What was your worst DCL rookie mistake?

adSimba

Always another adventure with Mickey
something you wished you knew, or were too timid to try, the more embarrassing the better

I wish that I had gone to see the children's club on CC! We assumed that they would go to the beach or do some swimming - which stressed me out, to leave my son (age 5). We didn't get any adult time, nor get to see serenity bay, nor rent any water craft - and we did a "double dip" cruise! :sail:

I wish that I had gone to see the children's club on CC! We assumed that they would go to the beach or do some swimming - which stressed me out, to leave my son (age 5). We didn't get any adult time, nor get to see serenity bay, nor rent any water craft - and we did a "double dip" cruise! :sail:
wow that is bad, I'm sorry... have you been able to rectify that?

For me, it was standing in line for the meet and greets. I felt like it ate up so much time.
on our first cruise, we realized that on the last sea day, a few characters were out by the pool with minimal lines. plus a couple visit the kids club. And we had the character breakfast.
second cruise, the princess gathering had very little wait time. at one point had no one and i even got to take a pic with two princesses together cuz both had no one and i asked if they could come together for the pic.
Third cruise was Halloween so between the dance party and the last 10 minutes of the gathering on the last night, we got a couple characters in.
the lines to meet characters take up so much time. on our third cruise where we did very little of it, I realized how much time we actually had to enjoy other things.

Trying to do too much! I looked at previous navigators and practically planned every activity I wanted to do which meant I didn't leave time for things like the pool. After day 2 I was so worn out I gave up but its something to remember!

Our room was in the very back (aft) of the ship. One day thinking I was walking to our room, I walked ALL the way to the front and had to turn around. Doh!

Oh yes! Definitely still make this rookie mistake at least once on a cruise! And usually I'm on a floor that doesn't go all the way around so walk to the end then have to turn around and hope no one has noticed :rolleyes1

Trying to do too much! I looked at previous navigators and practically planned every activity I wanted to do which meant I didn't leave time for things like the pool. After day 2 I was so worn out I gave up but its something to remember!

This! We had such a great time throughout our week I think we only spend about 2 hours near the pool (and slides). I wish we'd made a little more time for that

Not me but my husband. I love this story. you need to know my DH is not very assertive/aggressive. He is very passive and he takes each moment for what it is. I worked with women who have cruised before, so in preparation for our 1st cruise, they would tell me what cruising was like. All you can eat food. drinks are extra, entertainment, etc. I guess I never mentioned any of that to DH.

So, our first cruise ever, we took Disney transportation from the resort (and this was MY mistake, we booked a noon transport) We didn't leave at noon, we got on the ship at 3:30pm. They explained lunch was closed. We went to our stateroom to put our carry bags away and then went to explore the ship. We were up on Deck 9 people watching and poor Dh was drooling as he watched people walk by with plates of hot dogs/hamburgers, fries and the like. I watched him for a while, amused. Then it occurred to me he was probably hungry. I asked him if he was and he said he was all set. Knowing he was hungry I asked if he was sure, he said, yeah he was sure. But I saw the look in his eyes as he was watching those plates of food go by. He knew meals were free, it dawned on me that maybe he was thinking that any food in between meals we had to pay for. That is when is hit me. THAT WAS WHAT HE WAS THINKING. LOL. He is a penny pincher, so he is thinking it is only a couple hours till dinner, a free meal, he wasn't going to spend money on eating a meal now. I said, matter-of-factly "you know all food on the ship is free, even the counter service food." His eyes got huge and he said "it is?" I said yes....he was out of that chair in a shot. In 5 minutes he had his burger and fries.

That was my 1st,2nd, 3rd, and 4th mistake. We never had the down payment on the cruise. It took a long time for me to realize I could just budget in the down payment when saving for our cruise. It's the only way to cruise now. You save so much! OOPS...meant to quote about the OBB

More a first cruise mistake: waiting to see if I'd get sea sick before taking something to prevent sea sickness. That first night (between PC and Nassau) I was miserable and thought cruising wasn't for me.

OMG I did this!!! Sitting at dinner on the Magic and boy the ship was really moving on its way to Nassau and I had to miss dinner because i was too sick to even just sit there. Lesson learned on that one!

Definitely trying to do it all and then realizing cruise is over. Also, I had bought the all digital package this last cruise and we were constantly in lines because I wanted to make sure I got my money's worth. Im honestly not sure it was worth it since we could've been just doing what we want when we wanted. I think next time we are just going to get in whatever line we want vs having to.

My mistake was thinking that I knew where everything was because I had studied the deck plans so much. Just after boarding we were walking from the atrium towards Parrot Cay on the Wonder to have our embarkation lunch there. You pass through the Promenade Lounge. But I had fortgotten that it was there. So, I was totally confused when we were there as there were table and I thought I was already in the restaurant and wanted to find a place to sit...

This wasn't on DCL but it was on our first cruise many moons ago. The cruise documents said that you needed to tip the dining room waiters but until we were onboard we didn't know that on cruises it's customary wait until the last night to tip for the entire cruise. We had brought all small bills to tip each evening so on the last night I'm handing them these fat envelopes full of ones. They probably thought I was nuts.

Not realizing that you had no choice for breakfast on the debarkation day except the MDR at your assigned time. Having to haul all our carryons into the small space was a pain. The breakfast was so rushed, it just was an uncomfortable way to end a wonderful vacation. We had no clue that Cabanas was even open. Live and learn! Every cruise since then, we leave our bags in the room, have a nice quiet breakfast at Cabanas and then grab our stuff and go. So much better!

Great thread....
on our 1st first.....[thinking we would never do it again, ]
we did everything....to include, Palo's/
to the worst was doing 2 excursions at every stop

by the time we got off the ship, we needed a vacation from our vacation

but that was 20 cruises ago/ but boy did we learn our lesson....

Robin & Angel "D"

This wasn't on DCL but it was on our first cruise many moons ago. The cruise documents said that you needed to tip the dining room waiters but until we were onboard we didn't know that on cruises it's customary wait until the last night to tip for the entire cruise. We had brought all small bills to tip each evening so on the last night I'm handing them these fat envelopes full of ones. They probably thought I was nuts.

I'm sorry, but.....:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Just picturing this has me LOL!!!

Not me but my husband. I love this story. you need to know my DH is not very assertive/aggressive. He is very passive and he takes each moment for what it is. I worked with women who have cruised before, so in preparation for our 1st cruise, they would tell me what cruising was like. All you can eat food. drinks are extra, entertainment, etc. I guess I never mentioned any of that to DH.

So, our first cruise ever, we took Disney transportation from the resort (and this was MY mistake, we booked a noon transport) We didn't leave at noon, we got on the ship at 3:30pm. They explained lunch was closed. We went to our stateroom to put our carry bags away and then went to explore the ship. We were up on Deck 9 people watching and poor Dh was drooling as he watched people walk by with plates of hot dogs/hamburgers, fries and the like. I watched him for a while, amused. Then it occurred to me he was probably hungry. I asked him if he was and he said he was all set. Knowing he was hungry I asked if he was sure, he said, yeah he was sure. But I saw the look in his eyes as he was watching those plates of food go by. He knew meals were free, it dawned on me that maybe he was thinking that any food in between meals we had to pay for. That is when is hit me. THAT WAS WHAT HE WAS THINKING. LOL. He is a penny pincher, so he is thinking it is only a couple hours till dinner, a free meal, he wasn't going to spend money on eating a meal now. I said, matter-of-factly "you know all food on the ship is free, even the counter service food." His eyes got huge and he said "it is?" I said yes....he was out of that chair in a shot. In 5 minutes he had his burger and fries.

So far....this is my favorite story ever! LOL And it is because my DH would have been exactly the same way if he hadn't been well aware that pretty much ALL food was included, sans Palo/Remy or pre-packaged snacks. He would have looked on enviously at the plates of food walking by, but held tight to his wallet and waited for dinner. Gotta love our penny pinching DHs! I have re-read your story a couple of times, and each time I still chuckle out loud because I picture myself as you and my DH as your DH and it's just a picture I can see SOOOOOO clearly. :rotfl2::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter