Well are we going to be charged to park with DVC?

It seems to me they are trying to push more people into flying, using magical express, and not renting a car. Traffic is getting worse every time we come down. I know in the past, we always calculate cost of driving vs cost of flying and free parking often pushed us into driving, we live about 10 hours away so prefer to fly.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/parking/
Disney Vacation Club Members

Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Still unclear about what this means for DVC resale "members". Beginning to have some buyers remorse. :(

This includes all owners. There is no bifurcation for direct vs. resale here.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/parking/
Disney Vacation Club Members

Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Still unclear about what this means for DVC resale "members". Beginning to have some buyers remorse. :(

Under Florida law, timeshares cannot selectively restrict access to resort amenities if they are funded by association dues. Since all owners are paying for parking lot maintenance, DVC cannot bar one group (e.g. resale buyers) from using the amenity while others are permitted.

Items like the Epcot lounge and Moonlight Magic events are fully funded by Disney Vacation Development as a marketing expense, NOT paid for by member dues. Therefore, DVD/DVC is able impose its own participation requirements in those situations.

EDIT: That said, the writing is on the wall with regard to DVC's future intent. Resale buyers should expect that they will be excluded from true "perks", both now and in the future. (Free parking does not qualify as a "perk".)

From the Notifications in my DVC account:

"Effective for reservations made on March 21, 2018 and thereafter, Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Similar to Disney Vacation Club Resorts in California and Hawaii, Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Disney Vacation Club Members who wish to shop, dine or enjoy activities for the day at a Disney Resort hotel are not subject to the overnight self-parking fee. Charges for valet parking will still apply."

Are resale buyers still considered to be members or just owners?

:earsboy: Bill

I love how the story says "DVC members staying on points will not have to pay the fee as part of a NEW MEMBERSHIP PERK"

Are they kidding??...Its not a perk, its called the dues we pay every year to maintain the buildings and roads!!!!
That is what I was thinking as well, but with some saying they could and some saying they couldn't make us pay to park at some point with DVC, I was really unsure.

I have a two night stay with DVC and one night stay with Disney in June. Glad to know I won't have to pay to park for any of those nights.

I love how the story says "DVC members staying on points will not have to pay the fee as part of a NEW MEMBERSHIP PERK"

Are they kidding??...Its not a perk, its called the dues we pay every year to maintain the buildings and roads!!!!

Next year from Disney: "In a continuing commitment to provide Membership Magic in 2019, Disney will be unveiling a new perk for members* to provide bed linens and towels for the duration of your stay, a $19.99/night value"

*You should not purchase a real estate interest in a Disney Vacation ClubResort in reliance upon the confirmed availability or renewal or extension of these offers.These offers may
only be available to Members at various times and may or may not be renewed or extended past December 31, 2019. Effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras, including towel and linen service.

/sarcasm

Next year from Disney: "In a continuing commitment to provide Membership Magic in 2019, Disney will be unveiling a new perk for members* to provide bed linens and towels for the duration of your stay, a $19.99/night value"

*You should not purchase a real estate interest in a Disney Vacation ClubResort in reliance upon the confirmed availability or renewal or extension of these offers.These offers may
only be available to Members at various times and may or may not be renewed or extended past December 31, 2019. Effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras, including towel and linen service.

/sarcasm
:teeth::teeth: Don't give them any ideas.

First class members or dirty resale owners as well? Ugh. The article says "as part of a new membership perk."

Please realize you're quoting the words of an independent, non-Disney source. I haven't seen anything from Disney/DVC that refers to the lack of parking fees for owners as a "perk."

Under Florida law, timeshares cannot selectively restrict access to resort amenities if they are funded by association dues. Since all owners are paying for parking lot maintenance, DVC cannot bar one group (e.g. resale buyers) from using the amenity while others are permitted.

Items like the Epcot lounge and Moonlight Magic events are fully funded by Disney Vacation Development as a marketing expense, NOT paid for by member dues. Therefore, DVD/DVC is able impose its own participation requirements in those situations.

EDIT: That said, the writing is on the wall with regard to DVC's future intent. Resale buyers should expect that they will be excluded from true "perks", both now and in the future. (Free parking does not qualify as a "perk".)

This also points out that perks like the membership lounge and MM are sales perks - they allow guides to point out that "look what members get" and "you don't get these things if you go resale" when trying to get you to sign. If Disney stops expanding DVC, those perks will stop.

As someone who passed ROFR last week and is waiting to close, this development is very upsetting. I know...buyer beware, but for people in the midst of the process while they are announcing significant changes it feels like a bait and switch.
This should serve as a reminder for all members that things WILL change over time and usually those changes are not for the better.

But they could back those out of the dues and do pay to play in which case they could make it a perk of qualified points. And technically I think they could hold it for only owners at a given resort if they wanted since the dues for those who own at other resorts wouldn't be paying for that location.

The day I am charged for parking at my or any WDW resort is the day I sell my 810 points!
May I ask why, seems like a relatively small (but add on cost) and we've discussed before that it's common, if not standard, for resorts to charge for parking.

To be honest, I'm surprised it took them this long to charge for parking for overnight hotel guests. At the California Disney hotels they've been charging for parking for a while, right? As far as I'm aware most of the non-Disney hotels near DLR also charge almost $20/night for parking. A lot of places we go when we travel require parking fees and so do major cities. Maybe I'm just used to having to pay for parking. As DVC members it doesn't sound like this change will really affect us.

It seems to me they are trying to push more people into flying, using magical express, and not renting a car. Traffic is getting worse every time we come down. I know in the past, we always calculate cost of driving vs cost of flying and free parking often pushed us into driving, we live about 10 hours away so prefer to fly.

More cars on the road is a problem for Disney. More cars means more chance of accidents. Get in an accident with a Disney bus and Disney is paying a lot of guests - even if the problem was that some private car drove into their bus. In increases the chance that you decide to go bar hopping (the monorail loop, Disney Springs, Drink Around the World) and drive back to your resort - and Disney does not want "drunk driver kills family of four while on vacation at Disney." Plus, there is the capacity issue - Disney only has so much space in their lots - and doesn't want to build more.

Plus having a car means you can eat offsite or go to Universal.

What about guest at Vero Beach and Hilton Head? Pay to park there?

Those would be deeded common areas, so not likely to ever get paid parking for the reasons tj and drusba point out. And since they are mostly used by members using points, it isn't likely they'd invest in a payment infrastructure to collect from the few cash guests they get.

Of course they also said that daily security checks were enhance our in room experience. Because you know how important that is to us. Of course they billed it as trash removal, but if that were the case, they wouldn't have to make another check if you didn't allow housekeeping in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter