"What Not to Say"

Has anyone mentioned the topic of breastfeeding in the parks? I suspect that would fuel a debate leading to a locked thread ......! (I hope someone has mentioned it, otherwise this little post would be raising the issue .... :scared1:) By the way, I mention this as something NOT to discuss. The opening question was not a suggestion for topic, please! :lmao:

Hello! I also am new to the DIS boards, although I'm a veteran of message boards ^_^

Thanks for everyone's advice on what not to bring up - I've gone to Disney twice (once when I was 3, which I don't remember, and then at 17 when I graduated high school ^_^ ) so I'm actually quite the n00b for WDW itself! I joined this forum because of the loads of info it provides, the most wonderful people (I have yet to see an argument!) & to keep me focused on my dream: becoming a Disney Princess (or any Character performer really) ^_^

But, to keep this post on topic, I do have a question. What are towel animals? I'm assuming it's folding a towel in a shape of an animal (like balloon animals and napkin designs). I guess my question is, how is this a confrontational topic? (If you'd prefer to PM me I'd understand ^_^ )

General Thank you to everyone! I'm not used to people being so kind and supportive of one another! I guess it's the magic of Disney :goodvibes

You're correct about what towel animals are - towels folded to resemble animals. Housekeepers sometimes make them and put them in the rooms they've cleaned and what makes the topic controversial is that some people seem to think that getting them is a given, and are very disappointed when they don't. The thing though is that not all housekeepers know how to make them (my understanding is that they have to take classes on their own time to learn how), and with all the rooms they have to clean I'm really surprised that they have time to make them at all. (Just for the record, I've gotten them twice in 10 trips.)

I haven't read the entire thread, but I remember a few months ago, a huge debate over whether you use your hand or your foot to flush a toilet. That was a fun one!

Welcome Newbies! I'm still kinda new myself. Though I've been a member for awhile I don't post often, just do a lot of reading and learning on the boards. :surfweb:

Another heated debate I remember coming across was regarding the souvenir cups and sharing them with family members. Who knew one topic could get so heated!

Thanks to all for this list. As a newbie, it doesn't scare me off, it makes me more comfortable! I've been a lurker for awhile, in part because I didn't want to get 'jumped on." However, I will say this is one of the most supportive online communities I've come across. Knowing what the established hot button items are just saves us newbies from opening up a can of worms. Thanks again!

I was amazed that "Smoking" in any form, anywhere from the parks to the resorts hadn't been mentioned yet, although on a board I frequent it is a banned topic because it is so heated.

I haven't seen anyone bring up parents putting children on shoulders as soon as the parade/fireworks/rope-drop/show starts, regardless of how long the people have been standing behind them wanting to see the event also. :sad2:

I know of a couple of "doozies" I don't see here yet - dress codes in restaurants - especially on the disney cruise board - I have seen people go Ku-razy about that one. Especially since it is such a non-issue in real life.

Since I am now planning a WDW trip, I was tempted to ask about whether to take my family during gay days, but once I started searching and saw the previous posts, wisely decided not to. (Not to ask , still undecided about whether to take them at that time). Please don't anyone misunderstand me. It is not the Gay days that worry me as much as the debates they seem to start. Don't want to start ANY ugly debate here. If you want to know what I mean, just search. :hippie:

Welcome newbies!

I have a very low post count although I am a daily reader. This is quite an old thread to resurrect. I have been laughing out loud because the items posted are hot topics on this board. Hopefully, no one is scared away by these posts.... because they are all true :lmao: scary, but true

Here's a couple.

Saving tables at counter service when you don't have your food yet.
Cheerleaders!
Not giving up your seat on a very crowded bus for-elderly, women, children, parents holding sleeping babies, etc.
Using lounge chairs at the water parks to store your stuff and never actually using the chairs.

Well Noob here just did something that was mentioned here b/c I forgot to sub to a topic..... :goodvibes I belong to other msg boards and the subbing comes automatically. You actually have to unsub if you don't want replies, so this was new to me.
And I am not familiar w/the term 'pool hopping'. Is that referring to people hopping into pools and splashing people or do people actually go to other resorts they are not staying at and use a pool? :confused: Sorry, so confuzzled by this term! :lmao:

Pool hopping is using the pool at a resort you are not registered.

My newbie question, what is subscribing and bumping? I've lurked for quite a while before jumping on board. This is the only message board I have ever visited and luckily the nicest. Everyone really is helpful and caring which is why certain topic can push their buttons.:surfweb:

Pool hopping is using the pool at a resort you are not registered.

My newbie question, what is subscribing and bumping? I've lurked for quite a while before jumping on board. This is the only message board I have ever visited and luckily the nicest. Everyone really is helpful and caring which is why certain topic can push their buttons.:surfweb:

If you subscribe to a thread, it will show up in a list when you're logged in and click the "User CP" on the top, at the left. This makes it easier to go back to threads you want to follow. Generally (by default unless you change the setting) if you post on a thread you'll automatically subscribe to it. Some people don't realize you can also subscribe without posting, under thread tools, so they post the word "subscribing" to subscribe.

Posting the owrd "Bump" is just a way to bring a thread to the "top" of all the other threads on that particular forum.

HTH (hope this helps)

I'm brand new, and this thread has been both educational and entertaining. :laughing:

(And, uh, just to clarify, it's okay to take my stroller on the bus as long as it's folded up, right?)

I'm a brand new member here, but not to message boards in general (been a very active member of a breast cancer support board for several years.) Anyway, I haven't had a need to post yet because I know how to use the search feature, and have been able to find all of the answers I needed for our first family trip to Disney World. This will be my husband's and my 1st trip since we were teens (my last time was my high school senior trip, his was with his parents.) We are bringing our three kids and our moms - my mom is staying with us in a family suite at All Stars Music, and my MIL is staying in her own room because she needs a real bed due to back problems.

Anyway, as I said, I was able to answer all my own questions by using the search feature (where, by the way, I learned that pool hopping is not allwoed, something I never would have guessed otherwise since most resorts I have stayed at allow guests to use the facilities at their sister resorts. BTW, this puts a huge wrench in my plan to have lunch at Whispering Canyon, take the kids swimming, then go to the campfire sing-a-long. As we will have a rental car, we can obviously drive back to our resort to swim; it just would have been more convenient to use the pool at Wilderness Lodge. Oh well, no biggie.)

Anyway, my reason for writing... I'm wondering why there are topics here that are taboo. I, as an active member at another message board, understand how to use the search feature and thus wouldn't waste time asking a question that has already been asked. However, I am pretty sure that a lot of people asking these taboo questions are not just newbies here, but newbies to message boards in general, and may not know how to use the search feature (or even that it exists.) Isn't one of the main purposes of this board to give info to people that have questions about their upcoming vacation?

Anyway, it was just something I was wondering as I read through this thread (which, by the way, I found by searching for "pool hopping" info!) :laughing:

the search feature did not work well until recently (past month or so) when the boards had an upgrade. I don't post a lot either because I can usually find an answer in the first 2 pages of any particular sub board or in the sticky's at the top of the board. That's cause the same questions are asked over and over again. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter