Wendy's "I'm Going to SCOTLAND!!!!" Weight Loss Journey(Scotland Trip Report Pg 10)

We were up at a quarter to dark (5:30 am) to get to the airport. I didn’t sleep very well--the old “I’m too excited to sleep” problem. I do so hate starting the day with a headache. The shuttle driver from the hotel was very pleasant and helpful, pointing out where we should go, etc. We checked in at a nicely un-crowded counter, sent our bags on their merry way, and headed for security. After the usual dog and pony show going through the xray, setting off the alarm, and “assuming the position” to be patted down, we headed for the departure lounge.

A quick look around showed very little in the way of choice for breakfast. I ended up with some lovely orange juice, a bit of cheddar cheese, and a rock-hard bagel (which I ate only half of, with cream cheese). I used the computer there to check in for tomorrow’s flight and to email Danny. Before I knew it, it was time to board the plane.

The seats are the weirdest thing I ever saw. They are like pods! I’m in the center section with Deb, and while I am facing forward in the usual fashion, she is facing backward! There is a privacy panel that can be raised between us, not that we’d use it, and a separate footstool that can move close or far, depending on your leg length. The seats are narrower than usual Business Class, but still roomy and quite comfortable. The even recline all the way to flat, a feature that Deb and I both made good use of. I slept for about an hour or so. I am just so tired.

The breakfast selection on the plane wasn’t much better than in the lounge, but I knew I needed more than the meager fare I’d found there. So I had a small bowl of bran flakes with strawberries and a bit of pineapple. Later, for a snack I had some trail mix and some organic shortbread (YUMMY!!!) I read magazines, got up to walk a couple of times, and just relaxed. The flight attendants are really nice. When they brought out a “light supper”, I picked the pear salad. Well, it was a couple of slices of pear, the frize lettuce I hate, and some weird looking potato salad made with mayo. I gave the potato salad to Daddy, ate the pears along with a roll, and gave the cheesecake dessert to Deb. SLIM pickins!! The flight attendant came around and offered us sandwiches which were left over (which we’d somehow missed), so we both had a tomato and mozzarella wrap. It would prove to be a very good move.

We landed on time, and then waited forever for a wheechair for mom. Finally it came and we set off for immigration. Mom and Dad zipped right through, while Deb and I waited in a long line. By the time we finished, Dad had all our bags, and was just looking for Mom’s walker. It finally turned up on the opposite side of the baggage carousel.

Then things got really interesting! We took a bus to Terminal 5, where our hotel was supposed to be. Only it isn’t. It’s called the Travelodge Heathrow Terminal 5, but to get here, we had to take another bus, costing 4 pounds each, from Terminal 5 to the hotel. We checked in, brought our bags upstairs, and went down to the restaurant, only to find out that the kitchen was closed! So we ended up ordering in pizza. I’m sure I’ve had worse pizza in my life, but heck if I can remember when! :lmao: My protein today is in the pits!! Our rooms are bare bones minimalist. Not even a phone in the room! But hey, we’re only here over night, so as long as the toilet is clean, the beds are comfy, and it’s quiet, we’re fine.

I checked at the desk for our SIM cards, which were to be delivered here yesterday. Only they didn’t come. At least they can’t find them. So I emailed the company and told them to forget it, we’ll get some at the airport! Meanwhile, I’ve had an urgent email from the concierge at the Balmoral (our hotel tomorrow night) regarding Daddy’s kilt. I hope to God there isn’t a problem with that too!!

Well, off to bed now. Tomorrow, we go to SCOTLAND!!!

I can’t believe it! I’m really here! I’m in SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!:dance3:
72701.jpg

I slept well in our no-frills hotel, and was up at 7:45 to shower and have a meager breakfast of 2 slices of toast, OJ, and a small container of yogurt. Lots of other choices, but nothing I could eat. :sad2: We checked again with the front desk, and this time they knew what we were looking for, and I got the SIM cards safe and sound. I called about Daddy’s kilt, and all is well--it’s there at the Balmoral. We took the bus back over to Terminal 5 and went through security. SO much more civilized than at home! I actually got a nice “massage” as I was patted down! :lmao: I got some bottled water, and then went to wait for them to announce our gate.

We boarded the plane, sitting in “steerage” this time. (that’s what my Dad jokingly calls Coach class!! He flies so much, he nearly always gets a free upgrade to Business or even First Class) I was stuck in the middle seat between Mom and Dad. I had a splitting headache from sitting outside a perfume store to wait for the plane. I slept about an hour, which was good, since we were delayed about 45 minutes. Fortunately, we made up time, so we were only about 10 minutes late.

We were met by the representative from the Royal Scotsman, and went to get our bags. Mom’s walker came right down this time, along with our bags, and then we were off. It was a lovely drive through Edinburgh--I love this city! The hotel is BEAUTIFUL!!! It looks like an old castle or something, very old fashioned and fancy. Mom and Dad’s room was ready but ours wasn’t so we just all went up there to dump our bags.

We went down to tea at 2:30, since we’d had no lunch. I left everything in the room. BAD idea! We were just ordering our tea ( of which I could eat almost nothing), when the fire alarm rang and we had to evacuate the hotel!! :scared1: NOT a drill--the “fire lads” arrived with sirens blaring! Well, as Debbie says, if you’ve got to stand outside a hotel for a fire alarm, it’s nice that they have 2 men in kilts to look at, and bagpipes playing across the street!! :rotfl2: We waited over an hour before they let us back in. At that point, I opted to bag the tea idea and go exploring. We’d already sent Daddy off to take his train trip--no sense missing that just to stand around and wait. If only I’d had my purse with ATM card, I could have run to change money, and gotten an hour more time in to explore.

The lifts were still out from the fire (there really WAS a fire, in the kitchen) so I had to climb the 4 flights of steps up to Mom and Dads room to get my stuff. It wasn’t easy, but I was able to do it, thanks to 70 less pounds and lots of training! :thumbsup2 I did get to ride back down, as the lifts reopened. I went on a city tour, atop a double decker bus. Pretty cool! This is such a beautiful city! We went past all the big attractions. I thought about getting off, but the tour guide was good, and I just stayed on the whole hour long circle tour. Afterwards, I walked along Princes Street, looking for a bottle of water and something to eat. I found Marks and Spencer, and went down to their food hall to find something. I got water, an apple, some cherries for later, and some digestive biscuits (I LOVE those things!!) I went up to look at knickers, but couldn’t remember which ones Deb had that I liked so much, and the sizes were confusing, so I didn’t’ get any.

I found a souveneir shop and got postcards for me and for Mom. And a Scotland tee shirt for me for the gym! Mom and Deb were napping, but woke up when I got back to the hotel. My dress had come back from the concierge and was looking very nice after pressing. I rearranged some things in the suitcases, and then it was time for dinner.

We took a taxi to Jackson’s. I LOVE the cabs here! Why can’t they have these civilized cabs in New York?? Very roomy, comfy, so much more civilized. Anyway, I finally got to try some Haggis. Not loving it. A bit of a musty sort of taste. Daddy loves it, so he got to eat pretty much all of it. I had a salad and lamb--just a tiny bit of meat though. Deb gave me some of her rib eye steak, which was good, and I had some nice tatties (potaotes) and some bread and butter. My protein is in the toilet so far, so tonite I will definitely have a bolus!!

72711.jpg

Daddy's Haggis!

Deb and I opted to walk back to the hotel. It was still light out, even after 9:00, and a mist was starting to settle over the higher points of the city. It looks so cool! Now I’m sitting in a Burger King with free WiFi--the hotel charges 15 pounds a day ($30!!!!). Tomorrow we have the morning free and then we get on the train!

Hiya Wendy! I don't know why I haven't visited here before...I just read the Scotland updates. You're having such a good time! Thanks for sharing with us. Enjoy enjoy enjoy! Can't wait for the next entry....

Nothing like a little excitement (other then being in Scotland)! FIRE! FIRE! That must have been a little nerve racking. Atleast to me it would have been but it sounds like you all came through it just fine.

Can't wait to hear more!

scotland-smile-flag.gif

I slept very well, despite a leg cramp in the middle of the night. We headed down to breakfast, expecting to see Mom and Dad there. There was no sign of them, so we called, and woke them up!! (good thing we called) Again, my choices were limited, so I did my best. Fruit, yogurt, grilled tomatoes, and a bit of cereal. I tried a sausage, even though I don’t like to eat pork, because I needed some protein. It didn’t sit too well--I felt it all morning!

After breakfast and a quick stop at Boots (the chemist) for lipstick, we headed to the Edinburgh Castle by taxi. WOW! It’s just beautiful and amazing! Over 500 years old in parts. We saw the royal apartments, Queen Mary’s rooms, the great hall, the Scottish Crown Jewels, and lots and lots of cannons, swords, and other weapons. The castle offers the best views of Edinburgh, but our view was pure fog! Apparently, if the fog doesn’t burn off early in the morning, it will hang around all day, which is what it did today.

After the castle, we walked back down through town. We stopped at a few gift shops, and I found a cute little bear wearing a kilt for Laura, as well as a short kilt that I hope she’ll agree to wear. I found T shirts for all the kids, and some little things like fridge magnets, tree ornament, and postcards. We stopped back at Marks and Spencer to get some more cherries and some shortbread. Then we walked back over to the hotel to gather our things and check out.

The Royal Scotsman guy met us again, and took us to Waverly Station (which was actually just around the block from the hotel.) We checked in at the First Class Lounge, and then Deb and I headed out to find some lunch. There was a Marks and Spencer Simply Food right at the station! I LOVE this place! We should have them at home, no one would ever have to cook! Every kind of meal imaginable, ready to heat, as well as salads, sandwiches, sweets, fruits, veggies, you name it. I would have liked a sandwich, but they all had mayo on them, so I ended up with a tomato and mozzarella salad and some crisps. We ate in the First Class Lounge, and then we were called to board the train.

We were piped aboard by a Scotsman in full regalia. (I got pictures with him!) We sat in the observation room and chatted as we departed. I was talking with a lovely older lady, probably British, as we waited. We were called to our rooms individually, and shown around the train on our way. I have the first room next to the dining car, and Mom and Dad are next door. Deb is at the end of the car, just 3 doors down from Mom and Dad.

72816.jpg

Me with the kilt wearing bagpiper!!!

My room is TINY, but so cute! I unpacked everything, and it all fit. Fortunately I remembered to bring hangers, so I was able to hang everything I needed to. My large suitcase will go to storage, and the small one fits nicely in the closet to hold my dirty clothes. Deb opted for a nap, so Mom and Dad and I headed back to the Observation Car to hang out. Tea was served there as well. There were little tea sandwiches of ham and mustard, and roast beef and horseradish cream. I tried one of each and they were good. There were scones (no eggs, I asked the chef!!), and shortbread, as well as some tarts and a carrot cake. It was quite nice! We all just hung out in the observation car until we were approaching Huntley, where we got off and took a coach to the Stathisla Distillery for a ceilidh (party) and a “wee dram” of whiskey. This is where they make Chivas Regal Scotch.

There was a drummer and an accordion player, playing Scottish folk music. Q our host) was teaching everyone Scottish country dances. I watched one, and then decided to escape down to the gift shop to have a look. I found a cool Scottish cookbook, and a nice postcard. When I went back upstairs, Q was recruiting dancers for another dance, which he promised was quite easy. I figured, what the heck! So I got up and danced! :banana: It was quite fun, and it WAS easy. I actually did rather well! We ended by all singing Auld Lang Syne.

72823.jpg

Yes, this is me, dancing!

Back to the coach for a quick trip back to the train, and then it was time for dinner. We ate in the smaller of the 2 dining cars, called Liberty. Just the 4 of us at a table (tomorrow we’ll do Raven, the bigger car with larger tables.) We had some weird salad, roast duck with some veggies I couldn’t identify, and warm bread. Pretty yummy! Dessert was chocolate crème brulee and coffee mousse, both of which I passed on. When we finished, it was past 10 pm, so we went back to our rooms. I ordered in some tea, and had tea and a couple of my digestive biscuits (I LOVE those things!!) and read a bit before bed.

There’s a bathrobe hanging in my closet, and I decided to be daring and try it on. It fit!! OK, not real roomy, especially over my hips, but I can close it all the way!! YAY me!!! :woohoo: I’m SO glad for every pound I’ve lost. If I hadn’t done it, I’d probably have gained instead, and would have had a tough time fitting down the hallways, into the tiny bathrooms, or even in my narrow bed!

I slept surprisingly well in my tiny bed, but was rudely awakened at about 6:30 when the train lurched ahead. I nearly fell out of bed!:scared1: I dozed a bit on and off after that, but at about 8:15 I gave up and got out of bed. I took a shower. Now THAT was an experience!:lmao: It’s tiny! Barely room to turn around, much less bend over. I dropped my comb on the floor, and had to open the shower door to be able to pick it up! The water was odd too--I still can’t figure out these foreign faucets!

Breakfast with Deb--I had some lovely porridge with cream and sugar, fresh squeezed OJ, toast, and some “ham”, which sure looked like thick bacon to me. Deb and Daddy both have pain in their low backs. I gave Deb a nice massage, and then we both decided to take naps--I was just too tired!

I woke up after an hour or so and headed out to the observation car. It was deserted. I guess most everyone went on the distillery tour, but I passed--no interest. I sat and read for awhile, and had a cup of tea. It was raining and dreary out.

We had lunch with the other Johnstons. They are a lot of fun! The boys are both in college. We had some very nice chicken over mashed potatoes, and dessert was raspberries in some sort of sauce that had A LOT of alcohol in it. I couldn’t taste it, but I sure felt it! My legs felt drunk! We spent the afternoon in the observation car enjoying the beautiful scenery. It stopped raining and the sun came out, so it was nice.

At 4:30, we stopped in Plockton. We took a coach into town, where half the people got off to take a boat to see seals. The rest of us stayed on awhile longer and went to Eilean Donan Castle. It was beautiful! There were lots of steps, which I could NEVER have done 6 months ago. Our guide, kilt and all, was a local who was great fun. He told us all sorts of history of the place, and compared it to modern times. For instance, the peek holes in the walls of the Great Room (for watching and listening to guests who might be there to kill you!!) were “ancient closed circuit TV”. :rotfl2: Mom did really well with the steps--I was quite impressed! I got some postcards in the gift shop, since photos were not allowed in the castle.

72903.jpg

Our "warrior" guide

72904.jpg

Eilan Donan Castle

On the way back to the train, our driver, Des, took us across the Skye Bridge to the Isle of Skye. Apparently Q offers a walk across in the morning--at 7:00! No thanks, I’ll be sleeping! It’s so cool--the signs on the road are all in English AND Gaelic (which is actually the first language around here)

We returned to the train to dress for our formal dinner. Kilts for everyone!! Q had to help Dad get his outfit all together. Finally he was all dressed and he looked GREAT! There were 3 other guys in kilts besides Daddy and Q, and they all looked great. Mr. Johnston didn’t have a kilt, but he recognized our plaid. We took lots of pictures outside of the train, and in at dinner. We had gnocchi, which was pretty good, and halibut, which was not, and some little potatoes. Dessert was some fancy thing that had eggs in it, so I had a nice fruit plate instead.

72911.jpg

After dinner there was entertainment in the observation car. A local (from the Isle of Skye) came and played Scottish tunes on the fiddle. Of course he was wearing a kilt! We have to keep the windows closed because the midges are terrible due to the warm weather (little bugs sort of like mosquitoes) So it’s a bit warm in the rooms, but my room seems to be the coolest, so I’m OK.

Sounds like you are having a great time. You really tried Haggis?! I'm a pretty adventurous eater but I don't think I could try that. :lmao:

Thanks for keeping us updated on your trip. Can't wait until you tell us more. :surfweb:

When I stepped out into the hall this morning, it was COLD!! I quickly returned to my cabin to change into warmer clothing. This is quite a change from the nice, warm weather we've been having! Breakfast was a high carb affair of fruit, porridge, and toast. No protein in sight.:scared1:

Our first stop for the day was Achnasheen. Population 15, unless you count the sheep! I went for a walk--it was really a lovely area. Saw lots of sheep, a stone bridge, and the "Town Centre", which seems to consist of about 3 buildings and 3 houses! We left there after an hour, and Daddy and another train nut got to ride up in the engine. (Picture little boys at Christmas and you'll have the proper idea!) We all wondered if they were driving (they weren't) as the train lurched down the tracks!:lmao: We relaxed in the Observation Car until lunch. Hmmmm, not alot better than breakfast! A salad that was pretty much just lettuce with dressing, since the other items were artichokes (yuck), sun dried tomatoes (double yuck), and snow peas (yuck Yuck YUCK!!!) I think I'll need an entire protein bolus today!

After lunch we stopped agin, and went to tour Ballindalloch Castle. WOW! It was gorgeous! We met the Lady Laird and her husband. It was amazing--they are so REAL, and here they are rich as all get out, and living in a castle! The tour of the house and gardens was just lovely. The steps were very steep, but I did just fine! This is the family that developed Aberdeen Angus beef (my favorite type!). We had tea there, and it was GOOD. I, on the other hand, was BAD...scones with cream and jam, shortbread, and some sort of brownie thing that wasn't really a brownie--more like fudge. YUMMY! I could see the calories adding up, and up, and UP! After tea, we rode the coach back to the train in Boat of Garten, where we were stabled for the night. There was no internet, but we did have a cell signal.

73019.jpg

Our cabins were quite warm, especially given the chilly start to the day. It had warmed up considerably, but this was the first time I felt warm in the room. I opened the window wide, turned off the fan, and switched off the lights, which helped alot.

Dinner was formal again--gotta love those men in kilts! Daddy managed to get dressed himself, with minor assistance from Mom and me (hooking on the sporran, and doing up the bow tie). I wore knee highs under my skirt instead of thigh highs--they were MUCH more comfy! We gave the extra kilt pin and sash to Doug Johnston to wear with his tux. He loved it!

Dinner was a broth with langostines and scallops in it, followed by a rather fatty piece of lamb (which was still quite tasty), tatties with mint, and neeps. Dessert was fruit, but I only ate a bit of it before they brought out the cheesecake, which was made without egg. I should have passed it up, since I was feeling overly full. But I was stupid, and ate it all. BIG mistake. I felt nauseous and crummy the rest of the evening.

The entertainment in the observation car following dinner was great. Ray Owens, aka "The Highlander", told stories about the days of the clans in the Highlands. He even told some stories about the Johnstons, and they weren't pretty!:rotfl2: He was really really good. I was pleased to see that I knew alot of the history he was telling us about. I would have stayed longer, but I knew the feeling I was having in my stomach...yup, hello again to that lovely dinner. Ugh, at least I felt better afterwards. I went to bed early, feeling sweaty even in a cooler room.

73041.jpg

The Highlander

We began with a trip to the Rothiemurchus Estate. It goes on for miles and miles! Actually 26,000+ acres, including mountains, lochs, and farmland. There are 170 species of birds living there! And they consider this a “small” Highland Estate!! :scared1: The mountains in Scotland are not all that high—the highest is slightly over 4000 feet. But the winds on the mountain tops are crazy! Averaging 80-100 mph, they can gust up to 170 mph! That’s why the mountain tops have no trees on them, and you can see a tree line very clearly partway down the mountainside. There is also snow on some of the mountaintops, even in July! The winters there can range from -10 to +10 degrees, which sounds so cold, until you realize that is Celsius, so it’s 14 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

We got to see some beautiful red deer, and feed them. It was pretty cool, as they slurped out of our hands! They are amazingly tame, coming right up to us with no fear. I suppose this is a common thing for them, so they weren’t afraid. From there we went to see the Highland “Coos” (Cows). They are so cute!! They have long hair, and we wondered how they could see with the hair over their eyes. We saw 2 moms and 2 babies who were about 3 months old. We then went to “the Lodge” for tea. We met Lady Huntingtower (what a name!), AKA Philipa Grant, the wife of the Laird. She was very nice, down to earth.

73107.jpg

We returned to the train for lunch, which was a HUGE piece of salmon. Protein! YAY!! We traveled a bit to Dunkeld, and rode the coach to the Scone Palace. This is a BIG mansion, like a castle, really. This is where the Kings of Scotland were crowned for centuries, on the Stone of Scone (pronounced “scoon”). The halls are huge, full of old pictures and beautiful antiques. Once again, we had tea, and I was not good! A scone (what else, at the Scone Palace?!?), and 2 kinds of shortbread. I’ve got to stop having tea! I took a nap on the coach back to the train.

73113.jpg

Deb and I went next door to a hotel that had WiFi. It was 5 pounds for an hour, and we had only about 20 minutes before we boarded the train, but we needed that contact, so we did it anyway. We returned to the station, and found the door locked! Knocking did no good, so we called Dad’s cell and he got Q to let us in.

Back onboard, we were just relaxing, talking with the people who would be leaving the next day. We were sad to learn that Q would not be continuing with us, and that Des, our wonderful coach driver, would also be leaving us. We will certainly miss them and their antics! About 30 minutes before our “informal” dinner, I noticed that people were coming in dressed up. So I decided to go change into my cocktail dress. I was a few minutes late for dinner, and when I sat down, I realized that my neckline was REALLY low! Fortunately, I had my pashmina with me, so I wrapped it around my shoulders to cover my chest. Dinner was a huge beef filet, and fresh fruit with chocolate for dipping for dessert. We sat with our “cousins”, the Johnstons, and had a great time. We will miss them too! Getting up from dinner, I was sliding across the chairs, and went too far. I landed right on my “bum” on the floor! :lmao: Fortunately, I was unhurt, and quickly got up—easy since my shoes actually had some tread on them. I took that opportunity to go back and change into “normal” clothes. Everyone gathered in the observation car, where we had musicians playing an accordion and a keyboard. Unfortunately, they were not wearing kilts!

I got up early and took a shower on the moving train—again, quite an experience! We had breakfast with Q (finally!!), and then everyone got off and said goodbye. Deb went off on her own to do some shopping, and I went with Mom, Dad, and Mrs. MacPherson to another “stately home”, Hopetoun House, on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I had planned to do some touring on my own, but with the festivals going on, the crowds were just insane, so I opted to go with the others. We had a nice guided tour, followed by a lovely lunch. We returned to the train station, and I took off to find an ATM and to get some blueberries for Mom. Mom met up with one of her former first grade students, who is now a Presbyterian minister here in Edinburgh. We were again piped aboard the train—you just gotta love it! We noticed that this time there is a much younger crowd—more our vintage than Mom and Dad’s. We also noticed one family that looked like white trash: a big, sloppy man, a woman who looks like my ex’s third wife, wearing sweats, and a teenaged boy who was dressed all in black, with baggy pants, black nail polish, and totally Goth clothing, with his iPod blaring loud enough for everyone to hear.. OMG, are they actually going on the train with us?!? :snooty: YES!!! We would soon find out that our first impressions of them were WAY off base!

I napped for about 45 minutes in my cabin, while the new folks unpacked. We then had tea, the same as the first day. I swear, tea is gonna be the death of me! (and I don’t mean the drink…) I read in the observation room for awhile, and then it was time to dress for formal dinner. Again, there were four men wearing kilts, and one woman! Turns out, our “white trash” couple are both maxillo-facial surgeons! They clean up nice—they looked great all decked out in their kilts. Dinner was yummy as always. Mrs. MacPherson joined us, and she is really a hoot! She and Deb were being very naughty, conspiring together, and probably up to no good! :rotfl2: After dinner we retired to the observation car for more music—this time a fiddle and an accordion. They played Scotland the Brave at my request (the only Scottish song I know!) It’s gotten much cooler, and the heat was even turned on in the halls.

I woke up early because I was COLD! I wasn’t feeling great, and I seem to be losing my voice. A little queasy, and SO tired. I hope I’m not coming down with something. :sick: I went into the observation car wearing both of my coats! I napped for a bit up there, and then the coach came to take us to Arasaig for a trip to Morar Sands. Now, this is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places in all of Scotland, with white sands and turquoise water. But on this cold and rainy day, it was nothing to write home about! However, I was NOT going to miss a chance to be on the beach in Scotland! So, out I went, trudging over the sand. Our new host, Bryan (a real stuff shirt) took off his shoes and waded into the water, as did a few others. Not me—it was too bloody cold! It’s just a rainy and gloomy day, “driech”, as the Scots say. There were actually people camping in a tent on the beach! The coach was very different from the one we had earlier in the trip. There was no water available, no bathroom, and a driver with absolutely no personality. Gosh, I sure miss Q and Des!!! We returned to the station, and found the train was not there. :scared1: For some odd reason, Bryan had us all cross the tracks and stand out on the platform waiting for the train—in the rain! We waited a good 30 minutes, and it was just pouring. Thank heavens we’d brought some umbrellas.

80206.jpg

Me on the beach at Morar Sands

Back on board, lunch was a small serving of pork, and some berries. Then we got off again and back on the coach with Ray Owens (our “Highlander”) He took us to the Glenfinnan Monument, where Bonnie Prince Charlie met up with his troops to fight for his crown. We did a bit of shopping in the gift shop there, and then went to the Falcon Inn for the “best scones in Scotland”. (they may have been the biggest, but definitely not the best, although they were very good).

When we returned to the train, I met Sean, the “goth” teenager, who had stayed on board and was hanging out with Mom, who had also stayed on the train. He is VERY nice, and is apparently quite the computer guru. He offered to look at my laptop, and was able to get it to turn back on, but then it did the same weird display and went black. Well, he tried! I read until it was time for an informal dinner. I was too cold to change clothes, and I sat through dinner in my fleece jacket! Bryan sat with us at dinner, and actually loosened up a little bit. There was a group from Switzerland (7 women and one very handsome guy), and they were SO loud! Deb got a headache just from their noise! We opted not to go to the observation car, since they were only going to be drinking more and getting rowdier. I stopped by the kitchen for a protein bolus, and drank 2/3 of it, since my protein has been really low. We returned to our cabins to do a bit of pre-packing. I folded up all my dirty clothes in my small suitcase. I figured it would save time with tomorrow night’s packing. My room was really cold, so I was happy to snuggle down into my bed. I was really tired, so I turned in at 11:00

Our last full day on the train. :sad1: I woke up to a jolt—the train was moving. The tracks were very rough, and we were jolting back and forth all over the place! Breakfast was interesting—we could only fill our tea cups 1/3 full, or it would spill! Sean spilled his tea all over his lap! Apparently, the tracks were very wet, and we were running with 2 engines—a small one on the front, and a bigger one on the back (not sure why this is, but it has something to do with not having anywhere to turn around), and when the front engine puts on the breaks, the back engine slams against the rear of the train. Nice! That would certainly account for the jolting!

I had FOUR slices of toast for breakfast. Ok, they’re small slices, but still… It is amazing how quickly the bad habits creep back in, even after 6 months.

Last night the people apparently stayed up in the Observation Car until after 3 am, singing and carousing! I feel bad for the staff who had to stay up with them, and then get up and work a few hours l

We drove down through Glasgow. It’s a much bigger city than Edinburgh, more industrial. I didn’t have much appetite for lunch. Maybe because of all that toast? After lunch, we took a ferry to the Isle of Bute., and a coach to Mount Stuart. It’s an AMAZING house! There’s a marble hall, which is bigger than some banquet halls I’ve seen, and 3 stories high! It has tons of bedrooms, and even it’s own chapel, which is a fancy as some churches. It was just glorious! Tea was very nice there. We walked around a bit outside, but then the rain began. Fortunately it stopped when we returned to town on the coach. Deb and I headed out to find an ATM to get more pounds, and then returned to the train to pack.

Dinner was formal again, and we opted to wear our cocktail dresses with the tartan sashes. They actually looked pretty nice. We had planned to eat in the small dining room to avoid the noisy Swiss delegation. As I was putting down my bag on a chair to hold the table, I saw Sean and his mom doing the same at the next table. At that point, I had an idea! :idea: I suggested to Mom and Deb that we relocate to the large dining room, and take over that table for 8, and have Sean and his folks join us, along with Mrs. MacPherson. That way, we could “divide and conquer” the Swiss, and they’d have to sit on opposite sides of the room, which should keep the noise down a little. Everyone loved the idea, so we moved. When the Swiss came in for dinner, they were shocked to find that not only was “their” table taken, but both side tables were filled as well! :thumbsup2 The look on their faces was priceless!! :rotfl2: So they had to go in the small dining room and split up 4 and 4. Dinner was pleasant and friendly in our car, even with a lively discussion of politics!

80106.jpg

Clan Johnston on holiday--me, my parents and my sister

After dinner, we retired to the Observation Car for lots of photos, and chatting with our fellow passengers. There was a cake for Mrs. Osborne’s 80th birthday and we all sang. I had a long talk with Mrs. Doctor Ias we called her). Seems Mr. Doctor had the lap band a year ago and has lost about 100 pounds. Cool! They are such nice people, and it’s amazing how totally wrong we were in our first impressions!

I headed back to my room about 11, and it smelled pretty ripe in there. I checked the bathroom, and found that the toilet hadn’t flushed when I was in there before dinner. I flushed 3 times with no success. So I went to tell Michael so he could have housekeeping come take care of it. He didn’t. He took care of it himself. :scared1: He looked, flushed, looked again, and had to go get a couple huge bottles of water to make if flush. HOW EMBARASSING! I wanted to sink into the floor and die of embarrassment! :blush: When he left, I undressed and packed my last few things, and piled my suitcases in front of the door (praying that there wouldn’t be a fire!) I filled out the “how did you like your trip?” questionnaire, and finally hit the sack about 12:30.

About The Royal Scotsman

The train is run by the Orient Express group, the same folks who do the actual Orient Express, as well as other luxury trains. It holds 36 passengers and about 15 crew. There are 5 state cars (sleepers), with 4 single cabins and 16 twin cabins. The single rooms are about 6’ by 6’, and that includes the closet! The twin rooms are maybe 6’ by 10’, including the closet. Both types have tiny bathrooms with a wee shower stall. The heater is along the floor under the bed. There is no A/C, since you rarely need it with the cool weather, but there is a ceiling fan in each cabin. The windows do open a bit, and there’s good cross-ventilation if you open the window and the door, and the hall window is open too. The beds are narrow but comfortable, and there is a small desk in the room as well.

72819.jpg

72818.jpg

A couple pictures of my cabin.

There are 2 dining cars. The larger one, Raven, seats 20 at 3 tables of 6, 8 and 6. The smaller one, Liberty, seats 16 at 3 tables of 4 and 2 tables of 2. One dining car also holds the tiny kitchen, and the other has the “dish room” for washing up. Meals are VERY fancy, with full formal service I loved the interesting ways they folded the napkins. I don’t know how they cook such fancy food for 50 people in the tiny kitchen, but they do it.

80322.jpg

"Raven"

80323.jpg

"Liberty"

The passageways are extremely narrow. I’d have had a heck of a time getting through if I hadn’t lost the 70+ pounds I did! As it is, when the train moves, you kind of bang up against the sides of the passageways. 2 people can squeeze past with difficulty. Usually, if you’re in the passage, and another person comes in, they will back up and let you continue through, and then go through after you.

80325.jpg

The Observation Car is full of chairs and sofas, enough for all 36 passengers. It’s all windows, and the views are breathtaking. It’s a very cozy and friendly place. There is a small platform on the back, and when the engine was pulling us, you could stand out there and watch where we’d been. A lot of the time the engine was pushing us, so we had a blocked views. The bar is at the opposite end of the car from the platform.

80321.jpg

The entire train is richly paneled in wood, and the furnishings are old fashioned, maybe Victorian? Very plush and comfortable throughout! But the best thing about the train is the people! The staff goes out of their way to make the passengers comfortable. We rarely had to ask for anything, as someone was always there to offer a drink, a snack, or whatever we might need. Getting to know the other passengers was great fun, as there were people there from all over the world—the UK, Australia, Switzerland, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Holland, and the US.

I was awakened about 6 am when the train moved, but dozed on and off until about 7:30. After putting the last few things in the suitcase, I headed to breakfast for the last time. So sad!! I asked Michael if I could stay, but the train is full—DARN!) Not that I could really have stayed anyway, but I sure wished I could!

We pooled our pounds for the gratuity for the staff, and then got off the train in Edinburgh. It was so hard to say goodbye to everyone. :wave: Our bags were nicely loaded on luggage trolleys, so we headed off and found the track for our train to Glasgow. We had to get our BritRail passes stamped, and then we trekked over to the train. It was NOT the Royal Scotsman, that’s for sure! :rotfl: The trip to Glasgow was about 1.5 hours. We had about an hour in Glasgow, long enough to get lunch and walk around a bit. We had yummy baked potatoes for lunch, with cheese and baked beans on them. Interesting combo—Deb swears by it, so I tried it and liked it.

The next train, from Glasgow to Dumfries, was even less fancy. I napped for awhile, and before I knew it, we were arriving in Dumfries. We called the guest house and they came to get us and our bags. It took 2 trips, as he just had a sedan, but it was very close to the station, so we didn’t have to wait long.

The guest house is really nice. Very quaint and Victorian, a big house with probably 8 bedrooms. Each one has it’s own bath, which is nice. The man who picked us up is the owner (with his wife), and he was very nice and helpful. The gardens are beautiful! I took pictures to show the landscaper what I want MY yard to look like!

We went to the local library to log on to the internet. How pathetic is that? :lmao: But it was after 4, and they sort of roll up the sidewalks at 5, so we really didn’t have time to do much anyway. We walked through town a little. I LOVE the houses—sort of a big brown brick construction, town house style, probably late 19th century. We passed a solicitor’s office, and I saw that a house similar to the one we were staying in (but smaller, only 5 bedrooms) was listed for 249,000 pounds (about $500,000) I guess that’s pretty comparable to here.

We had dinner at the Granary. They had a nice Scottish menu. Daddy, of course, had to have “A Wee Taste of Haggis”, which was still too peppery for me. I ordered the Steak Pie, which was a bit to savory and rich for my taste. Dessert was a Sticky Apple Tart, which was too heavy for me. I didn’t eat much, and felt really nauseous and full.:sick:

We returned to the Guest House and sat out in the garden for awhile until it got too cold. (Hard to believe, in August!) We headed upstairs early and I was in bed by 9:30!

I slept like a baby for 10 hours!! Breakfast was lovely—REAL yogurt! Toast, porridge without whiskey in it. The breakfast room is a beautiful sun-room type room.

Our minibus driver arrived and we found we could put all our luggage in, and have plenty of room for the 4 of us, so we didn’t have to leave our bags at the guest house. The driver, Ted Gordon, was a real sweetheart.

Our first stop was Caerlaverock Castle. I have read SO many books that mentioned this castle, that I just had to see it. It’s just ruins now, and they are awesome! Daddy and I walked through, climbed the twisting staircases, stooped low under the door frames, and explored. I could just imagine what it was like when people actually lived there back in the 13th and 14th centuries.

80503.jpg

80506.jpg

After the castle, we drove through the country. We saw lots of cows (almost always laying down! Guess they must be contented cows!):lmao: and sheep. We arrived in Annan (the Royal Burgh of Annan, that is) which is the town my ancestors were from. We were disappointed to find that the museum was closed for 2 days. Major bummer! We drove through town—not much to see. We got out and walked down the main street a bit, but there really wasn’t much there.

80531.jpg

Contented cows

We drove out to Stapleton Tower, which is an old border tower built by the Johnstons (my family!!) We took pictures of the sheep (the ones we missed!—my family was apparently kicked out of Scotland for stealing sheep) :rotfl2: We drove around the area, and got to see the ruins of Lochwood Castle, which was Clan Johnston’s stronghold. I learned that what I thought all this time was heather growing along the roads, railroad tracks, and everywhere you look, was actually a weed! Prettiest weed I ever saw!

80508.jpg

Stapleton Tower

80512.jpg

Lochwood Castle (what's left of it...)

We drove through Johnstonebridge and Lockerbie, and got to see the Johnstonebridge cemetery. Ooh, fun, visiting dead ancestors!! :rotfl: We then went to Moffat to the woolen mill, where we had a very nice lunch (yummy steak pie that was just perfect), and GREAT shopping! I was able to get all the souveniers I still needed, including shortbread for everyone!

80523.jpg

My sister is stealing sheep again!

After lunch we headed out to see Raehills, the Johnston family estate. It is a beautiful stately home. We got to see the Johnston sheep, and even some Johnston rhubarb! (I suggested we knock on the door and tell them that we’d love to make them a nice rhubarb pie, and while it bakes they could give us a tour of the house!):lmao: Apparently, you can actually stay there. (Hmmm, an idea for my next trip there!) Our driver had met a Senator Johnston from Canada, who made up a booklet all about Lord Johnston, Earl of Annandale. So he took us to his house to show us the book, and we were able to get the address of the Senator so we can write to him and get some information.

80527.jpg

Raehills

We dropped Daddy off at the Dumfries train station, since he needed some of the mileage between there and Carlisle. The rest of us went by minibus with Ted. MUCH easier than lugging our bags! We checked in to the Lakes Court Hotel, which was right next to the train station—can’t beat that for convenience! I repacked a bit to lighten up my carryon bag. Deb was able to get WiFi, so I checked us all in for our flight the next morning. We had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant, and then went next door to a Mexican restaurant to get bottled water, since the shops at the train station were closed. We gathered up in Mom and Dad’s room and wrote the review of the Travelodge in London. What a hoot! We laughed ourselves silly!

I didn’t sleep well. It didn’t help that our wakeup call came 15 minutes early, at 6 am. We hauled our bags over to the station, and up and over a big ramp over the tracks to the other side. Now THAT was some exercise! We then walked back over (MUCH easier without the luggage!) and got some water. Our train arrived and we quickly loaded our bags and found our seats. This was a nice train, very comfy seats with a table. We had a full English breakfast of sausage (yucky!) bacon (OK…), rosti potatoes, fried eggs (not for me), toast, OJ, and hot chocolate. Mom and Deb decided they needed more leg room, so they moved a few seats up. I wasn’t happy about that, since it meant splitting up for the last part of our trip. But later, Daddy and Deb traded seats, so I got to visit with Deb awhile.

We arrived in London and loaded all the bags on a trolley. We had hoped the driver would have room for Deb and her bags, so we could all go out to Heathrow together, but alas, his minivan was too small for all the luggage we had. So we had to say goodbye at the train station. :sad: Deb was staying in London another day, so she headed off to her sister-in-law’s mother’s house. We had the car service out to Heathrow, with a very nice Afghani driver who chatted with Mom about the war and his country.

We checked in and made our way to the VIP lounge, where we found that at least half of the computers had their internet not working. Finally, a girl who was finished with the one she was using gave it to me and it worked fine. :surfweb: I had no important email anyway, so I just checked the weather. It was nearly time to board, so I grabbed a bag of crisps (chips) for a snack since I didn’t know when they’d feed us on the plane.

We had to go down steps (the escalator was broken), and I got to lug Daddy’s carryon so he could help Mom. We had to take a bus out to the plan out on the tarmac. What the heck? Then, poor Mom, we had to climb 24 steps up to the plane! Didn’t these people ever hear of the concept of jetways??:sad2:

Our seats were less than optimal. Mom had been assigned 10D, and we couldn’t change that assignment. But Daddy and I were supposed to be 10E and 10F, both of which face backwards. NOT gonna happen! So Mom and Dad sat together in 10G and 10J, and I took 10D. Not a good move—I wasn’t real happy flying “alone”. It was chilly on the plane, but not too bad with an extra sweater and a blanket. It took FOREVER to take off, and the flight attendant had taken my purse before we taxied, so I had nothing to read! About 20 minutes after takeoff, the seat belt light was still on, but people were getting up and moving around. I stood up to get my purse so at least I’d have my book, and the flight attendant told me I had to sit down. I was pretty peeved—why could the other people get up, but not me? :mad: Finally, after about 45 minutes, they turned off the seat belt sign, and I was able to get my book.

They served lunch and I just ate what they had—chicken, potatoes, 2 rolls, and I even ate the chocolate mousse and the 2 chocolate candies. (Emotional eating much?) The movie turned out to be Made Of Honor, which was filmed partly at Eilan Donan Castle. It was so cool to see places I’ve actually been! The movie was so-so, even with McDreamy in it. After the movie, I napped for awhile, and read for awhile. For afternoon tea I had some mozzarella and veggie salad (so-so), and a scone with cream and jam (yummy!) I realized that I’d had almost no water and hadn’t done any walking on the plane. I was too full to drink, but I got up to walk. I could tell my tea wasn’t sitting well, and wasn’t surprised to see it again.:sick:

We landed on time, our bags all arrived safely (and even came out early!), and I turned on my phone to find that my limo driver was sending someone else, even though I’d specifically requested that he come himself. I was NOT happy. :furious: Guess I’ll need to find a new limo service. I went through customs with no problems, and then connected with the limo driver so he could find me. I returned my voicemails on the way home, and got in around 7. The house was empty, and so quiet with no kids, no dog. I can’t believe this trip is already over!

I've been home a week. I have lost 3 pounds. I am tired.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting back on program after my trip. My food isn't bad, as evidenced by the weight loss. But I'm sort of floundering about wondering what to eat. And I find I have to drag myself to the gym, avoiding the excuses I give myself for skipping a workout.

OK, yes, I've been crazy busy. Unpacking, getting the kids home from camp, catching up on mail, bills, and email, shopping so the fridge isn't empty. But these things do NOT take up my entire day! Even when you throw in writing my trip report and getting my pictures organized and printed, there's still plenty of hours in the day.

So, what's up? I have been so totally committed, and now I'm not. It's more like I'm going through the motions, but my heart isn't in it.

I have a theory. When I started this journey, it was all about Scotland. I was going, I wasn't gonna miss out on things becuase I was too fat and out of shape to get around. I was going to lose a bunch of weight, get in shape, and go enjoy the trip of a lifetime. Well, I DID all those things! I lost 71 pounds, increased my endurance tremendously, and had a blast in Scotland.

And now, it's over.

Post-vacation letdown? Maybe, but I think it's more than that. I had a goal, something to work towards. It was really important to me, so I worked my tail off (literally!) for 7 months. I reached all the goals I set for myself, and then some. So, what do I do for an encore? What's the goal now? What's the "carrot", so to speak?

Hmmm. Well, I have to have my left knee re-replaced in January, and the doctor wants me under 200 pounds. Wow. How exciting is THAT? Somehow it just doesn't pack the same wallop as a trip to Scotland! There just isn't anything on the horizon that can motivate me the way this trip did.

So I guess the question is, can I get my mojo back WITHOUT having something big and exciting to prepare for? I don't have a clear answer, but I'd guess it should be "yes". After all, losing weight and getting healthy is it's own reward, right? Getting in good shape for surgery is certainly important. Not to mention all the smaller clothes I'll get to wear. But is it enough? Is it sufficient to repel the "oh, heck, I'll just have a little" moments? Will it get me up and moving and going to the gym? Will it be a priority in my life?

I suppose only time will tell how this all plays out. In the meantime, "fake it til' you make it" comes to mind. If I just keep on doing what I have been doing, regardless of how I'm feeling about it, the results should speak for themselves.

I just hope they have something REALLY exciting to say!

Welcome home!

I have enjoyed reading about your trip. I have never been interested in traveling abroad but after reading about Scotland I just might have to do a trip when the kids are out on their own. DH is a cyclist and would love to go to France and bike the route of the Tour de France. I have no interest in biking but maybe I could find myself a nice hotel to lay around in! :laughing:

Ok, here it is. GET BACK TO YOUR PROGRAM! I know you can do it! Now that I have found your journal I'm going to be checking in and I want to see some progress. So, does that help? :rotfl:

Have a good day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter