Well are we going to be charged to park with DVC?

IMHO, this is all a precursor to:

A) Charging day guests to park - once the infrastructure is in place. There will be a free parking period of time with validation, but those that skate off to the parks will be paying significantly.
B) Replacing the overnight parking fee with a (higher) resort fee. DVC members will be exempt.

What about for those that rent DVC points from an Owner direct or a company like Davids.....are they acting as the "member" or do they have to pay for parking?

Well I had planned on purchasing another small contract within a year and this parking thing has just reinforced my decision to do so. But maybe that is what Disney is wanting?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but the wording mentions guests staying in deluxe dvc villas. Does this include deluxe studios

I just checked with DVC Member Services. Guests of a DVC Member, staying at a DVC resort using points, do not get charged for parking. So people using rented points will not get charged.

One difference between members and non-members is that DVC members do not get charged for parking at a DVC resort even if they booked the room for cash, whereas non-members get charged on cash bookings. I'm not sure what would happen if a member made a reservation for a non-member at a non-DVC resort using the member's points. My guess is that the parking fee would not be charged, since it would be considered a member booking. Might be worth clarifying.

Thank you, I was just starting to get anxious about gifting our son with a honeymoon stay next year on our points. Now I can relax and know he won't be surprised by a large bill for parking!

Thank you, I was just starting to get anxious about gifting our son with a honeymoon stay next year on our points. Now I can relax and know he won't be surprised by a large bill for parking!

This seems to fall in line with other timeshare procedures. We have stayed on other people's points at Wyndham and never paid a parking fee.

What about for those that rent DVC points from an Owner direct or a company like Davids.....are they acting as the "member" or do they have to pay for parking?

I do not believe they can charge renters in that situation and likely they will not -- your rental includes your ownership rights to use the parking lot and unless you want to charge a rental for it Disney should not be able to. Moreover, members are going to have a real reason to be outraged if that is the case. Disney seldom knows with DVC whether a guest is a renter or someone for whom the member has reserved as a gift, e.g., members very often give DVC vacations to kids (college age and above), other relatives or friends, and the reservation information is not going to tell you whether the guest is a renter or a gift. Similarly, what if you bring someone along with you in the same room, such as your parents, and that person rents the car but you, as a member, do not? Disney, by making free parking applicable only to a member who shows a card, would definitely be in the wrong.

At least from my perspective, this stinks.
We always use all of our points and will book an onsite hotel when we are out of points. Now I will have to pay to park for those trips?
Joke is on you Disney, I will be booking all my non-point stays at Shades of Green, where we pay $5.00/day to park and less per night than any Disney hotel excepting the values. With annual passes we still won't have to pay to park at the parks. I don't even want to quantify the amount we have spent on on-site hotels outside of our point usage and that is going to be money in SOG's bank from now on.
And no, we are not considering adding on more points. While we go a lot now and pay hotels with cash that is because it is still shiny new to us to be able to do so.
As they years go by the intent is to travel other places and use our current points to go to Disney 1-2x/year.

As you point out, not everyone drives. By doing it in this manner, the price increase only hits the drivers, not DME guests.

The more I contemplate this, I think it's just another means of encouraging overnight guests to use DME and stay on WDW property. Think of it as a "Universal Studios tax." Want to rent a car and venture to USF / Sea World / Legoland, etc. for a couple days? Now it's going to be even more costly.
It is believed that between 40-50% of people arrive at Disney by car. Len Testa mentioned it

The more I contemplate this, I think it's just another means of encouraging overnight guests to use DME and stay on WDW property. Think of it as a "Universal Studios tax." Want to rent a car and venture to USF / Sea World / Legoland, etc. for a couple days? Now it's going to be even more costly.

You are absolutely right. It feels very heavy handed to me. They already make it hard (at least for me) to want to go to other theme parks in Orlando when a 7 day Disney ticket is only 30.00 more than a 4 day ticket. I am not a big fan of US and I don't like big roller coasters, so have never been to IoA. However every year we think, should go back to US and end up not because it's cheaper to add days to Disney. I get that, and Disney is offering an incentive to their guests to stay longer. This parking thing isn't an incentive, it's the opposite.

It is believed that between 40-50% of people arrive at Disney by car. Len Testa mentioned it

Is that 40-50% of HOTEL guests or ALL (theme park) guests?

Regardless, think of what Disney would stand to make if they reduced the number by just 5%. More restaurant meals, more days in the Disney parks and shops, more business for the Minnie Vans when needed.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/parking/
Disney Vacation Club Members

Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Still unclear about what this means for DVC resale "members". Beginning to have some buyers remorse. :(
I felt like that yesterday, but after reading everyone's thoughts. Our dues are the same as direct so we shouldn't pay for parking unless dues are less, and I don't see Disney doing that.

I do not believe they can charge renters in that situation and likely they will not -- your rental includes your ownership rights to use the parking lot and unless you want to charge a rental for it Disney should not be able to. Moreover, members are going to have a real reason to be outraged if that is the case. Disney seldom knows with DVC whether a guest is a renter or someone for whom the member has reserved as a gift, e.g., members very often give DVC vacations to kids (college age and above), other relatives or friends, and the reservation information is not going to tell you whether the guest is a renter or a gift. Similarly, what if you bring someone along with you in the same room, such as your parents, and that person rents the car but you, as a member, do not? Disney, by making free parking applicable only to a member who shows a card, would definitely be in the wrong.

Your reply makes perfect sense and sounds 100% logical and they way it should work.....hoping this is the way Disney sees it, but with recent policies they have been implementing, not real sure about this one! I'm sure we will know soon enough!

We have a GV booked for May and I know free parking because I booked before March 21 and we are DVC members, but for down the road what about my adult kids who are on the reservations and they live in Florida so we will have three cars do we all get to park for free,

It is a possibility in the future this could happened because at Aulani they limit the number of parking places. They have grand villas at Aulani as well and those guests are still limited to two cars. I wonder if in the future they will also start charging RVs for two parking parking places and many of those take 3 spaces, so those DVC members would get one free space and be charged for the other two they park in.

Aulani -Parking for Disney Vacation Club Members
Disney Vacation Club Members staying on a points reservation can enjoy convenient self-parking at no daily charge for up to 2 vehicles.

Interesting. It's been a while since we stayed in a Disney resort on a cash booking. They might be using license plate readers and tying it to your reservation when the guard scans MagicBand. If it's not that, it must just be you're on your honor to tell them you have a car when they ask you.

Disney will have do something because many guests will just lie and say no I don't have a car. And if they rely on the old paper on the dashboard method, those often fell off on the floor because of the the air conditioning. So I can see Disney towing a car or placing a Denver on the car that is legally allowed to park at the resort for free. I really can't figure out how it will work, unless they place gates and have a magic band and credit card payment to exit at the guard shacks).

Believe me at Aulani it doesn't always work right so sometimes it is a pain in the neck. And I have never figured out how it works for in and out parking for non DVC members.

Received this this morning in my dashboard notifications.

Walt Disney World Resort hotel parking

Effective for reservations made on March 21, 2018 and thereafter, Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Similar to Disney Vacation Club Resorts in California and Hawaii, Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Disney Vacation Club Members who wish to shop, dine or enjoy activities for the day at a Disney Resort hotel are not subject to the overnight self-parking fee. Charges for valet parking will still apply.

Thanks for pointing this out. It answers most of our questions.

At Aulani a renter is given free parking because the reservation was made on points. They are also given tokens to the laundry machines at Aulani. It sounds like DVC is applying similar rules to all DVC resorts.

I still like the solution proposed on the Resorts thread...there is a lot by the airport that charges $4 a day. Park there, shuttle to MCO and take DME to the resort. Yes, you will be without your car, but you aren't forking over $13-$24/day to Disney and you are forcing them to use their resources to shuttle you around. It would have cost them next to nothing to allow you to use your own vehicle, but they got greedy and wanted to charge you for it...hit them where it hurts...in their bank account. We typically fly, but the times that we have driven down, we parked the car and left it in its spot and used Disney transportation for the entire trip. I hate driving around WDW and I really hate the idea of being charged over $100 to let my vehicle sit in a parking lot for a week just because Disney wants more money.

I still like the solution proposed on the Resorts thread...there is a lot by the airport that charges $4 a day. Park there, shuttle to MCO and take DME to the resort. Yes, you will be without your car, but you aren't forking over $13-$24/day to Disney and you are forcing them to use their resources to shuttle you around. It would have cost them next to nothing to allow you to use your own vehicle, but they got greedy and wanted to charge you for it...hit them where it hurts...in their bank account. We typically fly, but the times that we have driven down, we parked the car and left it in its spot and used Disney transportation for the entire trip. I hate driving around WDW and I really hate the idea of being charged over $100 to let my vehicle sit in a parking lot for a week just because Disney wants more money.

Two things:
1. People need to compute just how much of their vacation time they will be losing just to play this game, and
2. They will now be a captive audience so Disney will be more than happy to cart them around. Of course, they can Uber or whatever but that will just cut into the savings and the next thing you know they'll be saving 50 bucks total in exchange for 2 hours of vacation time lost per person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter