What do I need to know about flying Southwest

soccermom22

Earning My Ears
Ok - I booked our tickets for our January trip through Southwest out of BWI.

What tips do you guys have for flying with Southwest (check in, boarding passes, etc.) or BWI (parking, hotel close by, etc.).

Thanks,

Tammy

What is early? 2 hours?
Does having a 24-month old allow you to board early?
What are the odds of 6 of us sitting near each other!

yes, 2 hours should do it. I wouldn't get there any later than that. And, yes, having 24 m/o can have its priviledges! Getting on with the toddler should allow you to get seats together.

HI,
I would suggest you go to the SWA web site as it gives an excellent explaination of the new boarding procedures.
You will be allowed to preboard with your baby, but, only you, your husband, and other siblings will be allowed to preboard.
The grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends you met in line, will have to board with the regular passengers.

We flew SWA last January for our WDW trip. Because we had a 3 year old and a 22 month old, we were able to preboard. We have three older children, also. All seven of us were able to sit together both to Orlando and on the return trip. Actually, we got to be the first people on the plane both trips, and got bulkhead seating :D ! We loved flying SWA!

Have a great trip!

Must say, I always wished I could borrow an infant when boarding a SW flight! I think the only perk anyone gets on SW is the early boarding with young children. (not that that is unreasonable :D )! Still, the prices are great, and we'll be taking a 3-hour non-stop flight from Manchester, NH to Orlando on 10/20. Can't wait!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mrs. Snowgod
Must say, I always wished I could borrow an infant when boarding a SW flight! I think the only perk anyone gets on SW is the early boarding with young children. (not that that is unreasonable :D )! Still, the prices are great, and we'll be taking a 3-hour non-stop flight from Manchester, NH to Orlando on 10/20. Can't wait!!!!!!

That's the flight I always fly. When I flew out of MHT a few Friday's ago... the plane was less than half empty... I had the entire row to myself. :) It was even better, because they had just put a brand spankin new plane on that route, even had the new leather smell... hehe... (Yeah, it had leather seats)

Mrs. Snowgod,

We will be flying SW on 10/20 non-stop also...but from Bradley in Hartford!!!

This is our first time using SW but I bought tickets when they came out with the "Friends Fly Free" promo and to this day the price I paid cannot be beat!

Originally posted by mazzarafe
This is our first time using SW but I bought tickets when they came out with the "Friends Fly Free" promo and to this day the price I paid cannot be beat!

I love SWA... very simple, relaxed, and one of the most friendly airlines I've ever flown. All the employees are dressed in either T-shirts or Golf shirts, with the SW logo on it... for me, it makes me feel as if I'm flying with friends and family, rather than stuffy snooty airport people.

But... you gotta figure Southwest is doing something right. In these days and times when airlines are loosing money left and right... and airfare is going up... Southwest continues to offer phenomenal rates, and STILL makes money!

Oh, by the way... Mrs. Snowgod... if you have anyone picking you up... advise them that often times that flight arrives a few minutes early. My flight ended up arriving 15 mins early both times... I ended up having more than enough time to go to the restroom, freshen up, grab my luggage before my flight was even scheduled to arrive. So, I ended up sitting at the airport waiting for my ride to show up... lol

Chip 'n Dale Express,

You hit that nail right on the head!!!!! SWA is fantastic!!!!

Chip 'n Dale Express,

Thanks for the info... now that you mention it, it has been early before for us, too. This is, I think, our 4th time on flight 1029. Gotta love it! It is hard to beat non-stop flights like this. I'm psyched about the new plane.

I love the laid back feeling, too. Some flights have been rowdier than others, but the crew members who make the announcements usually have quite a good little comedy routine going on.

mazzarafe,

Another 10/20 arrival - Terrific! This will be our first time for the food & wine festival, and I am really hoping the hurricanes take a break that week!

That Friends fly Free was incredible. I have never found fares for MHT to MCO for less with any other airline.

It's getting so close now....

Our flight is TFGreen in RI 10-14 @ 8:20 am.
Anyone experience this flight? Is it usually early too?

My daughters was in Sept. About 25 mins. early.

Actually, if you have nothing else to do :) , you can track the flights by going to the web site and locating flight info.
I tracked mine for days before we left and found that it was running about 20 mins. early, unfortunately, that was not the case when we flew, they were only about 10 mins. early. Not a big deal, always better early than late.

thanks Gail my dd is going to be 4 when we go next summer to the beach club villas and i was thinking about sw out of green,but was nervous about getting seats together so that will solve that problem.now i just need the cheap fare:D

Hi,
I would sign up for SWA's "newsletters" (I am not sure what they are really called) they come out on Tuesdays. When a good fare comes along grab it. Good luck. Also, not sure where in MA you are, but, check Hartford also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter