What do you hope "stays" post-Covid?

I can't think of a whole lot of things I'd like to keep, but there are some:
  • Everyday hygiene awareness has certainly improved, and that's a plus.
  • I also notice more courtesy and more awareness of personal space than we used to have.
  • Telemedicine has been a plus for me, but I can see how it could expose docs to more liability. I think we'll have to find a comfortable middle ground there.
  • Increased use of Facetime, Zoom, etc for personal stuff has been a plus.
  • A lot of businesses have greatly improved their customer interaction by expanding their online capabilities. But I also see a lot of "virtual assistant" junk that is nothing more than a help-link bot.
But for me, the downsides of the pandemic restrictions I've imposed on myself, hugely outweigh all of the above benefits. Retiring from home is really awful, and I can't wait to get back to a more normal life.
I haven't had to use Telemedicine yet but I agree. The talk has been that since regulations have eased to allow for Telemedicine during the pandemic, it's destined to continue post-COVID . In fact, it will likely only expand.

Serious handwashing - yay!
Love the telemedicine
Definitely hope people learn to actually stay home when they are sick, and that employers encourage that safety culture

I also definitely notice that we need a better mix of activities/sports/etc vs calm family time. Don't get me wrong - we need SOME real activities back in our lives. But I also appreciate the down time that we have now too.

Not a hugger either and now I have an excuse, it's frustrating when people assume you are rude because you don't want their body smooshed up next to yours! Hand shaking can go too, seriously, why touch someone you just met??

Masks when sick...yes! DD and I went to China in 2019, looking through the pics, half our group was wearing masks at any given time, some because they had a cold/cough, other so they wouldn't catch their cold/cough.

A 6 foot radius around me will always be welcomed!

Last edited:
sorry but nothing......me personally I dislike the whole term pre-covid. NOT to be religious here but it reminds me of historians and whoever referring to times as BC and/or AD which again I think is a tad different.

While I understand where you're coming from, as a non-Christian, I was happy to see a movement away from BC/AD to BCE (before the common era) and CE (common era) as a acknowledgement that not everyone is of the same faith tradition.

Serious handwashing - yay!
Love the telemedicine
Definitely hope people learn to actually stay home when they are sick, and that employers encourage that safety culture

I also definitely notice that we need a better mix of activities/sports/etc vs calm family time. Don't get me wrong - we need SOME real activities back in our lives. But I also appreciate the down time that we have now too.

Yes! On the downtime / family time. We have movie nights or game night almost every night! This semester one D is in night classes 2 nights and my other D works the opposite 2, so we're back to only F/Sa/Su. However, now I have nights where I'm getting one on one time with each D. So, it's still a "win"!

In general, neither of my grown kids would be around much at this point. The older one graduated college last May and would probably be looking to buy her own place by the end of this year (Fall 2021 was the plan). I'm sad that she wasn't able to earn and save what she should have. So, that is all delayed until her income gets back on track. Selfishly, I'm grateful for the extra time with them.

I hope we continue to not hug, kiss or shake hands = so unsanitary. I still have a hard time believing people did not wash their hands.
When this all started, I couldn’t understand why people were hoarding hand soap, since a bottle lasts so long. Apparently some family members were not using it enough! Now we go through at least a bottle a week in each bathroom.

That is what surprises me. I am a stay at home/homeschooling mom, and we always stayed home when sick. We missed at least 1 or 2 classes of co op due to sickness. If you had the sniffles, you stayed home. We even left, kid started coughing, and turned around and went home. I hate being sick, why on earth would I expose someone to something I know I had???
The problem is that when you aren’t homeschooling, kids are in contact with so many kids every day. When my kids were little, they had colds every other week, lasting from 7 - 10 days. Plus at least one stomach virus, case of strep, ear infections... Our rule was they had to stay home one day vomit and/or fever free, and bad colds. They were never in daycare, but I doubt parents could take of several weeks for colds. Older kids get sick a lot less because they’ve had every virus by middle school.

2 big / easy ones for me:

I think masks should always be required at the doctors office / ER / urgent care. I have always hated going in for a sprain or just for a regular check up and coming home with the flu or a cold. (Has happened to us WAY more often than not and we are immaculate hand washers / sanitizers). Why should healthy people be sitting next to someone hacking their lungs out? Seems like we should have always been doing this IMO.

Curbside everything! lol
I love sitting in my car while someone puts my Kohl's order in the trunk!

Mobile order/curbside pick up is the best invention ever. I hope they never leave.

wait in your car to see the doctor and get a call when the doctor is ready to see you. Why wait for two hours in a doctor's waiting filled with sick people

Oh that's a nice option, too! Didn't know about that!

Do you check in from your car, too (by phone?)

Masks. I see far less ugly people these days.

I agree about WDW FPs. The system where the on property guests get all of the good FPS needs to go. This system effectively pushed me to DL instead.

Social distancing. Stay out of my personal space.

Agree with so many! ~
  • waiting in your car at the doctor's (and the vet's! - my cats were so much calmer)
  • I see no need for handshaking to come back
  • Same goes for blowing out birthday candles!
  • work from home options (great for flexible schedules and great for the planet!)
  • telemedicine, when appropriate
  • more take-out options, and curbside pick-up at "regular" stores as well - At this point in my life, I prefer to actually shop, but when I had a baby/toddler, it would have been really nice!
  • cozy family time (not as the only option any more, of course! - but in a far better balance with the old "busy as sign of success" ways)

The option for online classes when we'd normally have a snow day called - it would be nice to not have 5+ days added to the school calendar for snow days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter