WDW Vet's First Trip to DLP for b'day with LOTS of pics

Lizboo

Travel Nut
Thanks for reading! My name is Elizabeth and I took this trip with my DH Marco. We are both 41 (I turned 41 on my first day at DLP), enjoy traveling and having fun and have no kids (unless you count our two dogs, which we do). We have been going to WDW at least once a year for the last 11 years and went to DL in California last year for my 40th b'day. I guess we will headed to Hong Kong next year, huh? LOL.

After spending several days in Paris, we took a cab to the RER station and made our way to DLP. I was suprized when we arrived at the train station that we were RIGHT THERE at the entrace of Disney Village and the entrance to both parks were so close. We found the bus for the Kyriad (actually #54 said it was for all 4 hotels). Well, turns out of first "ride" at DLP was a bus ride. We were tired and distracted and thought all buses at the stop went to the Kyriad...not so much. So we came back and made sure the next bus said Kyriad (as it turns out, there ARE some buses that went to all 4..but usually Kyriad was group with Explorers). We went to check in and I was pleased to see that the 3 people in front of us got their rooms right away (it was still in morning and I knew it wasn't check in time, but we were hoping to get lucky). Not so much...so we went to store or luggage (very cool self service area- see pic below) and then boarded the bus to head to Disneyland.:banana:

IMG_2456.jpg

As we approached DLP, I LOVED the Mickey clock and thought the Disneyland Hotel was just incredible..talk about a great location...how could you beat it? If money was no object, that would be where I would stay hands down.
IMG_2458.jpg

Thanks to the DIS, I had no purchased my tickets in advance as the Fantasy Pass was not only the least expensive option, but also came with great perks and discounts.:banana: The line to get the temp pass went very quickly.

The parks were realy busy all three days we were there but we used FPs and just "went with the flow".
IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

We went and got a FP for Space Mountain because I had heard such wonderful things about the coaster. It turns out the stand by time was only 20 minutes, so we rode it and then got right back on with our FP. I must say this coaster is just incredible...fast and fun and well themed, but I banged my head on the harness really hard (I had a bump on my head for days after). The second time, I not only kept my head back, but also tilted my head up a little. We were both immediately impressed with this coaster and knew we would ride this over again.
IMG_2463.jpg

We left SM and rode Buzz Lightyear. The version here is like the version in California. The one in WDW has the gun mounted on the ride and you don't have to continously pull the trigger. I just press it down at the beginning and start aiming. We still had fun and knew better for the next time (BTW- I won!) It was pretty funny listening to Buzz Lightyear speak French.

IMG_2475.jpg

By now it was getting to be lunch time, so I checked the map and gave Marco options. He chose Toad Hall, which was located in the next land. We headed that way for Fish and Chips and were lucky enough to find a table inside. It was just OK.
IMG_2466.jpg

After lunch, we checked the map and headed to Pirates. We loved the building and really liked this version and we knew this would be a ride we would have to ride again. As we left, we went to see if we could get a reservation at Blue Lagoon for that night. This is VERY different than the booking 180 days in advance for WDW. I was hoping to get to eat there for my b'day dinner.
DSC_1027.jpg

DSC_1026.jpg

We then headed to Phantom Manor as I was really curious about it (Haunted Mansion is one of my favourite rides). It was really cool...but I didn't get the story. What happened to the groom? Was the groom the bad guy? And why in the world did we end up in the old west (is that because we are in Frontierland? WEIRD).

We got a FP for Indy for later before we left.
DSC_1037.jpg

DH noticed that there was no Mickey ice cream treats:scared1: but we both really liked the "Magnum" ice cream treats.
DSC_1039.jpg

We also check out the castle, including the dragon (HOW COOL) before leaving to the hotel to check in, unpack a little and shower before coming back that night.

DSC_1052.jpg

DSC_1063.jpg

DSC_1065.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

We headed to Blue Lagoon and we were very happy to get a table for 2 right by the water. Last year, we ate at this restaurant's equivalent in California, but could have not been further from the water.

We opted for the appetizer/entree combo. DH got the crab appetizer (which was yummy) and I got the shrimp (which was also yummy).
IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

For our entrees, DH got the parrotfish and I got the fish wrapped in banana leaf and both were really good. I love how the rice was served in a coconut shell.

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

We split the banana 3 ways dessert and then headed to Indy.
IMG_2486.jpg

Indy was a fun but really short ride. I was glad we had FPs for the ride.
IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

We were tired and it had been a busy day, so we headed back to the room to go to bed and plan the next day. We thought we would start at the Studios the next day.

Sounds as though you had a great first day. Did you enjoy Paris as well?

I like the Kyriad as well. Some of the day the buses go to all 4 hotels but at busy times they only serve 2 - you arent the first person to just get on and realise its the wrong one

This gives a brief background to Phantom Manor story

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/disneyland-park/frontierland/phantom-manor/

Basically its in the Wild West as its linked to the rest of Frontierland - the whole area is based round Thunder Mesa town. The manor belonged to the owners of the Mine (BTM) and the bride was their daughter Melanie. The groom was a miner and Melanies father was unhappy about the marriage.

Looking forward to next part

Lovely start, your pic of the castle is perfect :cloud9:

Glad you enjoyed the Magnum's mmmmm and Blue Lagoon is definitely my favourite tied with Walt's!

I found Indy to be a bit of a let down when i rode it due to it being so short, it really is blink and you miss it.

Looking forward to the rest x

Sounds as though you had a great first day. Did you enjoy Paris as well?

I like the Kyriad as well. Some of the day the buses go to all 4 hotels but at busy times they only serve 2 - you arent the first person to just get on and realise its the wrong one

This gives a brief background to Phantom Manor story

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/disneyland-park/frontierland/phantom-manor/

Basically its in the Wild West as its linked to the rest of Frontierland - the whole area is based round Thunder Mesa town. The manor belonged to the owners of the Mine (BTM) and the bride was their daughter Melanie. The groom was a miner and Melanies father was unhappy about the marriage.

Looking forward to next part

Yes, we really did love Paris as well. It was our first trip, but def not our last. I thought I may post some of the Paris pics at the end (you know..lure you in with Disneyland and then make you look that the others).

Thank you for the explanation. I actually asked a CM and she said she didn't know.

We liked Toad Hall too. :)

I was so tired and hungry and happy to sit down. I thought it was odd there was no tartar sauce though.

Lovely start, your pic of the castle is perfect :cloud9:

Glad you enjoyed the Magnum's mmmmm and Blue Lagoon is definitely my favourite tied with Walt's!

I found Indy to be a bit of a let down when i rode it due to it being so short, it really is blink and you miss it.

Looking forward to the rest x

We didn't make it to Walt's this time, but def next time. It was open but being renovated (I will post a picture), so the windows were blocked. I had read it is a good place to eat during a parade, so next time.

Thanks about the picture...I have 50 others I took just trying to get it right.:rotfl:

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the rest :)

Thanks...soon..and the next day, we start with the other park. LOVED Crush!

enjoying your trip so far the picture of the castle is beautiful! xxx

I just read the story of phantom manor on wikipedia very interesting!

Great pictures!!!!!!

In the link in your signature, you are missing the / in the final . It should look like this... [...irst Trip to DLP for b'day with LOTS of pics

Great pictures!!!!!!

In the link in your signature, you are missing the / in the final . It should look like this... [...irst Trip to DLP for b'day with LOTS of pics

Glad you like the pictures...that's a passion of mine and Paris was a great place to use my gear.

OH..and thanks for the tip about the signature...it has been driving me crazy..thanks

Great start, lovely photos:goodvibes

Why thank you...stay tuned...

Lovely start. I agree about the castle photo. The blue of the sky makes the turrets on the castle 'pop'.

Looking forward to more :goodvibes

So the night before we left, we stopped by City Hall to make ressies for Agrabah Cafe for lunch the next day and ask about EMHs. I was suprized to find that we did not qualify staying at the Kyriad, but I still think we got to do what we wanted to do within the parks during our 3 days.

We were at the Studio for 9:30 and headed straight for Crush as soon as we got in.I was suprized that there was no FP because I would have gotten one and then gotten in line. DH and I are coaster freaks and I must say this one was not a let down at all. The theming was great and the spinning was wonderful and the track was so smooth. LOVED IT!

DSC_1068.jpg

DSC_1071.jpg

DSC_1073.jpg

DSC_1075.jpg

DSC_1704.jpg

DSC_1706.jpg

We wanted to head to Amimagique and saw that the first show was at 10:45 so we had some time to kill so we headed to Tower of Terror.
DSC_1708.jpg

This version is like the one in California and not like the one in WDW (which when the beginning intro is over, you move forward into the elevator shaft). I still love that ride and wanted to definitely ride it again.

We checked the time and still had some time, so we headed to Rock N Rollercoaster. DH said "I don't think this has Aerosmith in it" and I looked up at the sign and then noticed they were playing music not by Aerosmith. Then I saw Aeromsith on a sign...so we entered not really knowing what we were expecting. The pre-show with the band was super super short. If you don't know what I mean, youtube the WDW version. In the speakers before we launched, I heard someone testing tweeters and said "AWW...Man...no Steven Tyler" and about that time, he started talking. I just thought the theming wasn't done as well as the WDW version, but it was still fun.

We got out and checked the time, but it was too late for the show, but still we had more time before lunch, so we did the Armageddon attraction (which was pretty neat) and then headed to Disneyland for an amazing lunch.

So we headed into the park and stopped to get a FP for ig Thunder Mountain before heading to Agrabah Cafe. We have Lebanese at least once a week, so I was really looking forward to this.

We got there, paid right away and were shown to our seats and told where the buffet was. All I can say is YUM. We did eat lots as we had no breakfast and it was just too good to pass up. THAT WAS THE BEST HUMMUS I HAVE EVR HAD and I told the chef that also. The carrot salad and the make your own sandwich was yummy.

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

During lunch, I noticed there was a Tarzan show starting soon. There used to be a production at WDW called Tarzan Rocks that we really loved (so very cool and it featured live music). We headed that way and that was a nice flashback to the former show..(just need to add the musicians and rollerblading and BANG..there ya go). Really great show and nice to do right after that big lunch.

DSC_1102.jpg

DSC_1123.jpg

DSC_1129.jpg

DSC_1133.jpg

DSC_1139.jpg

DSC_1201.jpg

We headed back to BTM to use our FPs and the ride was down. So, we did Phantom Manor again (so awesome) and when we got out BTM was still down, so we did the Molly Brown boat. In all the years we have been going to WDW, we have never ridden the Liberty Bell (why? I am not sure) and we got some great view of BTM and PM from the boat.

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1206.jpg

DSC_1207.jpg

DSC_1212.jpg

DSC_1231.jpg

DSC_1242.jpg

DSC_1253.jpg

DSC_1279.jpg

When we got off, BTM was still down. We normally at this point at WDW would take an afternoon break, but we decided to head to the other park to watch some shows instead. We had 3 days there and wanted to see as much as we could. As we were headed out, an entire bunch of Mickey and Minnie balloons were let go (a sight I have never seen before).
DSC_1244.jpg

Check out the clouds...
DSC_1244.jpg

We headed to the Motor..Action show.

Normally at WDW, this would be the time that we would head back to the hotel for a break (nap/swim/shower), but we decided we had very little time to experience the parks, so we headed to the Studios to do some shows as a break.

We had seen the Motor Action show before, but never in both languages and not since Lightning McQueen was added. The show was great as usual.

DSC_1456.jpg

DSC_1517.jpg

DSC_1523.jpg

DSC_1542.jpg

DSC_1577.jpg

DSC_1594.jpg

DSC_1606.jpg

After we left, the line for RNR was slow, so we did the coaster again. We headed to Stitch Live (which was geared for kids, but I still liked it...DH thought the voice could be better).

Then we did the Backlot tour, where we saw something we have never seen at WDW. We saw staff members headed into work in street clothes. They were headed into a gate near the Tram. It just kinda spoils some of the magic or something. This attarction is pretty short and not much to it. Our screen was not working and I recognized Jeremy Iron's voice, but who was the female...was it Juliette Binoche?

After we left, we saw the last showing of Cinemagique, which was just incredible..that is a not to be missed indeed. Again, was the girl in the film Julie Delphy??

Then we debated on whether or not to head back to the room, but it was 7:15 and we knew we wanted to see the nighttime parade and fireworks, so we headed to Disney Village for some shopping (I got a Stitch hat and some pins and DH got a T shirt) and then headed to Earl of Sandwich for dinner before heading back to Disneyland.
IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

Once we got back into the park, we headed to BTM to use the FPs (they let us because they knew the ride had been broken down). We know at WDW and DLR, you can use FPs late, but I wasn't sure if the same was true here.

WHAT A GREAT RIDE!! i love that it was on an island and it was smooth and fast and so fun.

SO..if you are keeping score, I prefer the DLP's versions on Pirates, SM, BTM and PM(HM).

We checked the time and decided to do Space Mountain once more. We figured we could do it and then find a spot for the evening parade and fireworks. Wouldn't you know it...the ride broke down...but we stayed and hung in there but by the time we got out, the parade had started. So we decided to ride Buzz Lightyear again.

As we were leaving, we decided to stay for the fireworks so the next night, we could leave right after the parade. I was amazed that people we able to climb up on the fenced in areas down Main Street. This wouldn't be allowed at WDW.

I saw that the fireworks were called Enchanted, but I was clueless to the fact that this was based on the film (which I just love) so I was happy to hear the music. The fireworks were good but not on the grand scale at WDW.

DSC_1656.jpg

DSC_1660.jpg

DSC_1669.jpg

DSC_1678.jpg

DSC_1679.jpg

DSC_1688.jpg

DSC_1689.jpg

DSC_1690.jpg

DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1693.jpg

DSC_1694.jpg

Once the fireworks were done, we headed to our room. We were lucky yet again that we didn't have to wait for the bus.

The next day, we would start at the Studios and Crush again, lunch at Disney Village and then back to DLP.

Lovely photo's again, the castle with the fireworks are fab pixiedust: It's something we've yet to see. Really great trip report x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter