Well are we going to be charged to park with DVC?

They'll ask you at checkin, and give you a parking pass, same as today.

They don’t give out parking passes right now. Stayed at Bwv 3 weeks ago and stayed at copper creek. Neither location gave me a parking pass. Guess I’ll find out the end of next month. I’m happy I can check my invoice on my phone now, because I’ll be checking to make sure I’m not charged. I only say this because I’ve been charged valet a few times when dining at other resorts and showing my receipt and TIW card, so I know to watch. Much easier to fix while you’re there.

They don’t give out parking passes right now. Stayed at Bwv 3 weeks ago and stayed at copper creek. Neither location gave me a parking pass. Guess I’ll find out the end of next month. I’m happy I can check my invoice on my phone now, because I’ll be checking to make sure I’m not charged. I only say this because I’ve been charged valet a few times when dining at other resorts and showing my receipt and TIW card, so I know to watch. Much easier to fix while you’re there.

Interesting. It's been a while since we stayed in a Disney resort on a cash booking. They might be using license plate readers and tying it to your reservation when the guard scans your MagicBand. If it's not that, it must just be you're on your honor to tell them you have a car when they ask you.

So how would they know whether you have a car or not to charge you with?

They will ask at check in and they won't be going around the lots taking inventory. It will be on the honor system for now. In time, they will install gates, etc. and that is when all guests will start paying including day guests (they will make allowance for meal validation, etc.).

I think the distinction is the amount of land available for parking at WDW vs. DLR vs. a major city. I do expect to pay for parking in a major city which is "land-locked" for lack of a better word. I would not expect to pay to park at a suburban mall or grocery store or WDW where land abounds. Barring a few exceptions, BWV/Contemporary/Poly, there are tons of parking spaces at most resorts.

I can understand that. I think I'm just hard-wired to expect to pay for parking and all sort of things based on what we're used to. When some family members joined us at WDW for the first time they were amazed that parking at their resort and the parks as well as all the Disney transportation (including the boats) was included since they expected otherwise.

I'm not sure I understand why parking for day guests will still be complimentary while overnight guests will be charged. At DLR if you want to park in the DD lot, you are given a parking ticket and are charged accordingly when you exit for the amount of time parked unless you get parking validation for spending over a certain amount on dining or merchandise. I wonder if WDW will be moving towards a system like that, but with MagicBands instead to track your entry and exit? That would cut down on people parking in resort lots all day to bypass theme park parking. While selfishly I'm glad they're not charging day guests since we often park at the resorts to visit for dining and shopping, it seems like less people would be so upset if they started charging day guests for parking (who don't have parking validated) instead of charging overnight guests.

Interesting. It's been a while since we stayed in a Disney resort on a cash booking. They might be using license plate readers and tying it to your reservation when the guard scans your MagicBand. If it's not that, it must just be you're on your honor to tell them you have a car when they ask you.

Yep, I use to get parking passes at both, so was surprised, esp Bwv. Heck at copper creek the guard didn’t scan my band at all.

This is such a poor move on their part. How many people even drive - maybe 30-40%? So take the $24 parking fee x 35% and raise deluxe room rates by $8.40 instead. No one would probably have even noticed that, but now they are leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth with yet another up charge.

How does Disney justify charging different amounts for parking at different levels of resorts? They're providing the exact same level of service regardless of where people park. It's not like the parking spaces are better at deluxe resorts vs. value.

They will ask at check in and they won't be going around the lots taking inventory. It will be on the honor system for now. In time, they will install gates, etc. and that is when all guests will start paying including day guests (they will make allowance for meal validation, etc.).

We never leave property and take MDE so I want to make sure that we won’t get charged for parking. Will keep an eye on the hotel invoice. Thanks!

I assume your one-night stay with Disney is at a non-DVC resort Is your one-night stay at that non-DVC resort booked using DVC points? If you are not using points to book that stay, you will be charged for overnight parking.

If it’s a cash stay at DVC villa it’s still no parking fee.

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

I'm still trying to figure out how they'll know which cars in the parking lot at the Poly "overnight" are ones which belong to hotel guests, which are DVC members, and which are people who were too drunk to drive home after polishing off a few drinks at Trader Sams following an ADR at Kona Cafe?
Maybe the fee won't be charged to get into the lot, but rather to be let out in the morning. :drinking:

How does Disney justify charging different amounts for parking at different levels of resorts? They're providing the exact same level of service regardless of where people park. It's not like the parking spaces are better at deluxe resorts vs. value.

It's no different from a Ritz charging its guests more to park than a Holiday Inn in the same city.

LAX

So is the parking lot at say OKW part of the common property of all owners at OKW. If so, shouldn't any fees collected go to the owners and not Disney. After all they only own a couple percentage points of the resort.

Still seem scummy to me to charge for parking on swamp land!

So is the parking lot at say OKW part of the common property of all owners at OKW. If so, shouldn't any fees collected go to the owners and not Disney. After all they only own a couple percentage points of the resort.

That's a very good point. I wouldn't mind to have my dues at SSR go down because of the fees collected from cash guests and RCI exchanges.

Interesting point but likely Disney can keep the money. Disney retains a small percentage ownership of every unit and can rent that out and keep the proceeds. It can rent and keep the proceeds for rooms represented by the ownership interests of those members who trade out. Subject to first using the proceeds to offset a small percentage of dues, Disney also gets to keep all the proceeds from rentals of rooms not reserved by members by 60 days out (the breakage period). In each of those situations, the rental rights that Disney has includes all ownership rights it already has or that of the members, including all rights to use common elements such as parking lots, and it can charge whatever it wants for the rental of those rights and keep the proceeds (subject only to the portion that offsets dues in the breakage rentals, an amount that has always been reached in the past even without parking lot fees).

As to whether Disney should charge for parking, I personally question whether that is a good idea from a business perspective. Will it lose rentals as a result? Disney has high rental costs for all of its resorts in relation to offsite and adding parking fees may decrease those willing to rent on site. Also, will this increase the need for buses and raise applicable costs because many who would previously have brought a car will still rent but decide not to bring a car? My sense is that this is not a good business decision and is one of those ideas created by those who think only of new ways to charge fees to make more money but never evaluate the practicable effect on customers. But that remains to be seen.

Now that the resort parking fee has been adopted for all but DVC members, this also seems to be just a precursor to starting to charge for parking at the parks to those staying on site, and for that one Disney could legally charge DVC members.

Last edited:
This is such a poor move on their part. How many people even drive - maybe 30-40%? So take the $24 parking fee x 35% and raise deluxe room rates by $8.40 instead. No one would probably have even noticed that, but now they are leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth with yet another up charge.

As you point out, not everyone drives. By doing it in this manner, the price increase only hits the drivers, not DME guests.

The more I contemplate this, I think it's just another means of encouraging overnight guests to use DME and stay on WDW property. Think of it as a "Universal Studios tax." Want to rent a car and venture to USF / Sea World / Legoland, etc. for a couple days? Now it's going to be even more costly.

Received this this morning in my dashboard notifications.

Walt Disney World Resort hotel parking

Effective for reservations made on March 21, 2018 and thereafter, Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Similar to Disney Vacation Club Resorts in California and Hawaii, Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Disney Vacation Club Members who wish to shop, dine or enjoy activities for the day at a Disney Resort hotel are not subject to the overnight self-parking fee. Charges for valet parking will still apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter