What To Wear At Disney? First Timer Fashion Tips!

Wear what you are most comfortable in, but keep in mind the weather gets pretty warm in Orlando. Check weather.com for temps the week of your trip. Take jeans-- nights get cooler and I have worn jeans and been quite comfortable in them. Have a great time!:)

What part of Texas are you from? I'm about 20 miles east of Dallas and being used to the heat and humidity here on the edge of east Texas, I thought I'd be fine for the Florida weather. However, the heat in Florida seems to be different. It will just drain you! Don't wear jeans down there!! Light capris or shorts with thin cotton T's or tanks is the way to go. I go down there three or four times a year and have been down there the least three years during May. My May 3rd-10th trip will be my fourth May trip in four years. May is a great time to go, crowds are manageable and weather isn't too bad, but it will be hot. I have already tried on alot of my shorts and capris (to make sure they still fit:rolleyes:) . No way would I wear jeans down there. If you, your mom, or your boyfriend's mom could get on ebay, you will also find alot of cute shorts, skorts, and capris for a cheap price. You may also try to borrow some from your friends/family.

Someone mentioned Bodyglide earlier. It's a godsend for chafing as well as preventing blisters. You can also use antipersperant (not deodorant) on your thighs to prevent chafing. Monistat also makes an antichafing gel that works well. You can pick it up at Wal Mart's.

Make sure you carry at least two pairs of very comfortable shoes and switch them out everyday. Personally, I usually wear Teva Mush flip flops or Montrail Molokini flip flops. They're not particularly cheap, but are sooo comfortable.:cloud9: I can't wear tennis shoes in Florida (too hot and heavy), but alot of people do.

Also be sure to wear LOTS of sunscreen. I picked up some Neutrogena Dry Touch with an spf of 70 the other day at Wal Mart. It's a rub on, but they also have the Neutrogena Spray on Dry Touch with an SPF of 50. The spray came with a little travel size Dry Touch rub on that will be great for the parks. My first trip down there I carried only one bottle of sunscreen, Big Mistake!

Something you need to know is that your hair is going to frizz. I swear mine knows as soon as I step off the plane at MCO. I have yet to find anything to completely stop it. Don't waste your time trying to blowdry and fix your hair every morning. Five minutes after you leave the room, it will just frizz up. If your hair is long enough, be sure to bring some scrunchies or elastic bands and just braid it or pull it into a pony tail everyday.

Mineral makeup lasts longer down there than liquid makeup. The liquid makeup will just melt off of you.

Oh, yeah, one last thing, you will see people in all sizes dressed in all kinds of styles down there. No one really pays attention to what anyone else is wearing (unless it's totally outlandish). Wear whatever is most comfortable for you and just try your best to stay cool.

Good luck, and have a great time!

take some gold bond powder or cream and put it on-always put it on at night after your shower-let it work through the night

dress lightly-it will be hot-everyone is sweaty, hot, no fashion shows down there

I'm Pooh sized and get hot easily. I wear bermuda shorts and capris. All material is light weight and light in color.

Comfort is the name of the game - cotton capris and pants are best. I've worn denim capris but normally I go to WDW in March or September. Light colors for tops are best (just not white).

One thing to be certain of is comfortable shoes - you will see lots of crocs/sandals/athletic shoes but just be sure you don't wear new shoes there. Break in any shoes prior to going to Disney... Last thing you want is blisters on your feet. I normally bring three pairs of shoes - my crocs, my tevas and running shoes.

Mostly relax and have a good time.

I also reccomend Old Navy. They only sell plus sizes online now, but their clothes are great. I just bought a pair of shorts and 2 pairs of capris that I think will work great for Disney. Their prices are very reasonable as well, and if the sizing doesn't work, you can return at any old navy store.

Have a great trip!

ETA: I got some capris at a good price at Kohls last trip.

Bermuda shorts are a fantastic thing!! i'm not a short person either, and i hate everyone who is (love hate, don't worry haha) bermudas are very flattering, and very comfortable. i def thing you'll be comfy in cotton leggings and your long tops/summer dresses. plus when your there everyone wears pretty much anything, so don't worry about "sticking out". enjoy your trip, your going to have soo much fun.

You can't go wrong with capris. I love the capris that are cargo style. The pockets are very handy for carrying lots of little necessities without having to carry a purse. Lite weight black, tan, and khaki green capris are great basics with colorful or basic white t-shirts or tanks. Plus they all go great with Tink Pink! I wore layered colorful tanks under a light weight button up white shirt in the evenings when it was cooler--I left the shirt unbuttoned but it was nice inside the cooler resaurants.

We were there the first week of April and saw a lot of the mid-calf length leggings worn under summer tank style dresses that hit right above the knee--they wore them with the "minnie mouse" or mary jane style crocs and ked tennis shoes--sooo cute!

Be sure to pick up a couple of dollar store throw away ponchos! Afternoon showers can pop up at any time--if you have cargo style capris or bermuda shorts they will fit right in the side pockets.

I think jeans will be hot. Try to find a summer fabric type jean that's lightweight if you don't want shorts.

Instead of leggings with your dress or skirts try biker shorts under them to keep your legs from rubbing together.
I think that's what they're called? (They're tight workout shorts.)

Anyways find outfits that you feel comfortable in. I'd hate to think of you walking around all day worried about how you look. Go have fun.

Get Body Glide at a sports store or online. Use it on thighs or around feet where you might get a blister. Use it in the morning and around lunch - important to use before there is a problem!!! They even sale small ones to fit in your bag. No demin at all!! That can really hurt. Bring good shoes your already wearing and at least two other pairs!! No worries about fitting on rides - I fit on everything and I'm a big girl!!! I hope yall have a blast!!! princess:

I'm also all for capris! You can also check out Kohl's or JcPenney. Backpack is great also. Capris are a woman's dream for comfort. Do not try jeans! You'll not only roast, but can you imagine trying to ride Kali River Rapids in them?:scared1: You'd never be able to get them off to use the bathroom. lol

Jeans will be too hot, most pants will be too hot!

I love skorts. Looks like a skirt, but lined with shorts to prevent that painful rubbing rash.

Kohls sells them in the plus size department, I found 4 styles last year, and with 2 or 3 colors in each style I was all set for the trip.

Tee-shirts are not really my style, but tank tops leave too much arm showing (well, on my arms anyway!) so I wore polo shirts the whole time. They were tee-shirt soft but looked nicer on me than I think tee's do.I think it's the neckline on tee's that bugs me...not sure.

There are some great clothes out there, you will find something in your style if you look around.

Hi....I was searching for the same thing, and Me to is going to Disney on May 8th....I was thinking leggings to...cause im plus size and its so hot and u would be walking alot an you want to be comfortable...the first time i went to florida i had a lot of outfits....i didnt wear...just sundress and comfortable loose fitting clothes and lots of flip flops and crocks...so....just pack comfortable...and something sexy for late night activies...have fun...Im excited too....been to florid 5 times but never Disney World....another good thing to get is the AAA Florida Books Lots of ideas....map out an iterary for you and your family..... .Lyn From Michigan

Hello everyone.
I'm a plus size adolescent girl who will be going to Disney World for the first time in a few weeks with my wonderful boyfriend and his family. I am so very excited! I've never been on a vacation before.

We are going May 8 for four or five days. My DBF has told me that it will be hot, and that I probably shouldn't wear jeans, but I don't even own a pair of shorts. Has anyone here worn jeans to Disney comfortably? What about cotton/spandex leggings with sundresses? I have to be careful that my legs don't rub together and chafe by wearing loose shorts.

Any one have any suggestions?
I want to be comfortable. =]

Body Glide works great! :thumbsup2

I hate wearing shorts in public, so here is my wardrobe for summer here in Florida:

Capris, capris, capris! Loose-fitting, light-weight fabrics are best.
Light-colored cotton sleeveless tees
Moisture-wicking sports bras & undies!!!
Flip-flops
Sunglasses
Swimsuits

Thats it. Pretty simple, huh? Have a great trip! :goodvibes

I am going May 10 and they are saying that next week it is going to be in the 90's and you don't want to be in jeans when its 90. I would agree capris are a great idea. My sister is pooh sized and :wizard:doesn't wear shorts either she wear capris in Disney and is fine. It can get really hot and sticky during the day and since this is your first trip you want to enjoy it not be miserable because you're too hot.

Have a great time and enoy!

I have used Body Glide in the past and it does a really good job of protecting against chafing. I've lost 80 pounds since then :banana: but still use it on my feet to prevent blisters.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Old Navy gaucho pants! I am a 22 and got them in a XL and they fit beautifully. They are going in my suitcase for our trip! And while I'm all about looking cute, comfort is of utmost importance for me. So yes, I'll be the nerdy looking mom wearing her gauchos & mickey tee with her sneaks and fanny pack!! :lmao:

No jeans,
My suggestion - longer walking shorts, Skorts, capri's, use lots of sunscreen, tank tops,or sleeveless shirts, athlete shoes, with socks, no flip flops they give you no support and are dangerous in the parks with that many people and slippery after a florida shower.
Have a great vaca.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter