What annoys you about your own home?

We have a huge, beautiful yard but no sun room. You really cannot see the yard from our living or dining rooms. I would love to have a sun room so we can enjoy the view during the colder winter months, or just sit and watch the kids play if we are inside.

There are no light switches in my bedroom. I need to get a standing lamp for near the door, because as it is now I have to walk all the way across the room to turn on the lamp on my bedside table.

Also, we have no normal sized drawers in the kitchen to be able to use a silverware organizer. There are two shallow, narrow drawers and two deep, narrow drawers. That's it.

- House is on a slab (no basement), so our first floor feels 10-15 degrees colder than upstairs
- Super tiny closet in the master bedroom

Our house was built in the 40s so there are hardly any electrical outlets and no overhead lights in bedrooms. We will rewire entire house soon and redo the kitchen so then it will be my favorite house of the 5 we have owned. It is the tiniest and least expensive, but the coziest and HAPPIEST.😍

We're on a hillside with a daylight basement, so the main floor is one story up from the backyard, with no easy access.

I like my house pretty well, but my yard is just difficult. I'm not one for yardwork anyway, but the trees make it hard to manage. I love my pecan trees though!

We love our home; it's practically perfect because we reno'd it to exactly our needs and taste before we moved in. The only thing we couldn't change that is a big issue for me is that the kitchen was not ducted for a exhaust fan during construction 45 years ago. Because it is a condo and we are not permitted to breech the perimeter with anything, a new vent can't be added now so I'm stuck with a sucky charcoal filter hood fan. I haven't seared a proper steak in the entire time we've lived there. :(

I love my house.

If I had to complain I guess going from the basement to the third floor is a lot of steps, 47 to be exact.

16 from basement to first, 16 from first to second, and 15 from second to third.

No view at all...just our neighbor's fence: would love to sit on patio and see a lake, a grassy field, something....love my house otherwise, but it's my biggest buying regret. I thought I was being smart and prudent, trying to keep housing cost down, but didn't realize how important that would be to me. There's no outdoors living space or enjoyment.

Cockroaches like to come out and make themselves at home
It has three different tiles for some strange reason
Two different sets of cabinets for the kitchen
There's a bathroom in the garage
Terrible landscaping because previous owners didn't properly install a rock lawn...

I need the property brothers to just come in and fix it :rotfl:

needs a LOT of updates, old, yucky carpet especially needs to go! and too small for all our stuff. No insulation, and can hear everything all the time.

I wish there was a true place for the fridge in the kitchen. When previous owners put on an addition, that moved the fridge to the other side of the room so it's just sitting there, at the end of a counter. I also wish there was some way to flush out the big honking radiators so the house was warmer. Oh and the built-in cabinets and bookcases that encompass one entire wall of the TV room? Not loving them so much anymore as, between that wall covered in cabinetry, one wall all windows, and another wall not there, just open to the next room, there is exactly ONE WAY to arrange the furniture.

I hate that we haven't gotten to many of the things we thought we'd "fix" in our 115 year old house. Rooms need painting, carpets need replacing, and there is just SO MUCH STUFF in here. We haven't even truly unpacked, so the spare room in the basement is full of boxes from our last move- 15 years ago.

Our house was built in the 40s so there are hardly any electrical outlets and no overhead lights in bedrooms. We will rewire entire house soon and redo the kitchen so then it will be my favorite house of the 5 we have owned. It is the tiniest and least expensive, but the coziest and HAPPIEST.😍

Outlets!!! Our house was built in 1939 -- we've been here 22 years. It has "charm." We've learned to live with most everything, but I'm sure we're putting way too much stuff on our outlets -- using loads of extension cords. When we moved in, half of the house is on a single circuit, including most of the kitchen appliances. My dad was able to separate some, and it's been a number of years since we tripped the breaker. The electric is all a thick wire covered in cloth. We try hard not to mess with it too much, and we've had trouble getting electricians for the few problems we've had.

Also, our kitchen is very small -- would love to have a larger kitchen with more counter space and a breakfast nook. Not even remotely possible in our current house.

I'd also love a patio -- I'd love to be able to sit outside with a drink after a long day. This is our first house, and I'd like to move to a newer ranch (all one level) with a patio. I work downtown in the city, so if we moved, I'd like it closer to reduce my commute. We've never sold a house, so some of the challenge is fear of what that will entail.

Oh! We have baseboard hot water for heat and it makes some godawful noises. Mostly where it goes through a closet near my bedroom. I try to heat my room up before I go to bed, then turn the heat way down and hope it doesn't kick on when I'm sleeping.

The light fixture over the kitchen table's switch is by the door to the back yard.
It should be as you enter the kitchen from the garage.

Other than that I really like our house

Small beans to what others are talking about but I guess the wiring with the porch light and the 2-story foyer light. Those are on a double switch. The one closest to the front door is actually the 2 story foyer light and the other one is for the porch. We've lived here for over 6 years but that still messes us up.

That it’s not on Oahu lol.

Our apartment kitchen is crazy small. I miss some aspects of living in a house, but not the upkeep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter