Warning- daily safety and security room check

Why would you be okay with other people being targeted based on what they look like just so that you aren't personally inconvenienced.

I can't even.
Random actors tend to be white males who are loners. They also tend to behave in a certain way that isn't really alarming to most people, but when one looks more closely, it's scary. Criminal profilers know this well.

The loud family with small children or the couple in their late 50s or 60s likely aren't on profilers' radar, but these groups may get a safety check so that single men do not start shouting that they are being targeted.

My suggestion is NEVER let them enter the room with you inside if there isn't a group of you. Tell them to wait a minute while you all prepare to walk outside the room. Then shut the door. Make them open the door with their pass key to prove who they are. Once they do, hold that door open and watch what they do to insure your things are not touched - since you were in the room you likely had valuable things out and showing.

If you are comfortable with them coming in the room with you, I would still tell them you are going to shut the door and then they can let themselves in with the pass key. Again, this is to prove (hopefully) they are an actual CM.

Excellent thoughts, and my thoughts exactly. They may 'need' to do these ridiculous checks, but it will never come at the expense of my personal or my family's safety.

Because they do that, I leave my sheets like this when I leave the room...

Excuse me while I clean up the soda I just snorted out of my nose. :)

Op here. For what it is worth about throwing up flags- it is just my DD (15) and I. We have been staying on site for 13 years, 1-3 times a year. We have had annual passes four different years. Attended many Halloween and Christmas Parties. On about 6 of my trips, my sister would come (who also visits yearly with extensive MDE file). Sometimes we link readies with my friend and her two children. Can’t imagine what flags we may have thrown. Ps- I am a woman. Regarding t being enough to stay off-site. For me- it just may be. I booked two bounce backs for next year but may cancel as the trips approach depending on future reports which I will be be following. I like my privacy. I don’t want to worry about accidentally leaving valuables like money, camera or jewelry (no! I am not saying all Disney security or housekeeping are thieves but I also don’t believe in pressing temptation). I don’t want to have to worry about having my daughter forget OT latch the dang door while I go get hot chocolate or teas, and having someone come in while she is in be shower or asleep. If they return to DND signs and tell me they will come in twice randomly a week- I may be able to live with that. Daily- not acceptable. My money is good other places. I really don’t like the thought of staying offsite- but it is what it is, and everyone needs to determine what they are and are not willing to live with on vacation.

Big bad PR will likely be only thing ......... or that first lawsuit when a male employee walks in on a naked woman .. and the police are called.

Serious question: if that scenario were to happen, would the naked woman have an actual complaint, since room checks are within the rights of the resort? I've thought about this since the issue came up. I'm wondering if the person who was walked in on and embarrassed or felt victimized would be able to pursue any type of action? Or would the only repercussions be in the form of bad PR?

And honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been reports of this exact thing happening.

Do you think if I put a note on the door saying we are sleeping and ask them not to knock that it might work? I would be so incredibly upset being woken up early after carefully planning rest days after also carefully planning which days to stay out late. Also we will return for naps with littles.

Won't help. They will come in/knock anyway.

Op here. For what it is worth about throwing up flags- it is just my DD (15) and I. We have been staying on site for 13 years, 1-3 times a year. We have had annual passes four different years. Attended many Halloween and Christmas Parties. On about 6 of my trips, my sister would come (who also visits yearly with extensive MDE file). Sometimes we link readies with my friend and her two children. Can’t imagine what flags we may have thrown. Ps- I am a woman. Regarding t being enough to stay off-site. For me- it just may be. I booked two bounce backs for next year but may cancel as the trips approach depending on future reports which I will be be following. I like my privacy. I don’t want to worry about accidentally leaving valuables like money, camera or jewelry (no! I am not saying all Disney security or housekeeping are thieves but I also don’t believe in pressing temptation). I don’t want to have to worry about having my daughter forget OT latch the dang door while I go get hot chocolate or teas, and having someone come in while she is in be shower or asleep. If they return to DND signs and tell me they will come in twice randomly a week- I may be able to live with that. Daily- not acceptable. My money is good other places. I really don’t like the thought of staying offsite- but it is what it is, and everyone needs to determine what they are and are not willing to live with on vacation.

There is a long list of things for them to look for, and some of those might be surprising. Like a room only reservation that someone pays for with cash or gift cards. All the conversations we have on here about using gift cards ... you never know what might trigger.

We have 135+ stays logged in, three of us have APs. I've been going since 1970, but as a family we have been going since 1992. We go 5-6 times a year. We are in their system so many ways. We even got chocolates delivered the first day with a letter thanking us for being a regular guest. BUT .... we clearly threw up flags after that, got daily visits and am sure followed. SO .... their extensive knowledge of us didn't matter. I guess I'm feeling our commit to them all these years has meant nothing.

Serious question: if that scenario were to happen, would the naked woman have an actual complaint, since room checks are within the rights of the resort? I've thought about this since the issue came up. I'm wondering if the person who was walked in on and embarrassed or felt victimized would be able to pursue any type of action? Or would the only repercussions be in the form of bad PR?

I think so, but I think all circumstances would be key. Did person knock first, wait a couple minutes and then enter the room OR did they come in unannounced? Did guest hear the knock and yell out or ask them to wait or come back later, then they continued to enter? Did guest say come to door and say they were not dressed, or children were in bed yet employee forced themselves in the room? We've read all these things ... at some point there is a line between what is considered Disney's right and what is maybe unlawful. I don't know what that line is and it might not be something commonly challenged.

We are also talking about Disney purses vs an average guest ... I think a guest would have to call the police to the room and file a report first. Then what happens? Guest contacts the news and a lawyer or perhaps Disney offers a nice bounceback vacation? I don't know what would happen next. I'm a Disney stockholder, I don't want bad PR nor do I want big payouts to guests either. I'd rather they spend money on attractions. At this point all I can do what is important for me and my safety.

Do you think if I put a note on the door saying we are sleeping and ask them not to knock that it might work? I would be so incredibly upset being woken up early after carefully planning rest days after also carefully planning which days to stay out late. Also we will return for naps with littles.

Nope. They will likely tell you they have to see the room and will only be a minute, then proceed to walk through your room and into the bathroom.

Last edited:
Hopperfan- that is ridiculous. If I thought I was being followed, I would have lost my mind, told them to stick their pass where the sun doesn’t shine and promptly moved to Universal. Yeah, I know it isn’t Disney, but I don’t want to feel like I am being watched, or followed in any sort of conspicuous way. I’m not hiding anything, but everyday check-ups is an invasion of privacy in my opinion.

Hopperfan- that is ridiculous. If I thought I was being followed, I would have lost my mind, told them to stick their pass where the sun doesn’t shine and promptly moved to Universal. Yeah, I know it isn’t Disney, but I don’t want to feel like I am being watched, or followed in any sort of conspicuous way. I’m not hiding anything, but everyday check-ups is an invasion of privacy in my opinion.

After it happened, I moved our week in April offsite, our 4 days in July offsite, our week in September is offsite and now shopping for a week in January offsite.

Omg- my daughter just had a genius idea!! I’ll be bringing my own wireless camera for my room on my next visit! Genius!

Do it! I would bring one like my DD's uses for her dog. Better yet, she can talk through hers so we could even say HI to them when they come in! BOO TO YOU!

Last edited:
I will start by saying I’m not promoting/advocating or detracting the idea of security checks. I am not discounting people’s negative experiences with the policy.

If what you are saying here is opinion then that’s fine but it is most certainly not factual.
One of the first principles of social control is making rules. If it’s a rule many people will follow it because it’s a rule. If you want more people to follow it you need enforcement/checks. Not everyone will follow it but most will.

Think of driving and red lights. The majority of the population stops for red lights. Why? First and foremost is likely because it’s dangerous. Secondly no one wants a ticket. But what about at 2am on a non busy road. The chance of getting in a crash or a ticket is so unlikely but people still wait for the light to go green. Because it’s a law and people follow rules/laws.

Most people that go to WDW are good, honest, hardworking people. Some are not. The simple act of knowing you will be checked on will eliminate some issues within the hotel. Some people looking to do nefarious things will have To plan better or find another place to do it. If they plan better the hope is that the next level of security will catch it.

That’s what front line security is. So while it may appear as a joke to you that is fine. But in reality it has a place and likely doing what they intended. Short of putting every single person in an isolated cage there is nothing that can be done to produce absolute safety and security. However, having a complete non existent program is negligence on their part.

Again, I’m not promoting, justifying, or agreeing with its existence.
I agree with all of this but still say it's a joke because I'm looking at it from a trained security personal position and this entire security check came from Vegas.
Like I stated before, "it's for show" because if some one wants to do a Vegas type of attack, checking in a room but not checking in drawers, under mattresses, car trunks and such isn't going to come close to stopping the person who wants to carry out that type of attack but it will give the good people a warm fuzzy feeling that everything is being checked and safe.

I called Signature Services last week to tweak some things for our upcoming stay this week. I asked her about the security checks and then we both laughed when I said by asking was she going to flag my account? Anyway, my concern was me heading to the lounge to grab some breakfast while my wife and girls got ready. They cannot flip the latch if I need to get back in. She told me if we are ever in our room and don't want to be disturbed to just ask for them to go ahead and look around before we shower or rest. This plan seems ideal to me. Arrive back at the resort, stop by the desk and tell them "Please come up and do your security check so we can rest, shower, whatever" on CL it may be easier since they have their own staff on floor. I guess we will see soon!

This thread was the final impetus for me to cancel our Pop res for January.

I'd think for people who are in the parks open to close, the security checks wouldn't be a big deal. For us, they are.

I'm looking at a night or two at the Royal Pacific and then something like the Embassy Suites.

Last edited:
People, I believe from reading other threads, have tried this. It's hit or miss as to whether it works. You can always request, but remember, it's a request.

I have to disclose that I get daily housekeeping, and so peopple in and out of my room are not a bother for me. With that said, my family has traveled with younger ones on occasion, and we have left them locked in the room while we ran for coffee. I would not do this now because even though they are at an age that they could unlatch the bar for us, I cannot take that chance that they might become confused if anyone identified themselves as a DIsney employee needed to gain entry. We have taught them that if they ever got separated from us they need to go to a DIsney CM.

I also would have a Come to Jesus conversation if anyone entered without my permission while I was in the room. Or if I asked them to come back later. WE are out enough to give plenty of opportunity for room checks.

What do you think they're looking for? They're looking for an arsenal.
They're looking for an arsenal left laying out in plain sight.

I called Signature Services last week to tweak some things for our upcoming stay this week. I asked her about the security checks and then we both laughed when I said by asking was she going to flag my account? Anyway, my concern was me heading to the lounge to grab some breakfast while my wife and girls got ready. They cannot flip the latch if I need to get back in. She told me if we are ever in our room and don't want to be disturbed to just ask for them to go ahead and look around before we shower or rest. This plan seems ideal to me. Arrive back at the resort, stop by the desk and tell them "Please come up and do your security check so we can rest, shower, whatever" on CL it may be easier since they have their own staff on floor. I guess we will see soon!
Which is great and all...... but completely negates the purpose of having a security check. I mean, wouldn't someone close their arsenal up in the suitcase before asking for their room check?

People, I believe from reading other threads, have tried this. It's hit or miss as to whether it works. You can always request, but remember, it's a request.
i read those other threads as general, stay-long requests. If that quoted poster is going to stop at the front desk every day anyway, why not on the way out of the resort? That gives WDW (usually) several hours' when they can check the room without disturbing the customer. Stopping on the way back blocks out several hours when they can't, i.e. where entering or attempting to enter would disturb them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter