WDW food traditions - what are your "must-haves"?

TavieP

DIS Veteran
My family likes to eat (thin and fat, short and tall - we all love to eat equally :) - and some of our favorite Disney traditions involve the special dishes, snacks and treats that you get at WDW. It's part of the fun for us.

I'd love to know what items others HAVE to have when they visit WDW.

For example, one thing my family always does is on an Epcot night, we stop at the Kringla Og Bakery in Norway, order a few kringle (and paper bags!) and take them back to the room with us to have for breakfast with our coffee. (It's very tempting but a BIG no-no to snitch before breakfastime!)

I also can't imagine my sister visiting the parks without, at some point, getting a turkey leg, which the two of us will happily tear apart with greasy fingers as we contemplate our next ride.

We always do California Grill, and although I'm an adventurous eater and love to try new things, I find that I am unable to order anything but the pork tenderloin with goat cheese polenta. Just thinking about the goat cheese polenta is making my mouth water.

What treats do you guys consider part of your WDW tradition?

I know a lot of people hate on Chef Mickey's but it is one of my favorites. We didn't go there when were at WDW in 2011 but I am definately going for breakfast on Monday after the marathon. I'll be in a mood to sing the "Celebrate" song and twirl my napkin. :goodvibes

Crystal Palace and Rainforest Cafe breakfasts.

Restaurant Marrakesh dinners.

PB&J shake from 50's Prime Time.

Boma for breakfast
The Original at EoS
Cheese soup/pretzel bread/choc raspberry shake at LeCellier:cloud9:

TURKEY LEG!!!
have to do Hoop De Doo...(Hi can I get a second bucket of chicken please? All thighs if you can. thanks)

DOLE WHIP!

popcorn and coke from the stand across from Taluca Turkey Leg Co

Chocolate covered marshmallow coated with MnM's on a stick from the confectionery on Main Street.See signature picture)

I've never liked turkey legs...too salty. More like ham.

BUT...a few of our family favorites:

Kaki Gori flavored ice by Japan in Epcot

Hot Dogs at Casey's Corner in MK

Everything (including Beverly!) at Club Cool in Epcot (and it's free!)

Tuna Sandwich at Columbia Harbor House in MK

A burger with all those good toppings at Pecos Bill's in MK

Pretty much anything from Flame Tree BBQ in AK

And a churro and/or Mickey Ice Cream Bar from anywhere!

Test Track cookies! The very first time my DDs and I tried TT my DS was too little to go on it so he waited outside with DH. When the girls and I came out DS was so happy eating this big chocolate chip cookie at about 9:15am! I guess my DH had decided to grab a coffee from a cart right outside TT while he waited for us and DS begged for a cookie. DH felt bad that he couldn't go on so let him have it even though it was breakfast time. Well, then the girls wanted a cookie too and DH (also known as the dad who rarely says no!) said OK. For some reason they were the best cookies ever and now it is a tradition, no matter what time it is, to get what we like to call Test Track cookies every time we go to Epcot. (last time they didn't taste as good - I think they might have changed them but didn't want to tell the kids!)

We also like to get churros in Mexico. I know you can get them other places (even at home at Costco!) but I always think they taste better in Mexico since that was the first place I ever tried them as a kid.

We always eat at Columbia Harbor House. The food is good and my wife loves the vegetarian chili. We love sitting upstairs because its so quiet and we can people watch out the window.

Also, I eat my weight in Mickey Bars.

Definitely DOLE WHIP. It is the greatest tasting thing ever and because you can't get it anywhere else except Hawaii it makes it that much better! Also breakfast at 1900 Park Fare in GF. Best breakfast buffet ever IMO.

Breakfast at the Golden Corral... ;)

But we do love the character breakie at CP in MK. Just gotten way too expensive and difficult to get in. But it's still pretty awesome.

We ALWAYS get ice cream on Main St. We call it the Ice Cream Ride and our boys love it.

Other than that, the food has gone so far downhill (and expensive) on the property, there just isn't much we have to get any longer. :(

OH I have FOUND my people!! We enjoy our food, really... we really enjoy our food & since part of how we save for super fun vacations is by not eating out much during the year, a big part of the fun of our vacations (especially WDW) is trying new foods.
#1 - Dole Whip - OMG one of the best creations ever!
#2 - chocolate Mickey Ear Ice Cream pop - how can you visit WDW & not have one??
#3 - Coconut Chicken at Kona -- I tried desperately to recreate this at home after our last trip. I'm sorry to report it wasn't even close to as good as the original.
So let's talk turkey- every year I say I'm getting one & every year I see just how BIG they are, have a look at couples & children doubling down on one & decide to pass. Not this year- I'm getting one! & I don't care how embarrassed my children get!

I know a lot of people hate on Chef Mickey's but it is one of my favorites. We didn't go there when were at WDW in 2011 but I am definately going for breakfast on Monday after the marathon. I'll be in a mood to sing the "Celebrate" song and twirl my napkin. :goodvibes

This is my favorite when I take grandkids. I also like the usual favorites: dole whip, mickey ice cream, and I also like Beaches and Cream ice cream sodas.

My go to restaurants are Kona (on the first day) and Grand Floridian (on the last day). I like Chefs de France in EPCOT, LTT in MK, and Brown Derby in DHS.

Souvineer popcorn, like the PP with the Kringel, we always get giant cinnamon rolls from the MK bakery for the next breakfast.
Spaghetti and meatballs at Tony's

I only had them on my last trip, but I think the Mickey shaped pretzel will become a tradition ;)

Oh god YES. Dole Whip Forever! They should make tee shirts...

They do...

srr39674large1.jpeg

Here are my "must haves"

Breakfast @ O'Hana
Hot Dog from Casey's
Dole Whip
Funnel Cake
Mickey Ice Cream Bar
Chicken and Ribs @ Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
Surf and Turf Burger @ ABC Commosary
Salmon @ 1900 Park Fair

Fresh made mouse ears rice Krispy treats at Main Street Bakery. They are best fresh and not in the gift shops. I do admit I buying a couple from the gift shops for the trip home. It's a sad day when I run out of the four I buy there. The ultimate Disney treat and even better than Mouse Ears Ice cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter