What to do on off days around Disney

Leigh Bacon

Earning My Ears
My hubby and I are finally headed to WDW this November to celebrate our Empty Nest (we have had to delay since 2020), and we are older so we are taking two days during our visit to rest and not go to a park. But we want to do a few fun things, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions about things to do around the World. We are already planning on visiting Downtown Disney (yes I know it's called Disney Springs, but I'm old school. ;) ) Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide!

My hubby and I are finally headed to WDW this November to celebrate our Empty Nest (we have had to delay since 2020), and we are older so we are taking two days during our visit to rest and not go to a park. But we want to do a few fun things, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions about things to do around the World. We are already planning on visiting Downtown Disney (yes I know it's called Disney Springs, but I'm old school. ;) ) Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide!
I love to use Disney transportation to explore all the hotels, visit the food courts, gift shops and lobbies.

Some favorite things we do (we're not pool people)

Resort hopping on the monorail
Hoop de Doo (we like the 4 p.m. show on an off day because we can reset and get up early for the parks the next day and it's not a late night out)
Skyliner resort hopping (quick serve at Riviera is good or we head over to the Boardwalk area)
Mini Golf

Haven't tried this but it's on my radar as a future possibility. My adult son and I tried to do it but they were booked (they only have it on Saturday/Sunday at 1:30, back when we tried it was only once a week in that timeframe)
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/coronado-springs-resort/sangria-university/

Wife and I will be there early Oct. by ourselves for 3 days before the full band of ramblin hooligans (our kids) come to town. We arrive on Monday afternoon and have a dinner at Yachtsman planned with drinks afterward at Jellyrolls. The next day we will be going to Disney Springs during the day and doing a Gondola hotel crawl in the evening night. Planned stops are CBR, Riv, and the other side of the Boardwalk. Then the last open day we plan on Disney Springs in the morning, then a monorail hotel crawl in the evening. We do drink, so most of these stops will be at lounges and of course time for Mrs. Ally to do some shopping at the stores. We don't go fast anymore. We just take our time. Calm evenings are even more fun for us than back in the day when we were going 200 mph.

Enjoy your time together. Hope you find something that fills your spare time.

DH and I are doing the same during Christmas week because the parks will probably be crazy. We will be spending a lot of time at Disney Springs which we hardly ever do and I've always wanted to do the Balloon ride. So definitely considering...🤔 if I can only talk DH into it.

I'll chime in with the others and recommend resort hopping. Depending on your timing in November, some of the holiday decorations may be up, and I love all the gingerbread displays. The monorail crawl is classic, but the skyliner crawl is an excellent new addition. Either are fairly accessible from any resort if you just take the bus to MK for monorail, and HS to start skyliner.

Also, I love off days to eat at stellar resort restaurants that aren't as easily accessible by transportation. Boma & Jiko at AKL, Toledo/Dahlia Lounge & Three Bridges at Coronado Springs, and I've never been but always hear good things about the Scat Cat Club at POFQ on jazz nights.

One of my favorite things to do during an off day is to go to Discovery Cove.* It's a day resort where you can go swimming with fish and rays in a salt water coral reef, fresh water lazy river, spend time with birds an aviary, and swim with dolphins (at an extra cost). Breakfast, lunch, unlimited beer and wine are included in the price, and you can add unlimited cocktails to that for $40.

The hours are generally from 7AM - 4PM, so we usually go to Discovery Cove during the day, then go home, shower, and then go to dinner at Disney Springs in the evening.

*This is not an ad, I just love it lol

I don't know what others do but I use a car (rented or my own) and go to some of the places off the Disney Property. Maybe a different theme park or a place like The Kennedy Space Ctr (about 60 miles away). I love to explore the areas that I am in and I cannot do that if I am shackled by voluntary imprisonment at the Disney confine!

If you like gardens and have a car, there are two beautiful gardens within reasonable driving distance, Bok Sanctuary and Harry P. Leu Gardens.

One of my favorite things to do during an off day is to go to Discovery Cove.* It's a day resort where you can go swimming with fish and rays in a salt water coral reef, fresh water lazy river, spend time with birds an aviary, and swim with dolphins (at an extra cost). Breakfast, lunch, unlimited beer and wine are included in the price, and you can add unlimited cocktails to that for $40.
This sounds amazing! I have to look into this for some other time.

If I'm at a Disney hotel, I usually just spend the day at the pool, try some drinks from the pool bar, eat lunch, and go resort hopping.

Same as most, I often travel around the various resorts, have a drink at a bar, grab a meal, walk the grounds.

I'm a big fan of boats, so whenever possible, I opt for boat transportation over busses - so I'll take boats to anywhere just for the ride and relaxation. Love the boats from Port Orleans to Disney Springs, Epcot area boat between DHS and Epcot, the Bay Lake boats out to the campgrounds from MK or Poly & Grand Floridian. Disney Springs is great for restaurants and bars, and plenty of spots for live music.

Like others I enjoy resort hopping. If you’ll be driving I recommend you make a dining reservation at any of the more popular resorts that you’d like to visit. This guarantees you parking.

DW and I made many adult only on site trips to WDW and always planned for a rest day or two depending on the length of the trip.

The most important part of the day was having a slow start, taking a break from the rush to rope drop. After we were up and going we would go find a leisurely late breakfast/brunch.

Somewhere in the day we would typically take our car and go find a grocery store to replenish snacks/drinks/supplies for the room. Sometimes we would include a stop at Disney Springs.

Resort hopping was our other primary rest day activity. We especially liked visiting the AK Lodge. Since many of our on site trips were in early December we would also try and stop by the GF.

Finally, since our on site stays were at the BWI we would end the day with a casual wander over to the World Showcase.

I will also second a suggestion by @rangerxenos for Bok Tower Gardens. We went there a number of times during our off site visits to the area. It is a bit of a drive south but you get to see some of the "real" Florida away from the tourist area.

The hours are generally from 7AM - 4PM, so we usually go to Discovery Cove during the day, then go home, shower, and then go to dinner at Disney Springs in the evening.

*This is not an ad, I just love it lol
If you plan on doing Discovery Cove for about $60 more you can add a package that gives two weeks admission to Seaworld and Aquatica

Idk if I'd suggest Bok Tower. I mean it's very nice, but omg the traffic to get there. (both the I4 traffic and US27 traffic)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter