We Came, We Saw, We NAILED It! 2 BFFs Take On The World **9/1 One Man's Dream**

We made it to Downtown Disney, without making any wrong turns. Thank you Google maps! It's amazing that to me that as many times as I've been to Disney now, I never managed to pay attention to directions. Fear not, Google maps saved the day. Well, she did when she knew where she was going, which was not all the time.

We didn't have any plans at Downtown Disney other than to just wander about aimlessly until it was time for dinner. I had planned to stop at Babycakes for a lemon cupcake, but something else distracted me from it. More on that in just a minute. I am quite sad I didn't get one, since rumor has it that Babycakes will be closing.

So we wandered in through the side where La Nouba and Disney Quest were...we would be back for that later in the week, so didn't spend too much time. None of the shops here really interested us, so we kept walking to that other part of Downtown Disney (I can NEVER keep the two straight). We wandered past Raglan Road...oh, and what's that? What's that we see and here...well that would be cute Irish boys.

DisneyworldFebruary2014056_zps83b102c7.jpg

More specifically, Irish men. Singing, Irish men. We stopped and stared for a little while, before deciding to move on. Oh wait! What's that I've found here...

F1C16445-D401-4ACD-96A1-35E39522F94F-377-0000002D421C4963_zps74b3a98c.jpg

Well...this my friends is a Bailey's Shake. It is every bit as good as it looks and sounds. It is basically frozen Bailey's. With some chocolate syrup. It was wonderful and amazing and I drank every last drop. I refused to share with Megan. Which is why I didn't have room for a stop at Babycakes. Because I'm greedy and I'm not even sorry. Except for that little part about Babycakes closing. But at the time, I had no shame.

We stopped in the Aribas Brothers shop and watched the glass blower.

DisneyworldFebruary2014057_zps115c29bd.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014058_zpsbd25d300.jpg

He was making a pretty nifty dragon. This place makes me super nervous because I am SUPER clumsy so we headed off in search of other, less breakable items. We stopped in the pin shop where Megan bought an Ariel pin (her favorite character.) We wandered some more.

Finally, it was time for dinner, so we made our way over to...

DisneyworldFebruary2014061_zpsa8e3b1ec.jpg

And here is my dining review...

We arrived about 30 minutes early for our ADR at Fulton's and asked if it was possible to be seated early. We were pleased to find out that we were able to be seated right away.

I managed to lose the receipt for this meal somehow, so I am recalling from memory that our server's name was Siram. I do remember for certain that he was from Indonesia.

I went back and forth on my thoughts on him. I'm not sure if it was a cultural thing, but there were a few occasions where I found him to be a bit short and dismissive.

We both ordered a raspberry lemonade to start (included on the dining plan). I ordered their Bloody Mary, which I was really looking forward to, since they make them with horseradish, which is my secret ingredient when I make them. I asked for it to arrive with my entrée, and it never did.

We were brought their signature crab dip to start.

DisneyworldFebruary2014063_zps3e509981.jpg

It was good. I did not care for the crackers it was served with, but I tend not to care for sesame seeds. We were served with a massive loaf of bread, so I spread it on the bread.

I apologize in advance that some of these pictures aren't the greatest. I was still trying to figure out the settings on my new camera.

DisneyworldFebruary2014064_zpse3f02848.jpg

After the crab dip was gone, we didn't touch the bread, as it really wasn't anything special.

We placed our order for dinner. I had originally requested the 1 1/4 pound lobster, steamed with Old Bay. Our server rather abruptly told me "No, no, you don't want that!" But yes! Yes I DO want a whole steamed lobster! I told him I needed a few more minutes to order then. I really thought he was trying to discourage me from ordering the lobster because we were on the dining plan.

He came back, and I asked him what he thought about the stuffed lobster. He said he thought that was much better. So, we went off to go retrieve our appetizers.

Megan started with this...

DisneyworldFebruary2014067_zpsa237ba9e.jpg

Crab Cake - Jumbo lump blue crab, roasted corn maque choux, fried green tomato, remoulade sauce. $15

After one bite, she instantly declared this the best crab cake ever. I had a bite as well and it was incredible.

I started with these little beauties...

DisneyworldFebruary2014068_zpsac2e7944.jpg

Lobster Corn Dogs - Salsa verde, sweet chili aioli. $14

These weren't at all like what I was expecting, but in a good way. I was expecting the lobster to be chopped, and maybe mixed with some herbs and spices, sort of like a sausage. What they actually were, were large pieces of lobster, dipped in butter, tempura battered, and then fried. The dipping sauces were incredible, my favorite was the sweet chili aioli.

Our entrées arrived. Megan had decided on...

DisneyworldFebruary2014070_zps6c7f3bb4.jpg

Alaska King Crab - One pound, steamed. $58

It was cooked properly and was delicious!

DisneyworldFebruary2014069_zps7eac12c2.jpg

My entrée was also excellent. When he brought our dinner out, our server explained that the reason he discouraged me from ordering the lobster was because the tail was only about 3-4 ozs and was not enough for an entire meal, in his opinion. The stuffed lobster is the same size, and he was absolutely right, after cleaning the tail, it was only a few bites. After I finished eating all the stuffing, he was also kind enough to clean the tail for me, which saved me from making a mess all over everything.

I hate to disappoint you all, but we ordered dessert to go, so no pictures of that. We both went with their key lime pie. I had it for sort of a midnight snack, and it was incredible! It was more like a cheesecake texture though, and not a pie. The graham cracker crust was so buttery and delicious as well.

We used our magic bands for dinner. Unfortunately, our server did not inform us that we needed to right in the tip FIRST before they take the checks and bring your copy to sign. I seem to remember before the bands, that you gave your KTTW card, and they brought a copy of your bill out to you, and then you left your tip amount and signed. I really hate this new practice, since your server sees what you left them for a gratuity before you are done with everything. I thought perhaps this was just how they did things at Fulton's, but we ran into this at every single restaurant. I also disliked that it added an additional step to the process. First they bring you the check. Then they run it through your dining plan and there is a spot for you to enter the tip. Then you have a third set of bills where you actually have to sign. Oy vey!!

After we waddled out of Fulton's, we made the walk all the way back over to the parking lot by La Nouba and made the drive home. We wanted to work off that dinner, so we took the opportunity to walk around the resort...

DisneyworldFebruary2014071_zpsc265efa9.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014074_zps79055b21.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014075_zpsefdc89f4.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014077_zpsf4cd2179.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014082_zps4321f17e.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014079_zps38eb0ed0.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014080_zps3adc9139.jpg

DisneyworldFebruary2014092_zpsdffe2bf9.jpg

Have I mentioned yet how much we LOVE this resort? Now, if only the Little Mermaid rooms would be part of a discount, we would be ALL set!

Up Next...A Magical Morning??

You have some great pics of AoA! We aren't staying there on my next trip, but I plan on going over just to check it out, because it looks so fun! And that Bailey's shake is going on my "must-try" list! Since, clearly we have the same taste in alcohol! :thumbsup2

Sounds like y'all have had a great time so far, I can't wait to see what comes next!

Courtney

Great pics! :)

Thank you! This is just with a little point and shoot PowerShot. I'm quite pleased with how it did, but next time I will probably bring my Nikon along as well. Just such a pain to carry.

You have some great pics of AoA! We aren't staying there on my next trip, but I plan on going over just to check it out, because it looks so fun! And that Bailey's shake is going on my "must-try" list! Since, clearly we have the same taste in alcohol! :thumbsup2

Sounds like y'all have had a great time so far, I can't wait to see what comes next!

Courtney

I was quite disappointed in myself for not knowing about the Bailey's shake prior to my trip. I like to think that I'm usually pretty up on such stuff. Thank goodness they had it on a sign, otherwise I would have completely missed it!

ah just wandering AoA is so much fun! My kids loved it and I got a picture of them posing in front of every statue .... seriously - every. one. They insisted :rotfl:

That Bailey's shake looks great!

Your food at Fulton's looked great - can definitely see what you mean about the waiter ... if he was more upfront about why you shouldn't get the 1.25 lb lobster from the start it probably would have went better.

Love your trip report! I'm going with my kids and hubby in May, but one day hope to do a sisters trip with my little sister. Disney with only adults must be amazing lol

That Bailey's shake looks awesome, as well as your dinner at Fulton's! Sadly, we never seem to have enough time to spend at Downtown Disney.

Great update! I love all the pics from AoA! I wanted to try and get over there to see it when we were there in October but we never did! Hopefully next time we go we can stop in for a visit!

ah just wandering AoA is so much fun! My kids loved it and I got a picture of them posing in front of every statue .... seriously - every. one. They insisted :rotfl:

That Bailey's shake looks great!

Your food at Fulton's looked great - can definitely see what you mean about the waiter ... if he was more upfront about why you shouldn't get the 1.25 lb lobster from the start it probably would have went better.

Fulton's was great. I will definitely return there in the future.

Love your trip report! I'm going with my kids and hubby in May, but one day hope to do a sisters trip with my little sister. Disney with only adults must be amazing lol

It is the only way I have ever gone to Disney, but we have never had a shortage of fun, or things to do!

That Bailey's shake looks awesome, as well as your dinner at Fulton's! Sadly, we never seem to have enough time to spend at Downtown Disney.

We usually spend our arrival day there and that's it!

Love It!!! Girl Power! :thumbsup2

Woohoo!

Great update! I love all the pics from AoA! I wanted to try and get over there to see it when we were there in October but we never did! Hopefully next time we go we can stop in for a visit!

It's definitely worth the trip! This was definitely my favorite resort (have stayed at Pop Century and Coronado). I don't know if I would stay here again unless they started including it in discounts.

Dinner looks delicious!!

And I don't blame you for not wanting to share that Bailey's shake... I wouldn't either!

We stayed at AoA our very first trip in the LM rooms and we LOVED it! We originally booked there for our 2nd trip, but when discounts came around I realized we could upgrade to POR for about the same price we were paying at AoA. We'd stay there all the time if they offered a discount! Such a bummer!

Count me in!!! We are staying at Art of Animation for the first time in July!!!

You will LOVE it! Have a great time!

I'm here too! You have me wanting to plan a girls trip with my cousin!!! Once you said Strongbow I was in :-)

Girls trips are definitely the way to go! We had so much fun!

Dinner looks delicious!!

And I don't blame you for not wanting to share that Bailey's shake... I wouldn't either!

We stayed at AoA our very first trip in the LM rooms and we LOVED it! We originally booked there for our 2nd trip, but when discounts came around I realized we could upgrade to POR for about the same price we were paying at AoA. We'd stay there all the time if they offered a discount! Such a bummer!

We originally had booked at POR for our trip, but it was still about $400 less for us to stay at AoA without a discount, so that is where we ended up!

following along! AOA looks great! I can't wait to eventually stay there!

Thanks for joining in!

After all of our planning and re-planning, it was FINALLY time for our first park day!

We woke up to less than stellar weather. It was very very very foggy!

Undeterred, we headed off to the car on our way to Magic Kingdom. For me, the first full park day must ALWAYS be at Magic Kingdom!

And then, we ran into a minor snag.

Like a marathon. I should have known about this. I should have assumed something was up when we saw all the signs up for "special event" transportation the night before. But, apparently unless there is a flashing neon sign saying "There is a marathon and you can't drive that way" we are pretty much oblivious. So, where one would normally turn to go to Magic Kingdom was blocked off. We followed a bunch of cars that looked like they knew where they were going. We waited about 20 minutes, those cars didn't know where they were going, and someone kindly redirected us to where we needed to be. Which was all the way down on Bonnet Creek Parkway (nowhere near where we were!) I frantically called Disney Dining begging them to hold our reservation. They said that standard policy was to hold it for 15 minutes. It was going to be close.

To make matters worse, this is the first time I was ever going to be going to the TTC. In other words, we had NO idea what we were doing. We managed to park the car in the 3rd row in the Aladdin section (see, no one else can get here either!) and booked it to the express monorail. They had long since let everyone in for the pre-park opening ADRs, so we made a mad dash down Main St, only pausing long enough to take one, very foggy picture.

DSC00105_zps615c3fde.jpg

We managed to make it to our ADR, about 20 minutes late. We had a very forgiving cast member, who took mercy on us and allowed us to check in.

Here's the dining review!

Breakfast at Crystal Palace on our first full day at Disney has now officially become tradition for me. There is nothing quite like being able to walk down an almost empty Main St. USA, headed for breakfast.

We ended up being nearly 20 minutes late for our 8:05 ADR. For more about that fiasco, you will have to follow along with my trip report!

Kip was our server, and while he was Australian, complete with accent, he sadly was not as good looking as the Hemsworth brothers, which was a bit of a letdown. He took note of our "allergy" and sent a chef to us.

For the most part, we are pretty good at identifying what we can and can't have on buffets, but sometimes there are hidden things like chicken broth base or small specks of bacon, etc. that are harder to identify, so having the chef was most helpful. For Megan especially, suffering from lactose intolerance, it was nice to know what things were dairy heavy, versus having only a little.

We went up for our plates. Megan started with this...

DSC00113_zpsbd5bb1d4.jpg

On the left, fruit and yogurt. On the right, Pooh's Puffed French Toast, complete with strawberry topping and breakfast casserole (which I have affectionately named heart attack casserole after reading the recipe online.)

I started with this...

DSC00114_zps6d78e31c.jpg

Cheese, heart attack casserole, Pooh's puffed French toast and pastrami smoked salmon. I go back and forth on the pastrami smoked salmon. Some days I love it, sometimes its just kind of blah to me. This morning, I loved it!

And lastly, I tried some of this...

DSC00115_zps59536f10.jpg

Breakfast potatoes. I usually am not a fan of potatoes. The only time I really like them is in a cheesy hashbrown casserole. You know, the kind with sour cream, cream of whatever and shredded cheddar, with the corn flake topping. I always think Disney potatoes are going to taste like that, and they never do, and I'm always disappointed.

These were no exception. In addition to being mostly flavorless, they were also undercooked, so after one bite, I was done!

Since were late, we were really trying to rush through breakfast in a half hearted attempt to make it out for rope drop. This did not happen because Kip all but disappeared after the chef came to talk to us. In fact, he never even refilled our orange juice.

Megan successfully chased him down and cornered him in the kitchen (not literally, but almost) and we did receive our checks about 9:20.

Even though our service was disappointing, since there really wasn't any, I would absolutely return to Crystal Palace. I like their breakfast options and love being able to go to the park early!

After breakfast...we headed off towards our first destination for the day. Where do you think it was?

Magic Kingdom is a tough park to drive to on the best of days. You did great just being a little late.

wow that kinds of stinks about your travel issues ... you would think that if the regular road to, I don't know, the MAGIC KINGDOM, was closed they would be over the top with letting people know. Oh well, you made it pretty good and glad no issues with your ADR

"heart attack casserole" is a very apt name ... I loved it, but a little definitely goes a long way

Puffed French Toast :cloud9:

Great update! :)

Thank you!

Magic Kingdom is a tough park to drive to on the best of days. You did great just being a little late.

Now I understand why people always said to take the bus, even if you have a car!

wow that kinds of stinks about your travel issues ... you would think that if the regular road to, I don't know, the MAGIC KINGDOM, was closed they would be over the top with letting people know. Oh well, you made it pretty good and glad no issues with your ADR

"heart attack casserole" is a very apt name ... I loved it, but a little definitely goes a long way

Puffed French Toast :cloud9:

They very well may have, and we just didn't pay attention. However, on the morning of, there was no signage and no one directing traffic on where to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter