• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We are there

Ok more context.

We used to go down one or two times a year. Now we haven’t been since ‘15 and I don’t see us going back soon because although I still love Disney, I feel it’s lost it’s value.

Disney has always been a bit on the expensive side. I also am not faulting Disney for making money, I get that too.

I feel though it’s lost value for two main reasons.

1) I was always willing to pay extra because their service was stellar, which is largely gone now for all but the deluxe hotels.

2) It used to fell egalitarian to me. Once I was through the gate, everyone was largely treated the same, had the same experience and everything was largely included. I didn’t worry about money anymore once I was in, Anne that felt freeing and relaxing. Now, they have gone to nickel and diming you to death, and the parking at resorts when you are already paying an huge premium to stay is really over the top for me.

So I’m not leading a charge, or even angry or upset at Disney. I just have found the place where it isn’t a value. Considering the conversational reference over the years on the podcast, I guess I posted out of curiosity to see if I was alone.

Scotte

I had posted this in the thread about the paid parking, but think it applies here too - you need to feel you are getting a return on your investment and as the cost of that investment goes up, the return needs to go up as well (or at least stay in line) otherwise it doesn't make sense

So the "Disney 'feels' vs Cost" scale ... as the costs go up (moving the to right on the X-Axis) the Disney "feels" need to be there or you fall below the "I'm gonna check out Universal" Diagonal

cost-vs-disney-feels-jpg.309106

Ok more context.

We used to go down one or two times a year. Now we haven’t been since ‘15 and I don’t see us going back soon because although I still love Disney, I feel it’s lost it’s value.

Disney has always been a bit on the expensive side. I also am not faulting Disney for making money, I get that too.

1) I was always willing to pay extra because their service was stellar, which is largely gone now for all but the deluxe hotels.

2) It used to fell egalitarian to me. Once I was through the gate, everyone was largely treated the same, had the same experience and everything was largely included. I didn’t worry about money anymore once I was in, Anne that felt freeing and relaxing. Now, they have gone to nickel and diming you to death, and the parking at resorts when you are already paying an huge premium to stay is really over the top for me.

So I’m not leading a charge, or even angry or upset at Disney. I just have found the place where it isn’t a value. Considering the conversational reference over the years on the podcast, I guess I posted out of curiosity to see if I was alone.

Scotte

I don't mean to be "that guy", but you still haven't mentioned any actual reasons for your statements, outside of parking fees. How is WDW "nickel and diming" you? Why do you think the the service has gotten worse?

The parking fee is ridiculous because it's for nothing and I am usually ALL for offering additional experiences at a cost. Here's a DL fan's perspective.
In Anaheim (where land is at an absolute premium) there are good neighbor hotels STEPS from Disneyland park that still have free parking. The Candy Cane inn in May for example, $172 a night WITH taxes included, free parking, free breakfast, clean room and it's LITERALLY has Disney's Cars Land right behind it. Several other options for free parking exist within that first block let alone a ONE mile radius.
So you are telling me Disney owns 43 SQUARE miles in FL and needs to charge $19 a night for a parking lot MILES from the nearest theme park?!!?
Disney seriously you are embarrassing yourself. I hope the WDW fans push back because looking at it from the perspective of a DL fan and the geography comparison it's absurd.

Last edited:
The parking fee is ridiculous because it's for nothing and I am usually ALL for offering additional experiences at a cost. Here's a DL fan's perspective.
In Anaheim (where land is at an absolute premium) there are good neighbor hotels STEPS from Disneyland park that still have free parking. The Candy Cane inn in May for example, $172 a night WITH taxes included, free parking, free breakfast, clean room and it's LITERALLY has Disney's Cars Land right behind it! Several other options for free parking exist within that first block let alone a ONE mile radius!
So you are telling me Disney owns 43 SQUARE miles in FL and needs to charge $19 a night for a parking lot MILES from the nearest theme park?!!?
Disney seriously you are embarrassing yourself. I hope the WDW fans push back because looking at it from the perspective of a DL fan and the geography comparison it's absurd.

No, they don't need to ... the can

And using some rough calculations this should easily bring in $50m more in revue - which is pure profit. And that represents about a 4% increase to the total profits for all of Parks and Resorts ... so yeah, if they can, they will

Okay I have to ask was the pun intended?
Is it the Universal Diagonal or the Universal Diagon Alley we fall under on your helpful chart?

well, it was a bit of a play on words - but the idea is the diagonal that is on the chart and once you get below that (either do to the costs getting to high or the Disney Feels lowering) the return on your investment no longer is there for you to travel to WDW

Ok more context.

Scotte

I noticed on your 2014 visit you used Dreams Villias. I suspect you got more for your money staying there. The challenge is getting to and from the parks. I don't know what an Uber costs, but I am guessing it could possibly be less than renting a car and paying for parking?

Everyone has their breaking point. If we didn't own DVC this might actually be it. We have two trips already booked (May and December) and 3 planned for 2019 and if we hadn't already bought AP's for the December and 2019 trips we would be reconsidering those as well. Even though these fees don't apply to us, I really am outraged by it and sent an email to guest services and to all the execs. Got a call back but it was only from DVC exec offices who i know can't help.

I think it's utter nonsense that paying guests will have to pay for parking but day visitors get in for free. Total bull.

yes, everyone has their breaking point....until now, i was sure they wouldn't reach mine...

but disney has succeeded....the parking fee was just a step too far..

we also come from far away, visiting WDW for an extended stay on a disney UK package..

this past August, we would have had to pay an additional $576 dollars to park our rental car at SSR during the 24 days we were there.
that would have been on top of the more than $13,000 we'd already paid to stay there.

maybe $576 doesn't sound like much....but it's the last straw....

i'm so disappointed in disney that i am contemplating cancelling our DCL cruise next summer as well....

and it will affect my attitude across the board..

yes, everyone has their breaking point....until now, i was sure they wouldn't reach mine...

but disney has succeeded....the parking fee was just a step too far..

we also come from far away, visiting WDW for an extended stay on a disney UK package..

this past August, we would have had to pay an additional $576 dollars to park our rental car at SSR during the 24 days we were there.
that would have been on top of the more than $13,000 we'd already paid to stay there.

maybe $576 doesn't sound like much....but it's the last straw....

i'm so disappointed in disney that i am contemplating cancelling our DCL cruise next summer as well....

and it will affect my attitude across the board..

wish there was a "sad" option instead of just the "like" for your post - and I totally get it. I think for people in a lot of situations (like yours where it isn't about having the car so you can go over to Universal or whatever, it is just to get to WDW) they should figure something out

I could see Disney including free parking as a "perk" to some / all packages so maybe that would happen with the UK packages - but still, it is the principle of it as much as the actual $s

Based on talking to a lot of other mega-WDW fans I know, this fee for parking absolutely appears to be a serious breaking point. I have only ever stayed on property and not rented a car and it makes my blood boil!!

Disney overcharges, and I think for the most part us Disney fans are happy to roll our eyes and accept it. However, when the quality steadily goes down over the years, and the cost keeps going noticeably up, eventually people are going to snap.

I did try and convince my family (not very hard) to try some other things for our August vacation, and did get a day at Gatorland in!

But for 2019 I'm thinking it might be time to give Royal Caribbean or Universal a chance. For me, I am not quite at a breaking point, but probably two or three more additional fees, added costs, and/or signs of declining quality and I will be at that point.

This is the one getting to me the most. It is getting so you can't enjoy MK during the holidays.

I agree totally!!!
And with these early closings, they let the partiers into the park 2 to 3 hours early! That does nothing for the regular paying guests experience, except make it unbearably crowded with long wait times.
I could get with the program IF they only let the extra ticketed event people in at the allotted time, IE: 7pm to 11pm, not early entry at 4pm.
I've been there and it is not pleasant. You can't even walk in the crowds, let alone try to ride attractions.

I agree totally!!!
And with these early closings, they let the partiers into the park 2 to 3 hours early! That does nothing for the regular paying guests experience, except make it unbearably crowded with long wait times.
I could get with the program IF they only let the extra ticketed event people in at the allotted time, IE: 7pm to 11pm, not early entry at 4pm.
I've been there and it is not pleasant. You can't even walk in the crowds, let alone try to ride attractions.

and they are starting them earlier and earlier - I think the first Halloween Party this year is like August 17th or something

I do think having those extra hours is key to justifying the cost of the party tickets, but do get what you are saying. But no way I could pay $100 or whatever they are if I couldn't get in a bit early

Based on talking to a lot of other mega-WDW fans I know, this fee for parking absolutely appears to be a serious breaking point. I have only ever stayed on property and not rented a car and it makes my blood boil!!

Disney overcharges, and I think for the most part us Disney fans are happy to roll our eyes and accept it. However, when the quality steadily goes down over the years, and the cost keeps going noticeably up, eventually people are going to snap.

I did try and convince my family (not very hard) to try some other things for our August vacation, and did get a day at Gatorland in!

But for 2019 I'm thinking it might be time to give Royal Caribbean or Universal a chance. For me, I am not quite at a breaking point, but probably two or three more additional fees, added costs, and/or signs of declining quality and I will be at that point.

I totally get it.

But what I think WDW is trying to do here, aside from making some extra cash (I'm not ignoring that), is prod people in to using the WDW transportation more and cars less.

And I'll bet they will be at least somewhat successful. I can tell you that when I visit WDW I fly in, take Magical Express to the resort, use the WDW transportation while there, and use Magical Express to get back to the airport. In fact, one of the things I have always loved about WDW is that I don't have to drive a car the whole time I'm there! WDW has set up an incredible transportation system...I'm very happy to use it!

I understand that some people don't want to use the WDW transportation, but to Disney, there are a lot of reasons why they want you to.

Among those reasons:

* you are less inclined to leave WDW property (although it is only a 20 dollar Uber/Lyft ride to Universal)
* you don't clog up the roads with your car
* they can build fewer parking lots

There are probably other reasons, but I won't belabor the point.

This is partly a money-grab, yes. But it is likely also a gentle push to get folks to use the WDW transportation more, which I actually appreciate.

Looking at it a different way: would you rather WDW charge extra to use the bus/monorail/gondolas/boats or ask the people that (perhaps) unnecessarily insist on driving their cars, even though they are staying on property?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter