What is going on with SSR???

Who wants a GV? You can get TWO, 2BR units for LESS points. I've never quite understood the draw of the GV other than bragging rights or something. OKW is a noted exception to this.

Sure you could get TWO 2 bedroom units. Some people don't want to do that, they want to stay in one place with their whole family.

Who wants a GV? You can get TWO, 2BR units for LESS points. I've never quite understood the draw of the GV other than bragging rights or something. OKW is a noted exception to this.

How's that? The OKW GV doesn't substantially differentiate from the SSR GV. Both are two stories and sleep twelve.

But yeah, a GV is pretty much a special event thing. You can sleep four more people with fewer points in 2 bedrooms. You just can't get all those people together in one unit comfortably.

But like I pointed out in my example, not all rooms are available all the time at SSR. It's just most likely to have rooms the longest due to its sheer size. For some that is great because it means they can book more last minute vacations and don't have to be joining the ranks of 11 mos 9am day-by-day phone callers.

Overall, I think what's up with SSR is combination of circumstances: the recent F&F promo led to many new or add-on purchases while keeping resales not optimal for sellers (because Disney gave the better deal during the promo), a new resort inspiring many to sell add-ons and finance a AKV contract, and perhaps the resort growing past its construction phase to garner some fans.

What always surprises me is the sustained number of older resort contracts selling at such high rates. It just makes no sense that those would be going for such rates when they have 12 fewer years on the length. BCV's prices in particular seem obscene to me.

How's that? The OKW GV doesn't substantially differentiate from the SSR GV. Both are two stories and sleep twelve.

Points - the OKW Grand Villa (like most things at OKW) is an incredible value. The SSR GVs aren't bad, the BWV GVs makes my jaw twitchy just thinking about them.

That there is all this debate! Truth of the matter is we are all pretty priviledged to own at all and as DVC members we all have essentially the same program. Some of us have more than others but, at their core, they are the same.

There are a lot of people buying SSR because that's what Disney is selling now and that is who they want to buy from.

I will pitch my tent in Camp ReallyDunnaMatta where I will daydream about my next WDW vacation no matter where I stay.

As far as I am concerned there is no real difference between any of the resorts. Although I really do like the quite pool by Congress Park.

Come May you get a Grand Villa for Christmas week. If you can do that then I will say that yes, you have proven that anyone can book any room at 7 months.

IF SSR sells out for a date it's the last resort to sell out. What will be the impact of the last buildings coming on line to available inventory in the system? That's right, even more idle capacity at SSR and higher occupancy elsewhere. Actually, I'd be willing to bet I could get one that week. Too many points to be a good value in my view.

Judytl,I did go through the resale boards and there 48 SSR for resale, but there are also 28 BC for resale. So what does that mean? SSR is close to 4 X's the size of BC yet BC has 28 resales posted.So am I to assume that if BC were the same size as SSR there would be 112 resales?

Yes but the BCV's are for sale at around the price DVC sells them. How many SSR contracts are getting $91? None. The BCV contracts for sale are making money for their owners. SSR contracts are not.

For me, an SSR add on was made in addition to my existing contracts at BWV and BCV. I wanted another add-on and wanted the best deal I could get (a few days ago...) For me it was SSR. I got 150 additional points for $91 per, save money on dues and since my use year is MArch I got 2006 points with no banking restrictions so I essentially got $600 bucks worth od points for free...

Works for me...

Yes but the BCV's are for sale at around the price DVC sells them. How many SSR contracts are getting $91? None. The BCV contracts for sale are making money for their owners. SSR contracts are not.
I would guess, no factual proof, that any price increases at other DVC locations historically was followed by a market lag in resale price of that property contract.

I would venture to guess that SSR will start to increase in price as the DVC price increases. Not in perpetuity but to that point of decline that most anticipate will come about as contracts age. If it does not naturally progress in that direction due to supply and demand, ROFR will provide Disney an excellent opportunity to repurchase and resell inventory for a second round of profit on the same inventory. The pressure of ROFR being exercised will cause resale purchasers to begin to offer more, maybe not quite current selling, in order to still get a deal. That pressure may increase price.

Bottom line, When making a purchase in life buy at a price you are comfortable paying, and live with the decisions you make.

Any equity that remains in my contract if I sell is a bonus. It offsets the price I paid initially. Price increase is a fantastic bonus, if I sell, and may offer me an opportunity to increase my ownership amount or purchase a newer contract and extend my enjoyment for years to come for the same $$ I put in initially.

SSR for $86/pt =:) Jim

My more than $.02

That there is all this debate! Truth of the matter is we are all pretty priviledged to own at all and as DVC members we all have essentially the same program. Some of us have more than others but, at their core, they are the same.

There are a lot of people buying SSR because that's what Disney is selling now and that is who they want to buy from.

I will pitch my tent in Camp ReallyDunnaMatta where I will daydream about my next WDW vacation no matter where I stay.

I am so with you. I feel so grateful that the stars lined up in a way that allows me to be a member of DVC. I've stayed at OKW, VB, HHI and SSR and have LOVED every trip. If I'm at a DVC resort, I'm happy. As soon as I get home from one trip, I start thinking about the next one!!

I agree. I will just about stay anywhere (on property!) to be at WDW or DLR. Yes, I want to stay at a nice hotel and spend my money wisely, but if it comes down to staying at the All-Stars or not going at all I would definately go with the former before the latter. That's just how much I love Disney.

I agre with most of what you've posted here. I would say the BCV to SSR isn't a fair comparison. We are talking about resorts that are what 8 years or so apart in age. 8 years from now SSR wil make money for owners that bought in now or before. I paid $84 for SSR. I'll probably be able to cash out ahead in the next 3-5 years.

Time will tell.

What else do you really need?

How about some booking advantage? How about a resort that isn't going to have a feature pool that is packed to the gills because they expanded thew rersort and never expanded the main pool? How about DVC stops selling SSR as a means to stay elsewhere? How about poolside food or a direct tie to a theme park?

Seriously this is just reaching but I still haven't seen a good reason to own there. OKW has lower points/largeer rooms. BCV has SAB and direct ties to Epcot/MGM; BWV has direct ties to Epcot/MGM and has the BW right there; VWL has direct access to a WDW Deluxe resort and direct access to a lake and MK.

What exactly does SSR have that makes it a great place to own? You have no direct access to a theme park, you have no true reason to need the 11 month priority to book there, no special features that set it apart, it has relatively high points and small rooms.

Seriously how can anyone dispute this? Really all it has is 12 extra years, that is it.:teacher:

As far as I am concerned there is no real difference between any of the resorts. Although I really do like the quite pool by Congress Park.

Lucky you! You can be happy owning any resort and you can book relatively late and not be disappointed.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case for everyone. Some people have definate preferences or specific plans. If you've promised your 10 year old SAB, its going to be disappointing to end up at any resort other than BCV. If your five year old is facinated at the zoo, you'll be disappointed if you can't book VAK.

Really, why own there? I'd love to hear from someone that can give me a reason to own there.

If we did would you truly listen and if you listen, would it change anything, I seriously doubt it.

If we did would you truly listen and if you listen, would it change anything, I seriously doubt it.

Sure I'd listen.

Wouldn't change that I think this resort is the least desirable in the system but I'd love to have something to get excited about with SSR.

Would you recommend a family stay at SSR for there first WDW visit? I know I wouldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter