What Do You Wear on the Plane?

When we go to Disney in winter we wear our coats into the airport then remove and shove into checked luggage. On the plane we wear our regular clothes, I don't dress any different. I have a cardigan I use as a pillow, take the blanket offered and hunker down for a snooze.

Definitely gonna leave my winter coat in the car! I'm thinking of a maxi dress and cardigan and then a change to something more disney inspired when I get to the hotel!

Now just to figure out shoes...

This is what I usually do--no matter how cold it is at my origination, I leave the coat at home (unless I'm traveling from one cold place to another extremely cold place, and then I still stuff my coat in my carryon so I don't have to deal with it at security). To Disney, I usually do a maxi dress, cardigan, and wedges. I usually take the wedges off at the beginning of the flight and put on fuzzy socks.

My trip to Orlando next month, however, I'll be coming from a business trip and unable to fly direct. So for this one, I'll be rocking leggings, a Lularoe Irma tunic and Sketchers in order to make my 38 minute connection in Detroit...

ALWAYS wear socks! The floor of the plane is unheated so your feet will be cold, also it helps when you take your shoes off in the TSA line. I've started carrying a shawl or a wide scraf to use as a blanket or to keep drafts off my neck.

We also leave our coats in the car. Unless we're going in the winter when we may need them. As for what I wear on the plane, I kind of bum it. Athletic type shorts and a t-shirt. It's just so much more comfortable than nice looking shorts, plus the no belt helps at security.

Maybe it's just a guy thing...I don't care what I wear on the plane.

Not a guy thing LOL- I am female and don't care at all what I wear on a plane- usually I wear a zipper up sweatshirt that I can take off and just drape over me on the plane. We are flying to and from Utah in May and our plane leaves here at 11pm so I am wearing jeans, shirt and heavy sipper up sweatshirt to use as blanket on plane if needed.

Last edited:
My trips begin in Maine in January. I always dress for comfort. All cotton 3/4 sleeve blouse, summer weight cotton long pants that can later be cuffed as capris, sneakers with no show socks, very light weight polar fleece full zip with zipper pockets. Usually I use the fleece top like a blanket or just hold it on my lap, with cell phone zipped in one zip pocket and connecting ticket in the other zip pocket.

For me it depends on the flight time... 3 hours ~verses~ 8 hours/overnight... what are plans are when we land....

I have what my husband calls "the travel dresses" its really a long skirt that I can really wear with anything... I make them so I have a couple to choose from...they have a draw string and /or some elastic in the waist band.... super comfy... I normally wear a Tank top/T-shirt and some type of button up shirt over as sort of a jacket... Its super easy to throw on a pair of shorts or add some warm leggings or tights underneath ( I hit the ladies room when we land everything is ready in the carry on) ... change the tank or T-shirt to a long sleeve t-shirt.... change the button up to a jacket or a heavy sweater ( which I will keep in the carry on if were we are going and its much colder)... shoes are super easy to change just make sure they are in the carry on...

If you are heading into the park on arrival day... make sure to have your park stuff in the carry on... Hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, ponchos... if we hit the pool or beach depending on where we are going first don't forget swim wear, cover up, goggle's in the carry on...

It depends on what our plans are after we land. If we're just headed to our parents' house, then I dress for comfort(yoga pants, jeans, t-shirt)... If we have plans right from the airport I wear what I want to be wearing for that.

If it is cold when we leave NY we just go in sweatshirts. We warm the car up before we leave and just freeze on the walk into the airport.

Usually jeans and a T-shirt, with a zip-up hoodie if it's chilly here (and space in an outside pocket of my suitcase to stash that at the airport.) I always have a change of clothes in my carry-on anyway (in case of delays, lost luggage, etc.) so if I'm too hot on arrival, I'll change.

Ok, I am WAY overthinking this but I leave Friday and I can't figure out what I want to wear on arrival day! It's snowy and cold in New York; lovely in Orlando, plus, we are hitting the parks when we arrive. I guess I can change. I also am struggling because I'm traveling ~in more style~ then usual and I'd like to look nice.

More just looking to discuss as opposed to for actual ideas, but what is everyone's go-to type of outfit on the trip over?

We live in Vermont, and when we travel to WDW in the winter, we wear our boots and winter coats over our park clothes for the ride to the airport. Once we park at the valet parking place, we put on sneakers and a hoodie over our park clothes and leave the boots and winter coats in the car. When we arrive in Orlando, we take off our hoodies (and leave them with our carryon at Bell Services if the room isn't ready) and hit the parks.

In case you are wondering, I ended up wearing: a cute Mickey tee, jeans, and my Adidas sneakers. I looked fairly stylish, fit in with the rest of my traveling party, and my outfit transitioned perfectly to the parks :)

When we go to Disney in winter we wear our coats into the airport then remove and shove into checked luggage. On the plane we wear our regular clothes, I don't dress any different. I have a cardigan I use as a pillow, take the blanket offered and hunker down for a snooze.

Last time my husband removed his coat and checked it into the luggage, the luggage never showed up for 4 days (Prague) and he very reluctantly bought himself a coat on day 3 or early day 4 (December). Yes, I realize Orlando is not the same, just saying.

Last edited:
Well the last time I was ON the plane, I wore 300 mph duct tape. Too bad the plane went 301. But fortunately, the last three hundred miles, I was able to hold onto the tail as my oxygen equipment hooked around it. If course to navigate , the crew had to tell me to kick it whichever direction they wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter