Wendy Williams . . . I can't even

Well at least in the USA ,WE are the government. Citizens are.
That's not how the Constitution works, though. It clearly establishes parts of the government and which part has which power. So, the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

Facebook, Twitter, ABC, and DISBoards are not Congress nor the Government.

Clearly there should be great fear and suspicion of academics and learning.
Don’t think that’s what he/she is talking about.

The things my step daughter were told, taught indoctrinated about in law school in Canada are frightening. Especially about US politics.

Don’t think that’s what he/she is talking about.

The things my step daughter were told, taught indoctrinated about in law school in Canada are frightening. Especially about US politics.

Clearly great reason for fear and suspicion of academics and learning.

Couldn't be any way that type of idea could be stretched and manipulated to indict the educational system, leave a vacuum in its wake, one that's conveniently ready to be filled by a bunch of "truth tellers". After all, we know universities are absolutely brimming with snowflakes huddled and quivering in their safe spaces, don't we?

Clearly great reason for fear and suspicion of academics and learning.

Couldn't be any way that type of idea could be stretched and manipulated to indict the educational system, leave a vacuum in its wake, one that's conveniently ready to be filled by a bunch of "truth tellers". After all, we know universities are absolutely brimming with snowflakes huddled and quivering in their safe spaces, don't we?
Lots of that too, sadly. Safe spaces.

Don’t get my news on the internet so I wouldn’t know. My info is from the schools themselves.
Can you share it or is it top secret?
You get news regarding free speech from post secondary institutions but they don’t put in online?
What form of media do they use? Newspapers, radio, tv, paper report, drums?

How very mysterious !

If a post secondary didn’t post information online not sure how trustworthy they are.

And I have great difficulty believing that a Canadian law school spent hours discussing US politics rather than teaching Canadian law.

Last edited:
You get news regarding free speech from post secondary institutions but they don’t put in online?

How very mysterious !

If a post secondary didn’t post information online not sure how trustworthy they are.

And I have great difficulty believing that a Canadian law school spent hours discussing US politics rather than teaching Canadian law.

So a first hand account from a student or faculty member doesn’t mean anything unless someone has a link to it?

Not saying it is or isn’t happening but I am saying that some times a person knows things from other ways than having a link to it.

I must say how it’s very amusing that on one hand, sarcastic remarks are made about something “must be true because it’s on the Internet” and on the other, links are demanded to “prove” something.

So a first hand account from a student or faculty member doesn’t mean anything unless someone has a link to it?

Not saying it is or isn’t happening but I am saying that some times a person knows things from other ways than having a link to it.

I must say how it’s very amusing that on one hand, sarcastic remarks are made about something “must be true because it’s on the Internet” and on the other, links are demanded to “prove” something.
I think the problem is that some posters keep stating their beliefs about what US universities are doing with no backup; one stated they are emphatically not interested in providing any printed clarification. I don't get it but well there you are.

How very mysterious !

I think the problem is that some posters keep stating their beliefs about what US universities are doing with no backup; one stated they are emphatically not interested in providing any printed clarification. I don't get it but well there you are.

Don’t forget Art is an expert on all things Canadian, too.

First hand account from a student is an anecdote, it’s not factual.
If there is a POLICY in a public institution it would be online.

How very mysterious !

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/eight-canadian-universities-are-completely-failing-at-free-speech/

First hand account from a student is an anecdote, it’s not factual.
If there is a POLICY in a public institution it would be online.

Being an anecdote from a student OR faculty does not make it not factual. Do you go around assuming everything people tell you is a lie? Those anecdotes can be just as factual or even more so than an online article.

Yes, a policy would be online. Of course it would. Did the poster say it was a policy? The pp said something about being taught. Everything that is taught in any one classroom is NOT necessarily policy and would not be online.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Data? Who said anything about needing data?

If we were discussing, oh I don’t know, how to can tomatoes. And said my mil said to do xyz, are you saying I have to have data to back up what she said? Really? Is that the way you have have normal, real life conversations?

As I told the pp, an anecdote can be just as factual and sometimes more so than an online news article.

Data? Who said anything about needing data?

It has to do with claiming something is widespread based on a few anecdotes. It's like saying vaccines are dangerous because 1 person's child got sick, even though 39 million other children didn't. Complaining about liberal indoctrination and "safe spaces" and whatever at universities like it's some type of conspiracy instead of isolated incidents or specific to liberal arts degrees. Or without the larger context of the situation. Like, how much of a problem is free speech in a Calculus 4 class? What kind of indoctrination goes on at BYU or Liberty University?

Last edited:
It has to do with claiming something is widespread based on a few anecdotes. It's like saying vaccines are dangerous because 1 person's child got sick, even though 39 million other children didn't. Complaining about liberal indoctrination and "safe spaces" and whatever at universities like it's some type of conspiracy instead of isolated incidents or specific to liberal arts degrees. Or without the larger context of the situation. Like, how much of a problem is free speech in a Calculus 4 class? What kind of indoctrination goes on at BYU or Liberty University?

First off, the poster that said anything about indoctrination did not bring up safe spaces. That was brought up in a sarcastic response. Second, the poster stated what he/she was told by a student at a Canadian University not American. Nor did I read where the poster said anything about a conspiracy. That seems to be what was assumed.

Again, on one hand, being told “of course it’s true, it’s on the Internet” and on the other being asked for links is a bit ridiculous. And then asking for policy? Seriously? What is taught in a classroom is not policy at a University. The best way to find out what is being taught is to talk to students not go on a website looking for policies and trying to find data.

And if you haven’t seen for yourself, several incidents where there was at least an attempt to stomp all over the right to free speech at a University (not BY the University) simply because some didn’t agree with the message, you aren’t paying attention. And do not ask for links, you can google as well as I can. Is it “widespread”? I wouldn’t say that exactly but it does exist. But which college within the university it includes doesn’t matter. You can’t excuse it because “oh that’s just the liberal arts majors”.

There is also the problem of not even understanding what you are talking about. Like what is a safe space, which @dish rag ? You've been in a college lately? I haven't. Where are these safe spaces? What happens in them? When you get your anecdotes, who are they from? Do they actually

Like, Harvard says there are multiple definitions for a safe space:

http://harvardpolitics.com/harvard/what-is-a-safe-space/
You've got emotional safe spaces for marginalized groups, usually extracurricular activities, and you've got "academic safe spaces" which are totally different things. You've got people conflating the two, and you've got students trying to make entire campuses "emotional safe spaces". At least that's what this post says. How many of the thousands of colleges in the US and Canada have implemented their entire campus as an emotional safe space? What percent? I know that I don't know. I haven't been in a college class since 2000.

I sent a text to my two kids to ask. Then again, the information I will get back will only be from two kids, and will be specific to their experiences in their two universities, which are both in the safe state...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter