What adult purchase really shocked you once you saw the price tag?

Also in health care and was completely shocked to learn ‘free’ health care means someone decides for you what type of treatment you get, if any. I cared for a women in her early forties who left her family in Switzerland and came to the US for treatment of her pancreatic cancer. She was told her mortality rate was too high for her government to pay for her treatment. Everything has a cost... even those that are free.
Imagine that!

Concerning razors, I use feather razors with a merkur handle. This saves me a bunch of money, and it's a much closer shave than my Gillette. I still have a Gillette that I use for travel.

Also in health care and was completely shocked to learn ‘free’ health care means someone decides for you what type of treatment you get, if any. I cared for a women in her early forties who left her family in Switzerland and came to the US for treatment of her pancreatic cancer. She was told her mortality rate was too high for her government to pay for her treatment. Everything has a cost... even those that are free.

This really isn't much different from your insurance denying you coverage or restricting you to doctors in network without paying substantially more.

Why does food cost more at WDW than UO? I can't wrap me ahead around the difference.
Not sure, maybe different target audience? I know Universal is more targeted towards older, there's not really the same buffet and character dining at Universal that almost seems like the bread and butter of WDW. I must say I found even Harry Potter restaurants to be reasonable enough for food, no it's not 'cheap' but it's like their IT thing at Universal and it's not out of control high.

1. Also in health care and was completely shocked to learn ‘free’ health care means someone decides for you what type of treatment you get, if any. I cared for a women in her early forties who left her family in Switzerland and came to the US for treatment of her pancreatic cancer. She was told her mortality rate was too high for her government to pay for her treatment. Everything has a cost... even those that are free.
    i don’t understand if her Swiss insurance refused to pay why she would choose to fly to the US for Cancer treatment. THE one place where if you get ill you do not want to pay OOP as It’s the most expensive to begin with. She could have paid private in Switzerland, been by family and saved tens of thousands. 🤷‍♀️ Americans travel to Europe for private treatment often its cheaper the whole medical tourism thing. Europe is known for cancer. Asia for plastic and Mexico for dental and hips etc. ( niche segment for my company )

1. i don’t understand if her Swiss insurance refused to pay why she would choose to fly to the US for Cancer treatment. THE one place where if you get ill you do not want to pay OOP as It’s the most expensive to begin with. She could have paid private in Switzerland, been by family and saved tens of thousands. 🤷‍♀️ Americans travel to Europe for private treatment often its cheaper the whole medical tourism thing. Europe is known for cancer. Asia for plastic and Mexico for dental and hips etc. ( niche segment for my company )
It happens more than people realize. Often it’s because of a specific doctor that specializes in something that that particular patient has, sometimes it’s because there’s family nearby, sometimes it’s because the patient feels they’re in the best hands ie there’s trust, lots of reasons.

I still want to kick myself every month for being sucked into the cell phone costs,( blue-tooth, great camera features and web access). It wasn't all that long ago the car payment we had then was near the same amount. Crazy!!

Chemo! My chemo treatments back in 2011-2012 were a little over 30k per session!!

I didn't pay a cent as my insurance covered it 100%, but when we got the insurance paperwork in the mail and I saw that price, I nearly passed out!!

Not sure, maybe different target audience? I know Universal is more targeted towards older, there's not really the same buffet and character dining at Universal that almost seems like the bread and butter of WDW. I must say I found even Harry Potter restaurants to be reasonable enough for food, no it's not 'cheap' but it's like their IT thing at Universal and it's not out of control high.

HP dinning is definitely not cheap. But it's not as expensive as the equivalent at WDW. I don't get it. The biggest upsell at HP is the Butterbeer.

daycare. back in '94 the going rate where we lived for the very few licensed infant/toddler centers was close to $1000 per month (when you added together the annual registration fees, application fees and all the extra fees). when we refinanced our mortgage it became our highest monthly bill.

Lifestyle is expensive but not how I thought when I was young, watching the people around me I can see plainly that bad decisions and being lazy have surprisingly high price-tags.

This is a little different than what most people are saying, but it was the first thing I though of. Growing up we hardly ever went anywhere on vacation and never any real traveling. I had a notion that it was something that only really rich people were able to do. So when I became an adult and started to manage my own finances I was absolutely shocked that travel didn't cost more than it did. I remember my sister pulled me aside after my husband and I went to Paris and asked really sheepishly if I minded telling her how much it cost. She explained that they wouldn't have to go all "fancy" like we did and she was positively floored that it hadn't cost a good three or four times what it did. I guess we all grew up with that same notion.

This is a little different than what most people are saying, but it was the first thing I though of. Growing up we hardly ever went anywhere on vacation and never any real traveling. I had a notion that it was something that only really rich people were able to do. So when I became an adult and started to manage my own finances I was absolutely shocked that travel didn't cost more than it did. I remember my sister pulled me aside after my husband and I went to Paris and asked really sheepishly if I minded telling her how much it cost. She explained that they wouldn't have to go all "fancy" like we did and she was positively floored that it hadn't cost a good three or four times what it did. I guess we all grew up with that same notion.
In fairness, that type of vacation may well have cost your parents more of their discretionary income than it cost you. Some things have come down in price and you are likely in a better financial situation than your parents were (but that's a broad generalization between generations).

When I finally got my own car and had to actually buy my own gas for it instead of just using my mom’s

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter