What do you eat? - Merged

jrandtysmom

I'm not cool enough for the Tag Fairy...or maybe I
OK so I've not been camping since I was a kid (and someone else took care of everything) but I've decided to take my 2 DS's camping for a few nights at Assateague. We will be tent camping so what do you eat? I've never cooked on an open fire. What have I gotten myself into??:confused3 Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, including any foods you prepare while camping. I'm not trying to go gourmet but I didn't want to eat sandwiches and hot dogs the whole time. :rotfl:

Tacos and sloppy joes are two remarkably easy campfire meals - to make them even easier make the meat ahead of time and freeze, just warm in a pot when you are there. Spaghetti is also another very easy one.
However, when we go camping we usually fall back on the ever popular, steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, mountain pies, corn on the cob and foilpacks (which are made to each person's specs) (also easier with all canned veggies)
We have grown lazy in our camp meals!
Our scouts just made all of these plus chicken, french fries, pankcakes, french toast, hash browns, bacon, sausage, stir fry adn more
I have to stop this is making me hungry for a s'more and I am not among the lucky who are camping this weekend!

OK so I've not been camping since I was a kid (and someone else took care of everything) but I've decided to take my 2 DS's camping for a few nights at Assateague. We will be tent camping so what do you eat? I've never cooked on an open fire. What have I gotten myself into?? Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, including any foods you prepare while camping. I'm not trying to go gourmet but I didn't want to eat sandwiches and hot dogs the whole time.

Many campsites have charcol grills so you can cook on those. We usually bring a portable grill and a propane stove to cook on.

Don't forget chicken & ribs and clams - I love to eat clams when we camp. Oh and shrimp too.

When I'm solo, it's pretty simple. Soup, yogurt, tuna fish meals, breakfast bars, oatmeal. I've found those Betty Crocker Bakes to be pretty good for dinner solo.

Now when DH comes along, good old everything in them omelets for breakfast and some great thick juicy stakes on the grill for dinner.

With Scouts, it's all over the board, the adult patrol gets pretty creative with their dutch ovens, and our last campout one of the dads brought his big smoker on a trailer and we had some GREAT barbecue.

Now in the boy patrols, what's funny is the younger Scouts get pretty creative and do pretty well on their meals. (They are still excited and want to do well.)

The older Scouts make as little as possible, yeah they get finished with their meals and cleanup faster, but don't have as good eats.

If you don't want to fool with cooking on an actual open fire, get one of those inexpensive portable grills and bring charcoal. A lot more predictable as far as cooking goes.

Many campsites have charcol grills so you can cook on those. We usually bring a portable grill and a propane stove to cook on.

Don't forget chicken & ribs and clams - I love to eat clams when we camp. Oh and shrimp too.

Al...I love clams too....but never get a chance to eat them very much...how do you cook yours when camping? On the grill? Ive only eaten fried clams, but would love to try em however your doing them....so....cough up a recipe, bro!!!!

Rog, just put them on the fire grate and wait for them to open up and dip em in butter and eat em. Real simple. If there's no fire I eat em raw!

jeeeeese...thats sooo simple!!! Raw clams? Hmmm......well, I eat raw oysters all the time...I guess it cant be much more dangerous than that! Thanks Al.

As a rule we eat out except for breakfast and then its usually Cereal, Juice and Danish. I feel that were on vacation so we try not put a lot of work on Mommy (Dad too). Now I know your camping, and the kido's will like Hotdogs and such, so there is a Campfire program that has all of that.
We like to try the different Resturants at Disney and I am sure your family would like them also if that is possible, I know that they can become Expensive...

jeeeeese...thats sooo simple!!! Raw clams? Hmmm......well, I eat raw oysters all the time...I guess it cant be much more dangerous than that! Thanks Al.

Raw clams & raw oysters, combined with beer, give me the farts!!! I love clams, oysters and beer, and I feel much better after farting. Rick practically chokes watching me eat raw oysters, but I share the farts with him, so all is not lost!:thumbsup2

Oh... a fire-y hot cocktail sauce or good ol' Frank's or Texas Pete's goes nicely on raw clams & oysters, too! And the bouquet!!!

Are you staying at the State or National park both are to primitive for me.

Forget cooking over the fire---Take a small grill for cooking.

For my first camping adventure I wouldn't pick Assateague. To hard core for a first timer. No shade, on the beach, hot hot hot,sand in places you didn't think you could get sand in, horse flys so big you can ride them, a smelly salt marsh 200 yds away, stinky pit toilets, 10 billion no see ums, and the Mosquitoes are so thick at sunset they come in clouds. Stop by the office for the "I Gave blood at Assateague" Sticker--- Bring lots of bug spray you will NEED it. If you go to Assateague on your first camping adventure it could be the last time the kids ask to go camping.

I would go to frontier town they have a water park,pool, Ice cream parlor,mini golf,Wildwest town, a dock for fishing, free transportation to Ocean City, water and Electric and most important large clean bath houses.

Are you staying at the State or National park both are to primitive for me.

Forget cooking over the fire---Take a small grill for cooking.

For my first camping adventure I wouldn't pick Assateague. To hard core for a first timer. No shade, on the beach, hot hot hot, horse flys so big you can ride them, a smelly salt marsh 200 yds away, stinky pit toilets, 10 billion see ums, and the Mosquitoes are so thick at sunset they come in clouds. Stop by the office for the "I Gave blood at Assateague" Sticker--- Bring lots of bug spray you will NEED it. If you go to Assateague on you first camping adventure it could be the last time the kids ask to go camping.

I would go to frontier town they have a water park,pool, Ice cream parlor,mini golf,Wildwest town, a dock for fishing, free transportation to Ocean City, water and Electric and most important large clean bath houses.

I liked the idea of camping right on the beach. Does Frontier Town have a beach?

:confused3 What's up? Why do we have two threads going on this? It is so confusing! I coulnd't figure out why my post didn't show up then I saw it was on the other one.

I agree with the pp - a small charcoal or propane grill works much better and faster, but you can make a charcoal fire in your fire pit and have a nice campfire in it later if you didn't already have a grill and didn't want to spend the extra $$ for your trip.

They are on the back bay, no beach but it's only a few miles down the road to Assateague's beach and a free bus ride to the beach at Ocean City Md.

Here is the web site http://www.frontiertown.com/

I'll check it out. My reservation is at the State side and we are right at the beach. But Frontier Town sounds fun, especially for keeping the kids entertained. Can you ride bikes at Frontier Town, that was one activity the kids were looking forward to in the evenings?

I have to agree with Pirate-Jeff. Assateague will be rather challenging for a first-time experience. Turns out my DH just returned home on Tuesday from a 4 day Scout trip where they stayed in the National Park. Surprisingly, mosquitoes weren't a big problem--the wind was. The group camped next to them had put up one of those instant-up dining tents, and had to pitch it that night after the wind ripped it up. Also sand got everywhere.
As far as food goes, they did dutch oven cooking (my DH loves it) but had issues with the wind and keeping the temperature even. I guess you have to be prepared for anything. The best advice is to precook what you can, then reheat and eat.
Good luck and happy camping!

OK I took the advice and just changed to Frontier Town. It sounds like alot of fun and much more for my 2 DS's. Plus it's much cheaper to stay there then in OC (hotels were $200+/night) So now we get Assateague beach nearby, OC bus for free, waterpark & golf plus this Frontier town show. Sounds like a good deal. It cost a little more to rent the campsite but at least this one has water and electric, the one at Assateague had nothing. Thanks for the advice! (Plus if the cooking thing doesn't work out too well, we can go into OC to eat. :lmao:

We love to grill while camping. Chicken, burgers, seafood, steak...it's all grilled when we camp! ;)

Raw clams & raw oysters, combined with beer, give me the farts!!! I love clams, oysters and beer, and I feel much better after farting. Rick practically chokes watching me eat raw oysters, but I share the farts with him, so all is not lost!:thumbsup2

Oh... a fire-y hot cocktail sauce or good ol' Frank's or Texas Pete's goes nicely on raw clams & oysters, too! And the bouquet!!!

Look who's given TMI today.:rotfl2:
I refuse to be around my DB the day of and after when he eats raw oysters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter