What do you think of "Mission Space"?

I am extremely claustrophobic but I LOVE this ride. Watching last weeks episode of The Right Stuff on Disney + made me miss this ride so much.

I have always liked it. (orange - more intense)....my wife hates it and wont ride it. The kids 13 and 19 sometimes ride it.

It is a every other trip ride for us.

I used to tell people that you could simulate it really easy.
Step 1: Empty your fridge. Put your ipad on the inside,
Step 2: Move the fridge next to a really long stairwell.
Step 3: Cram yourself in the fridge. Have someone on the outside lock and chain and door and ignore any screaming or pleading to let you out.
Step 4: Have your friend push the fridge down the stairs while your ipad shows some youtube video of stars and planets.

Congratulations., You have just ridden mission space.

Orange side makes me sick but the green side is boring. I really miss the old Horizons and wish they had just updated that ride. I think the move to more thrill rides is alienating a lot of people who can't ride them while the dark rides could be enjoyed by just about everyone. I do love the look of the outside of Mission Space, just wish the inside was better.

I will admit that this trend bothers me more and more as I get older. I used to feel that to me Universal was more an Amusement Park (despite it having some theming) and Disney was more a Theme Park (even though it had attractions). Disney's rides were never about Fast, Upside-down, Scary, or Adrenaline Pumping. If you looked at the rides traditionally in Magic Kingdom and then Epcot, they were almost universally dark rides and shows, with the exception of the 3 mountains - at least in WDW - and even those were tame in comparison to - for example - The Dragon Challenge, or when The Hulk opened in Universal.

I am not a roller coaster person. I liked Disney and I never went to Universal. MGM was a draw to me for things like the studio tours, and I never was interested in ToT or RnRC. Sadly though, it seems like times have changed and to stay relevant, Disney feels that people want more adrenaline and less relaxing in their rides. I am sure they have done studies to this effect and I am sure they are not wrong. I am just part of a dying breed of people.

Still, it saddens me.

^^ I agree many of the points you are making. When Magic Kingdom first got started, they had to make it appear different from any other amusement parks to make it worth the trip to Florida. There are many amusement parks all over the country. Rides vs. attractions & Theme park vs Amusement park was part of their marketing to appeal to a wider audience. Can recall when Epcot's 'World Showcase' first opened, it seemed like if you didn't want to eat or shop, there wasn't much else to do. Over the years, they added various rides/attractions.

Disney seems to also be linking many of the rides to recent/popular movies. What that means is over the years as the popularity of those movies fade, they will have to keep redoing those rides to something more current. It will be interesting to see how the whole 'Star Wars' section of the park or even that themed hotel will do in years to come.

For years I avoided MS because everyone said it was nauseating but finally I decided I was going to try. Truthfully, I did not find MS - either side - that bad. I don't particularly like the clostrophic 'seating' and I do maintain a 'focal point' (concentrate on top left of the screen) when the slingshot effect starts (this is the nauseating part). DH says that I am not experiencing the whole ride when I do this. I do the same thing on FoP (I stare up when the bird takes you down). I'm prone to motion sickness so I do what works. If that diminishes the ride **shrug** at least I'm not ruining the rest of my day.

So far, the most intense ride I've been on in WDW has been Expedition Everest but I'm not a roller coaster fan. I found EE worse that RnRC but I think that is because it's longer.

I absolutely love thrill rides of all kinds, never get motion sickness EVER. But the 2 times I've tried it I've nearly had legitimate panic attacks from claustrophobia and then hated the intensity of the ride. I was miserable and won't do it again.

Mission: Space has to be the worst ride on property, its Disney's Fast and Furious. If they wanted a thrill ride, that's great. Build a thrill ride. This ride is boring! Build a coaster. Get an Intamin Blitz or a woodie, or something that people will actually ride. The mind boggling part is that this hot garbage somehow cost $100M. Anybody who worked on this project needs to be fired immediately. Words can't describe how bad it is. No refurbishment. It needs to be burned to the ground.

Mission: Space has to be the worst ride on property, its Disney's Fast and Furious. If they wanted a thrill ride, that's great. Build a thrill ride. This ride is boring! Build a coaster. Get an Intamin Blitz or a woodie, or something that people will actually ride. The mind boggling part is that this hot garbage somehow cost $100M. Anybody who worked on this project needs to be fired immediately. Words can't describe how bad it is. No refurbishment. It needs to be burned to the ground.
Sounds like you have only ridden the green side, because it was a pretty good ride on the Orange Side. I liked the Green side because it was the same as the orange except no spin to simulate G's. I have not seen the new green yet. Maybe next trip. I have always been able to ride either one with no problems, but in later years I have done mostly the Green side because the line is shorter.

Have ridden both versions orange and green. My wife prefers green.
I enjoy the orange side much more. While the video is better in the new version, I miss Gary Sinese more than the better video and graphics. While I enjoy Gina Torres in many roles, she was not a good replacement for Gary Sinese.

So green side doesn’t spin at all anymore? We’re going on Monday, my 11 year old wants to do it. He was too young last time we were there, 7 years ago. But at that time green was all I could handle. The g force was my limit, didn’t care for the claustrophobic feeling, but figured I could stomach it once more. But...if there is no more spinning and g force on green side, I’m not sure I could tolerate orange and then he won’t really get to experience it fully.

I love the break I get to take in the gaming area while the kids ride it. I have ride it twice... Both levels .. not for me. Ugh.

I will admit that this trend bothers me more and more as I get older. I used to feel that to me Universal was more an Amusement Park (despite it having some theming) and Disney was more a Theme Park (even though it had attractions). Disney's rides were never about Fast, Upside-down, Scary, or Adrenaline Pumping. If you looked at the rides traditionally in Magic Kingdom and then Epcot, they were almost universally dark rides and shows, with the exception of the 3 mountains - at least in WDW - and even those were tame in comparison to - for example - The Dragon Challenge, or when The Hulk opened in Universal.

I am not a roller coaster person. I liked Disney and I never went to Universal. MGM was a draw to me for things like the studio tours, and I never was interested in ToT or RnRC. Sadly though, it seems like times have changed and to stay relevant, Disney feels that people want more adrenaline and less relaxing in their rides. I am sure they have done studies to this effect and I am sure they are not wrong. I am just part of a dying breed of people.

Still, it saddens me.

Yes, I completely agree. I suffer from extreme motion sickness so Disney's move to more and more "fast and furious" rides make it a struggle for me to be willing to pay the money anymore. I was so excited about Pandora and wanted to give FoP a try, so I took my meclizine dosage (stronger than the OTC dose) AND used a scope patch, and ya know what? I was miserable. Spent the entire ride huddled down with my eyes closed, focusing on the breeze in my face. I just can't do simulator or spinning rides at all. I'd just love it if Disney would go back to making decent, effective "dark rides" and such (let's face it, Little Mermaid doesn't cut it), but doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

This. We did green snd the instant it started I wanted to scream, the whole experience made my skin crawl and I’ve never been claustrophobic. My son (the thrill rider) thought it was boring but I’m sure he’d enjoy orange more, we just didn’t have time. He wanted more action.
I am mildly claustrophobic but this ride was traumatic. Never again.
I absolutely love thrill rides of all kinds, never get motion sickness EVER. But the 2 times I've tried it I've nearly had legitimate panic attacks from claustrophobia and then hated the intensity of the ride. I was miserable and won't do it again.

We haven’t done this ride, have always been curious about it as we walk by it in Epcot. I’ve heard it described as claustrophobic, I was just curious what makes it seem claustrophobic to riders.

That all depends on whether I end up being Commander pirate: or Engineer :guilty:. There's nothing quite as exhilarating as initiating first-stage separation! You don't get to do that unless you're Commander.

Last edited:
Love Mission Space! I don’t ride it on every trip, but when I do I’m always cautious and start with the green side. If things go fine, then I’ll get back in line and ride the orange side.

We haven’t done this ride, have always been curious about it as we walk by it in Epcot. I’ve heard it described as claustrophobic, I was just curious what makes it seem claustrophobic to riders.
[/QUOTE
When you get in the vehicle, there are 4 people in the pod. They shut the pod by bringing the front down, similar to shutting a car trunk down, and it’s literally about 18” from your face. Feels like a coffin. In all my 52 years I never even knew I was claustrophobic until this ride. Pretty traumatic.

The ride itself takes place in small pods- you sit down and the bar comes over your head (kinda like a coaster one does) and when they shut it the window (that you watch the ride happening through) is within inches of your face. Your knees are pressed up against it too. I felt closed in on all sides- it made me absolutely freak out haha. And I’m normally not someone who gets claustrophobic. It made me sick too but that could have just been anxiety. I normally don’t get motion sickness either! It definitely wasn’t for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter