• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do the first day at a hotel?

Bell Services will hold your luggage while you go off to the parks.

Depending on when we arrive, if our room isn't ready, we tend to pack our bathing suits in a carry on (or having them easily accessible) so we can enjoy the pool. In years past we have then taken some time to organize the room (unpack, put our park bags together, etc) and then we are off to Disney Springs for a meal, usually Raglan Road and a bit of shopping.

I second this schedule, except we typically visit Rainforest Cafe.

We always arrive mid morning but never go to a park that day. We usually spend the afternoon at DS until we get our room ready notification, then go settle in and head back to DS for supper and nighttime atmosphere. However, my wife and daughter will tell you I have been known to spend the entire afternoon at the Hole in the Wall and just meet them for supper pirate: :rolleyes1 (They are big girls now and can "settle in" at the hotel with out me I figure). We do stay the first half of most trips at OKW so the boat to DS makes us very flexible. Flexible is great for us older travelers. :thumbsup2 Check out day is usually a big breakfast (Chef Mickey's) to fill us up before traveling home. Once again, never a park.

We fly in mid day, go to resort and check in, I decorate windows and doors, unpack and settle in. Then we do a table service dinner at another resort just to get out of the room and explore a bit. We do park days in the middle, normally 1 day staying at the resort for some rest. Then check out day we like to fly out around 11 am or so, getting home in the evening so we can get ready for work the next day. Usually we do a Monday arrival, Sunday departure and 4-5 days in the park depending on time of year. We like this schedule, we are 2 childless millennials and it works best for us.
What is this decorating door and window concept? I need to know!! Super intrigued after reading this...

For our upcoming stay which is an 9 day/8 night stay, we have 7 days of tickets as we rarely get down early enough to make it to a park and I don't like going to a park on departure day as I'm an anxious basket case. If for whatever reason we do get down early enough to go to a park, we'll add a day on to the tickets.

Our plan is to land, get to the hotel, get into the room if available. If it's not available, we'll dump the luggage at guest services, grab something to eat and then hang out by the pool.

In general, if my travel plans are such that I could be walking into a park before noon, I go to a park on my first day. If I’m arriving later in the day, say after 2pm, I don’t plan on going to a park my first day. If flying, you should estimate two hours from arriving at MCO to walking through turnstiles at a park. Could be a little over an hour, could be 2.5 hours in reality. Longer than that means you had some type of troubles like luggage or rental car problem or you stopped at a store on your way.

On my last day, I nearly always book a flight leaving 8pm of later and hence, I go to a park until about 4-5 hours before flight time. For me, about 5 hours is the minimum I consider okay in terms of using a park day ticket on a longer ticket like 8 days. If leaving more like 2 pm, I might plan a fun breakfast, but probably wouldn’t head to a park that day.

You might check flight times from your closest airport now just to see what might be available to give you an idea about arrival/departure if you fly. It’s hard to judge what is going to be most cost effective in August 2022. For me in the past, flying and renting a car was cheaper than driving, but rental car prices are unpredictable that far in advance right now.

We typically stay 11 nights and 12 days. We book a flight departing our airport around 10:30 or so, which places us getting to the resort around 2pm - 2:30 pm. We check into the hotel and typically grab a quick bite for a late lunch/snack at the resort CS. We jump on a bus over to HS and start riding the Skyliner around and do a little resort hopping. Maybe ride the friendship boats around a bit or grab a bus from HS to swing by the monorail resorts and check them out as well. Our go to dinner spot on our first night is Boathouse, so we typically have reservations around 7 or 8 and then call it a day and turn in for the night. Lots to do. Going over to Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness via the boat from MK after riding the monorail is something we've done as well. We've stopped at the Poly and spent some time at Trader Sam's Grotto, grabbed a Dole Whip at the Poly. Lots to do as others have mentioned or just chill at the resort.
We do take Saturday off mid week knowing it is usually packed on Saturdays and catch up on some missed sleep. Ha It's nice to get a refresh day after 3 or 4 days even, so I you can afford it I recommend that. We always book the latest flight home and go to the parks on our departure day.

We live in AZ and even when we get on a 7 am-departing plane, we always end up arriving in Orlando in the 3-4 pm hour Eastern time. So we don't go to a park on arrival day. And because I'm always stressed out about flight delays, I never make an ADR for arrival day either.

What we HAVE done, though, is go to a park on our departure day...always MK. Spend a few hours there in the morning, then go back to the hotel, get our bags, and head to Tragical Express for the sad ride to the airport.

If I have a 7+ day ticket I’d have no problem burning a day to spend even just a few late hours at a park. Hit a couple of rides, have a snack and a beverage or two and watch the nighttime show.

We only have a 3 hour drive to Orlando and I generally aim to get there by noon-ish. Our first day is always Disney Springs, lunch somewhere in DS, and hang walk around and explore until we can check in the hotel, then unpack, hotel exploration, and an easy dinner either at the hotel or delivered.

What are the ages of your party? Any small kids?

Many moons ago we would fly in (or drive in) a day or two early and hang out with family in the area. We would wake up well rested then head to WDW around 9 am and we only had a 30 minute drive on check in day, leave our bags at the resort and head to MK. This is when the kids were under 10 years old. When they were that young there was no way we would hit a park on arrival day if we were flying in that day or driving in from out of state that day.

Our last few trips (kids in their teens) we have done 6 am flights, land around 8ish am, hit a park by 9-10 am and stay until close. We get park tickets for everyday of the trip so 9-10 day hoppers depending on if it's 8-9 night trips. Well last trip this plan backfired on me. DD was all for doing AM EMH the next day after closing down MK but we were thisclose from a teenage meltdown in the park. We had to abort mission and take a nap and that was after Starbucks.

Next trip I'm thinking of flying out in the afternoon, unpacking at the resort, getting some dinner and MAYBE going into MK to watch the fireworks but not doing a whole day in the park after being up at 3 am. I'm too old for this now. And my kid likes her sleep. I've asked her what she would like to do next trip and she said she really wants to hit a park on arrival day and spend the day in MK but she remembers last trip but she would also like to take a later flight and relaxing and having a nice dinner on arrival day. She said it's up to me and she'll be happy with whatever I choose.

We will still get the latest flight home and go to a park on departure day.

What is this decorating door and window concept? I need to know!! Super intrigued after reading this...

Oh this is basically my favorite part of "planning"! There are some threads on the boards in various places with examples. But I make window displays, usually out of paper cut outs, and other crafting supplies with themes for each trip. Holidays, life events, or seasons. And I decorate the resort windows and doors using suction cups, string or fishing line, magnets, nothing sticky. I also use other props like battery operated lights, plush, small toys, etc to create my own mini window display and door décor. I think it is a bit of an old habit not a lot of folks do anymore, but I have been doing it for about 10 years now. Old Disers might remember using the lime green mickey paint swatch from the hardware store, put on a window or door to signify you were a Disboards member. Some folks have white boards for messages when traveling in a group. It's just a fun craft/hobby to make things more magical. I also make tip envelopes for all our ADRs and Mousekeeping (when available).

I do this at DLR and WDW, DCL vets are more familiar with fish extenders.

Oh this is basically my favorite part of "planning"! There are some threads on the boards in various places with examples. But I make window displays, usually out of paper cut outs, and other crafting supplies with themes for each trip. Holidays, life events, or seasons. And I decorate the resort windows and doors using suction cups, string or fishing line, magnets, nothing sticky. I also use other props like battery operated lights, plush, small toys, etc to create my own mini window display and door décor. I think it is a bit of an old habit not a lot of folks do anymore, but I have been doing it for about 10 years now. Old Disers might remember using the lime green mickey paint swatch from the hardware store, put on a window or door to signify you were a Disboards member. Some folks have white boards for messages when traveling in a group. It's just a fun craft/hobby to make things more magical. I also make tip envelopes for all our ADRs and Mousekeeping (when available).

Ive seen this when I went to a Supernatural convention…. And now I’m going to search examples down for our Thanksgiving trip for inspiration!

If that is something we do, how would the baggage get to the resort since they won't have Magical Express? Can you leave your baggage at the resort even before your room is ready?
U can leave ur bag at guest services. When u get back to the resort I’d grab them urself, or be prepared to wait for them .. sometimes a while… for them to get to you.

We usually get an early flight in to Orlando at 930 am and get to hotel if room is ready and then head to a park. Last day we get late flight and the spend day at park. That’s our usual plan and it works for us. Most time we have had a room ready when we got there so we could drop our stuff in room, change and then head out for the day.

I get in too late to visit a park. I'm usually very tired so check in, have some dinner and go to bed to rest up for MK the next morning.

Our last few trips (kids in their teens) we have done 6 am flights, land around 8ish am, hit a park by 9-10 am and stay until close. We get park tickets for everyday of the trip so 9-10 day hoppers depending on if it's 8-9 night trips. Well last trip this plan backfired on me. DD was all for doing AM EMH the next day after closing down MK but we were thisclose from a teenage meltdown in the park. We had to abort mission and take a nap and that was after Starbucks.

How old was she and did she realize that she needed a nap at that point, or you just had to enforce it? Sometimes teenagers overestimate their energy level and end up behaving like tired toddlers!

We may go to parks one or two days out of 7 day trip. So on day of Arrival, we arrive late morning, drop bags off at hotel and go to DS for lunch and maybe a movie. If Room isnot ready, we then Go to pool.

How old was she and did she realize that she needed a nap at that point, or you just had to enforce it? Sometimes teenagers overestimate their energy level and end up behaving like tired toddlers!

She was 12. When we woke up that morning she was tired but insisted we still go. I told her she could sleep in. We left the park an hour after we got there because I enforced it. She still wanted to continue but she later said she thought I would be upset if she wanted to leave. :( She felt that way because the year prior my son acted a fool a day or two and we had to leave the park a few times. She didn’t want me to be upset again but I explained it’s two different scenarios.

With the package deal, it comes with a round of mini golf I believe. We have started doing that our first or last day. This time we will do it our departure day as we won’t be getting in until 10-11pm.
Thanks. I looked up both of the mini-golf courses they have. They look neat. We might have to do that. I think we can get a bus to EPCOT and then walk to the course or get a bus to Blizzard Beach and walk to the course?? If we drive it won't be an issue but if we fly we will try taking the resort bus to get near the course if we can.

I remember when we stayed at POP years ago we had potato heads in the window and probably some other Disney toys. I don't think we decorated the windows. As old as my kids are,, they would love this idea because one in college for art and the other one is also an artist. We will be staying at Art of Animation at the Nemo suites. I don't know if anyone will ever see our window from the outside there. I remember talking about the Mickey-shaped paint swatches. I never was able to get any and I doubt they are around now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter