to use as long as you’re ordering food/drink? If so, can you stay in them for a few hours and swim? Or are they only for while you’re actively eating?

Another thing - the Bonvoy app is great for getting in touch with housekeeping! I messaged them asking for extra hangers and coffee and came back from Epcot to find a huge bag filled with like 15 hangers and 10 bags of coffee and cups. Loving Swan so far, the convenience for walking to Epcot and boardwalk is amazing!

thank you for taking the time to update us. We are heading down and staying at the swan the end of September.

I booked my reservation for Swan on marriott.com....I try to link the confirmation number in My Disney Experience app..doesnt take it. Is this because I booked directly with Marriott?
thx

I booked my reservation for Swan on marriott.com....I try to link the confirmation number in My Disney Experience app..doesnt take it. Is this because I booked directly with Marriott?
thx
It takes one or two days for Disney to receive the info. If not working by late Monday, call Swan in-house reservations and they will resend to Disney.

thx
There’s usually messaging on MDE that says it can take up to 72 hours for Swan and Dolphin reservations for be linked if it doesn’t link, is that no loner the case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter