WDW for Couples - Post your questions and suggestions here!!!

Awesome is the word for how great Disney vacations are for childfree couples. Yet, there's a lot of advice that would be unique for this demographic. I agree that a special thread would be great!

My husband and I are going back to DCL in May, going back to WDW (and Universal Studios) in September and go to Disneyland on a regular basis. We are experienced world travelers and been around a lot and don't usually go where kids frequent. Yet, we still appreciate the unique experience (and fun!) of Disney.

One example of a specific suggestions for childfree couples at WDW is about the timing of your visits to the parks and restaurants.

You almost always hear a suggestion about going early to the parks. We found that a childfree couple, we actually love doing the reverse. We eat late meals and stay very late into the evenings at the parks. Coming from the West coast, it's especially easy to do. We just pretty much stay on west coast time. The benefits are many. It's easier to make any ADR. Also, the restaurants are especially wonderful a little later after the small kids are down for the night. The parks are also extra magical in the evening as well since many of the families with the littlest kids quit early (late afternoon/early evening) because they start their days early - so the parks are especially romantic and fun into the late evenings.

Any way, there are many more (specific) ideas for childfree couples - let's start that thread!

I would love it too. Dh and I have gone a couple of times without our sons now that they are out of the house. We love it. We are planning our next trip for Oct 2015. Dh and I are both turning 60 that year and if all goes as planned I will be retiring that year so it will be our first Oct trip ever.

I agree with JCFan:

We usually book our dinner after 7:00 PM ... It's a bit more quiet and night at the park are the best!!

Our type of restaurant is a bit less children-friendly to begin with (Via Napoli/Raglan Road/Liberty Tree Tavern/Hollywood Brown Derby or Be our Guest and O'hana later at night) or tend to entertain them so much we don't hear them (Sci-Fi Dine-In)... we would love to try signatures like Jiko and Le Cellier (tried the Filet Mignon at F&W Fest... Wow!!) at some point.

Add me to the list too! Every once in a while I wander over to this part of the boards looking for ideas for couples at WDW.

DH and I waited for our twin boys to be in college (they are 20) so we could go by ourselves for our first trip to WDW. This June we are celebrating our 25th anniversary in WDW. We are in mid- to late 40's. We've also gone by ourselves to DLR the past several years because we figure, it's our turn to just take off and go!

We aren't eating anywhere super special like V&A. We didn't feel like packing dress up clothes! :rotfl:

How about a few questions. How many times have you been to Disney World? Disney Cruise? Disneyland? Disney Paris? Hong Kong Disney? Adventures by Disney? Aulani? Favorites? Booked? In the planning stages?

Great idea!

For us, it is our very first ever trip to any Disney resort anywhere. :thumbsup2

We booked last September, for travel in August this year, and are enjoying planning like crazy. Our ADRs are done now (and we got everywhere we wanted! :D ) and so it's starting to get to fine detail planning now!

We've been to DW more than 11 times. lol I've never counted but started an album of hotel card keys and until I find more around the house I'll have to settle for that many times

We did a 4 day Disney Wonder cruise to the Bahamas in 2002 and loved it. The highlight was Castaway Cay. The beach was great & we chatted with few cast members on vacation that we met at the beach. The dining at Palo on the Wonder was great!

We went to DL in 1997 on our one & only trip to the West coast. That was the first time we rode Soarin & the Indiana Jones ride. Wish it was at DW my DH loved that ride.

We've dined at most of the Epcot WS TS except for China. The funny thing is we don't avoid Epcot & MK evening EMH. We're usually one of the last to walk out. There's something special about walking through the park listening to the music, looking at the stars. One thing we can always spot our rental in the parking lot. Lol

How about a few questions. How many times have you been to Disney World? Disney Cruise? Disneyland? Disney Paris? Hong Kong Disney? Adventures by Disney? Aulani? Favorites? Booked? In the planning stages?

DLR- a zillion times.
WDW- never- this will be our first time!
DCL-never but would love to- especially a podcast cruise!
HKD- probably never happen.
Tokyo DL- I had wanted to but now that I have a new fish allergy I'm thinking Japan really isn't a place I should visit. :scratchin
DLP- Hopefully one day!
Aulani- Again, I hope!
ABD- I'd love to do one of the Podcast trips!

Any idea where/to whom I could suggest it? :confused3

My DH and I went to Disney 4 times within the last two years (the first time was our honeymoon) ... We experienced a bunch of restaurants and activities... I feel like I could contribute a lot and That I have so much more to learn about WDW...

I'd love this too. I was looking for it and disappointed that I didn't see it. My DH and I can't have kids, so it's always just the two of us.

We're in the same boat.. We aren't childless by choice. We love Disney and sometimes are questioned as to why we feel like we can/should participate in some Disney activities.

Yes, we're two grown adults standing in line to get an autograph and take a picture with our favorite characters.

Yes, we want to participate in the FE exchange on the cruise.

Yes, I require a balloon or Mickey Bar on every trip.

Glad to know we aren't the only two childless people enjoying all the magic Disney can offer.

Why wouldn't/couldn't all these things be posted in this forum? It is for adults (couples or solos) travelling without children. My wife and I don't have kids, and have never felt the need for a "couples only" category on the DIS boards.

Why the need for a "couples" forum? What am I missing?

Instead of trying to cover every topic in this thread, why not start separate threads and utilize this "adult" group?

:thumbsup2

I think if they want this to be the place to come for couples, they need to drop the word "mature" from the description when accessing from the main board.

When I first joined the DIS, it took ages before I realised this area was meant to cover people like me and my DH, because this is how they describe the board:
Touring Disney alone? Or as a mature couple? Join us in discussions on things of interest to adults or solo travelers

We're not a "mature" couple. We're a young couple. To be honest, I thought the board was for retired couples and people travelling alone.

When I came into the board for the first time, the impression I got was it was mainly for solo travellers. Personally, I think these are two distinct categories of visitors, and would each warrant their own sub forum, within a general adults board.

We went to DL on our honeymoon 35 years ago. We have been to DW at least 15 times. We have been as a couple 2 times in the last 5 years.

I have been to WDW over 50 times, Disneyland once, and one Disney cruise so far. We have a April 2015 cruise booked on the Wonder. Our 2016 plan is for Disneyland and Aulani. I inherited my love of Disney from my dad. We went once a year when i was a kid. DH and I own DVC at BLT at SSR. We try to go 3 times a year. I had tickets for Disney Paris when I lived in Germany right before we were due to transfer back to the states but due to a death in the family we never made it. Someday I will make it back!
Hoping to go to Africa on an ABD for my 50 birthday but that is a few years down the road.

I have been more times that I can count to WDW.
Started in '71 with MK.
When EPCOT opened I got a year pass and went 13 times within the first year.
DVC member since '93, have made an average of 7 trips per year for the past 20 years.
Within DVC, we have:
RCI exchanges - Ft Myers & Ft Lauderdale
Concierge Collection - Miami (Doral) & Grove Park Inn, Asheville NC
DCL this coming May will complete 8 DCL cruises. I have taken over 15 cruises total.
We have 7 DVC trips already booked over the next 11 months.

We have been there 4 times... Stayed at POFQ, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs (AKL and CSR being my favorite resorts... we'll see about the Polynesian after the refurbishment).

We are going back to Orlando in 3 weeks: We start with Universal... but we end the trip in Disney. This time, we are trying a Downtown Disney Hotel (Wyndham), right across Downtown Disney... And we plan on spending a lot of time in Downtown Disney and if the weather is nice, we'll get the chance to try Typhoon Lagoon for the first time! :banana:

Why wouldn't/couldn't all these things be posted in this forum? It is for adults (couples or solos) travelling without children. My wife and I don't have kids, and have never felt the need for a "couples only" category on the DIS boards.

Why the need for a "couples" forum? What am I missing?

Why?

Why not?!?!

This is the solo section, there is a family section, a gay section... So... Why not a couples section as well?

It would be easier to find exactly what we are looking for. It would be easier to get infos about "romantic experiences" available in WDW, all at the same place.

We're not a "mature" couple. We're a young couple. To be honest, I thought the board was for retired couples and people travelling alone.

When I came into the board for the first time, the impression I got was it was mainly for solo travellers. Personally, I think these are two distinct categories of visitors, and would each warrant their own sub forum, within a general adults board.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I agree with you...

And I'm adding "romance" to the package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter