We're bringing DoleWhip back...again! COMPLETE: Sanaa and Yachtsman!

I agree with Nicki on the photos ... who cares about those people! I had someone comment last year and I just told him that I was doing a dining review for a blog. He then offered for me to take pics of their food as well! :laughing: This year we overheard one "people will photograph anything" comment that I just ignored.

We have never even considered Bistro as we only go once a year and usually have free dining. Your reivew has made me feel like I am not missing anything! ;)

Another thing - I was seated practically adjacent to the table next to me. I could hear their entire conversation, and honestly it detracted from my experience. I was there alone, but I wouldn't have been happy if I was trying to have a romantic conversation with my girlfriend and the people next to me could hear every word and comment on it. There were moments during the meal where I heard the table actually commenting on me and the fact that I was taking food pictures. They also made some snarky comments on what it must feel like to be dining alone (my mom wasn't feeling well, but based on the food pic comment, it seemed like they were just taking jabs at me). Well, I continued taking pics because this wouldn't be a useful review without visuals. Let me just say I've never been so annoyed by table proximity at any other Disney restaurant (not even Le Cellier, or even Biergarten, where you actually share your table with strangers :rotfl:).

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:
Why do people have to be so rude? I'm sorry they took away from your experience here. And I think you take GREAT pics!

Thanks for the Bistro review! I don't see too many of those.

Sorry about your neighbors. How rude!

That crepe sounds fantastic! :love:

Just tonight I noted to DH that we've never tried the Bistro...at this point of my just over 30 days out obsessive ADR switching, he just responds with umm, ok. :rotfl2:

So, I was very happy to see that you had posted this review. I think we will stick with our signatures we've already picked...FF being one of those.

People that make rude comments about taking pictures of food must not have a real appreciation for the art of cooking. We often get strange looks when we take pics of our food...but once in 50s PT (as I was debating whether I really even wanted to take a picture), I started snapping away. I noticed a couple sitting near us whispering quietly and looking at me, they were at the end of their meal. As I am just about to take my first bite, the woman says to me...I am sorry to interrupt, but I ordered the same thing you did and I forgot to take my pictures, do you mind if I photograph your plate. :rotfl: DH thought this was quite humorous and we ended up having a nice conversation about the places we'd eaten, etc.

I think if someone actually made a rude comment that we could hear, I'd also tell them I was an online food critic or writing for a blog... or how about a mystery shopper for a company that paid for my entire disney trip to take pictures of food! :lmao:

Anyway, we are sticking with Jiko, LC lunch, FF and [AP or Citricos]. Bistro is off my list...for now. ;)

Would also like to know your camera info, if you don't mind sharing.

I think I agree with your assessment of Bistro. It's good...but there doesn't seem to be a wow factor.

I thought perhaps it was just me being a French food snob since I lived in the country for a year, but it seems I'm not alone.

I did book a French Regional Lunch (Alsace) at Bistro for Food and Wine Festival, so I'll see how it is then!

I just can't get enough of your pictures!! I ended up using my camera phone to take my food photos because my camera wouldn't fit in my purse. Next time I'll have to bring a bigger purse!

Boo to your neighbors at the restaurant. Why does anyone care what someone else does?

Another great review!

DonaldDoleWhip:
Oh my, people are so rude!I just wish guests could be a little nicer @ WDW. I mean, it's a fun, happy place. The world needs a theme park [not in FL], for all the mean people to go. They could call it: :mad:GRUMPYLAND.:mad:"The most unhappy place on earth."

I'm happy you still got the pics!! We all appreciate it!!!:woohoo:

I agree with Nicki on the photos ... who cares about those people! I had someone comment last year and I just told him that I was doing a dining review for a blog. He then offered for me to take pics of their food as well! :laughing: This year we overheard one "people will photograph anything" comment that I just ignored.
:lmao: Maybe it's just b/c they have not discovered this website! lol!!!:rotfl::rotfl:If they saw it, then they would get it. :mickeybar
Honestly this board has been very helpful!! Even the pics!! :thumbsup2

DonaldDoleWhip...I have really, really enjoyed all your reviews, once again! I think you should apply for a position as a food critic on the Food Network! I think it's funny how you seem to differ from all the "conventional wisdom" here on the DIS that any restaurant that accepts the DDP is not nearly as good as those restaurants that do not accept it. Thanks for all your work on these reviews and for enduring snide remarks on our behalf!

Sorry for the long hiatus and that I don't have time to reply to all of your posts. School is really kicking into high gear again, but I'm determined to finish uploading my pictures (even if I can't write such thorough commentary).

On our late August trip, we had quite a few lunches at Captain's Grille. This was another new experience for us, as the only meal we've had here in the past is breakfast. I'm happy we tried it. It's a quiet restaurant, the food was great, and it wasn't too expensive either. :thumbsup2

The only appetizer we tried was the crab cake with tartar sauce:

IMG_2598.jpg

Here's the lobster roll with fries. I prefer lobster rolls that have butter instead of mayo, but this was still a very decent lobster roll. There were firm pieces of meat, and the roll had a nice buttery flavor. We liked that the fries were thick-cut.

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

The Captain's Burger with lump crabmeat and choron sauce was also delicious. The vegetable orzo salad on the side was light and refreshing.

IMG_2342.jpg

The roll had onion seeds, like Yachtsman's rolls!

IMG_2343.jpg

Here's the pasta special. This one had shrimp and a bourbon cream based sauce. The salty parmesan on top was delicious, as was the crunch from the crostini.

IMG_2601.jpg

On to dessert!

Hazelnut gianduja chocolate cake with toffee sauce and crunchy chocolate caviar

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

House-made chocolate gelato

IMG_2602.jpg

Turtle Cheesecake

IMG_2346.jpg

No Sugar Added Angel Food Cake with seasonal Berry Compote. There was lavendar on top - I mixed it in with the berry compote, and it provided a flowery herbal flavor. Very unique touch.

IMG_2604.jpg

As I said above, Captain's Grille really impressed us. It's a low-key restaurant that's quite reasonably priced as far as Disney goes. The atmosphere is relaxing, and the menu has some unique options. Even the lobster roll was better than we were expecting.

Wow, your Captain's Grille dishes look really good
It's not somewhere that I have ever really considered so thanks for the review :goodvibes

I'm sorry you didn't like Bistro. It wasn't packed when I was there, but I sat next to a couple who weren't very well behaved either. And when I was there, it was before the menu change, I had the sea bass you mentioned, and it was spectacular, so I'm sorry to hear it's off the menu.

I haven't had a chance to read your newest updates (because I was at WDW myself, but I will be reading them shortly), but I wanted to say that I tried the milk chocolate caramel w/sea salt and I loved it! Thanks for the review of it!! Too bad I left 1/2 of it in a bathroom somewhere in FW on my way out :sad1:

I didn't get a pic of the menu (since it was multiple pages), but I do remember seeing both of those appetizers on the menu. They sound great! I might try the pork belly next time.

We got both apps and I have to say the ribs won out over the pork belly.

If we had only gotten the pork belly we would have LOVED!! it (as it was great), but the wafu ribs were FANTASTIC!! (the best ribs we had our trip, we had them at Tokyo Dining, FlameTree BBQ, and Raglan Road), I have pics of both of them in my TR I am in the process of writing and will then write a detailed dining report!

I am sorry you had a less than exceptional time at Bistro and about your grump-tastic neighbors!! That stinks!

We were at Kona Cafe and had a table in the corner by the service door by ourselves. We were happy to not have any neighbors so we could take our pics. About the time our entrees came out, we got neighbors and actually warned them that we would be taking pics of our food but it wouldn't take too much time...

They then informed us they were doing the same!! :laughing: We got into a conversation with them about food blogs and pics. It was a good time.

We took pics everywhere else we ate and never had a comment said to us. People actually took pics of us at Raglan Road.

I decided to make a solo day trip for MK 40th on Oct 1st. I made a bf ADR for Kona Cafe, I cannot decide which meal I want, decisions, decisions, but I know for sure I want a Kona Coffee press. I also made a lunch ADR for Les Chefs so I can try the prix fixe lunch, and I must get another Grey Goose Slushie!! I eat solo all the time, and I have never had anyone say anything to me or at least not overhead anyone. I am usually in an oblivious state though!;)

So happy you have good things to say about Captain's Grille- I feel like people either say it's a hidden gem or they were completely unimpressed. I already have a lunch ADR set for November, so you have REALLY made me feel good about my decision to try it!:goodvibes

Once again, I'm really sorry about my inability to reply to posts and spend as much time on these reviews. The year has really kicked into high gear - I miss summer! :sad1: Oh well. I really hope the pics are helpful to you, and thanks so much for reading!

Anyway, one day while in Hollywood Studios, I suddenly got a craving for some grapefruit cake. I didn't feel like having a whole meal at Brown Derby, and I'd heard mixed reports about being able to order the grapefruit cake at Starring Rolls.

Well, I asked if I could order it, and you can! What a wonderful discovery. :cloud9:

The cake is the same cake from Brown Derby.

IMG_2461.jpg

The dehydrated grapefruit slice is placed flat on top of the cake so the take-out box can be closed.

IMG_2462.jpg

Still, I decided to take a few seconds to make it look closer to its Brown Derby presentation. Now it's much more stylish and signature-worthy :rotfl:

IMG_2463.jpg

And finally, a cross-section of the cake. Layers of moist yellow cake, grapefruit drizzle, and cream cheese frosting.

IMG_2464.jpg

During the trip, I ordered the grapefruit cake from Starring Rolls twice: once for me, and once for my mom (I brought it back to Swan for her). The first time, it only cost $4 (compared to $7 at Brown Derby). Since I'd never gotten it here before, I thought it was such a great deal! The second time, it cost $7. I guess this isn't a commonly purchased item, so the CM's didn't have a consistent way of handling it. Still, I guess the price you should expect to pay for it is $7. Even though that's pretty expensive, at least you don't have to add gratuity. :lmao: And if you have a sudden craving for grapefruit cake, you don't need to incorporate Brown Derby into your plans. :woohoo:

I miss summer too! :sad1: But not to worry- you are still giving us all GREAT pics and reviews!

I always think I would be in LOVE with that cake- I don't like super sweet, and I love me some grapefruit. :lovestruc It always sounds like it would fill those requirements. :snooty: But whenever I am at BD, I am too full for dessert! So this really helps-

Thank-you!!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter