Warning- daily safety and security room check

I have read through this entire thread and while I have no experience with security checks yet we will be staying at Pop Oct.2019 we will have 4 rooms because it is a family vacation with our children and grandchildren. My youngest grandson has autism he is non verbal for the most part and has been to Disney twice already so we know that he will get over stimulated and need to go back to the resort to a more calm/peaceful environment so he can nap or just have peace and quiet for awhile. He is the type that if he doesn't wake up on his own and is awoken he is immediately in full meltdown mode that lasts for a minimum of 1 hour up to 3 hours. It happens every time no exceptions, he is 5 yrs old. these are full blown meltdowns he cries ,screams, punches himself in the face and legs, beats his head off furniture or anything else around including people. It is heartbreaking to see him go through this and yes quite emotional on all those around. We all take extreme measurements (including all the other grandchildren) to make sure when he is sleeping not to do anything that would disturb him so he can wake up on his own so he won't have to endure that torment for an extended period of time.
I am really concerned about him napping and have security knocking on the door and waking him up, not only for his sake ( which is my main concern) but also for his parents sake of having to deal with the aftermath that is inevitable unfortunately.
I would not ask/or expect any special treatment on this matter but I have to say it would definitely have an impact on our vacation.
I am just surprised after reading through this entire thread that there hasn't been anyone posting how the security checks have effected children who have special needs.

I am sure if this happens my DDIL will not be happy and may even have her own meltdown, understandably.

I do not have an issue with security checks but I just wish there was a way to prevent them from occurring when ANYONE may be napping/sleeping.

I have read through this entire thread and while I have no experience with security checks yet we will be staying at Pop Oct.2019 we will have 4 rooms because it is a family vacation with our children and grandchildren. My youngest grandson has autism he is non verbal for the most part and has been to Disney twice already so we know that he will get over stimulated and need to go back to the resort to a more calm/peaceful environment so he can nap or just have peace and quiet for awhile. He is the type that if he doesn't wake up on his own and is awoken he is immediately in full meltdown mode that lasts for a minimum of 1 hour up to 3 hours. It happens every time no exceptions, he is 5 yrs old. these are full blown meltdowns he cries ,screams, punches himself in the face and legs, beats his head off furniture or anything else around including people. It is heartbreaking to see him go through this and yes quite emotional on all those around. We all take extreme measurements (including all the other grandchildren) to make sure when he is sleeping not to do anything that would disturb him so he can wake up on his own so he won't have to endure that torment for an extended period of time.
I am really concerned about him napping and have security knocking on the door and waking him up, not only for his sake ( which is my main concern) but also for his parents sake of having to deal with the aftermath that is inevitable unfortunately.
I would not ask/or expect any special treatment on this matter but I have to say it would definitely have an impact on our vacation.
I am just surprised after reading through this entire thread that there hasn't been anyone posting how the security checks have effected children who have special needs.

I am sure if this happens my DDIL will not be happy and may even have her own meltdown, understandably.

I do not have an issue with security checks but I just wish there was a way to prevent them from occurring when ANYONE may be napping/sleeping.
Would your family be opposed to staying offsite to prevent that happening? It sounds like there are a lot of nice roomy condos/homes that could accommodate a large family & save you a LOT of money too....

I think it’s very wise to be asking these questions. I also would hope that resort management would accommodate you. Not sure you can rely at this time anyway that whatever management agrees to filters down to front line staff, both HK and security. Sending before trip emails with requests or talking to the front desk daily when you leave might make a difference. Heck, it shouldn't but even asking for an accommodation might raise a red flag. No one really knows. I hope that things improve dramatically by October 2019, but there are no guarantees. You may be accommodated most days, but in your situation even 1 incident would be problematic. Agree with prior poster that an offsite location might be preferable. I would suggest a Marriott timeshare or Wyndham Bonnet creek. For onsite, swan and dolphin do not currently have daily knocks, calls and room checks. Sadly, this policy is in effect even at Disney time share units so that isn’t a better option than a Disney resort. Hope you have a wonderful trip whatever you decide.

What do you think they're looking for? They're looking for an arsenal.

That was my point. Should have phrased it better. “What do they think they are going to find laying out in the open?” Hence my question of are they allowed to go through suitcases, drawers, etc. cause that’s the only way to find something, but so far no reports of personal item searches so I don’t get it.

That was my point. Should have phrased it better. “What do they think they are going to find laying out in the open?” Hence my question of are they allowed to go through suitcases, drawers, etc. cause that’s the only way to find something, but so far no reports of personal item searches so I don’t get it.

You are right, unlike at park entrance, they are doing at best a cursory review with resort room checks. Sometimes they miss you completely, sometimes you get more than 1 visit in a day, one report was at a DVC unit you could just hand them your trash can at the door, and they peer in from there. Or they come back later if you tell them to, so if a perpetrator had an “arsenal”, he could then remove it, or hypothetically hide under the covers etc.

Far less than an “arsenal” could be very lethal, I would think could easily be hid in a suitcase.

Op here. I believe (no proof) that they would be doing more than a visual as he put on nitrile gloves. No- he wasn’t here to take out trash- he had no bins/Bags or cart, and not one in my 10 day stay was our trash removed. Of the ten days- we only had the two knocks at the door- one after 9am and one after 8 am (after asking them not to come back before 12 on any day). We were at parks from open to close(ish) most days so I don’t know if we just missed the checks the other day or if they just had awful timing and only “checked” two days. I’m contacting management tomorrow.

i read those other threads as general, stay-long requests. If that quoted poster is going to stop at the front desk every day anyway, why not on the way out of the resort? That gives WDW (usually) several hours' when they can check the room without disturbing the customer. Stopping on the way back blocks out several hours when they can't, i.e. where entering or attempting to enter would disturb them.

They can try...it may work...it may not. Besides other posters saying it's been hit or miss, we've had the same experience when requesting housekeeping on our way out. Sometimes it works wonderfully and sometimes it doesn't.

I have only been in the room once, not long after they started the room searches. We were still getting ready to leave. My cousin was getting ready in the bathroom and I let the CM know as soon as he arrived. He asked that I let her know so she did not come out unexpectedly. I just yelled they were doing room checks to wait to come out if she was not dressed. He looked at the fire alarms and the plugs before leaving. He was in and out in a matter of 2-3 minutes. That was January or February this year. The rest of the week, we did not see anyone. Since we opted out of housekeeping at POP, they must have came when we were out. Since we were in and out at all times, it is surprising we did not see them again.

In March, I was at POFQ for a few nights and did have housekeeping. When housekeeping knocked on the door one day, I let her know I was leaving in about 20 minutes so she waited. As soon as my sister and I left, she started cleaning our room and had not called for a security check. I think she had seen me taking my sister in the room with her wheelchair the day before so knew we might have needed a bit longer. I understood her wanting to start with our room as it was the corner so she could just keep moving.

When you arrive at the hotel, I would ask to speak with the hotel manager, and possibly the housekeeping manger if you are not opting out. Then explain the issues your grandchild has and see what can be done to make it easier on all involved. I would hope they would work with you to figure out something that might work.

I stayed at Pop twice over the summer, declined room service both times, and never saw anyone come in our room or have anyone knock. Only once did I even know anyone came in when instead of hanging our flight information and ME letter on the door they put it on the bed. We came back daily to relax while it rained, and never once were bothered. I think some people just have bad luck honestly, and after events that have happened in the last couple of years I don't mind being inconvenienced. If I'm trying to sleep I'll just get up, tell them as such, and go back to bed.

Serious question: if that scenario were to happen, would the naked woman have an actual complaint, since room checks are within the rights of the resort? I've thought about this since the issue came up. I'm wondering if the person who was walked in on and embarrassed or felt victimized would be able to pursue any type of action? Or would the only repercussions be in the form of bad PR?

And honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been reports of this exact thing happening.

I expect is has happened, but the lawyers have swooped in (even faster than "security") with compensation and non-disclosure agreements, so we haven't heard about it happening.

That said, I'm not too worried about my upcoming trip. We never decline housekeeping, and aren't nappers, so our room will most likely be done when we aren't there.

But the whole thing does rub me the wrong way, and is one more reason I'm considering other options for the future.

Pretty much every time they knocked, one of us was in the shower, or getting dressed. Sometimes both of us. Once we were on the way out and my scooter was blocking the door.

It was quite the pain.
My momma taught me it wasn’t nice to knock on the neighbor kid’s door before 10am. Someone didn’t teach disney management their manners.

My momma taught me it wasn’t nice to knock on the neighbor kid’s door before 10am. Someone didn’t teach disney management their manners.
9am during the week, 10am on the weekends for us.

We were pretty surprised the first time it happened. By the time we got to the right person to request a later time, it happened a few more times.

IF you try to convince them to come later, make sure you dial housekeeping on your room phone. Don't go to the front desk. At least not at Saratoga. They actually told me to go back to my room and call housekeeping. :confused3

9am during the week, 10am on the weekends for us.

We were pretty surprised the first time it happened. By the time we got to the right person to request a later time, it happened a few more times.

IF you try to convince them to come later, make sure you dial housekeeping on your room phone. Don't go to the front desk. At least not at Saratoga. They actually told me to go back to my room and call housekeeping. :confused3

What great, helpful customer service, right???

There has been no reports of ANY hotel, of ANY other brand doing this except for the Disney hotels. It is Disney's problem.

This is not at all true. Caesars (all of their hotels worldwide), Hilton, Marriott, MGM Resorts ALL have a similar policy. Everyone is trying to make Disney the bad guy in this. Many are doing it, and it's for guest safety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter