We'’re out of it! … A summer 14 “MAGICal” Med adventure Day 14/Aug 05 updated 05/05

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I've been a little distracted, but I'm working my way back around here.

Thanks for sharing your amazing pics of your Cinque Terre tour! It looks like such a beautiful and historical place to visit. You had a great tour guide, too - making sure you had snacks and drinks just when you needed them, but giving you time to explore. :thumbsup2

Nice you had a treat to greet you when you got back - too bad the Prosecco (?) wasn't cold.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the updates, Ellen.

Ellen, if you want to go to the Cinque Terre, I can only recommend booking a tour with Umberto. He really knows about the history and is really nice. He will work with you when it comes to "tweak" the tour too.
Let me know if I should give you his email.
[/QUOTE]

Yes please! It is still quite a ways away (nothing like planning WAAAAY in advance, right?) but that would be great! Thank you!:lovestruc

To you and Tom....

Thank you, Kathy, and a Happy New Year to you and your family too! :goodvibes

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I've been a little distracted, but I'm working my way back around here.

Happy New Year to you too, Tammie! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your amazing pics of your Cinque Terre tour! It looks like such a beautiful and historical place to visit. You had a great tour guide, too - making sure you had snacks and drinks just when you needed them, but giving you time to explore. :thumbsup2

It is one of the most beautiful parts of Italy and we had such great luck in picking Umberto as our tourguide.
He grew up in the area and knows everything about it. It was so interesting to hear all his stories and then to slow down and sample the yummy things the region had to offer. :thumbsup2

Nice you had a treat to greet you when you got back - too bad the Prosecco (?) wasn't cold.

I think they had delivered the ice-bucket in the morning and the ice had all melted away when we got back. But we still had a lot of days on board and it did not go to waste. ;)

Yes please! It is still quite a ways away (nothing like planning WAAAAY in advance, right?) but that would be great! Thank you!:lovestruc

Ellen, I am going to PM you his website and email. I was lucky to get him (personally) about 9 months prior to our cruise. He really is THE best!!!

Day 5, July 27

Cinque Terre for foodies …… - Part 9

Today’s show was Villains Tonight and since we both had seen it before we were in no hurry, so after we had showered we picked up our Fish Extender gifts and headed out to hand them out.
Once we were done, we strolled around the open deck and since there was no one at the Future Cruise desk we stopped by to reshop one of our cruises for 2015. Discount received we headed back to our stateroom and soon after, the ship was moving and we were gliding out of La Spezia harbour. We watched from the veranda for quite some time

until we needed to get ready for dinner. Today’s dinner was at Carioca’s, the new restaurant on board the Magic. We arrived there and were soon led to our table

and greeted by Jason and Jay. We were handed a menu and Jay headed backstage to get us some Diet Cokes. He returned to our table pretty quickly, bringing not only the Diet Cokes, but also the bread service for the day, the

Warm Banana Bread with

Mango-Mint-Mojo. Neither of us cares for Banana Bread, but we tried the Mango-Mint-Mojo and it was just too sweet for us. So we stuck with the dinner rolls and some butter. And very soon Jay returned with with some other drinks we had ordered as well, the

Mojito de Casa, Casamigos Tequila, King Ginger, Mint Leaves and freshly squeezed Lime Juice. It was nice and refreshing and well received. Soon after our starters arrived. Tom had ordered the

Empanadas Panzudas de Carne, Argentinian Beef Empenadas with Chimichurri. My choice were the

Deep Fried Lobster Croquetas, with a Banana- Lentil Salad and Creamed Horseradish. Both were really nice and quickly consumed. And it did not take long to receive our Main courses after we had finished our starters. Tom had ordered the

Jose Carioca’s, Skewered and Grilled Brazilian Sausage, Adobo Chili, Crusted Lamb, and Tenderloin with Mexican Tomato Rice, Jumbo Shrimp, Chimichurri, and a Lime-Garlic Orange Mojo, which was presented in a fun way. I had had a harder time finding something on the menu that really tickled my fancy, so I opted for the

Slow Roasted Breast of Chicken, served with Creamy Grits and Collard Greens, and a Red Wine reduction. It was really nice, nothing special but good. Once we had munched our way through the entrée, we were handed a dessert menu. Tom just wanted coffee for dessert, while I really wanted to try the

Coconut Tres Leches “Three Milk” Cake – Moist Coconut Cake soaked in three Milks, served with a Light Coconut Cream, which was pretty nice. And when we were done and wanted to say our goodbyes Jay told us to please stay put, as he had another magic trick to show us. We stayed put! We stayed put for quite some time and were watching him performing his magic tricks at other tables. He finally made it back to our table and we did not want to hurt his feelings when he showed us more than one trick, but we were happy when we could get up and return to our stateroom. There was another fun towel animal on our bed, a crab,

and when we opened the door to our bathroom all you could smell was the scent from the air freshener. Money well spent! It was pretty late and we were both so tired, that we soon fell into bed for another good night’s sleep.

To be continued ..........

I am really excited about trying out Cariocas on our cruise! I think it looks lovely after the refresh (but I even like Parrot Cay, I know I am strange...). I think the plates are really lovely with the splash of colour on them.

Seems like you had not the best dining experience there... I think Michael and I are very obvious about not being that interested in Magic tricks and stuff like that and it was only our very charming server on the last cruise who was able to interest us in that kind of stuff. But he was really good about not being intrusive with it. I am afraid that I would have been very firm about not hanging around to wait for some trick...

I wasn't a big fan of Cariocas menu either. I know they have changed it 3 or 4 times adding and taking off things but it still seems that they haven't gotten it quite right.

I am really excited about trying out Cariocas on our cruise! I think it looks lovely after the refresh (but I even like Parrot Cay, I know I am strange...). I think the plates are really lovely with the splash of colour on them.

It was nicely decorated, but the menu was not really all that "inviting" that day to me.

Seems like you had not the best dining experience there... I think Michael and I are very obvious about not being that interested in Magic tricks and stuff like that and it was only our very charming server on the last cruise who was able to interest us in that kind of stuff. But he was really good about not being intrusive with it. I am afraid that I would have been very firm about not hanging around to wait for some trick...

Jay's magic tricks were amazingly good. He did it very well, but he took a lot of time and people were constantly asking back as he was so hard to understand. And we might have "disappeared", but he was so enthusiastic about showing his tricks, so we did not want to disappoint him. :rotfl2:

I wasn't a big fan of Cariocas menu either. I know they have changed it 3 or 4 times adding and taking off things but it still seems that they haven't gotten it quite right.

I just expected more from the menu. And while Tom's plate looked great with all the scewers, he did not deem it outstanding. We will see next time we sail if something has changed (hopefully the quality of the meat, which was fairly poor).

Day 6, July 28

“Veni, vidi, let’s get rid of that tour guide!!!” - Part 1

Even though we had been up late the day before we were up again at around 7am. We were already docked in Civitaveccia, the port for Rome. Not really the most beautiful port, but we had not planned on staying there anyway, we had booked another semi-private excursion.
So around 8.30 we headed down to Carioca’s again for some kind of breakfast. By now we had bought a nice mug to use for tea, so once we had been seated I just asked for really hot water and unpacked my mug. I wish I had had my camera ready to take a photo of the server’s expression. Then he sped away to get some coffee for Tom and really hot water for my tea. Once he had returned and I had started my tea with the tea I had brought and we went to the buffet. Same as every day, so we stayed with our usual grub, scrambled eggs, baked beans, bacon and breakfast potatoes.

I tried one of their Danish pastries as well, but it was a bit on the limp but very sweet side. Again, after taking pictures we started to add a bit of flavour in the form of salt and pepper and then ate our luke warm breakfast. But at least that day I had some really hot tea. Heaven! We still had some time until we needed to be at our meeting place, so once we were back in our stateroom we changed and then signed off the ship and went over to where the shuttle buses were waiting. We got onto the first one and after sitting there for about five minutes we were on our way. The shuttle buses dropped you off at a huge parking lot where loads of private tours and buses were waiting. You also could get other means of transport there too. Now, when I was planning the trip I was torn between taking one of Disney’s trips, but to go with a huge group was not really appealing so I started looking around for private and semi private tours. Private tours in Rome were really pricey for the two of us. So, when I came across a semi private one, I started to look into it more.
It offered a tour of the city with a driver, who was supposed to act as a guide while driving and you would share your car with other people. Time of the tour 8 hours. Sounded good to me. So I booked it before we left and we were now looking for our tour company. Didn’t take us long, as they were all wearing bright yellow shirts and we headed over, gave our name and …… they had no idea what we were talking about. Thankfully there was a lady who was German who was with the group and she then mentioned that they had had a bit of difficulty with online bookings, but that there were enough vehicles that would take us into town, but at the moment we were the only two booked on a semi-private tour and we would have to wait a bit until they found more people to join us. Well, at that time we didn’t mind, as we had been early anyway, so we just stayed to the side and waited. No one seemed to be interested in joining that tour, but our voucher said that the tour would be done, even if it would only be the two of us. So, no worries. About 45 minutes later I got a bit antsy and went to find the lady again and she said it would only be a few more minutes.
And while we were waiting, two people who had obviously booked a tour on a large bus were led our way and told that since we were the only ones they would be upgraded to the semi-private tour. Sweet! We have been waiting for nearly an hour and now we hear that they pay only half of what we paid. Ah well, I guess we can live with it. So then we walk over to where some cars are parked and we get to talk with the couple, who were from another ship and had been the only ones on their bus as well. Once we had gotten to the other cars there was another young “lady” who was talkin with four guys who wanted to tour as well. Ah well, more people in our van. But then we noticed what they were on about – they needed to be back about two hours earlier than we were supposed to be back. And the girl was just assuring that it would not be a problem at all. They could take the whole group back whenever we/they wanted. That was the moment when I mentioned that I had booked an 8 hour semi-private tour and we did not plan on getting back early. Guess what, her answer was that we would be on our own then, as we were one group and the driver would be driving back at the time he told us, and that 6 hours were more than enough. Given that it takes you an hour to drive into the city and back, that leaves 4 hours to explore the city. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that she then sold them discounted cheap bus tour tickets. By that time I was no longer a happy bunny.
But we both bit our lip and hoped for things to change. We then headed to a parking garage where we met our driver and were loaded into the bus, where the four guys announced that they needed to get to an ATM as they did not bring any Euro. The driver promised to get them to an ATM and then off we went. Now the drive into the city is about an hour and mostly on the motorway, so it was pretty boring. About 15 minutes into the drive the driver/guide explained that since he was doing the driving he was showing us a video of Rome on the way there. To say the video was old would be an understatement, but at least we got an overview of the city and the sights. Or so we thought. The screen was at an awkward angle and the sound terrible, so what we got was mostly a mirrored vision with bad sound. No problem, we just closed our eyes and tried to sleep a bit.
We dozed a bit and woke up when the driver started to “point out sights”. Over there – this, over there – that. We didn’t catch a lot as there were regular windows and so the metal framing took away from the view. But soon we approached St. Peter’s and everyone was excited. The bus stopped and we all tried to get off, but there was already a vendor who asked if we had tickets to St. Peter’s. No one did and the guys needed to find an ATM first. The vendor told us that they could get us in without waiting in the regular line and so the other couple and us agreed to give it a try. He speed walked us over to a side entrance and handed us over to another guy.
There we got in line and waited for a bit. And then we heard that they were collecting passports in order for them to get the tickets. Sorry guys, I do not hand over my passport to a person in the street, who then walks away with it. The English couple didn’t want to do that either, so we all told them we didn’t have a passport with us. Well, they would take a driver’s license as well. No way am I handing my driver’s license to a strange person in the street. So they went on telling us that in order to get in they just needed a photo ID. So the English couple then offered them their ship’s ID, which had a photo on it. No, that was not good enough. Well, but wait, there was one other thing that we could do.
Hand them 100€ each or a credit card. Okay, that was the moment I knew I wanted out of it. Where, I ask you, counts a 100€ bill as photo ID and I do not carry a credit card with a photo either. Tom and I just told them that we would leave and so did they English couple who was just as stunned about the practice as we were. We then split up and took some photos from the outside

and then headed back to where our van was supposed to be parked. There was a restroom and a souvenir shop and after taking a bodily break we explored the souvenir shop, but didn’t find anything to buy apart from a little snack. Tom had a Moretti, while I opted for a more sugary treat, a Vanilla Cornetto.

We strolled along the street while drinking and eating and finally saw our minivan pull up again. So, once we had finished our food we slowly went over there and were very rudely asked why we had opted out of the tour. We told him about the “ID issue” and he kept on saying that we were so wrong not to go. Guess he gets a commission which he was no out of. When the time to leave came, only Tom and I and the English couple were there.

Day 6, July 28

“Veni, vidi, let’s get rid of that tour guide!!!” - Part 2

When the time to leave came, only Tom and I and the English couple were there.
We were then told that the four guys had taken a little longer finding an ATM and HAD taken the tour and we needed to wait for them, but he would be nice enough to take us another site in the meantime and then picking us up from there. Okay, sounds good to me and off we went.

A few minutes later we found ourselves in front of the Castel Sant Angelo, which we would have loved to go inside, but we only had 25 minutes there.

Instead of visiting we went all around and admired and explored as much as we could. We were back at our meeting place right on time

and had to wait for the minivan for another 10 minutes. And while waiting we saw quite a few of those hop on hop off sightseeing buses go by and I wished I had just booked the transfer into the city and hopped on one of those. But finally we got onto our ride and off we went. Now the driver was pointing out several sights,

but with the speed he was driving and the small windows it was hard to get a glimpse, let alone a photo. And soon enough the minivan stopped again, we were all to get off and told that if we headed that way for about 5 minutes we would get to “so and so” and we had 25 minutes to do so. I guess that was the moment I snapped.
I asked Tom if he would mind getting off the minivan tour and get on a hop off, hop on bus. He was all for it and I told the driver that I would now get onto the hop on hop off bus and where would we be able to catch up with them.
His face was priceless when he realized that we didn’t want to go along with his fab tour, but instead wanted to join a bus tour. So he offered to take us to the starting point of the bus tour. And even though I would have been happy to get on anywhere he insisted on driving us there. We told him that we wanted to get on the official red bus and he took off with us. Once we got back to St. Peter’s he told us that he would pick us up there, right where he let us off and that he would help us get discount tickets as he was with a tour company. Since we had paid the most for his tour, we let him go ahead and get another vendor.
I should have known better.
The tour bus tickets we had been sold were not for the red bus, but another bus company. But I only realized after the transaction was done and the driver had taken off, so we just checked the route and the stops and it looked pretty similar, so we just went for it. That was the moment, the vendor told us that the bus stop was actually at the other end of the street. So we strolled down the street and finally at the very end there was the bus stop. A bus pulled up about 5 minutes later and a lot of people got off and we were able to get some seats on the top deck. We plucked in our earphones and off we went. The tour took about 2 hours and we realized that our driver had given us a pick up time that was way past the time the guys on the tour needed to drive back. We just assumed that they would take another means of transport back. The tour itself was quite nice, passing all the major sights of the city.

(word of warning - all of those pics were taken from a FULL bus, which was moving quite fast, so most of the photos are at an angle :rotfl2: I am just too lazy to put them all straight.)

More to come in the next post.

Day 6, July 28

“Veni, vidi, let’s get rid of that tour guide!!!” - Part 3

Sightseeing tour continued.

Day 6, July 28

“Veni, vidi, let’s get rid of that tour guide!!!” - Part 4

Day 6, July 28

“Veni, vidi, let’s get rid of that tour guide!!!” - Part 5

There was still about an hour left until the minivan was supposed to pick us up again, so when we passed a restaurant that had availability we went inside and ordered some lunch. Tom had another

Moretti, while I had ordered some Diet Coke. Tom ordered a

White pizza, topped with Parma ham, Arugula and shavings of fresh Parmesan. My choice was way simpler, I just ordered a pizza

Capricciosa, which had tomato sauce, cheese, ham, salami, eggs, artichokes and mushrooms on it. Both were really nice, nothing special, but hit the spot. Once we had finished lunch and paid our bill I picked up some ice-cream,

Malaga and Cassata, before slowly walking up the street again

toward where we were supposed to be picked up. We discussed if the rest of the group had already been driving back and we would be picked up by another driver, or if they had sent the “guys” ahead. We were pretty surprised, when the minivan pulled up and everyone was still inside. The guys were definitely late for wherever they needed to go now, but they did not seem to mind. Once we had gotten on board the minivan we were on our way back to the ships. It was a long quiet drive back as traffic was a bit heavy and we didn’t go as fast as expected. When we got back to Civitaveccia the driver asked the guys if they wanted to be dropped off first. I think, they had bonded the most, but by now we did not really care more.
They did not mind being dropped off first and the driver headed somewhere in port. Only when we approached a certain dock, they told him that they needed to go somewhere else. Tom and I just looked at each other rolling our eyes, but then the driver mentioned that he would drop off the English couple first.
Well, the Magic was moored just behind their ship, so we decided to get off there as well. We had to get off anyway to let the English couple climb out, and the driver was somewhat surprised when we did not climb back in and instead told him that we were going to walk. Now, those of you who have read some of our trip reports, know, that we are quite heavy tippers. But for once we could not bring ourselves to tip that driver. We just turned and walked.
Sorry, but since we had overpaid, had been scolded for not going along with the guide at St. Peter’s and the service received, I was not feeling like “owing” them any more. It did not take long for us to reach the Magic,

go through security and finally head up to our room. We were both tired and hot and ready for a shower. Well, we were in for a surprise. We opened the door and walked into an “in stateroom” shower. There was kind of a small waterfall coming down from the AC. I nearly stepped right into it, but stopped just in time. The dripping stopped after about 30 seconds, but the carpet had gotten pretty wet and we ripped towels from the rack to put them on the floor and mop it all up. Once we had gotten over the initial surprise of it, I picked up the phone and called maintenance. I let them know that we had had some water coming into our room from the ceiling, most likely to do with the AC. About 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door and they had sent us a plumber. He took a quick look and was sure it did not have to do with plumbing, thank god, yucky just to think about it. So he called for AC maintenance. Another 10 minutes later there was another knock at the door and AC maintenance had arrived. He opened up the AC took out a dripping wet piece of cloth, put it in a bag and put a new one in. I guess he must have noticed that we were standing there with our mouths wide open in disbelief, so he explained that the AC was old and leaking “all over the place” – his words not mine, so they were mopping up the moisture with pieces of cloth. Since it was pretty hot and the AC on more or less constantly it seemed to leak a bit more than usual. And he told us that should it leak again, just to call him and he would exchange the cloth again. Before he left us, he asked if we needed a drier, but the towel had dried off the area pretty well and the spot on the floor would be dry again soon enough.

Day 6, July 28

“Veni, vidi, let’s get rid of that tour guide!!!” - Part 6

Before he left us, he asked if we needed a drier, but the towel had dried off the area pretty well and the spot on the floor would be dry again soon enough.
When he had left, we both needed a drink. I had a glass of the

Prosecco we had been gifted for being Platinum cruisers and Tom picked a beer out of the fridge. We sat out on the veranda trying to take in what had just happened sipping our drinks. And once the drinks had kicked in with their “calming” effect, we took those showers we had had wanted to take from when we had gotten back.
At around 10 to 6, we headed down to the Walt Disney Theatre, for tonight’s show, which was Once Upon A Song. Performers of the Walt Disney Theatre singing some of the most loved songs. It sounded nice and we knew that we could “flee” if we didn’t like it, as we had secured seats at the back and the end of a row. And it did not take long for Brent to take the stage, followed by his Spanish sidekick. Since by then they made my skin crawl, we decided to check the app and find out what was for dinner. We also read up on what the show was all about and soon enough they both left the stage and the show started. This was all and even more than we expected. There were 6 performers who sang Disney movie songs, some well known, some lesser known ones and they were really really good and captured the audience’s attention pretty well. We happily stayed till the end and even though the show was about 40 minutes long, we could have sat for quite a while longer. When we left the theatre it was already around 8pm, so we wandered the ship a bit, strolling through the shops, just to make sure they did not have a secret stash anywhere in Rome to fill up the stores again. No, they did not, so we just walked outside and watched the hustle and bustle of the Atrium for a while. And then we returned to our stateroom to pick up my camera and head down to Lumiere’s for dinner. There was quite the line to get into the restaurant, so we joined the masses and once inside we quickly had found our table, taken our seats and were handed the menu.

Jay already had our Diet Cokes handy and brought them to the table right away. And next he put the

Warm French Country Bread, that looked like simple baguette, and

Olive Spread on the table. We had not even have time to try the bread and spread when Jason came around to give his recommendation and take our order. Food came out quickly and we were served our starter,

Duck Confit, slow cooked duck leg, pulled and garnished with dried cranberries and walnuts and I gave the

Breaded and Deep Fried Brie with an orange and cranberry chutney a second try. Both were very good and I really liked this Brie a lot more than the one I had had on a previous cruise. Once we had finished, our plates were quickly taken away and we were served our second course. Tom had the

Farmhouse Salad, Mache lettuce, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and Fingerling potatoes, served with a Goats Cheese Crostini and Olive Vinaigrette, while I stuck with what I knew, the

Potage Parmentier, the leek and potato soup. Again, they were tasty and nice and and soon our plates were empty. Next up were the Main Courses. Tom had ordered the

Roasted Rack of Lamb, served with Dauphinoise potatoes, buttered Brussels sprouts and Claret Rosemary Sauce. My choice had been the

Chateaubriand Roasted Fillet Steak, roasted fillet steak, crushed new potatoes with shallots, buttered green beans, red wine jus and Bernaise Sauce on the side. We didn’t rush through our main courses and took some time enjoying them as they were really tasty. And then it was time for dessert and a magic trick from Jay. Since we had taken a little longer with our mains, he had had time to show his trick to other tables and now it was our turn, while Jason was going to get dessert for us. It was amazing the time and effort Jay had taken to perfect his magic tricks and he really stunned us all. Only problem was, that he was really hard to understand and Tom and I found ourselves nodding and oohing and aahing a lot, then once he had left we would turn to each other to ask what it had all been about and we both had not understood a thing. But once Jason returned with our dessert, the tricks had to stop. We both had ordered the

Grand Marnier Souffle, infused with fresh orange zest and served with a Grand Marnier Crème Anglaise. It’s one of the best desserts they have to offer, so it was a no brainer to order it and it did not disappoint. Once we had finished our desserts we chatted with the head server for a while, then said our goodbyes to Jay and Jason and since the elevators were jammed we just slowly walked up to our stateroom.
We picked up our FE gifts, that we had prepared previously and went all over the ship to hand them out. Perfect exercise after such a heavy meal. We returned to our stateroom around midnight and went right to bed.

Karin, I am a longtime fan of your trip reports and just wanted to thank you for sharing. I really enjoy all the detail (including beautiful photography) that you put into your reports.

Although I doubt we'll be able to afford a European cruise, our son will be based in Germany very soon and we're looking forward to some European adventures of our own! :)

OMG Karin - what a day. I am exhausted just reading about it. How terribly frustrating. I don't blame you one bit for not tipping that driving. The whole thing sounds like a fiasco.

And the ID thing at St Peters. WTH? Is that normal or was it just with that vendor? Who is going to leave their ID with someone?????? :faint:

Despite the frustration, I enjoyed all your pictures and I really think you did a great job with rolling with the situation.

Boo to the broken AC. I am sure you were quite ready for a drink.

Dinner looks lovely!

Oh No!! I was not even able to really appreciate your lovely pictures of Rome because I was so nervous whether there would be even more drama about getting back to the ship in time!! :scared1:

I am glad that you were proactive and got the most out of what could have been a very crappy day. Well done!

The show sounds similar to what they did on the Panama Canal cruise when they had the show about songs from famous film musicals. It was one of my favorite shows! I guess for cruised longer than 7 days they add in additional shows with the Walt Disney Performers and those are a real bonus!

And your server might have been a perfect candidate for the Crew talent show we had on that cruise as well. I hope he will be able to perfect his language skills as much as his magic skills in the future. He sounds like he is real Disney material!

I just expected more from the menu. And while Tom's plate looked great with all the scewers, he did not deem it outstanding. We will see next time we sail if something has changed (hopefully the quality of the meat, which was fairly poor).

I had the same meal as Tom too and it was just OK. The meat quaility was not fabulous for me either.

Karin, I am a longtime fan of your trip reports and just wanted to thank you for sharing. I really enjoy all the detail (including beautiful photography) that you put into your reports.

Thank you so much for your kind words. :goodvibes
Sharing our travel adventures here, lets me relive our vacation again - so there is something in it for all of us. ;)

Although I doubt we'll be able to afford a European cruise, our son will be based in Germany very soon and we're looking forward to some European adventures of our own! :)

Disney is just outragously expensive when it comes to their European cruises, but there are some other really good companies out there. Tom and I are actually looking into some others :scared1: as I am not sure I can (and want) spend that much money again.

Where will your son be based in Germany? I guess that will be the perfect excuse to "have to" visit him here and spend some time in good old Europe!

OMG Karin - what a day. I am exhausted just reading about it. How terribly frustrating. I don't blame you one bit for not tipping that driving. The whole thing sounds like a fiasco.

Apart from tour tour fiasco it was quite a nice day and once we had gotten on the Hop on Hop off bus it really became a great day.
I actually felt bad about not tipping, but that driver pushed my buttons just a bit too much and we just decided that THAT was it!

And the ID thing at St Peters. WTH? Is that normal or was it just with that vendor? Who is going to leave their ID with someone?????? :faint:

I had not researched going into St. Peter's as I knew we would only have little time. So I have no idea if that is a regular practice, but I would NEVER EVER hand over one of my documents (either passport, driver's license) to a total stranger. And the fun part was that he "needed" some photo ID, but then would have done with a 100€ note or a CC. Both are NO picture IDs. Raised a flag with me and off we went.
On the other hand, Rome is just a 2 hour flight, so we can go back whenever we want. ;)

Despite the frustration, I enjoyed all your pictures and I really think you did a great job with rolling with the situation.

Once we got away from the driver and the tour things got back to normal and we both really enjoyed the bus tour. We saw a lot and were happy that the weather, even though it was overcast, held out and it did not rain.

Boo to the broken AC. I am sure you were quite ready for a drink.

It seemed to be a regular occurance. :lmao: Well, so far this was a ship out of drydock not too long ago. :rotfl2: Job well done, Disney. :lmao:

Dinner looks lovely!

It was really nice! :thumbsup2

Oh No!! I was not even able to really appreciate your lovely pictures of Rome because I was so nervous whether there would be even more drama about getting back to the ship in time!! :scared1:

We were prepaired to just take a taxi back to the ship, and were stunned that our driver just turned up right on time.

I am glad that you were proactive and got the most out of what could have been a very crappy day. Well done!

It was a really awkward situation. The driver would call out sights and we would all kind of scramble to see something out the windows and when we got a glimpse we were already past it.
That was not what I call a tour, with a private guide.
So leaving them and getting onto the HoHo was the right decision for us. :thumbsup2

The show sounds similar to what they did on the Panama Canal cruise when they had the show about songs from famous film musicals. It was one of my favorite shows! I guess for cruised longer than 7 days they add in additional shows with the Walt Disney Performers and those are a real bonus!

Tom and I really loved that show! The performers were outstanding - such great voices. And it was the first time we saw something like this. :goodvibes

And your server might have been a perfect candidate for the Crew talent show we had on that cruise as well. I hope he will be able to perfect his language skills as much as his magic skills in the future. He sounds like he is real Disney material!

He WAS participating in it and had even invited us to watch him, but we just never made it there.
His tricks were really awesome - not your regular "throw away" the crayon kind of magic. His tricks were far better, but you are right, he needs to work on his language skills.

I had the same meal as Tom too and it was just OK. The meat quaility was not fabulous for me either.

It looked so awesome, with all the skewers and I was really hoping that the mediocre meet quality had to do with them catering in Europe. :scared1:

Oh - and I forgot to mention that the AC is really an issue that should not be! I am reading your trip report also to know what we can expect on our cruise in June and I am very happy that at least this should not be an issue. I just hope the heating is as faulty as the AC, because we will need that for sure!! :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter