Wendy Williams . . . I can't even

There is also the problem of not even understanding what you are talking about. Like what is a safe space, which @dish rag ? You've been in a college lately? I haven't. Where are these safe spaces? What happens in them? When you get your anecdotes, who are they from? Do they actually

Like, Harvard says there are multiple definitions for a safe space:

http://harvardpolitics.com/harvard/what-is-a-safe-space/
You've got emotional safe spaces for marginalized groups, usually extracurricular activities, and you've got "academic safe spaces" which are totally different things. You've got people conflating the two, and you've got students trying to make entire campuses "emotional safe spaces". At least that's what this post says. How many of the thousands of colleges in the US and Canada have implemented their entire campus as an emotional safe space? What percent? I know that I don't know. I haven't been in a college class since 2000.

I sent a text to my two kids to ask. Then again, the information I will get back will only be from two kids, and will be specific to their experiences in their two universities, which are both in the safe state...

There is a definition. The TYPE of safe space varies or can depending on the situation or the people involved.

place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm."school must be a safe space for LGBT students”

And while you are searching there are many articles that list schools with safe spaces and others with reasons why it isn’t always a good thing on campus.

And if you haven’t seen for yourself, several incidents where there was at least an attempt to stomp all over the right to free speech at a University

Oh, sure, this is a problem. Like when former ICE director Thomas Homan showed up for a talk about immigration law under Obama and Trump and the discussion ended up cancelled. While the students probably aren't all that happy about some of Homan's opinions, it sounds like it would have been a fascinating discussion. It sucks that discussion didn't happen.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...director’s-speech-following-protests-petition
But sometimes, I think, a protest is justified. If you've got students and parents paying 5 figures per year to a school, and the school then spends money for some Internet troll to show up and spout nonsense, don't you think they have the right to complain about how their tuition is getting spent?

Oh, sure, this is a problem. Like when former ICE director Thomas Homan showed up for a talk about immigration law under Obama and Trump and the discussion ended up cancelled. While the students probably aren't all that happy about some of Homan's opinions, it sounds like it would have been a fascinating discussion. It sucks that discussion didn't happen.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...director’s-speech-following-protests-petition
But sometimes, I think, a protest is justified. If you've got students and parents paying 5 figures per year to a school, and the school then spends money for some Internet troll to show up and spout nonsense, don't you think they have the right to complain about how their tuition is getting spent?

No I don’t.

If a speaker is invited to speak on campus, it has nothing to do with the tuition being paid. Their student is there to get an education and that is what they are paying for. Not the ability to dictate to the school who does or doesn’t speak.

Also, whether they agree with a speaker or not, students should be adult enough to either listen respectfully or not go to hear the speaker.

Students are in school to learn. Sometimes hearing an opposite opinion is part of that learning. Only ever hearing one side of an argument is not a good thing and is certainly not a way to learn and grow.

Can you share it or is it top secret?
You get news regarding free speech from post secondary institutions but they don’t put in online?
What form of media do they use? Newspapers, radio, tv, paper report, drums?

How very mysterious !

If a post secondary didn’t post information online not sure how trustworthy they are.

And I have great difficulty believing that a Canadian law school spent hours discussing US politics rather than teaching Canadian law.
https://www.mrctv.org/blog/irony-mu...nadian-university-cancelled-over-fears-antifa

No I don’t.

If a speaker is invited to speak on campus, it has nothing to do with the tuition being paid. Their student is there to get an education and that is what they are paying for. Not the ability to dictate to the school who does or doesn’t speak.

Also, whether they agree with a speaker or not, students should be adult enough to either listen respectfully or not go to hear the speaker.

Students are in school to learn. Sometimes hearing an opposite opinion is part of that learning. Only ever hearing one side of an argument is not a good thing and is certainly not a way to learn and grow.
College is about so much more than academics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter