"What Not to Say"

meowmarie

DIS Veteran
In the tradition of one of my fave shows, "What Not to Wear," I decided to make this thread for new DIS'ers. There are some hot button issues guaranteed to cause drama on the forums.

I'm fairly new myself and don't consider myself an expert, but I've witnessed many the argument over something someone said, sometimes innocently. Now I'm not starting this thread to re-hash any of these issues, but just as a head's up to all you newcomers, and as a kind of laugh for the old-timers. For all you old-timers, please add more! :) Again this is just for fun, no ill-will intended.

1. Taking your children out of school for a vacation
2. STROLLERS including...
a) older children in strollers
b) bringing strollers on buses
3. SCOOTERS including...
a) People who seem able bodied in scooters
b) Pooh sized/shaped people in scooters
4. Putting your feet in the fountains! (just don't do it!)
5. Saying the Pop Warner kids will ruin your trip
6. Saying adults and/or people without kids shouldn't ride Dumbo (particularly when the lines are long)
7. Using Fast Passes days/months/years past expiration
8. Using refillable resort mugs days/months/years from purchase

I know there are more, anyone? :)

I've been reading here for a while too.

How about pool hopping?

Or parking at one of the resorts to avoid the parking fees at the parks?

Even though your child turned 3 a few weeks before your trip, saying that they are still 2 to avoid paying for a ticket for them.

Yes those are great! Whenever you ask about something that is skirting the rules, you're gonna hear about it. You know you shouldn't do it, if you're gonna do it anyways I wouldn't come here and brag lol.

Well, I try to be sympathetic to all newbies. Please take this list a bit tongue-in-cheek. Generally, we aren't flaming you - just the topic - and it may have little to do with your actual question than the history of prior threads.

I would say in general, don't take offense if your thread topic hits a nerve with some folks.

Likewise, don't feel bad if your thread doesn't generate many takers. Sometimes it's best if your thread doesn't go viral.

MOST important if you see this guy popcorn:: it doesn't mean we dislike you - it's just a shorthand way of saying you've touched on a sensative topic here on the DIS.

Other topics that are likely to generate heated debates:
letting kids hang out alone at WDW, :rolleyes1
wheelies,
coolers with wheels in the parks,
suggesting that there might be a financial class differences between different folks at WDW, or for that matter anywhere in America, but espcially at the various Disney resort levels (value/mods/deluxes)
free dining (but still feel free to ask anyhow)
love bugs
Brazilian tour groups
taking photos that might include someone else's child
anything relating to child predators
flash photos and using cell phones on rides
making multiple ADR's or any ADR's that you don't plan to attend
having to make ADR's at 180 days
complaints of WDW staff
towel animals, esp if you expected them
to tip housekeeping or not, and HOW much to tip them
how much to tip at table service dining, but especially how much ot tip at BUFFETS (Disney makes a suggestion on the bottom of your bill)
Putting more than the listed number of guests in a room
Cooking in your room - esp crock pots going in an unattended room
ooh - one more on strollers/scooters - using them as battering rams vs. being able to stop them for folks who step right in front of one.

Remember also that religion and politics are not allowed onthe DIS. I'm gathering because those topics got too heated, and are not really about WDW.

Well, I try to be sympathetic to all newbies. Please take this list a bit tongue-in-cheek. Generally, we aren't flaming you - just the topic - and it may have little to do with your actual question than the history of prior threads.

I would say in general, don't take offense if your thread topic hits a nerve with some folks.

Likewise, don't feel bad if your thread doesn't generate many takers. Sometimes it's best if your thread doesn't go viral.

MOST important if you see this guy popcorn:: it doesn't mean we dislike you - it's just a shorthand way of saying you've touched on a sensative topic here on the DIS.

Other topics that are likely to generate heated debates:
letting kids hang out alone at WDW, :rolleyes1
wheelies,
coolers with wheels in the parks,
suggesting that there might be a financial class differences between different folks at WDW, or for that matter anywhere in America, but espcially at the various Disney resort levels (value/mods/deluxes)
free dining (but still feel free to ask anyhow)
love bugs
Brazilian tour groups
taking photos that might include someone else's child
anything relating to child predators
flash photos and using cell phones on rides
making multiple ADR's or any ADR's that you don't plan to attend
having to make ADR's at 180 days
complaints of WDW staff
towel animals, esp if you expected them
to tip housekeeping or not, and HOW much to tip them
how much to tip at table service dining, but especially how much ot tip at BUFFETS (Disney makes a suggestion on the bottom of your bill)
Putting more than the listed number of guests in a room
Cooking in your room - esp crock pots going in an unattended room
ooh - one more on strollers/scooters - using them as battering rams vs. being able to stop them for folks who step right in front of one.

Remember also that religion and politics are not allowed onthe DIS. I'm gathering because those topics got too heated, and are not really about WDW.

Oh my, I think you have summed up every locked thread I have seen on here. :laughing:

I'll have to keep these in mind when I start a thread.

Well now you've piqued my curiosity as to what the prevailing board opinion is on these topics!! I suppose I'll find out over time, though. :)

Well now you've piqued my curiosity as to what the prevailing board opinion is on these topics!! I suppose I'll find out over time, though. :)

Haha, well on most of these topics the opinions vary widely from one end of the spectrum to the other, that's the problem. We are a nice, yet spirited group here. Most people are not shy on voicing their opinions! I think the one thing most of us all agree on is that Cinderella's fountain is NOT the place for washing your feet (or your children's feet) off on a hot day!

The scooter thing is a pretty big one though, especially when someone says something like "The able bodied people took all the scooters." That will start a riot. You never know why someone is using a scooter, you can't always tell from the outside.

I love this thread! It seems no matter what topic you click under there are always "fights" going on especially about tipping on the international boards. I love how you went over how they get started as well!:rotfl2:

New here and just want to thank you for the heads up. I've been on numerous message boards and still frequent a few so I know how some innocent comment can turn into a major arguement. Glad I can avoid that now!:thumbsup2

The op mentioned using old fastpasses that are days old, etc. The really heated debate is over using them the same day, but after the posted hour.

Compared to other boards I've seen, I think this one is pretty well moderated. The moderators do a FANTASTIC job here.

I haven't read all of this, but this is kind of a neat thread on the subject of civility here on the DIS.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2262649

There are LOTS of really interesting threads on the DIS that are very positive. Even many of the ones that get heated are relatively healthy debates by the majority of folks posting. I've gained much food for thought about WHY some other folks hold the opinions they do. I give our founders much kudos for holding the idea of 'government with debate' as essential.

One more tidbit: a 'troll' is someone who intentionally creates a new identity to post things that will stir up trouble. Typically they have a low number of postings, AND word their question in a particularly troubling manner. Most newbies clearly ask questions in a manner that clearly shows lack of experience, not mailciousness. Trolls often are quick to break the rules, too - but they often get quickly booted. There are a few icons which apply to trolls.:stir::furious::darth: Those are the ones I quickly found.

As for prevailing opinions, well often the folks who are proclaimning the rules are the loudest. I mean, once you find out that some folks think what your doing is a rule violation - then there are usually less folks who are going to speak up and say that they openly violate said rule (even though they may privately taking notes on how to do such a thing).

Ooh, one more hot topic - line cutting- or anything that might be a less than above-the-board way to bypass lines.

Oooh, one more slightly touchy topic - (but don't worry it gets asked all the time anyhow) - parades. How to stake out your spot, folks who try to cut in front of you (even young kids), how long before the parade you need to stake out your spot, how to defend you viewing spot, folks putting kids on their shoulders, folks who were intially sitting but decide to stand to watch the parade, etc.

meowmarie and mickeyluv'r,
I've seen many of the heated debates you have mentioned. Although some of them do have merit.
I can't believe that you both forgot to mention.........Pool Hopping! :eek: (Unless I missed it)....

Oh yes I totally agree about some of the arguments having merit, not trying to downplay anyone's feelings. I just see newbies sometimes asking something or saying something and getting jumped all over or having their thread turned into a free for all. And it seems like I've seen a lot of the same arguments a LOT lately :laughing: But anyways i can't believe I forgot pool hopping too, luckily JOCAmom remembered!

In the tradition of one of my fave shows, "What Not to Wear," I decided to make this thread for new DIS'ers lol. Most of the tips in this particular forum are for newcomers to WDW, but these tips are for newcomers to the boards :)

4. Putting your feet in the fountains! (just don't do it!) :rotfl:

I know there are more, anyone? :)

Hummmmm, that sounds refreshing.............popcorn::

How about these..................
Favorite resort
Which resort is the best
Food at Disney is crap
Taking misbehaving kids to signature restaurants and ordering hotdogs
(sorry couldn't resist)
Worst park
DDP
Touring plans
Line cutters
DME for luggage only
Disney buses
Making ADR's so one can stay in a park during MNSSHP (so one can try to stay at the party w/o paying)

To just name a few……….. popcorn::

popcorn::
Taking misbehaving kids to signature restaurants and ordering hotdogs
(sorry couldn't resist)
QUOTE]

Oh there are a number of different takes on this one. Just about any thread that comments on parenting styles - or ones that lead to commenting on parenting styles. Lots of threads on WHAT constitutes a misbehaving child.

Along the same lines are threads wishing for more child-free locations in WDW: a restaurant, a resort. (Currently Victoria and Alberts does not allow kids under a certain age. I haven't checked recently, but the Dolphin experimented a 'child free' section in one of its restaurants.)

Y'know, you need a license to drive a car, or operate heavy machinery, but kids don't come with instruction manuals. Maybe they should, or at least some form of educational opportunity for parenting 101.

Hi,
I'm sure I'm asking a question that is answered numerous times elsewhere (which you can add to the growing list here)...

How do I post to certain boards? Where can I find the 'rules'?

I've read misc. topics on this board many times as a visitor, but now that I've registered and have an I.D., I'm finding that I'm not 'allowed' to post to the 'Fairy Godmother' thread in the Family section, which is the whole reason I finally registered.

Can you please help me?? I'd love to find a fairy godmother and would also love to BE one when we get there.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I've been insanely planning our September 2009 trip to Disney for ~8 months now. We leave in 28 days.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is about getting kids onto rides who are a fraction of an inch too short for the height requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter