We’re Still Awake! An August MNSSHP Trip Report (Complete 4/10/21)

So, I mentioned it briefly on your thread, but we're cruising from NY in August. We got a great rate on 2 and 3 person connecting ocean view rooms, so we'll have two bathrooms and a door that shuts between us! Ports are Bermuda, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay, which all have beach access that's walkable/public transitable so we don't have to budget for big excursions.
We have talked about a Cruise to Bermuda... Basically, we have no idea what we want to do which is making it so very overwhelming.

At this point is was about 5:00pm. FW and FH said their goodbyes and headed for the AK buses while the rest of us headed for the pool. Pool time was… challenging. Our girls were running on full Disney excitement, had spent the day cooped up in airplanes, and were strong swimmers who love a good slide. The friends, on the other hand, were already a week into their trip, coming off of an MK morning that started with a BoG PPO, and were non-swimmers who don’t like getting water in their faces. Plus, Hubby and I were as yet unfamiliar with the layout of Stormalong Bay and the relative difficulty in getting from one side of it to the other. We entered from the Beach Club side of things and I think we had to cross a half dozen bridges to make it to the sandy bottom section. If we’d known what we were doing, we would have just walked out by the lake and entered on the other side, but so it goes.
That pool is amazing but also VERY large! And with those 2 types of swimmers I can see how it would be stressful. I am so grateful that our girls are both strong enough swimmers that I can let them go do whatever. I mean at this point, Morgan is probably a better swimmer than me, as I am sadly out of shape.

. If it had been one of my girls, we would have employed the “it’s not bleeding, you’re fine, suck it up” method of wound care, but it’s harder being the mean mom when you’re not the mom. Plus, she was already the shortest, slowest member of our group and I didn’t want to deal with her whining on the way to dinner.
I feel like that is the hardest part watching other people's kids. You can only be so strick with them. The walk to the Boardwalk is kind of long too. It would have taken you guys FOREVER to get over there.

Of course, on this day, they all decided to double up on their normal portions leaving Hubby and me with lots of crust and a couple of bites of burger each.
Traveling, a theme park and swimming will build up an appitete! At least you guys had beer.

Except, there was alcohol in the order and I was the only one with photo ID, so I had to leave him with the kids heading toward the open flame while I went to the front.
Oh man! Part of why I still do Garden Grocer is that I don't have to be there for them to deliver it and I don't have to show them my drivers liscense any more. They don't have the biggest selection and I am sure they are pricer but the ease of picking it when I am ready to is worth it to me.

The kids started checking out the room by looking for hidden Mickeys, then decided to have some fun on the jumbo balcony.

H6Uv2dUl.jpg

That is a huge balcony! Did you say you were sharing it with another room?

I needed to shower off the pool and sunscreen before my head could hit the pillow. While mid-shower, A started coughing in her sleep and then throwing up in bed. I ended up standing there in my birthday suit, dripping water, holding her hair while she emptied the rest of her stomach into the toilet. If I could wipe one memory from the trip, this would definitely be it.
Oh no!!! This happened last time, too? RIght? You know, these moments happen even on vacation. Morgan used throw up on que at 10:00 PM when she was little. I don't know if it was part of her REM sleep cycle or what. But if she was going to throw up it was 10:00 PM!

In the grand scheme of Disney days, this was not my favorite by a long shot. I knew, between travel, checking in, watching the kids, and getting the groceries, that it was going to be a tough one. I had even brought up to Hubby potentially scrapping the grocery delivery, but we both wanted to have breakfast food and snacks available in the room. The evening was even more stressful than we had planned, but even a bad day in Disney is still worth it. Also, since we got our babysitting night out of the way first, we had nothing but fun, including our own date night, to look forward to the rest of the trip. Those who read along with my first report will notice that this put us at 2 for 2 on starting our trips to the World with gastrological fireworks and (spoiler) it wasn’t going to be the last of them either. It was the last of them for the night, though, and we all slept like logs.
Just reading that was exhausting!! 6 kids is a lot. But I would have done the same thing, get it out of the way. You had nothing but clear sailing after that! And your 3 probably felt like a dream after that!

Despite the fact that it was well past our check in time, we still hadn’t gotten a room ready text: so much for skipping the desk and heading straight to our room.

Ugh the worst.

Of course, we got our room number text just as we found our friends’ room

Typical.

We were in a standard view room with a huge shared balcony overlooking the bus stop.

IXDf72cl.jpg

Wow! That is a HUGE balcony. How many rooms was it shared with?

Pool time was… challenging.

Just thinking about taking 6 kids to the pool gives me a migraine. You are a saint!

Hubby was using two QS credits to get pizzas for us to share, so I told him to go ahead and get two beers as the drinks: he seemed like he needed it.

Smart.

I’m not sure if they pack them by department or what, but what could have been 3 well packed grocery bags and one case of Mike’s was at least 8 bags.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves! Having been a cashier, I despise poorly packed grocery bags lol.

I ended up standing there in my birthday suit, dripping water, holding her hair while she emptied the rest of her stomach into the toilet.

Oh no :( :(

Right away, they sent someone up who threw the dirty things into a trash bag and offered to remake the bed.

That was kind.

Also, since we got our babysitting night out of the way first, we had nothing but fun, including our own date night, to look forward to the rest of the trip.

An exhausting day I'm sure but that's the perfect way to look at it!

(well and 2020, don't tell my husband)

Same, don't tell my wife.

I will leave Hubby (@trippedup ) to chime in regarding the campfire shenanigans if he feels so inclined; there is no photographic evidence to support his story either way.

there is no photographic evidence to support his story either way.

no evidence

Many people don't realize the unicorn rides around Crescent Lake are free as long as you know the proper incantation, so after we all ran a sub-2 hour marathon and test rode Rise of the Resistance, the eldest summoned a Pokemon and we were on our way. Darn shame I left the lens cap on my camera.

I was actually really pleasantly surprised by the campfire setup. I had assumed we'd be paying through the nose for a mickey S'more kit but it was all included and the 2 Cast Members were doing a great job of keeping everyone safe while still having fun. Love the Crescent Lake resorts.

The setup was a couple firepits in a controlled area with one CM distributing sticks and marshmallows while the other enforced the cardinal rule of always blow out flaming marshmallows. We had two cub scouts, but the rest had never done this before and I was pretty sure would enjoy the roasting more than the eating. Since I tend to run a tight ship, I brought everyone in to a huddle and relayed sage wisdom that I think will stick with them even to this day: "Fire" I solemnly stated "Is hot. Really hot. So hot, if you touch it, we will have to go to the hospital. Disney is more fun than hospitals." Everyone nodded, and we broke the huddle to a shout of Marshmallows.

Everyone got 2 marshmallows, and was very patient making a perfect mallow the first time, and then promptly set the second on fire to watch it burn. A great time was had by all, despite the fact that you could actually watch my hair turning grey.

There was a moment of sheer terror as our friends youngest daughter blew out her last charcoal-mallow, and immediately ate the cinder in one bite off the stick. Her nose was a dark shade of purple and it honestly looked like she burned it blowing the char-ball out. My classic dad move is to let the kid freak out first, because if I start freaking out, they will too regardless if there is an actual reason. I just casually turned pale and called my wife, repeatedly, while pacing.

She came and wiped the dried cranberry juice off her nose, and we were good to go.

What better way to start a vacation than babysitting?!? In all seriousness, though, trading off date nights had been built into things from the very beginning. Since it was such a short trip, there were only so many evenings where we could fit it in. We were taking the first shift while FH and FW headed over to AK for the evening. But first, we had to drop our bags in our room and get changed for Stormalong Bay.

HAHA I mean there are worse ways to start a vacation, you just saved them for a few hours later!

Despite the fact that it was well past our check in time, we still hadn’t gotten a room ready text: so much for skipping the desk and heading straight to our room. The CM checked and our room was delayed, so we got a $100 credit, an apology, and a promise that they’d make sure to get it ready ASAP. We decided to change in our friends’ room so that our bad room luck wouldn’t impact their date night. We started walking through to Beach Club, and kept walking, and… kept walking. It turns out their room as about as far away from YC as they could get, and the kids weren’t in any rush to get moving as they wanted to take it all in.

UGH so annoying, this happened to us once, we didn't get one of our rooms till almost 9pm! It in my first trip report but i was not happy at all! I think its is crazy how close but how far apart YC and BC are, its so hard to really understand it till you do that crazy walk!

Our room was very close to the elevators, so we didn’t have to trek through nearly as much of YC as BC. We were in a standard view room with a huge shared balcony overlooking the bus stop.

IXDf72cl.jpg

WOW this looks amazing, i am kinda jealous of this!

At this point is was about 5:00pm. FW and FH said their goodbyes and headed for the AK buses while the rest of us headed for the pool. Pool time was… challenging. Our girls were running on full Disney excitement, had spent the day cooped up in airplanes, and were strong swimmers who love a good slide. The friends, on the other hand, were already a week into their trip, coming off of an MK morning that started with a BoG PPO, and were non-swimmers who don’t like getting water in their faces. Plus, Hubby and I were as yet unfamiliar with the layout of Stormalong Bay and the relative difficulty in getting from one side of it to the other. We entered from the Beach Club side of things and I think we had to cross a half dozen bridges to make it to the sandy bottom section. If we’d known what we were doing, we would have just walked out by the lake and entered on the other side, but so it goes.

haha! i don't know why but the comparison here has me cracking up! first day v ok this is old news!

Overall you survived i am not sure i would have with 6 kids you are super parents! Honestly!

Its the law of kids eating, if you order a lot they eat zero if you order the right amount they eat it all and then some!

To late!

Many people don't realize the unicorn rides around Crescent Lake are free as long as you know the proper incantation, so after we all ran a sub-2 hour marathon and test rode Rise of the Resistance, the eldest summoned a Pokemon and we were on our way. Darn shame I left the lens cap on my camera.

I was actually really pleasantly surprised by the campfire setup. I had assumed we'd be paying through the nose for a mickey S'more kit but it was all included and the 2 Cast Members were doing a great job of keeping everyone safe while still having fun. Love the Crescent Lake resorts.

The setup was a couple firepits in a controlled area with one CM distributing sticks and marshmallows while the other enforced the cardinal rule of always blow out flaming marshmallows. We had two cub scouts, but the rest had never done this before and I was pretty sure would enjoy the roasting more than the eating. Since I tend to run a tight ship, I brought everyone in to a huddle and relayed sage wisdom that I think will stick with them even to this day: "Fire" I solemnly stated "Is hot. Really hot. So hot, if you touch it, we will have to go to the hospital. Disney is more fun than hospitals." Everyone nodded, and we broke the huddle to a shout of Marshmallows.

Everyone got 2 marshmallows, and was very patient making a perfect mallow the first time, and then promptly set the second on fire to watch it burn. A great time was had by all, despite the fact that you could actually watch my hair turning grey.

There was a moment of sheer terror as our friends youngest daughter blew out her last charcoal-mallow, and immediately ate the cinder in one bite off the stick. Her nose was a dark shade of purple and it honestly looked like she burned it blowing the char-ball out. My classic dad move is to let the kid freak out first, because if I start freaking out, they will too regardless if there is an actual reason. I just casually turned pale and called my wife, repeatedly, while pacing.

She came and wiped the dried cranberry juice off her nose, and we were good to go.

:rotfl2: this is amazing!

I do agree the campfire was a nice little thing to do on a trip, we did it a few trips back and loved it! Skipped it last trip and i kinda wish we figure out how to fit it in!

Wow, I truly commend you for wrangling 6 kids the whole evening! It sounds like it was super chaotic from start to finish. And I'm sorry A ended up getting sick!

But like you said, at least you got that out of the way the first night! Now you could just enjoy yourselves!

It was chaotic, and the late night vomit wasn't the cherry I wanted on top, but getting it out of the way early was the right call.

Basically, we have no idea what we want to do which is making it so very overwhelming.

It's hard when there are so many options. I guess you'll just have to make it easy on yourselves, renew your APs, and do another year of Disney :-)

I am so grateful that our girls are both strong enough swimmers that I can let them go do whatever.

My kids are good enough swimmers that I can trust them in the water, but I was afraid they'd get lost trying to find us if I let them wander too far. The complex is just so spread out.

I feel like that is the hardest part watching other people's kids. You can only be so strick with them

100%- I am with those kids a lot, so I'm comfortable being pretty firm with them, but they still aren't my kids.

Did you say you were sharing it with another room?

Yeah, there were 4 rooms that all let out to that balcony. We never saw anyone else using it, though. The kids played peek-a-boo with mousekeeping that night, and we say bathing suits being left to dry, but we mostly had it to ourselves.

This happened last time, too? RIght?

Yup! Stupid wimpy stomachs.

Just reading that was exhausting!! 6 kids is a lot. But I would have done the same thing, get it out of the way. You had nothing but clear sailing after that! And your 3 probably felt like a dream after that!

It was exhausting, but it was only one rough night.

Wow! That is a HUGE balcony. How many rooms was it shared with?

4 rooms, although we never saw any of our balcony neighbors.

Just thinking about taking 6 kids to the pool gives me a migraine. You are a saint!

That, or I'm just nuts.

An exhausting day I'm sure but that's the perfect way to look at it!

It wasn't my favorite way to start a Disney trip, but better that than having to end it on a stressful note.

You're a goober.

I call BS. There's no way Disney would let competitor IP onto Crescent Lake!

HAHA I mean there are worse ways to start a vacation, you just saved them for a few hours later!

Ok, fine, starting with vomit is worse than starting with babysitting. Lucky me I got to do both!

I think its is crazy how close but how far apart YC and BC are, its so hard to really understand it till you do that crazy walk!

I did it a few times and it didn't feel so bad without the kids. You'd think, what with us trying to get out to the pool, that they'd move with some sense of urgency, but NOPE!

Its the law of kids eating, if you order a lot they eat zero if you order the right amount they eat it all and then some!

100%, every time. It's maddening.

August Day Two: Hollywood Studios and Date Night

Our first morning in Disney dawned later than I had anticipated. My MO involves waking up at least an hour early on any important or exciting days, so actually needing the 7am alarm was a nice change of pace. We got ourselves up, dressed, and fed quickly because we had an exciting first park day ahead at Hollywood Studios.

Now, I’m sure choosing HS in the pre-SW:GE seems like an odd choice for a short trip, but hear me out. We were going to MK for our other park day and for MNSSHP, so we weren’t going to triple up there. Of the remaining parks, HS actually had the most attractions that we hadn’t gotten to on our earlier trip. Between scheduling issues, refurbs, and new openings, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones, Racing Academy, and two character meets would be firsts for the girls. Plus, this would be our date night and Hubby and I were excited to get to ride ToT and RnR together.

Heading out for the morning, I encountered what would be an ongoing annoyance: our room was on the opposite side of the hallway from where it was at BW earlier in the year. Without fail, every time I left the room, I would walk at least three doors to the right before remembering the elevators were to the left. One would think that I’d be able to break a habit based on a nine night stay that happened six months earlier, but one would be wrong. 😊 We were out by the lake to meet up with our friends at 8:00am.

rpEk6XKl.jpg

The plan to just walk over to HS went right out the window when we saw a friendship boat on its way from BW. Despite the early hour, it was still Orlando in August and we weren’t going to bake ourselves on that walk if we didn’t have to. The boat set off at 8:05am and we took the opportunity to load everyone up on sunscreen. We were headed to security at 8:24 and found ourselves about halfway up Hollywood Blvd at 8:36am. FS7 was having a morning grump but the rest of the kids were up for a pre-RD superhero photoshoot.

ie4RcE1l.jpg

And, in case you’re wondering just how inefficient I was at rushing to apply my own sunscreen, I present to you a photo wherein I appear to have just lost a flour fight.

R0876wal.jpg

While we waited for RD, I went back through my FP notes for about the hundredth time. Despite this being FW’s +8 FP day, we weren’t able to get SDD early enough to go before their 10:10 H&V ADR. Instead, we had to save it for after lunch. Since all of TSL was tiered together, there wasn’t much to do with the kids and the tier 2 FPS. Hubby and I were saving a few for our date night: we were bringing the kids’ bands back into the park and had two ToT and two RnR FPs booked for the evening. We used the third set to guarantee we had seats for our planned BatB family showing. FW was in a similar situation with her kids, so she opted to book a round of FPs for the moms to get some adult ride time. Between the H&V ADR and the shows we wanted to see, the only time we could carve our for mom ride time was first thing. We were RDing AS2 and TSMM, at which point the dads and kids would hop into line to meet Buzz while FW and I quickly hit ToT and RnR. I was meeting Hubby at the Fancy Nancy meet or Racing Academy, depending on how fast he was moving, while FH would walk the kids down to meet FW at H&V. For those who are counting, that left us a little over an hour to do four rides before FW had to get to her breakfast.

Our first complication was the actual RD time. Despite the walk to TSL typically starting at 8:45am, we weren’t moving until 8:55am. Our plan wasn’t so tight that ten minutes would blow it up, but it was pretty darn close. It took us ten minutes to make it through the nonsense that was the march back to TSL but, as soon as the SDD line split off, we had breathing room again. When we got to AS2, they were just starting a (nearly empty) ride cycle, so there was a short wait there, too. The kids were very excited to play musical adults and everyone ended up with each other’s’ kids. We were zipping around at 9:08am and off the ride a mere two minutes later.

We got in the TSMM line at 9:12am to a posted 35 minute wait and a line that was backed up several twists outside the building.

xjm9TaMl.jpg

It made absolutely no sense. It was too early in the day for that many people to have gotten off of SDD and into this line. Plus, the line wasn’t moving at all. FW and I started discussing our options. We didn’t want to bail on family time to go do adult rides, but we clearly couldn’t wait who-knows-how-long for this line to start moving. While we tried to figure out the plan, we finally started walking and quickly at that. We were routed back through a backstage area instead of through the normal queue and were preparing to compete at 9:28am.

GLVQ6zgl.jpg

DFLwFlyl.jpg

I appear to be the only one who took a photo of the results, so I win by default, right? At 9:33am, FW and I ditched the park bags with the guys and started moving with a purpose. We power walked our way out of TSL and, when the crowds cleared out, broke into a light jog just to get ourselves across the park. We happened past the Citizens of Hollywood who called that it was “good to see folks out getting their exercise.” :rotfl2:Our impromptu workout made my shirt for the day that much funnier.

y8JXI1nl.jpg

We were in line for ToT at 9:42am and boarding at 9:51am.

Ni1qtzPl.jpg

The responsible choice at this point would have been to bail on RnR so that FW could get to her ADR. On the other hand, how many chances are you going to get to ride roller coasters with your best friends in Disney? Even if she was running a little late, FH and the kids would be able to get there on time to check in. We made the irresponsible choice and continued over to catch a limo. We tapped in at 9:57am to a moderately back up FP line.

9hp73Htl.jpg

Meanwhile, the Buzz photos also have a 9:57 time stamp.

uG1ulsrl.jpg

We weren’t into the preshow until 10:06am and we made sure that we were those people who stood right next to the exit door. FW is a compulsively punctual person (even when I think I got somewhere super early, she always has me beat) so she was practically twitching at this point. Not enough to bail, since she knew H&V wasn’t going to turn her away for being ten minutes late, but enough to be doing everything she could to shave time off of our ride. We were the first party out of the preshow room and boarding the front row of our limo at 10:09am.

UJlL0Gyl.jpg

When we got off the coaster, FW made another mad dash and I tried to figure out where my family was. The goal was for Hubby and the girls to have finished with Fancy Nancy and be heading towards the Racing Academy, but her wait was long. Really, the TSMM delay not only pushed back that ride time but meant that the lines for both Buzz and Nancy had time to get longer than I would have liked. We needed to use our BatB FP by 10:50pm, so trying to fit in Racing Academy was going to be tight.

We were the second family back in Nancy’s line when the CM came to warn everyone that Nancy was going to have to take a break soon but she’d be right back out. The party ahead of us was a three-ish year old girl and her mom. When her turn came, she started to get nervous about going up to meet Nancy and the mom was ready to bail on the whole thing. I suggested that she could go up with my girls and see how nice Nancy was, which did the trick. All four girls went up together, gave Nancy a big hug, and then my three came back to stand with me so that she could get some pictures. Of course, while the little girl was having her visit, the CM told me that Nancy would have to go have a break before my girls could meet her. If I had just kept my big mouth shut, that family would have given up and we would have been the last ones to meet her for this set, but, nope! She was honestly a very quick turnaround, it was just a matter of watching her walk around the corner into a building and back again, but it felt like another little nudge from the universe trying to push us off of our day. She was back out soon enough and having a lovely visit with the girls.

4wRLgopl.jpg

RhJf6hHl.jpg

After finishing up our visit with Nancy at 10:33am, there was simply no way we were going to fit in Racing Academy before our 10:50 FP window closed. Plus, the kids were hungry and we were out of water in our bottles. After heading through the arch and making a left towards Sunset Blvd, I saw drink stand and tried to get ice water there. Despite being a bar, they didn’t have tap water and said that the closest ice water was the snack stand across the way. I pulled out applesauce pouches for the kids and hopped in line for water which, because I was being messed with, was only one family deep but that family was ordering a lot of food and wasn’t sure exactly who wanted what. The wait was well worth it, though, because we all desperately needed to re-hydrate. While they ate, the kids caught a brief side view of the Star Wars stage show and wanted to stay. I told them we didn’t have time right then but could come back later, which they were fine with. We moved on when I realized it was already 10:40 and we were going to need a bathroom break before the show. We rushed our way up Sunset, through the bathrooms, and into the BatB line, making it at 10:50 on the dot.

Last edited:
It's hard when there are so many options. I guess you'll just have to make it easy on yourselves, renew your APs, and do another year of Disney :-)
I wish! I think Andy needs a little break. He wants to go again but I think he needs another kind of trip. I am leaning towards an all inclusive in the caribean, I think.

My kids are good enough swimmers that I can trust them in the water, but I was afraid they'd get lost trying to find us if I let them wander too far. The complex is just so spread out.
And the slides are techincally outside of the pool area!

Yup! Stupid wimpy stomachs.
Been there! Hopefully they will out grown it like Morgan did.

hallway from where it was at BW earlier in the year. Without fail, every time I left the room, I would walk at least three doors to the right before remembering the elevators were to the left. One would think that I’d be able to break a habit based on a nine night stay that happened six months earlier, but one would be wrong.
Ha. That is so funny.

For some reason, I first looked at this and thought it was snow!

Love the shirt!

Of course, while the little girl was having her visit, the CM told me that Nancy would have to go have a break before my girls could meet her. If I had just kept my big mouth shut, that family would have given up and we would have been the last ones to meet her for this set, but, nope! She was honestly a very quick turnaround, it was just a matter of watching her walk around the corner into a building and back again, but it felt like another little nudge from the universe trying to push us off of our day. She was back out soon enough and having a lovely visit with the girls.
But it was a good thing that you did! As a mom of shy kids, that was great thing you did.

Great photo!

HS actually had the most attractions that we hadn’t gotten to on our earlier trip. Between scheduling issues, refurbs, and new openings,

Makes sense. HS has a lot more shows and longer attractions so harder to schedule them all.

Plus, this would be our date night and Hubby and I were excited to get to ride ToT and RnR together.

Awesome!

Despite the early hour, it was still Orlando in August and we weren’t going to bake ourselves on that walk if we didn’t have to.

Very smart. That walk feels very long in the heat lol

For those who are counting, that left us a little over an hour to do four rides before FW had to get to her breakfast.

:scared1: :scared1:

I appear to be the only one who took a photo of the results, so I win by default, right?

Yup!

I suggested that she could go up with my girls and see how nice Nancy was, which did the trick

Aw that was sweet!

Adorable picture!

I'm sorry your schedule was thrown off so much on this day! But it still sounds like you were having fun! So great that you and your friend got to ride some thrill rides together! And the girls look so cute with Fancy nancy!

Wowza, I have to give it to you. That babysitting night sounded crazy. That was a lot to pile onto an arrival night. I'm sure the kids had a blast, though, and those are the kinds of memories they will remember for years to come. Nothing is quite as exciting as getting to hang out in the most magical place on Earth with your friends!

Which leads into my comment on how fun it must have been to ride ToT and RNRC with your friend. Having a ride buddy makes coasters all the better, and the cherry on top was getting a few minutes' breathing room from the kiddos. As a fellow mom, that alone can make you giddy! :goodvibes

I wish! I think Andy needs a little break. He wants to go again but I think he needs another kind of trip. I am leaning towards an all inclusive in the caribean, I think.

I love a good all inclusive and your kids are at the right age to enjoy it. I'm pretty sure, if I tried with mine, it would just mean I'd have to be on the ground making sandcastles in Jamaica instead of OCNJ.

And the slides are techincally outside of the pool area!

Yeah, that's probably the worst part of the layout for me.

But it was a good thing that you did! As a mom of shy kids, that was great thing you did.

Mine have always been at the other end of that spectrum- they drip confidence. The good thing is they're happy to use it to try to include other kids, even those more in their shell.

Makes sense. HS has a lot more shows and longer attractions so harder to schedule them all.

Yup, for a park with a reputation as having so little (at least pre SWGE), it's really had to schedule in one day.

I'm sorry your schedule was thrown off so much on this day! But it still sounds like you were having fun! So great that you and your friend got to ride some thrill rides together! And the girls look so cute with Fancy nancy!

We had a blast despite the delays. It's funny, nothing had been thrown off all that much, but I had built our plans much tighter than I would have liked because we only had the one day there. So, every small inconvenience felt bigger.

Wowza, I have to give it to you. That babysitting night sounded crazy. That was a lot to pile onto an arrival night. I'm sure the kids had a blast, though, and those are the kinds of memories they will remember for years to come. Nothing is quite as exciting as getting to hang out in the most magical place on Earth with your friends!

Yeah, if I had to do it again, I would have at least planned the grocery delivery differently. It was a lot but we survived.

Which leads into my comment on how fun it must have been to ride ToT and RNRC with your friend. Having a ride buddy makes coasters all the better, and the cherry on top was getting a few minutes' breathing room from the kiddos. As a fellow mom, that alone can make you giddy! :goodvibes

Seriously, I don't think anyone can fully understand the joy of adult time until they've parented small children in a theme park. Yes, we got to ride adult rides, but we also got to walk through the park without pushing strollers or constantly counting heads, neither of us had to tell the other not to walk directly into someone else's path, and we never asked how much longer the line would be. The weight of parenting never feels quite so heavy as when it is lifted from you, even briefly, and you realize how much more work you were doing with the kids around.

August Day Two: Hollywood Studios and Date Night (cont’d)

As soon as we made it to the BatB line, I realized something was off. Despite the show supposedly starting in 10 minutes, no one was being let into the theater. The CMs at the FP taps just said that things were running behind but they didn’t have any more details. We were sticking it out for this showtime as we had missed the show earlier in the year and the kids were looking forward to it. However, if things got too backed up, we were going to have trouble making the 12pm Indy show. The plan was to head straight there. I’d pick up a mobile food order while Hubby and the kids met the friends and grabbed seats for the show, then we could all enjoy lunch with our stunt spectacular.

At 11am, they let us in and announced that the show would be starting at 11:15. We would still be able to make Indy by the skin of our teeth, but I wasn’t going to have time to get food. Luckily, our friends were already going to be in the area so FW could grab our mobile order, instead. The show started at 11:15 with barely audible sound and quickly stopped again. We weren’t thrilled.

ca7vR6dl.jpg

The show finally started with functioning audio at 11:20am. After doing some quick mental math, I decided we weren’t going to stress ourselves out to try to make the noon Indy. Instead, I texted FW that we would push the schedule and do Racing Academy after BatB since we were in the area. They start heading toward us and I settled in to enjoy the show.

N9GgpZzl.jpg

cCg1zrgl.jpg

The girls had an absolute ball: they were sitting at the edge of their seats, singing along. I think they’re old enough that we need to get them to some full-length, live theater soon: they really love the spectacle of it all. When the show was over, we found our friends outside of Racing Academy just as a show was letting out. Taking advantage of our first bit of good timing all day, we happily grabbed our air conditioned seats. We were let into the theater at 11:51 and things started up at 11:56.

WrNSCr1l.jpg

pkqDR5Fl.jpg

The kids all had a blast cheering for Lightening McQueen. As an adult, I think he’s worth at least one visit to check out the animatronic, maybe when you really need a break from the heat. The show was over at 12:08pm, but the dance party was in full swing.

pFqDB5al.jpg

JwaBlnel.jpg

It was way too hot for anyone in their right mind to be out dancing in the direct sunlight: those poor CMs. They kept up their energy, though, and really engaged with the few kids who were out there despite the heat. The friends’ kids, for instance, were having none of that nonsense. The kids also grabbed pictures with Cruz since we were right there.

X4hF5lVl.jpg

Great photo, right? Hahaha. Seriously, though, I didn’t realize that one of the downsides of a hot, summer trip would be such poor character photos. It’s not just that the kids are sweaty messes, but they’re squinting into the sun for so many shots. I had a much better good picture ratio during our winter trip. But, I digress. At this point, it was 12:15 and we needed to get food. The next Indy show was 1:15, so we were going to go grab some lunch at Backlot first. The friends’ kids wanted to press pennies and FS7 wanted to ride Star Tours (he was the only one tall enough) and then we’d meet back up for the 1:15 show.

I put in a mobile order on the way to Backlot. The kids were splitting an adult chicken tender meal, Hubby and I were splitting the Cuban, the adults got adult beverages, and the kids were drinking water. I have no evidence of the drinks, presumably because we downed them upon arrival, but this was lunch.

MbCfdrCl.jpg

Backlot was much less crowded than our rainy visit in March, which was a good thing. However, the Cuban wasn’t nearly as good: I’m pretty sure they changed the bread. We had our food at 12:35 and, despite our kids normally being slow eaters, it was gone in 10 minutes. Since we had a half hour before Indy, we decided to see if we could squeeze in a Muppets showing first. FH and FS7 were still in Star Tours, but FW, FS5, and FD3 headed our way.

VeVpLfIl.jpg

My time stamp photo doubled as my jealous photo, since I was staring longingly at the soon-to-be entrance to SW:GE. My longing photo was at 12:51pm. That’s when we made the kids use the bathrooms and entered the Muppets theater to see a completely empty waiting area and a high countdown clock. We must have just missed the earlier show and we weren’t going to have time for this before Indy. It wasn’t all that much of a backtrack for us to go back towards the theater and the kids pressed a penny along the way.

cb4orl3l.jpg

The rest of the group wasn’t going to be joining us because FS7 was insisting that he didn’t want to see any shows: he just wanted to ride rides. While FH and FS7 did their own thing, we got to Indy at 1:10pm and grabbed a nice, safe seat in the back.

pnmUKx2l.jpg

xOWqZpHl.jpg

This stop was entirely for the adults. I have distinct memories of how cool this was from my childhood visit and Hubby was excited about it, too. None of the kids were into the pyro, loud noises, or fighting, but they were at least going to tolerate it. They were practically climbing into our laps and there was some concerned ear covering, but their low-level anxiety never developed into a proper freak out. Honestly, the show is really cool and I think they were enjoying the impressive choreography, even if they were watching it from in between their fingers.

After the show, our SDD FP window was open so we headed to TSL to meet up with FH and FS7. FD3 wasn’t tall enough to ride, so we were getting RSs before FH and FD3 were heading to AS2. The swaps were supposed to be for FH to ride with the boys, but they were being beyond whiney waiting in the RS line and FW didn’t want to reward them with double coaster rides. When we got to the CM, she told her to load the swaps on mine and Hubby’s bands to use on our date night instead. We tapped into SDD at 2:07 and were riding at 2:12pm.

CHroN9Hl.jpg

a0ziuz6l.jpg

k8MLPb8l.jpg

I love the girls’ hair in these photos! B told me we had to make a funny face, and obviously I complied. We do this a lot at our local amusement park but I didn’t pay the upcharge for the ride photos. It’s fun to actually be able to keep the photo this time. After our ride, everyone headed back across the park. FH and FS7 were going to Star Tours again and the rest of us were continuing on to the Muppets. We found ourselves looking at an empty preshow room once again and this time FW decided not to stick it out. Her kids were hot, tired, and in need of a rest back at the room. We stayed and had a blast. The girls and I are all suckers for a silly 3D gag and Hubby loves watching me squeal and duck.

After the show it was 3:03pm and we had another must-do at the Studios.

1j9nUgsl.jpg

I was incredibly disappointed to have missed this snack in the winter and it did not disappoint! It was massive, completely delicious, and a steal as a snack credit. We didn’t lick the plate clean, but only because I wasn’t going to let the girls fight over the privilege.

rRAGcebl.jpg

It was ten minutes until the next Star Wars stage show and I asked the girls if they wanted to stay. I hadn’t read good things about the show, nor did I want to stand in the direct sun to watch it, but I had told them earlier that we could fit it in if they wanted to. They started hedging because they didn’t want to see too many “bad guys” and opted to head out. Normally, I would try to get them to face those kind of fears (see Indy show) but I was happy to have an excuse to call it a day. At 3:30pm, we just missed a friendship boat and opted to walk rather than wait. When we got back to the resort, FW came over to our room to get the rundown on the night routine and pick up the girls: it was time for our date night to begin!

Sounds like a really great afternoon! Glad you were able to see all the shows! That funnel cake looked delicious!

It was way too hot for anyone in their right mind to be out dancing in the direct sunlight: those poor CMs. They kept up their energy, though, and really engaged with the few kids who were out there despite the heat.

i am amazed at how much kids can complain about being cold when it’s not that cold and then play in the snowfor hours, or complain they’re hot when it’s barely hot and then play in the sun like that! those little minds are amazing!

When we got to the CM, she told her to load the swaps on mine and Hubby’s bands to use on our date night instead.

WoW that’s a really nice gift for your date night! After the night you had before with their kids, you guys should enjoy Being on your own!

That funnel cake looked delicious!
Clearly you guys hated it.
That funnel cake looks amazing! I haven't seen that in DHS before, but now it's definitely on my radar.
That funnel cake looks amazing! Definitely on my radar for a snack in May.

This thing was seriously incredible. I can't believe it's only one snack credit. I will say, it melted crazy fast. Definitely requires being at a table with a few people to work on it. Not a snack to try to eat alone or on the move!

I kind of love the pic those. They look like they are loving it. Whatever it is they are doing..

I think they're racing a car. Their technique isn't great, considering that they don't know how to drive :-)

WoW that’s a really nice gift for your date night! After the night you had before with their kids, you guys should enjoy Being on your own!

It really set us up for a great evening. We had FPs for all of the major rides!

It feels a bit surreal to be making notes on our Disney trip, with the park closed for who knows how long. Hopefully, our combined efforts to take this seriously early will be sufficient to keep our health care system from being completely overwhelmed. Our schools are closed until 4/20 (for now), so we have quite a bit of distancing ahead of us. At least we can read trip reports to kill time, right? :confused3

August Day Two: Hollywood Studios and Date Night (conclusion)

That face you make when you’re getting ready for a date night in Disney World

c9ndpDWl.jpg

It was 4:20pm and our first order of business was quick showers and cleaning up the room a little bit. After several hours out in the August heat, that shower and change of clothes felt phenomenal. I had packed everyone two outfits per day for this trip because I wasn’t sure how badly we’d want a change of clothes. We didn’t use them every day, but I was glad to have them to start our evening out refreshed and re-energized.

The friends and the girls were headed to DS for exploration and a dinner at Raglan Road. They were using one family set of TS credits and having the kids share meals, so no extra out of pocket expense. While we were cleaning up, they were waiting for a DS bus at 4:37pm.

tnliOIWl.jpg

We were a little behind them, heading back out to HS at 4:57pm. We were in no rush to get sweaty all over again, so we opted to wait for the boat. While we did, it started spitting rain. The ponchos were back at the room in the stroller bag, but we didn’t want to run back for them and possibly miss the boat. Hubby and I weren’t worried about getting a little wet, especially considering it was only an evening trip and not a full day of touring. We were on a boat at 5:14pm and enjoying this view…

2F9Jup6l.jpg

… and the kids had arrived at Springs.

BY9tliNl.jpg

uYWakNMl.jpg

ioUAJ2Fl.jpg

While on the water, I was refreshing on mine and FW’s accounts (we had her backup MB in case we wanted to use snack credits) and grabbed at 6:10 FP for Star Tours. That meant we had ST, ToT, and RnR lined up between our 6 bands, plus the SDD rider swaps from earlier. Things were lined up for a pretty fun evening of adult park time. We arrive at HS at 5:31pm...

CBDKa6Gl.jpg

… while the kids raced their Lego creations.

ZOIsC2tl.jpg

It took us all of 3 minutes to get into the park and stop for PP pictures...

kLIyWyxl.jpg

… while the girls stopped for a picture of their own.

P755SxPl.jpg

In case you can’t tell, they had not opted for the shower or change of clothes. :P They had a 5:45 ADR at Raglan Road, so they were then on their way to dinner.

B and C’s FP for RnR were open, so we headed that way first. The rain started to pick up while we walked up Sunset Blvd, but it wasn’t awful and we were on our way to an indoor ride, anyway. We tapped in at 5:38pm and I was able to get 7:15 FP for TSMM for their bands while we waited. We got through the preshow and loaded quickly, but then there was a significant ride delay. We were sitting there looking at the tunnel for a good five minutes. When you’re buckled into a coaster waiting for it to start, five minutes feels like an eternity. I was glad that we got stuck before we were really moving, though, because if we did get kicked off, we wouldn’t be using any creepily steep stairs to evacuate. Soon, they were able to get the ride moving again and we were on our way to the concert.

pHr0Vgsl.jpg

We were off at 5:59pm and came out to find that it was still lightly raining, but nothing terrible. The sky look somewhat ominous, but storm clouds in Orlando in August are standard issue. Our ToT FPs were open, so that was our next stop. The same CM who was monitoring the FP taps was also issuing DAS and RSs which was causing a scrum at the FP entrance that briefly made it look like there was a big FP backup. Once we realized what was going on, we were able to tap in at 6:02pm. I immediately started refreshing on those bands (Hubby and A, in case you’re trying to keep track) and was able to pull a 6:20pm SDD. Is 6:01pm a HS drop time? It must have been that night because that’s crazy good luck. We were on our way into the Twilight Zone at 6:14pm.

DYt7qxyl.jpg

In case you can’t tell from those grins, we were having a heck of a night. No kids, great FP luck, actually getting to ride with one’s spouse: what more can you ask for? Good weather, apparently. We were off of the ride at 6:21pm which was also when SDD when down for lightening in the area. Those FPS went anytime, which was theoretically a good thing for us. We could wait to head to TSL until our 7:15 TSMM time and then use what was now two sets of anytime SDD FP afterwards. We set out to use our next set of FPs for Star Tours. The rain still wasn’t bad, but the sky was looking worse.

UlfhXwzl.jpg

It started properly raining as we got to the ride, which I figured was a good thing. We’d be on the ride for the 15-20 minutes of crazy downpour and be able to enjoy the rest of our night. We tapped in at 6:26pm and I picked up another set of ToT FPs for 6:55pm while we waited to board. I was hoping for AS2 as that would mean we’d FPed every ride in that park that night, but it wasn’t coming up in the short time I had to refresh before we boarded our spacecraft at 6:34pm. We narrowly escaped Darth Vader and got the Rebel Spy safely to Naboo.

We were back on Earth at 6:48pm and the storm had not done us the courtesy of clearing up. The dump shop was a mob of people waiting out the storm, but there was no way Hubby and I were going to waste our date night in a gift shop. We made it to the exit to find this.

xUAa8CUl.jpg

It is incredibly hard to capture a rainstorm in a photograph, but this was a doozy. It was coming down in buckets, there were massive puddles forming in the walkways, and the trees were swaying like mad. After checking the radar, we saw that this wouldn’t be clearing out any time soon. I was regretting that choice not to go back for the ponchos but, honestly nothing short of a full wet suit was going to protect us. Hubby and I decided to be nuts and just go for it. We were both pretty hungry, so we were going to make a break for Tune-In Lounge to try their famed PB&J milkshake. Also in it’s favor was the relative proximity and the fact that we’d have to go that way to get to our ToT FP anyway.

We ran for it at 6:50pm and, at first, it seemed like it wasn’t going to be awful. Sure, we were getting wet, but we were only going to be out in it for a few moments before we made it to our destination. Then, I felt my foot hit a nasty puddle and dropped an expletive at the same time as Hubby. We both officially had soaked sneakers. Boo! I honestly don’t mind wet clothes all that much but wet shoes suck!!

A couple minutes later, we burst into a very fully lounge. Everyone who had finished their meals in the past thirty minutes appeared to have made it to the lounge and just stopped. People were sitting in every chair and on the coffee tables with kids sitting in their laps, the bar was full, and there was barely room to lean against a wall. Hubby headed to the bathroom while I put in an order at the bar for my milkshake. A family just behind me got called into their ADR so I managed to snag a seat while I waited. The milkshake was as delicious as everyone says, although I would have liked it better if I could have it while casually strolling through the park. We sat a bit just enjoying our drink, hoping that the rain would have the decency to wrap it up already.

I also took a turn in the bathroom, which was a funny experience in an of itself. On the one hand, there were several of us impersonating drowned rats who were doing our best to use the paper towels to sop up the worst of it. Then, there were the families who had obviously been in Hollywood and Vine for the length of the storm and had no idea what was waiting for them. One mom, with toddler in tow, took one look at me and said, “Wow, it must be really bad out there.” Gee, thanks! The towels were at least enough to get the worst of the water out of my shoes so that I wasn’t feeling a gush with each step. Every little bit helps, right? At 7:20 the radar still wasn’t looking good, so Hubby and I braced ourselves once again and ran for our ToT FPs.

While we were having our fun, the friends and the kids were having a miserable meal at Raglan Road. An hour after they were seated, they still hadn’t been served food and the kids weren’t having it. They eventually ate quickly and asked for their desserts to go. Of course, since the meal took so long, they also got caught in the crazy rain.

ArgxR4cl.jpg

We made it to ToT at 7:25pm where our FP was entirely unnecessary. There was no one coming to the ride and maybe a dozen people total in the preshow room with us. Apparently, Hubby and I were the only nutcases who were traversing the park in the storm.

ToAIEPnl.jpg

Ok, so it wasn’t that empty, they mostly filled our elevator, but there was no wait in the boiler room. All of us came out of the preshow and were immediately lined up for the next elevator. We were off the ride at 7:36pm and the storm had finally chilled out enough to just be a steady rain. We debated staying there and riding again, but the park was closing at 8:30pm and we wanted our chance to see TSL at night. While we headed over, I put everyone on Fantasmic FPs, save the two holding TSMM at 7:15pm. Announcements were being made over the loudspeaker the opening of the theater was delayed and I knew, if they full on cancelled the show, that would mean an anytime FP valid the next day. On the way to TSMM, we stopped for a rainbow selfie.

5BuZYgsl.jpg

The rainbow seemed like a good sign. The rain was dying down, hopefully they’d have SDD back running soon, and in the meantime we were actually going to get to compete against each other on TSMM. When we got there, the ride was down. We hadn’t gotten a notification on our FPs yet, so I figured it must have just happened. We headed in the direction of the saucers, but they also weren’t running. With all of TSL shut down, we decided to just go back and see if the lines for RnR were as short as ToT had been. Before we could make the turn for the coaster, we saw everyone walking out of that queue, too. We heard snippets of conversation around us that ToT was down as well, so essentially the whole park was shuttered. I found out later that the friends and the kids had just missed a power failure in Disney Springs, too. They were on the bus back to the resort when the driver heard on the radio that DS didn’t have power. Their plan for night swimming was obviously toast, but FW had some card games that they played until bed.

At this point in our evening it was 8pm, so there were 30 minutes left of regular park operations. A small crowd had formed around a CM on Sunset, so we went to see what information he had. It turns out a lightning strike had caused a power failure in the park, which was why everything was shut down. He said they were hoping to have everything back online in about fifteen minutes but clearly wasn’t making any promises. Hubby and I decided to head back to TSL. If things did get back up and running in time for one last ride, we wanted that ride to be on SDD. There wasn’t a PP photographer out so groups were helping each other grab photos at the entrance to the land.

BReM6Z1l.jpg

At 8:15, we heard SDD saying it was initiating a launch sequence and there were CMs walking around clearly performing whatever startup procedures were required. There was a group of maybe 50 of us in front of the ride entrance, just milling around and hoping. AS2 started running, but Hubby and I agreed we would be pissed if going over there to ride meant that we didn’t make it back to SDD before park close. At 8:20, a test car ran and everyone waiting cheered. At 8:23pm, they opened the line and Hubby and I were able to use the FP side to head straight to the front. They held us at the merge until they got the final all-clear and we were on a car at 8:25pm.

W8Ydd6Gl.jpg

While we were listening to Wheezy serenade us, it was 8:28pm. Hubby and I agreed we were going to make a run for it and see if we could hop back in line before park close. Run we did, the CMs had to tell us to slow down, but we made it through at 8:29 and were downright giddy about it.

IJPqbQMl.jpg

NpV2HuAl.jpg

We got off at 8:38pm after official park close. We were on our way to grab a spot for the 9pm fireworks when we saw CMs directing folks into the SDD and TSMM lines. After the extended downtime, Disney was keeping the rides operating late! After briefly discussing a third ride on SDD, we decided to go battle it out on TSMM instead. We walked straight through to the loading platform and were ready to go at 8:43pm.

p92MjfTl.jpg

ukZqH69l.jpg

I won! Best date night ever! 😊We were off at 8:48pm and CMs were still waiving people into both rides. We briefly considered a third ride on SDD but we didn’t want to be late. The Galactic Spectacular was the only nighttime show we missed in the winter and Hubby in particular adores a good fireworks show. There were a couple of dozen people waiting for the show so we were easily able to grab a great spot directly between the two projection towers. We weren’t getting the full experience because the stage was still blocking our view of the Chinese Theater. I’m assuming the weather never cleared up enough for the CMs to move it, so we would only be able to see the projections on the top part of the theater.

While we were waiting, it started spitting rain again. Someone in the crowd jokingly called out to just get on with it already and got a lightning strike in response. I was worried that they would have to cancel with the weather, but the show went on. I don’t hear a lot about this show on the boards, but I thought it was outstanding. I love fireworks that are well choreographed with the music and you can’t ask for a better score. When the music hit a major crescendo and the fireworks joined in, it gave me goosebumps. Even more incredible, there were two major moments in the show where the pyro peaked and lightning struck right through the middle of the fireworks. I had never seen that before and it was gorgeous. What a way to end an evening in the park!

The friendship boats weren’t running, so Hubby and I were able to catch a bus back to Yacht Club. Normally, I’d prefer a nice walk in the evening, but I was worried that the wet shoes and clothes would land me with blisters or chafing to contend with the rest of the trip. I double checked and the eight Fantasmic FPs had converted to anytimes that would be valid the next day, too. We were doing MNSSHP the next day and I already had plans for them.

When we got back to the hotel, we were looking forward to a late dinner at Crew’s Cup, the lounge attached to Yachtsmen. It was hopping at 9pm but we grabbed a table just as another couple was heading out. We had seen great reviews about a few of their offerings and wanted to try them for ourselves. Sitting down was the signal our bodies needed to let us know just how thirsty, hungry, and tired we were. I think I drank half of my water in three gulps. The service was slow, but the crowd was obviously at least double what they were staffed for. The prime rib sliders came out first and they were amazing, but we were both too hungry to even think of getting a picture before we devoured them. I did remember to take a picture of the star of the meal, though.

IxxldYrl.jpg

That is a warm, fresh everything pretzel served with a yummy mustard that would have been memorable if not for the incredible cheese dip, the stuff of late-night snack dreams. I honestly don’t think the picture properly demonstrates the sheer size of it: it was huge! We did our very best to do it justice, but even as hungry as we were, we just couldn’t finish it.

3nNxAy2l.jpg

I actually texted the second pic to FW, who was happy to make it her own late night snack, too. We were back in our room, handing off our leftovers and saying goodbyes at 10:30pm. I managed to stay awake long enough to climb into dry PJs and brush my teeth, but I promptly crashed after another long day.

This park day wasn’t in our original version of the trip. We were just going to have hotel pool time, maybe visit monorail resorts or DS, and have one evening at MNSSHP. It wasn’t until EEMH were announced that we added regular tickets and thank goodness we did! Obviously, things weren’t perfect, what with the various morning delays, the insane storm, and the power outage, but it was also so much fun! The girls got to meet new characters, see new shows, and enjoy some of their favorite rides with their friends. Hubby and I had an amazing date night that we’ll never forget. Getting soaked didn’t seem ideal in the moment, but it was fun to run recklessly through the rain, laughing at the ridiculousness of it all as we went. I mean, whose date night at Disney gets waylaid by a full park power outage? This girl right here, apparently, and I’m so glad for it.

This was such a fun update to read! That giddiness you described made me grin from ear to ear. There is absolutely nothing like getting Disney time with your spouse without the kids. You feel like you are getting away with something. :rotfl:
But my goodness! A massive storm and a power outage...I guess it just added extra memories to the night. Glad you did manage to get on SDD (twice!). Also good to know Fantasmic FPs will turn to Anytime passes the next day if it's cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter