What To Wear At Disney? First Timer Fashion Tips!

somethingblue

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone.
I'm a plus size adolescent girl who will be going to Disney World for the first time in a few weeks with my wonderful boyfriend and his family. I am so very excited! I've never been on a vacation before.

We are going May 8 for four or five days. My DBF has told me that it will be hot, and that I probably shouldn't wear jeans, but I don't even own a pair of shorts. Has anyone here worn jeans to Disney comfortably? What about cotton/spandex leggings with sundresses? I have to be careful that my legs don't rub together and chafe by wearing loose shorts.

Any one have any suggestions?
I want to be comfortable. =]

Congrats on your first trip! I made my first trip last year in March and have been back once since then.

I would avoid jeans. We went in January and shorts were already appropriate. If your leggings are cotton they should be okay, since cotton breathes a bit. DISers have recommended Body Glide to prevent chafing; I've never used it, though!

Other things to think about are color choices and fabric breathability. A small change in these areas can really make a highly uncomfortable day into a much more comfortable one.

I don't know how pooh sized you are but my daughter, also pooh sized, just bought some beautiful shorts and shirts from Old Navy. They have sizes up to 30 and she said they fit her beautifully! She has rarely worn shorts before either because she has always needed men's sizes/styles. She is thrilled with these!

Have a wonderful vacation!

I lived it capris last trip! I got some really comfortable ones a Belk. Light color tanks will also keep you cool!:goodvibes

I also wear capris & a t shirt or tank top. I think the leggings would be fine as long as they are cotton. Have a great trip!!

I'm a bigger girl myself, and have recently found bermuda shorts to be a godsend. I hate the way capris look on me, but bermuda shorts hit just at the knee. Luckily they're "in style" now, so it's easy to find them. I bought mine at Lane Bryant.

I also am pooh-sized and just bought some new shorts & stuff for summer/vacation. I don't like the jean or khaki ones to walk in, they ride & rub too bad. Last year when we went, I did use body glide on the inner thigh area & it does help. As far as shorts, I just got some cute ones in the plus dept. at WalMart for $5.00/pr. They had navy, black, bright green, hot pink & I think a bright blue. They are very comfortable & wear really nice. I also got some different colored ones at beallsflorida.com I signed up for emails & got 15% off my order a few days later. Both kinds of shorts are the pull on w/pockets but wash & wear really nicely. That's all I wear in the summer time.

Good luck & have fun!!!

I think you will be way too hot in jeans. I would also recommend capris. I am not a shorts person either, but I do like skirts or capris.

Ok, seriously waaay too hot for jeans. Gauchos are comfortable and look nice! Seriously that's what I wore. If you were a dress or skirt, I think the leggings are a great idea to keep the legs from chaffing. Above all, whatever you choose make sure you feel GREAT in the clothes! :cheer2:

I don't own shorts either! (At least none that I'll wear out of the house!) Capris have worked great for me on the last few trips. Body Glide does help, but it tends to wear off a bit throughout the day. I'll use it with a jean skirt on days that we aren't going to one of the big, main parks. Nothing ruins a trip faster than a rash between my thighs! You'll be doing a lot of walking, so make sure you wear comfy shoes, too. I have worn jeans to Disney before, but not in May. It's too warm! Congrats on getting to take your first vacation to Disney World! Have fun!

When it was hotter last week (85) I wore Jean shorts and Jean Capris and it did not seem any hotter to me. I liked having my ankles out although I don't know how that would have had much of an impact on my coolness level.

The place you need the most coolness is in your top. I regretted wearing a light Tshirt one day over a tank top. For some reason the shirt made the difference in comfort to me.

I've worn jeans in the beginning of october when it's been pretty warm, but not hot. I've never worn them in the summer I don't think, but it depends on the weather that day. There are a lot of cold rides so that might give a little relief from the heat, and I've seen a few people wear dresses. Wearing dresses might be a little awkward getting in and out of ride vehicles though, because I know some of them are low to the ground or you have to straddle something[like space mountain]. You could try jeans and then bring a pair of shorts to change if it gets too hot. A skirt would probably work too.

I am "pooh" sized too. We just returned. You do NOT want to wear jeans! You will roast! I wore long shorts or a skort. I really liked the skort! It is more flatering on me that shorts, but your legs don's rub together because of the short under the skirt! I also wore sleeveless cotton tops to keep cool.

Enjoy!

I think pretty much anything goes fashion wise. You see people wearing fanny backs and mouse ears and things like that, that they never would otherwise be seen in. I think it is mostly about being comfortable. I think jeans would be a bit much. I myself almost NEVER wear shorts or tank tops. Generally when going to places like that I wear light weight capris and cotton t-shirts and my crocs.

Thank you to everyone who responded!!
So far I have some nice cotton leggings that I think will be cool enough that I'll wear with long shirts or skirts/dresses. I'll be on the look out for capris. I've looked at Ross and Marshals, bargain stores, but so far no luck.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you to everyone who responded!!
So far I have some nice cotton leggings that I think will be cool enough that I'll wear with long shirts or skirts/dresses. I'll be on the look out for capris. I've looked at Ross and Marshals, bargain stores, but so far no luck.

Thanks everyone!

Keep looking, you won't regret getting the capris. Thats all I wore when I was at WDW, and I'm pooh sized also. I can't tell you how cute young ladies look in tan capris and a sweet little T-shirt. Makes me want to be a teen again so I can look cute too! ;) I think you'll find what your looking for at Dillards and maybe Macy's, they might be a little on the exspensive side but your not getting to many pairs since you have some leggings and dresses. What part of Texas are you from? I'm from Texas also! I'm in North Austin. I pray for you a very blessed trip and may you have a very magcial time in The World! :woohoo:

The last time I went to Disney, It was in Sept and I was plus-sized. I agree with wearing capris. I wore them every day and while I was warm, it was not unbearable. However, I would "nerd things up" by wearing socks and walking shoes with them, but wore crocs sometimes, because that would help cool my feet off.

I usually wore a tank top with a light-weight, short-sleeve, button-down shirt unbuttoned. (This way, I could protect myself from too much sun, but could wear less if I wanted to. Plus, it can be FREEZING when you are in the rides, dining, or watching a show, so you will be thankful that you have it.)

I have the same motto for Disney World as I do for the beach: "I don't care how I look as long as I am cool and comfortable." While I realize that this motto probably goes against every teenager rule out there, think of Disney as the one place where there is an exception to these rules. :goodvibes

Pooh sized here too...

I'm going in October, and I'm bringing capris and jean shorts. Shorts in humid weather will be important....nothing else will be as cool as shorts. You definetly dont want to pass out from getting to warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter