What else can Disney do to discourage buying Resale?

I could totally see them dropping the FP booking window on resale points to 45 days. Put them after on property cash guests (and full DVC members) but still before off property

I don't see them ever doing this. Having just extended FP to 60 days for certain non-Disney owned hotels, and having a 60 day window for CRO, changing the FP window to 45 days would cause an uproar that would be well (and negatively) reported in the press. Most non-timeshare people don't understand the difference between resale and direct, and the press won't get it either. Share prices of Disney could be affected as pontificators decry the decision to treat some of Disney's best customers less favorably than people staying in non-Disney hotels. Anyone involved in the decision, top to bottom, would be looking for a new job.

If Disney wanted to make direct more valuable (and thus resale less desirable), they would extend the FP window to 90 days for direct customers and offer extra fast passes for a price, just as they have for the club level customers. I could actually see them offering this. It's a benefit that comes at a price, $50 per guest in the room (and everyone in the room pays) per day. It won't be popular among DVC members because of the price, but it's a great talking point for the guides ("an exclusive direct benefit, not available to resale buyers").

I don't see them ever doing this. Having just extended FP to 60 days for certain non-Disney owned hotels, and having a 60 day window for CRO, changing the FP window to 45 days would cause an uproar that would be well (and negatively) reported in the press. Most non-timeshare people don't understand the difference between resale and direct, and the press won't get it either. Share prices of Disney could be affected as pontificators decry the decision to treat some of Disney's best customers less favorably than people staying in non-Disney hotels. Anyone involved in the decision, top to bottom, would be looking for a new job.

If Disney wanted to make direct more valuable (and thus resale less desirable), they would extend the FP window to 90 days for direct customers and offer extra fast passes for a price, just as they have for the club level customers. I could actually see them offering this. It's a benefit that comes at a price, $50 per guest in the room (and everyone in the room pays) per day. It won't be popular among DVC members because of the price, but it's a great talking point for the guides ("an exclusive direct benefit, not available to resale buyers").

Yeah, I agree that extending the window for direct and cash guests would play better in the media, and is thus more likely and easier to pull off. I just went with the “shortening” of the window for resale guests because it’s easier to explain and has the same end game (a fp booking infinitive to buy direct)

I could totally see them dropping the FP booking window on resale points to 45 days. Put them after on property cash guests (and full DVC members) but still before off property.

I would do it if I ran dvc and needed another infinitive to drive direct sales.

Does DVC have control over FP+ windows?

But their parent company does.....
Which would probably mean negotiation, and DVC would have to pay for all IT changes required to differentiate. Which would be expensive, and probably suck, because all Disney IT sucks.

Which would probably mean negotiation, and DVC would have to pay for all IT changes required to differentiate. Which would be expensive, and probably suck, because all Disney IT sucks.

It should be very easy to change IT wise, but I agree that Disney IT sucks!

Yeah, I agree that extending the window for direct and cash guests would play better in the media, and is thus more likely and easier to pull off. I just went with the “shortening” of the window for resale guests because it’s easier to explain and has the same end game (a fp booking infinitive to buy direct)

How would Disney implement this change? Give it only to new direct buyers, anybody who ever bought direct points, include those who were grandfathered in before 4/16? If you give it to too few people, you will offend others. If you give it to too many people, you devalue the 60 day window. There are more ways to lose by doing this than there are to win for Disney.

I was a vocal critic of the latest perk restrictions, but you know what, I think DVD played a blinder.
I'm a great believer that DVD cannot restrict booking windows etc or wouldn't want to as it destroys the efficacy of their product.
They want resale to hold its value. It's partly because of resale going through the roof that they have jacked up all prices.
There is no logical reason why they wouldn't want resale prices as high as possible.
So they financially modelled. They are world experts at this, data analytics and predictive modelling.
They worked out that they'll definately make more money selling less 75 point direct add ons, than 25.
And they know it won't hit the resale market. That would be bad for them.

That market has already decided it wants just the core product at the lowest price.The resale prices haven't gone down have they and they'll continue to rise. I don't rule out $230 - 250 a point now for Riviera and resale will be on its coat tails.

They'll just make more money selling 75 point add ons. A lot more. Whilst a 25 point contract is a bit but not huge profit, 75 is well worth it, without damaging resale prices.

or dining plan prices can be lowered for people buying direct I would definitely buy then . I have a resale contract now was planning on buying direct anyway but not sure if I can do it in the week that is left
Given less than 25% of DVCers buy dining plan (source; poll on a well known Facebook group that had hundreds of replies ) I'd have thought a decent discount on DDP would be good business.
If their analytics guys are doing their job properly they'll already have worked this out. It wouldn't surprise me if this happens.

I was a vocal critic of the latest perk restrictions, but you know what, I think DVD played a blinder.
I'm a great believer that DVD cannot restrict booking windows etc or wouldn't want to as it destroys the efficacy of their product.
They want resale to hold its value. It's partly because of resale going through the roof that they have jacked up all prices.
There is no logical reason why they wouldn't want resale prices as high as possible.
So they financially modelled. They are world experts at this, data analytics and predictive modelling.
They worked out that they'll definately make more money selling less 75 point direct add ons, than 25.
And they know it won't hit the resale market. That would be bad for them.

That market has already decided it wants just the core product at the lowest price.The resale prices haven't gone down have they and they'll continue to rise. I don't rule out $230 - 250 a point now for Riviera and resale will be on its coat tails.

They'll just make more money selling 75 point add ons. A lot more. Whilst a 25 point contract is a bit but not huge profit, 75 is well worth it, without damaging resale prices.
Agree 100%!

Given less than 25% of DVCers buy dining plan (source; poll on a well known Facebook group that had hundreds of replies ) I'd have thought a decent discount on DDP would be good business.
If their analytics guys are doing their job properly they'll already have worked this out. It wouldn't surprise me if this happens.
Agree with this also. Comparing how they offer "free dining" (which we all know isn't free) I could see that as an easy bridge to offer DVC'ers.

How would Disney implement this change? Give it only to new direct buyers, anybody who ever bought direct points, include those who were grandfathered in before 4/16? If you give it to too few people, you will offend others. If you give it to too many people, you devalue the 60 day window. There are more ways to lose by doing this than there are to win for Disney.

The point would be to give it to everyone who now is eligible to book at 60 days except new resale buyers.

Thus not devaluing it to anyone except new resale buyers.

Just asking technically if someone bought 200 points resale before 4/16 and someone bought 175 resale and 25 direct before 2/25 . going forward as far as what perks they have now would they be the same to Disney as direct perks go (dose that make sense )

Just asking technically if someone bought 200 points resale before 4/16 and someone bought 175 resale and 25 direct before 2/25 . going forward as far as what perks they have now would they be the same to Disney as direct perks go (dose that make sense )

The 200 before 4/16 would give them all the perks. If someone bought the 175 resale then 25 in before the deadline they would get perks, but the 175 wouldn't be eligible for disney collection cruises etc...

The data I would love to see is how some of the "woo incentives!" have served to do any of these things:
  1. Shifted demand across seasons
  2. Prompted cash stays after points were depleted
  3. Drove higher spend
Nearly every recent incentive has had potential to drive more spend, save for the Epcot Lounge. That's the exception. AP Gold and the Platinum Upgrade would be interesting to see what percentage of DVC were buying APs before, bought APs once Gold was an option, or bought/upgaded on the Platinum special.

AP purchase could cascade to more stays on campus, some of which might be cash due to being out of points.

Moonlight Magic may be causing demand shifts. If you look at dates of known MM events upcoming, availability for those particular days shows booking behavior, while there is a lot more availability on either side of those dates. There may also be cash stay impact (people out of points again).

See also, how TIW should theoretically be restricted but doesn't seem to be. It drives spending.

i understand that my question is more if Disney truly started to treat resale and direct ,different as in a tiered system would all there points pre 4/16 be treated as direct(because they have most of the perk now ) or would all there point be treated as resale on the flip side would Disney let all the resale point before the tiered system goes into effect count as direct . if you got the 25 add on before 2/25

The biggest thing they could do to discourage resale is to increase the discount on park passes. Right now, the discount really isn't that much and doesn't apply to the more casual Disney guest who doesn't go often enough/stay long enough for an AP. Having regular specials on park passes - hoppers, not APs - and using the park pass specials to target the first three quarters of the year (passes would only be good during lower demand DVC times), would kill a couple of birds with a single stone. Also may discourage renting, which would increase the hotel profitability, since they then tie ownership value back to the owner - using your own points becomes a better value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!