Were you proud or embarrassed of your home growing up?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
as in your childhood home , did you like it or were you a ashamed of it?

i really liked it although people made comments about the kitchen being small which never bothered me.

Embarrassed (it was nothing fancy), just like I was embarrassed by my parents (too old and straight-laced), my hometown (dullsville) and the entirety of the happy, healthy, salt-of-the earth life I was given. Now all that embarrasses me is what an insufferable brat I was. :sad:

I never thought about it. I never lived in an "owned home" until I was married. My parents renting their entire life. It wasn't bad. And the last one I lived in was absolutely gorgeous with wood columns between the entry and living room, a wooden window bench, wood crown molding and a butlers pantry.

I grew up poor. I didn't really think about it. I really just wanted to move west as a kid.

It was a happy home and for that reason, I was proud of it. A 1,000 sf brick ranch in the suburbs. My dad LOVED that house and lived in it from 1954 until he died in 2002 (mom passed in 1982) My sister and I then owned it until 2017. We sold it to my niece’s boyfriend. So, my parents’ great grandson still lives in that house.

My home - it was fine. But, both my parents were alcoholics but that is a whole different question.

I see some sad faces. Don't be sad for me or my brothers. We made it okay and my mom and dad both went into rehab. in 1991 and remained sober to this day. (My daddy died of lung cancer in 2014-65yo but Mom is still alive-69yo). I was 22 years old when they stopped drinking. I was very proud of them for their recovery. We (my brothers and I) have some tales that is for sure.

I would say proud. It wasn’t the biggest house in our area, but by no means the smallest. My parents always kept it up making improvements inside and out and my mom had a gift for making things look nice yet comfortable. They still live in that house and are still making improvements.

Loved it!
My parents and my aunt's family (mom's sister) co-owned a side by side duplex. Me and my cousins had free access between both houses...it was great!
And the attic was gigantic! It was one huge space for the entire duplex. A perfect play space for rainy days!

Well I live in it now.

Back then it was an average house. We had lots of family parties and good times here. There are pictures of everyone gathered on Christmas Eve in the unfinished basement. Concrete floor, drinks in the stationary tub. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. We had a pool table and a small area sectioned off with an area rug and some furniture in it. After my senior prom a group of my friends came over and watched tv all night down there. My mom kept everything as neat as a pin.

I didn’t know many people in big fancy houses.

Neither, really. It just was what it was, middle class tract home. That neighborhood is so trashed now, though.

I feel like being brutally honest tonight for some reason. I was painfully embarrassed of the house I grew up in. It was ugly, small, unkempt, and inhabited on and off by a drug addicted parent. It’s ok. I’m ok. I love my home now and who I share it with. I’m very house proud now!

We moved around a lot when I was a kid so always rented our house. Never really thought about it but our house was always the house that all the kids gathered at. I am the only girl with 5 older brothers who played just about every sport out there. My parents treated all the kids who came over like their own, which meant you helped clean up after supper and you followed their rules. There was always at least two extra kids at our table for supper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter