What was your worst DCL rookie mistake?

Somehow I thought you needed only your KTTW card on Castaway Cay.

They told me I'd have to live there...

(all the Bahamian officials did was ask my stateroom number)

My rookie mistake was reading about all of the pixie dust here on the DIS. When we got on the ship, I was expecting a consistent level of phenominal service and I quickly realized that it varied quite a bit. Other people from our cruise board were getting this or that...and we were not. But also visa versa. Our SR host left us with NO towels 2 different days...as in service the room in the late morning and there were no towels to shower with in the evening. We never got towel animals, just shapes like a heart, anchor, "toilet" which was supposed to be a crest of Arendale, but was a toilet when our table mates were getting (real crests...we saw the pics) monkeys dressed in sunglasses or whatever. It left a bad taste in my mouth partly because I "expected" much better and I did not realize that things like 2 days of running to the pool deck for towels should have been reported to guest services. So my rookie mistake was expecting greatness and expecting consistency.

Our stateroom did not have a split bath. We had plenty of room but next time I will get a room with a split bath.

Not reading the Navigator carefully.
We had late seating and missed the show the first night because (as experienced cruisers, LOL) we never imagined that the late seating show would be BEFORE dinner, not AFTER. This was our 7th cruise, and Disney is the only line of the 5 lines we have been on that has the late seating show before dinner.

Not me but my husband. I love this story. you need to know my DH is not very assertive/aggressive. He is very passive and he takes each moment for what it is. I worked with women who have cruised before, so in preparation for our 1st cruise, they would tell me what cruising was like. All you can eat food. drinks are extra, entertainment, etc. I guess I never mentioned any of that to DH.

So, our first cruise ever, we took Disney transportation from the resort (and this was MY mistake, we booked a noon transport) We didn't leave at noon, we got on the ship at 3:30pm. They explained lunch was closed. We went to our stateroom to put our carry bags away and then went to explore the ship. We were up on Deck 9 people watching and poor Dh was drooling as he watched people walk by with plates of hot dogs/hamburgers, fries and the like. I watched him for a while, amused. Then it occurred to me he was probably hungry. I asked him if he was and he said he was all set. Knowing he was hungry I asked if he was sure, he said, yeah he was sure. But I saw the look in his eyes as he was watching those plates of food go by. He knew meals were free, it dawned on me that maybe he was thinking that any food in between meals we had to pay for. That is when is hit me. THAT WAS WHAT HE WAS THINKING. LOL. He is a penny pincher, so he is thinking it is only a couple hours till dinner, a free meal, he wasn't going to spend money on eating a meal now. I said, matter-of-factly "you know all food on the ship is free, even the counter service food." His eyes got huge and he said "it is?" I said yes....he was out of that chair in a shot. In 5 minutes he had his burger and fries.
This one is too funny!

My rookie mistake was reading about all of the pixie dust here on the DIS. When we got on the ship, I was expecting a consistent level of phenominal service and I quickly realized that it varied quite a bit. Other people from our cruise board were getting this or that...and we were not. But also visa versa. Our SR host left us with NO towels 2 different days...as in service the room in the late morning and there were no towels to shower with in the evening. We never got towel animals, just shapes like a heart, anchor, "toilet" which was supposed to be a crest of Arendale, but was a toilet when our table mates were getting (real crests...we saw the pics) monkeys dressed in sunglasses or whatever. It left a bad taste in my mouth partly because I "expected" much better and I did not realize that things like 2 days of running to the pool deck for towels should have been reported to guest services. So my rookie mistake was expecting greatness and expecting consistency.

I agree with this. I had spent months reading about people who had amazing bonds with their restaurant servers and their stateroom hosts. Our stateroom host was very good and very efficient, but seemed to make every effort to avoid us. Normally, I would have appreciated that, having everything done when we were out of the room, but for some reason it felt disappointing that we didn't have fun conversations with our host.

Same with our servers. I had read about servers who learned what their guests liked at their meals and had it waiting for them when they came to dinner. Our servers were great to talk to and joke around with, but every dinner I had to ask (sometime multiple times) for a coke with ice. Again, not a really big deal, but somewhat disappointing after spending so much time reading these boards.

Our rookie mistake was not spending more time in the Tube on the Fantasy enjoying the late night entertainment. We went down the last night, and had a really good time.

My rookie mistake was booking our airline travel through Disney. I figured that since it was our first cruise, I'd book everything through Disney so if there were any delays, we'd be covered. We flew out on the day of the cruise which was fine. On the trip home, we had a very short time to reach our flight in Atlanta. We were practically running through the airport to make our connection. We arrived at the gate about 10 minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave but the doors were closed. We ended up waiting a few hours for another flight. Lesson learned: make flight arrangements myself.

My rookie mistake was booking our airline travel through Disney. I figured that since it was our first cruise, I'd book everything through Disney so if there were any delays, we'd be covered. We flew out on the day of the cruise which was fine. On the trip home, we had a very short time to reach our flight in Atlanta. We were practically running through the airport to make our connection. We arrived at the gate about 10 minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave but the doors were closed. We ended up waiting a few hours for another flight. Lesson learned: make flight arrangements myself.
Well, that's not always true. We've use DCL flights for 2 or 3 of our cruises. You just have to be vigilant when the give you your flight information and make sure everything is correct there.

We are now experienced cruiser now, but 2 things come to mind.
Don't book a verandah just because the boards said it was the only way to go.
DH can't swim and is also afraid of water. After a few verandahs, and seeing
him not even go near the rail or water, I realized that booking insides give us the
opportunity to sail twice a year now.
Don't book an inside right under the exercise deck on Princess. Early aerobics on the deck woke
us up every AM. Do research and look at deck plans.

Well, that's not always true. We've use DCL flights for 2 or 3 of our cruises. You just have to be vigilant when the give you your flight information and make sure everything is correct there.
The flight info was correct. They booked us on a flight with a tight connection. I should've asked for a connecting flight with a longer delay.
In any case, that was my experience.

You can also call from your stateroom phone and they will contact your stateroom host to tell him/her to deliver what you need.

My rookie mistake was wanting to do both a mixology class and a wine tasting class and still booking both when I found out they would be back to back. I don't remember much of that afternoon.

Whatever you would normally take for seasickness, but you take it right when you get on board, so if seasickness should rear it's ugly head the medicine is already in your system! :)

Yep. Our cue to take it is the fire drill. As soon as we sit for the fire drill we take the meds. By the time we leave PC and the cruiseship is going faster, the meds are effective.

So what kind of medication do you take? I really dont know what to inquire about and if its OTC or I need a Dr visit. Im a first time cruiser on the Fantasy in a couple weeks and am concerned about the motion as I get blechy on Star Tours and Mission Space - motion sickness like feeling. It has gotten worse since my mid 30's :(

All you can eat food. drinks are extra, entertainment, etc. I guess I never mentioned any of that to DH.
A similar thing happened to me before our first cruise. I sent my mom links to the MDR menus and said the food sounded good. Her reply was noncommittal. When I asked why, she said she wasn't planning on doing upcharge restaurants each night. Needless to say, she was pleased when I explained these were the included menus and that the burgers and fries were just a choice not the main event.

My mistake was waiting so long to book a cruise because I thought I'd be bored. We weren't bored, and when I cautiously told my fiance about the placeholder option towards the end of the cruise, the response was "and you haven't booked this yet why?"

We're now anxiously awaiting my work schedule for 2018 (and hoping bookings don't open too soon before we get said calendar) to plan a 3 generation cruise with his family. Can't wait!

Taking a short 7 night cruise for my first cruise. Your first cruise should never be a short cruise.after that cruise my next was a 14 than a 15 than a 12 than I went back to a 7.

So what kind of medication do you take? I really dont know what to inquire about and if its OTC or I need a Dr visit. Im a first time cruiser on the Fantasy in a couple weeks and am concerned about the motion as I get blechy on Star Tours and Mission Space - motion sickness like feeling. It has gotten worse since my mid 30's :(
Yes, I'm interested in this too, especially for me. I have the wrist band things (with compression points). Our pediatrician recommended Benadryl/WalDryl for the kids, and said the main component was similar or the same in the motion sickness stuff like Dramamine, and we already know they can handle the Benadryl.

It's a bummer, since I used to love spinny rides and such, but now I sometimes even start to feel icky on a regular swing (which was one of my all-time favorite pastimes!)

(And did you ride the green or orange Mission Space? I've never been, and wanted to try green this trip.)

Only using the midship elevators. The elevators at forward and aft are much less congested. (We now just use the stairs mostly.)

We also fell victim to trying to do every single activity but for that first cruise I honestly wouldn't have done it any differently. At that time it was our first and only cruise and didn't have another one booked so we wanted to do everything we could and I wouldn't trade that cruise for anything in the world. (We just completed our fourth cruise on the Dream yesterday in just this last year.)

I appreciate all our regulars on the boards because we definitely got a lot of useful information on here before we left for that first one.

I don't know if you have that in the US but we use Gravol Ginger and normal Gravol.

I have friends who take Bonine and there is another non-drowsy kind that I bought on board but I forgot the name. (EDIT: Dramamine)

I know they sell some on board.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm interested in this too, especially for me. I have the wrist band things (with compression points). Our pediatrician recommended Benadryl/WalDryl for the kids, and said the main component was similar or the same in the motion sickness stuff like Dramamine, and we already know they can handle the Benadryl.

It's a bummer, since I used to love spinny rides and such, but now I sometimes even start to feel icky on a regular swing (which was one of my all-time favorite pastimes!)

(And did you ride the green or orange Mission Space? I've never been, and wanted to try green this trip.)

Benadryl? It's going to make them so sleepy. :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter