What do you eat? - Merged

OK so I've not been camping since I was a kid (and someone else took care of everything) but I've decided to take my 2 DS's camping for a few nights at Assateague. We will be tent camping so what do you eat? I've never cooked on an open fire. What have I gotten myself into??:confused3 Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, including any foods you prepare while camping. I'm not trying to go gourmet but I didn't want to eat sandwiches and hot dogs the whole time. :rotfl:

I gave up tent camping decades ago, but about 10 or so years ago on the Boy Scout annual canoe trip/camp out my son and I made pizza in one of those coleman ovens on a coleman stove and we were the envy of the campers, both adults and boys. If you have an actual camp fire the foil meals in the extra heavy duty foil are great -- either ground beef, some beef cubed, or chicken breast and then surround and cover in veggies - onions, potatoes, carrots and put next to or circled with coals and turn occassionaly - no pots to clean. A take off on that is the foiled onion dinner where you hollow out a large onion leaving the last three or four outside layers on and fill with ground beef or your favorite meatloaf mixture and again put in doubled foil and surround with the veggies of your choice. This one you don't turn upside down but rotated if not surrounded by coals. One pot meals are also good like stew and our scout troop really liked for breakfast something they called "Harrison Hash" which is like a pound of breakfast sausage broken up and browned and then added to packaged "Potatoes Obrian" which is finely cubed potatoes, onions, green and red peppers so you can actually make your own from the raw ingredients and if you want to get fancy a fried egg on top makes a great addition and we often have this for dinner even now.

A take off on the pizza if you have a coleman oven is "English Muffin" pizzas that we always have at least once when camping as a quick fix and eat whenever and is your basic pizza just using Thomas' English muffins as the dough and you can even use the sandwich sized muffins, but we still like the regular size.

Larry

jeeeeese...thats sooo simple!!! Raw clams? Hmmm......well, I eat raw oysters all the time...I guess it cant be much more dangerous than that! Thanks Al.

At the Cape May Cafe ($$) threir specialty is STEAMED CLAMS baby !!!
Like I said, kinda $$, but well worth the dough. And it's all you can eat ! We can slam down some clams,, kinda freaks folk out when they wait on us.

Steamed Clams, MMMmmmmmmm !

Here's a recipe for you.

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 cup beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos®
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese.

JUST KIDDING !!!
I like hot dogs onna stick over a fire as well as anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter