What is going on with SSR???

JudyTL

Mouseketeer
Hey guys have you all notice the amount of SSR on the market now? The prices are low, too. Seems like the time to buy. However, the concern is the volume of contracts out there on sale? Did people think these were short term investments? LOL. :rotfl:

What is going on????

A good majority of them are stripped. I would guess people bought the contracts with promos that included extra points...they've used them and now want to unload the contract. Also, many people may want to sell SSR and buy AKV instead.

As far as being a good time to buy, I would think there'd be some pretty great incentives coming out to buy direct from Disney since AKV is going to be the hot seller for awhile. They're going to have to do something to sell the balance of SSR.

I think people have found out that there is no distinct advantage to own SSR. Really even if you love it there I'd own elsehwere. No certain room categories to book at 11 months like BWV and AKV. You can almost always get in there at 7 months or less so no true home booking advantage there.

The only adavantage it had was the 12 extra years. Even that advantage is gone with AKV now being sold. I'll likely follow suit next year when SSR is done selling. I'll sell and buy either AKV or whatever is next. I won't increase my contract size just replace my SSR points.

Really, why own there? I'd love to hear from someone that can give me a reason to own there.

Dumbo -
Well, people might really like SSR and the close proximity to downtown disney. But I get what you are saying about "advantages." However, for someone buying now, I'd argue that there is a financial advantage to buying resale SSR vs. AKV new.
Compared to the older dvc resorts they are a good deal because they have the longer contract.
Compared to the AKV, they are a good deal by resale because they cost a lot less up front and the dues are a lot less. AKV will be a big resort and so there should be availability at 7 months, especially as owners there will use points elsewhere as well. So you can use the lower dues points at SSR to stay at AKV (or other dvc). Why pay more for AKV unless you want a certain room type every year and are going to book more than 7 months out. Then I could see paying a premium for that. But the resale SSR points will cost less up front and over time, and they are still DVC points that can book other resorts, etc. It is a smart use of money, imho.

If you are talking about why you should keep yours vs. selling and buying more, I think you have to answer that yourself and look at your own situation. Will you be loosing more than it is worth when you pay commissions, etc.? Only you will be able to decide that really.

I wonder how many people bought "sight unseen", I seem to recall a bunch of posts along those lines, and now that they've experienced it have had second thoughts?

I think people have found out that there is no distinct advantage to own SSR. Really even if you love it there I'd own elsehwere. No certain room categories to book at 11 months like BWV and AKV. You can almost always get in there at 7 months or less so no true home booking advantage there.

The only adavantage it had was the 12 extra years. Even that advantage is gone with AKV now being sold. I'll likely follow suit next year when SSR is done selling. I'll sell and buy either AKV or whatever is next. I won't increase my contract size just replace my SSR points.

Really, why own there? I'd love to hear from someone that can give me a reason to own there.
I have a several great reason to own there, the cost of the annual maintenance is lower than at any other resort. I get to pay lower maintenance fees (well over $100 a year less than some of the resorts on my meager 250 point contract), work that one out over the next 47 years or so and its a lot of money. I am staying at BWV n a standard for 5 days, then WL for 5 days then 4 days at BCV this coming summer I had no problem getting in to any of these. I only travel in Late July and August so will continue to have no problem getting in anywhere they have to offer free dining around this time to actually sell normal resort rooms. So thanks for the hospitality of letting me use your high maintenance fee resorts and feel free to stay at my low cost one. Feel free to give me a ring in around 30 years time when yours have expired, if you want to rent some points I will more than happy to oblige, I will probably have thousands by then using by saving the extra maintenance money to buy them with :laughing:

We did the tour a year before we bought. We really liked the hotel .Since we are one of those people that research everything before we make purchases like this we did not buy on the spot. (Sales people must love us:rotfl: ) We also will wait until hopefully something will go on sale. So, the F&F was great for us. We had looked into resale but buying thru Disney was a better deal as most contracts were stripped of points.

Those extra years really make a difference to us as we are a little younger and DS is only 2.

Iam Confused...Dumbo I thought you loved SSR. Didn't you sell all your points and buy them at SSR because of the lower dues?
Didn't you say that you thought SSR might one day be the flagship DVC resort?

I might be getting you mixed up with someone else though.:)

I don't really know if lower dues makes a good argument. It seems as though many of the resorts seem to "catch up" with each other at some point. So enjoy it while you can. ;)

Here we go picking on poor SSR :sad1: BC has 28 contracts for sale, SSR has 48 on the DVC resalse sight. SSR is almost 4 times the size as BC. Do the math :teacher:

There are many reasons to buy SSR, alot of it is just personal preference but I'd say the TOP reasons were the F&F promo at $86 per point, it was simply the best at the time, still available around that price via resale. The longer contract term is the big plus here. Also, even if you factor out the developer subsidies, SSR still is the lowest dues resort, although unless you have a lot of points it doesn't amount to a whole lot of difference each year. Other reasons include:

-on site spa is a plus
-ability to have 11 month booking for a Grand Villa

I don't want to spend my whole vacation at busy BWV or at VWL (MK is least favorite park). I love those resorts but it is not what I needed. SSR was a great choice for us and the extra 12 years of equity in the contract and the low maint fees were a no-brainer.

Buyers remorse could be one of the reasons.

Disclaimer-
The following is mostly opinion take it for what its worth

Financial reason
SSR cheapest way to buy in and longest available contract at the time of purchase. F&F promo price still is. After closing costs of resale, price per point almost exact during F&F on average. Most resales are stripped of points. Resale stripped contracts are not selling, to save a buck or two per point and have to wait 1+years to get any points, no fun. Contract sized to fit requirements w/no waiting and ROFR. DVC included 06 points. If for some reason I need to sell my guess/thought was with the cost rising to 101 and 104 after the promo and March, respectively, that purchasing at $86/pt gave me best possibility to recoup most of my initial investment in the next couple of years, IF I HAVE TO SELL, no plan to do so.

Comparative reason
nothing to go on yet but do not feel as though I am missing out on anything. That may change. I am sure I will get shut out trying to book 7 mos at some of the other resorts, but so will owners at that same resort 7 mos out.

Feel Good reason
My opinion remember-I like the look of the place and the location to DTD activities, especially for dining. All the Park restaurants are available to me the same as anyone else for a short bus ride.

Jim

Iam Confused...Dumbo I thought you loved SSR. Didn't you sell all your points and buy them at SSR because of the lower dues?
Didn't you say that you thought SSR might one day be the flagship DVC resort?

I might be getting you mixed up with someone else though.:)

I guess you were a little confused but you have it right for the most part.

I did sell the older resorts that I had. I kept SSR for the longer term and the possibility of it having a higher resale value down the line.

SSR could become a flagship DVC Resort. This isn't about whether Ilike SSR or not. I do like the resort, it is about a real reason to own there. Owning a specific resort needs to have some advantage.

The one point I've seen so far that makes sense is the lower dues.

Here is my .02. We initially bought at VB, and still have 175 pts. there. We did the add on when I brought parents and sis to visit, and they decided to buy their own points, and I guess I got into a "buying frenzy". :confused3

We have stayed at SSR once for a couple days, and I have to say, it was nice being away from the hustle and bustle of some of the other resorts, but in terms of being away from it all, OKW is away from more than is SSR IMO. That is not a dig on OKW, because I also enjoyed my time there a few years ago. Plus, like OKW you pretty much park at your door. I hate walking from the parking lot at BWV after a long hot day in the parks. I know there is the valet, but I personally like having access to my ride anytime I want by simply walking outside and getting in. My dad loves BWV as he loves being in the middle of everything, so that is why we usually stay there so all 13 of us can stay together. Otherwise I would prefer staying at SSR.

That said, we just bought AKV. This was after staying there two years ago on a cash ressie for two nights. We love the atmostphere, and that is the main reason for our purchase there.

Honestly, there is no resort we dislike at all. Only one we have yet to stay in is BCV, but I love them all for different reasons, and that is the beauty of DVC, choices. I say this with confidence being the owner of two other "non-disney" timeshares.

I wish it were good because I still haven't seen a good reason. As stated even if you love the place and the location that still isn't a reason to own there.

Lower dues and longer term than the older DVC resorts seems like good reasons.

What else??????

thats your opinion. but we love both the place and location, thats the only reasons we needed.

....if you love it there I'd own elsehwere.

I would say If you love it there own there.

I get your point, do not agree. The advantages to other resorts are exactly that advantages to those resorts.

Break out the hammer and lets beat this one again. Reasons to own period are subjective.
If you can afford to buy anywhere buy anywhere. If not choose what you like and buy there. If cost is a factor buy where you can afford.
JMO
Jim

I'm sellin a SSR contract becuase I bought AKV. Had AKV not come to be, I probably wouldn't sell. I do still have an SSR contract, and do love the place, but it is true that having it as a home resort doesn't give much of an advantage. Right now, it's easy to book SSR at 7 months.

Someday, that might not be true. Eventually, it might get to the point where it is hader for anyone to book outside their home as more and more members get into the system.

Dues is the argument. Location is not (even if you love it). Anyone can book any room at 7 months. Dues, contract term and perhaps initial cost are the only reasons to buy SSR. The reservation advantages at all the other resorts are valuable to most and people pay a premium for that. I'd still argue that if you like SV rooms at BWV, you'll do better on initial price and dues by buying 160 points there (which results in about the same buying power as 200 points at SSR).

SSR is going to put pressure on ROFR prices as the budget entry into DVC. The good news is SSR resales will limit future price increases but I think SSR was a short-sighted development concept.

Circular Unprovable Logic -- there is no correct answer that will work (see Aristotle's Organon) -- Just like asking a truck owner to give a reason why a Chevy truck is better than a Ford.

Personal taste requires no "reason", hence the definition - personal.

Mule

thats your opinion. but we love both the place and location, thats the only reasons we needed.

Ahhh my good friend Walt is back.:rolleyes1

I'm glad you love SSR. At least we know of one person that will be staying there regularly.

Place and location still doesn't make sense. You can get that resort and location anytime. You have no buying power with SSR.

Hey I own SSR, doesn't make it smart. Simply reflexively defending a place because you own it may not be smart either. You might want to at least consider the possibility that owning SSR doesn't make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter