What do I need to know about flying Southwest

Southwest is a great airline - they get a lot of Midwestern traffic out here in Nebraska and I hear nothing but good things from them. Plus, they are one of only two airlines that fly direct to Orlando from Nebraska :)

WOW do I feel better now -

WE booked our flight through TA months ago and everone has been telling me that TFGreene doesn't have a direct flight to MCO -
I WAS SCARED!

Picked up tix today - and right there in writing it says DIRECT
whoo-whoo!

oh Patty, what a shame you did not get the correct information from the start. Yes, they have direct flights and they are nice people too. :) Glad this was straightened out for you.

We love SWA. The staff is very friendly and efficient. They do allow preboarding with an infant. Make sure you ask at the gate where to stand for preboard because when I flew with my 6 month old, we had to wait in a different area (this could have been because of the way the airport was set up).

One other thing that I thought was strange. They asked me for my son's birth certificate when I checked in. Of course I did not have it and she said, "she would let it go this time." I have never been asked for any of my childrens' birth certificates before or after this one incidence, so I'm not sure about this policy. I would call and ask SWA about this. This happened before 9/11.

Also, SWA seems to have a lot of single business travelers (who are willing to trade seats so a family can sit together).

twinmomto3boys
They ask to see Birth Certs. for a number of reasons.
1. to make sure the child is eligable to be a "lap child" if you have not purchased a seat for that child/ren.
2. to make sure that child is eligable for a youth fare.
3. to make sure you are eligable for preboarding. (You have to stand in the preboard line at all the airports, if you look up, you will see signs that say "preboard", "A" "B" and "C".
Even if it is obvious the child is under 2 (for a lap child) or under the age for a youth fare or preboarding, it is a regulation that they ask. I am sure you did not fault them for following procedure.
I guess the fact that they do follow procedure all (about 98%) is why they are about the only airline making money. :)

He was 4 months old and of course I was nice and polite! I completely understand policy, but was caught off guard. We were told when we purchased the ticket that we did not need to bring anything for him. So I was surprised at check in, but the SWA person was extremely nice and helpful.

When I called to confirm our flights with southwest, I was told to bring by 9 year olds birth certificate. I have never needed one before, but i have put it with the rest of our documents.

Patty

twinmomto3boys
I am quite sure you were polite and I do understand being caught off guard. Different airlines have different rules and it is difficult to keep them all straight. :)

WEll I fly out on Monday and I didn't know I needed birth certificates! I just went to Niagra Falls a month ago for surgery and went running around getting birth certificates in order- so thank god I have them! All I have to do is remember them now! (They are still in the car - I'll have to go get them after!

Thanks to DIS again - making the trip go smoother!

Thanks twinmomto3boys - I never would have none if you hadn't told your story! TA never mentioned it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter