What annoys you about your own home?

The “front door” is on the side and you walk into the kitchen. Right into a giant fireplace that we haven’t used once.

I like my home, but it’s too rural. We have to drive 45 minutes to go to a grocery store. If we need a repair, we pay a fortune just to get the repair people out here. When my neighbor’s house caught fire, it was burnt to the ground by the time the firemen got there. It took twenty-seven minutes from the time the 911 call was made!

I do actually like my house and my big yard in the forest, but after twenty years, it’s time to move on. My doctor said I need a warm, dry climate. It took my family about three-tenths of a second to decide on Anaheim.

Nothing bothers me about my home. I love it. It's perfect and the yard is perfect.

I hate that it's in Illinois and my taxes are ridiculous for what little services we get.

We will move eventually because of the taxes and corruption in this state. :(

-no linen closet (so I put a shelving unit in our laundry room for towels etc)
-small back yard
-detached garage at the back of the house with no driveway, opening onto our back lane (would rather a garage attached to the house either at the back or the front).

The thing that bothers me the most is that I rent, I really miss owning my own place. Other than that, I hate that my townhouse is so small, I feel awful admitting that because it's a nice place and could be so much worse, but I have no counter space in the kitchen, no storage space, we have 3 bedrooms which is exactly how many we NEED, but 2 of them are small, one is basically the size of a closet.

It's pink. There are so many other things on our to-do list that repainting the aluminum siding or replacing with vinyl keeps sliding down the to-do list because it's just a cosmetic change...a costly cosmetic change.

I could write a book. My husband bought our house the year before I met him. It’s a pre-1850’s (no typo, yes 1850) house that sold for $10,000 in 1979. It was completely gutted, jacked up for a basement, only thing original is the frame. He has done everything himself. We’ve been married for 39 years and it’s still not done! I have a front porch floor and that’s it. It’s been like that for about 5 years now. No back porch or deck, just 2 ugly concrete steps into the back door. I’ve never had any landscaping around the house because he has always said he needs to work on the foundation. So many projects he got to about 90% completion and quit. Now he’s 65, still working full time, and has no ambition to finish it and we don’t have the money to hire it done. I gave up years ago.

I wish that my laundry room was on the main floor instead of the basement. Both knees are shot so going downstairs is painful. Luckily it is only me so I go down once a week,

I'm pretty happy with our house. Although I initially thought it was more space than we needed, I've since found out I was wrong, haha. I love that it backs up to a preserve with biking and hiking trails, and that we have what is apparently the one and only reasonable HOA on the planet. I also love, love, love our neighbors and the community as a whole.

What does annoy me a little is that it is about 15 years old. What this means is that some things are slightly dated, but not yet in disrepair. It has the original carpet, which the carpet cleaners say is excellent quality carpet with a few good years left in it, which is too bad for me because I'd like to replace it with hard wood. I also really dislike the tile; it's classic early-mid 2000s. Big square pale beige things. The kitchen was probably very modern in 2005 but dark cherry cabinets, granite countertops and backsplashes, and a built-in fridge, look...like 2005. The worst is the master bath. Gold fixtures and a glass walk-in shower that's impossible to keep clean, and a big jetted tub that collects dust.

So what annoys me the most about my house is that I'd love to update some aspects of it but everything is still in annoyingly good shape.

My neighbours.
They are actually friendly people and we get along fine. But our houses are very close together and they are just so LOUD. They let their dog bark on and on and on. They argue about everything loudly with the windows open. There was no point sitting out in our yard this summer because you just sat and listened to them screech at one another . The son and the daughters boyfriend have giant trucks with super loud mufflers and they just sit in the driveway and let them run.. loud enough to wake me out of a dead sleep at all hours of the night. All their adult children live there. Nobody talks to eachother , they all just shriek at one another all the time. They park on their lawn. It’s a circus . A loud loud circus. We haven’t lived here long and I already want to move. And I know it sounds like I’m whiny and impossible, but it’s just non stop loud family all the time.

I love our house except for one thing, the garage. Even though it's a two-car garage, we can only fit one car in it even when we're not storing anything in it. That's a real problem since we live in an area that has terrible hail storms. When we lived in our previous home, we had one so bad that every house on our street had to replace its roof afterward. There wasn't any high wind or a tornado. It was just due to hail. When my DH was in college, he attended an event at a restaurant near here that was totaled by a hail storm while he was there. Everyone's car in the parking lot wasn't driveable afterward so while they were waiting for people to pick them up, the owner opened up the bar and started serving everyone free drinks. Since he'd lost his restaurant in the storm, he decided he might as well give away the liquor.

...Old buckled carpet. Kitchen cabinets are all 1 piece, 8 feet on one wall and then wrapped around the corner where the sink is. The entire L shape is 1 cabinet. And no dishwasher and can't put one in because of the 1 entire cabinet thing...
Since you've mentioned it a few times lately, have you considered a portable? You roll it over to the sink and hook the hoses up to the faucet to use it, which requires no plumbing modifications. They work just as well as a built-in and have a butcher block (or similar) top that is versatile for other purposes when not in use. I grew up in a house built in 1900 and my Dad bought my Mom one of these in the 70's. It was a Maytag and still worked great when we moved her to a seniors' home in 2011.

Somehow I failed to notice, in alllll the walkthroughs of the model, alllll the pre-build inspections, final close, everything.... that I have no coat closet.

I don't wear coats, but I have always stored (among other things) my vacuum cleaner in the coat closet.

Lack of storage and the front/back yards are too large. In my younger years with little kids, the large yards would have been great but not so much when you are 60.

It's a 1904 farm house, so I knew what I was getting into and there were periods in my life when I loved these features, but my needs have changed over the years and I don't love them anymore.
The cut-up rooms and doors, doors, doors. It's beautiful and it was nice when our kids were young and noisy - they could take their toys in another room, and shut the door. lol. But, it limits layout. Parties are difficult because we can't all fit into one room. And, I've had to move furniture every year just to make space for our Christmas tree.
My kitchen is 12x15, which doesn't sound terrible... but it comes with one large window (the kind you can't put cabinets under) and four doors. So, most of it is essentially a hallway and not usable kitchen space. I turned a closet in the adjacent office into my pantry because I have no storage space in the kitchen.
My stairs are very steep and I'm tired of carrying laundry up and down.
Extremely limited electrical outlets. I need about double what I've got, and none of them are located in the right place so I have to use extension cords, which I hate.
Plaster walls... I've fixed the cracks, but they just come back. My current approach involves careful furniture or art placement.
Other than that, I love it. It's beautiful. But, I'm looking forward to a one-story ranch with an open concept living space sometime before I retire.

There’s so many things I love about our house, which we custom built on 5 wooded acres not too far from Columbus 2 years ago.

BUT...
We’ve been doing projects with cash flow so they didn’t end up in the mortgage
...no backsplash in the kitchen and the water from the sink is starting to eat the paint. Have to get that in!
...still processing trees for fire wood so have piles of logs in the yard that prevents us from discing dragging and planting nice seed
...old/inexpensive furniture that really needs an upgrade. Especially the couch
...lots of other projects pending like building an outbuilding/garage, finishing the attached garage, putting real cupboards in the pantry, finishing the laundry room, and more

Thankfully, we are making dents in the list. Last year we did a deck and finished the garage bonus rooms so our kiddos could have their own rooms. The first outbuilding is set to go up in Jan (Amish are 6 months out in their schedules!).

Here’s to a backsplash and new couch in 2021!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter