What worked for us - tips!

Mom2my2daughters

Mouseketeer
As some of you guys get closer to your trips I have this urge that I need to call you and fill you in on some stuff :earboy2:

We brought a light backpack thing that had long straps and used that to keep our stuff in. We just hung it over the stroller, it was very helpful to be able to just grab something.

1. Bring foods that you can pack. We brought 2 loaves of bread, peanut butter, cereal bars, fruit rolls, fishy crackers etc. We used all of it! One couple even brought a suitcase of just water. If your bag is under 50 lbs then you don't have to pay an extra fee for it. Water is $2.50 a bottle, and walking like you will be and the heat, you want to keep hydrated. I also packed a knife for making sandwiches. If you're at the DLH, in the coffee shop there's jelly containers on the counter if you're not brave enough to pack jelly. Our kids don't like jelly so it wasn't an issue for us, but I noticed the packets out.

2. If you're going to do the autograph thing, I'd buy the autograph books outside the park. DTD has a World of Disney store that carries them. Characters that are in full costume it is easier for them to hold onto a fat pen, you'll need a pen, they don't have one.

3. Have your autograph books and pens out before you enter the gates, there are usually characters right inside the gates.

4. If you are in line for a character and they leave, stay in line another one will be back shortly. A good place to hang out around is by the CM doors, there's always someone coming or going. They're all over the place ;)

5. Flag retreat ceremony, on Matterhorn is at 5:30 daily. We just happend to be around the area one day and I heard them announce it. Mickey climbs the mountain with Minnie and Goofy chearing him on. It's really cute. You'll see a person (climber) on the top of the mountain, get where you can see him, but are still over on the side. So basically you'd be standing on the side of the castle, but you won't be near it. You'll see when you get there, it's a major walk area. You'll be near Ariel's Grotto. Mickey will end up with the man on top of the mountain. He'll put a flag up and then streamers shoot.

6. Make sure to look in * lost the name * the building when you walk into the park on your right, next to the Mad Hatter shop. There is an incredible collage of pictures of Walt and Mickey. All the pictures are of Walt and his visions.

7. We LOVED looking for all the hidden 50's, it was so much fun to spot them!

8. Pin trading! You may think you won't get involved, but you will :teeth: It's a lot of fun for the kids. All CM have to trade with the guests.

9. The rolling talking garbage can is a hoot in Tomorrowland. Look for the man that's leaning on a table controlling him :rotfl:

10. Block Party Bash! AWESOME! I would have sat through that thing everyday if my family would have allowed. Be sure to get to your spot early enough and sit on the street corner. Don't think you'll grab a bench, people will crowd you and you'll want to be a part of it all. There are 3 zones, all color coded for either, Toy Story2, Monster's Inc./Incredibles and A Bug's Life. Watch for shooting balls that the kids can grab!

11. Bring a sweatshirt for the nights, it does get chilly.

12. Bring suits for the kids to get wet in, there's tons of places for them to play in the water. Shoes/sandles always have to be worn.

13. Grizzly River Run at CA, put your feet up on the middle thing so they don't get soaked!!!!!

14. Little princess people, try to catch a story with one of the princess's daily at Tinkerbell's shop (?) on the other side of the castle. 15 minute story that is hilarious and it isn't necessarily about the princess either. We once heard the 3 Little Pig story and I laughed through that whole thing!

15. Sunblock on the scalp - OUCH!

16. Pack extra film, video and have it in an easy to grab place.

17. I loved PlayHouse Disney - Don't miss it!

18. DCA in the Animations Building, there are princess's in there along with Hurcules. Just check in there randomly. The screen's in the building are so life like. A great, open, low crowded, cool place for the kids to run off some energy. We almost missed the Scorcerer's Workshop in there. It's in the front right side of the building (inside). It's interactive stuff for the kids. The second room you find out what Disney character you are and the 3rd room you can rehearse a song or lines and hear your voice played back. Tori and I were wandering one day and just happend to see the Sorcerer's WS and we had been in the building a ton of times before. It's easy to miss.

*That's about it for now, as if that weren't enough :wizard:

Anyone else add their tips for those who's trips are coming up!

That "fill in the name" place is the Main Street Opera Hall. It used to house Great Moments with Mr Lincoln and now houses some GREAT exhibts and a fun movie of Disneyland's creation... and "black sunday". ;) (Aka Opening day as Walk refered to it)

18. DCA in the Disney Gallery, there are princess's in there along with Hurcules. Just check in there randomly. The screen's in the building are so life like. A great, open, low crowded, cool place for the kids to run off some energy. We almost missed the Scorcerer's Workshop in there. It's in the front right side of the building (inside). It's interactive stuff for the kids. The second room you find out what Disney character you are and the 3rd room you can rehearse a song or lines and hear your voice played back. Tori and I were wandering one day and just happend to see the Sorcerer's WS and we had been in the building a ton of times before. It's easy to miss.

I think you might mean the Animations Building in DCA. This is on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot and is a great place to meet prinesses and other characters. I believe the characters rotate so you can check it out more than once to possibly catch your favorites. This is a wonderful COOL place to have fun in while you wait for a TOT fastpass to come up or on your way to or from Aladdin. The Disney Gallery is in New Orleans Square over at Disneyland.

Those are some great tips, especially about the water!

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting so excited, it won't be long before I'll be doing the single digit dance! :dancer:

Your welcome! :earsboy:

Amy, I didn't think that name sounded right. Thanks, I'll edit my post so it's right, as to not confuse anyone! :flower: I loved going in there and watching the ever changing screens and the music. A great feel!

Can anyone else add to the list??

Thanks Megan, :love:
Great inside info.
I've loved all your posts from DL too!
Glad you all had such a good time.
We are counting down ...only 149 days to go!!! :rotfl:

Thank you Meagan - we are leaving for LA in exactly 56 days - 8 weeks today(not that I'm counting!!!!!) I'm getting so excited now - never been to Ca before. The tips will be a great help. :sunny:

A couple of tips to add.....

Bite the bullet and buy one of those "laso" type water holders. We purchased it three years ago when we were there and used it our entire trip, used it in WDW, at Sea World, in/at parades, etc. It hangs over your neck or shoulder and allows you (or the kiddos) to carry hands free.

Have a ziploc bag of coins for the coin machines. A cheap(er) and fun way to get souveniers all over the place.

I usually pack a towel (or two) in my bag, as there is usually a wet child or a wet place I want to sit. I also make sure I have tylenol, bandaids, and tissue.

For parade watching, we usually find a place really early for the parade so we're right up front and then send people in shifts to grab food for lunch. That way, the time isn't "lost" time and it also keeps the kids occupied.

If you're bringing food (which I recommend) it's nice to buy and bring one of those expandable/collapsable coolers. That way you can get colder items, too. The squeezable jelly is a good option. If you have or you can borrow one of those food savers, you can save a huge amount of room. We were able to bring food for one week for seven people in one cooler and one box that way when we went to WDW!

Another great purchase I made when we went to WDW (but will work at any of the parks) is a sling. I had never owned one before, but this was great. You aren't allowed to bring strollers onto any of the rides or in the lines, nor into any of the shows. My dd was 13 months and the sling was a god send.

Buy the kids fanny packs. Put in money if they are old enough to carry their own. A snack or two. And a single use camera (with their names on them...learned that part the hard way!) The boys just really loved being able to take their own pictures. And tissue.

We personally have really liked having the walkie talkies with us. Get somewhat good ones, and like another poster said, make sure you have batteries.

but I think I got bumped offline after I clicked the button, because I didn't see it the next time I was here, so, with apologies if this is a repeat, here's my list of what I did right:

1. When you begin serious planning...about 8 weeks in advance or as soon as Disney posts the daily schedule for your visit, invest in a notebook. Fill it with page protectors. As you surf the net and do research, print out anything you think you may use. I printed menus for all the table and counter service places I thought we'd possibly visit, prices and phone #s for the various ground transportation services, numerous coupons, lists of fun things to do, hints from others, our hotel reservation confirmation, Disney ticket confirmation e-mails, the ESPN zone welcome e-mail, etc. I then put these into the page protectors. It was wonderful...I could compare, refresh my memory, etc, without having to search the internet.

2. Make a schedule on graph paper...seriously! Make half hour increments from about 7 a.m. to an hour after whatever time the park closes. Then, prior to leaving, schedule the shows and parades you want to see. Based on that you can create a general touring plan. I found I was able to use the Unofficial Guides plans for morning...after that I had to adapt them around the shows. I made the mistake of doing the opposite when we went to WDW...and we missed the parades at Animal Kingdom and MGM. The way I did it this time worked MUCH better.

BTW...when you go to the park each day, pull the sheet protectors you'll need for that day, put them in a folder, and you're ready to roll!!!

3. Think scrapbook while you're in the park, if this is something you'll do when you get home. I brought home the 50th Anniversary napkins, a popcorn box- the one with Tink and the 50th Logo, and a park map and daily schedules for each of my kid's scrapbooks. Be sure to grab fresh ones if you don't want rumples. What I missed???? I wish I'd have thought to ask them to stamp something...a notebook...every time we park hopped. It would be fun to have those for the scrapbooks!

4. Don't get over concerned with water. We were there on a day when they park was at capacity, and didn't have any trouble with this. Take a water bottle for each kid...they have the kind that clip onto a belt for about a buck at WalMart. Fill it and put it in the fridge so it's cold...add ice just before leaving for the park. Refill when you get food or whenever you pass a water fountain. I know once temps get above 90 it might be a stress, but I just didn't see there as being a water shortage. I think hauling cases of water bottles would be overkill- tap water won't kill you, lol!

5. Do take walkies if you have older kids (9 or older) who you'll trust to go get a drink or go to the bathroom, etc, alone. A warning, preset them on a channel OTHER than 8...everyone uses it. At one point I got separated from my son during a parade (he was bent on getting great photos) and when I tried to call him, other people were answering. Also, be sure to have your kid practice this at home...maybe in the grocery store. If you have older kids who have cell phones, you'd probably be better off using them to keep in touch.

6. Take at least 2 rolls of film for each day you'll be in the park. I needed another disposable for my son and found that they were much cheaper at the Lego Store than they were in the parks.

7. Need a good time to go pick up your photo? Do it while the parade is passing by. I managed to get ours without standing in line. The end of the parade passed by as I moved over to the area where you pick up the pictures...within seconds the line was about 40 people long!

8. Buy postcards, then when you are waiting for parades, have the kids write themselves a note about what they've done that day. I sat down each night to journal, but my kids were ready for bed as soon as we got back to the hotel. This is a good way for them to pass the time. Be sure to bring postcard stamps from home...and either preprinted addy labels or a small address book. Buy extra postcards of rides, etc, for scrapbooking.

9. Do the ESPN Zone membership. It is the one true bargain you'll get!!!

10. At the end of Block Party Blast they shoot out nerf balls the kids can keep. Tell your kids to be ready!!! We got one...well, two, but we gave one to the family next to us. Free souvenirs: very good things, lol!

11. Decide what characters your kids will not survive the trip without meeting, then to a character breakfast with them. This was a HUGE timesaver for me!!! Of course, my boys aren't character fanatics, so this might not work for everyone. But, it was very nice to not have to stand in line at the park. (BTW...my opinion, don't let anyone convince you that you need an autograph book. Having done a stint as Chuck E. Cheese, I can honestly say, there really IS someone inside the costume, lol!)

12. While LA is a driving culture, and you may be tempted to think you need a car, if you're flying in, let someone else do the driving! Why stress yourself out trying to negotiate unfamiliar roads, have to hassle with parking, spend time picking up and returning, etc?

13. Use sunblock every day. Take touch-up sunblock towelettes to the park with you. We used 45 spf and still came home with tans!

14. Buy one of those zip-up beach blankets WalMart and Target have this year. It is great to sit on, or when you're waiting for a parade, it can be used if anyone is cold.

Now, here's what I wish I'd done different:

1. Your kids are going to lose hats and sunglasses. It's just a given, lol! Bring extras of each...cheapies from home...to save the time of having to stop and shop for more while you're in the park. (Plus, the cheapest ones I could find there were at least $5 more than the ones from home!)

2. Don't take a booster seat. If your kid is big enough to not need a true carseat, nobody will ask you to have a booster. I hauled mine there and back. The airplanes wouldn't let us use it...the taxi guy tossed it in the trunk. The van guys ditto...and the limo driver said we didn't need it. I only spent $17 on it, and we'll use it at home, but I wouldn't bother. My son turned 4 two weeks before our trip...but he's 45" tall and weighs 50 lbs. I'm not sure what CA laws say, but in practice, nobody expected me to have a booster for him!

3. Take a back-up camera- or a neckstrap- or both. My little one was swinging his arms around while we were in line for Casey Jr. and slapped the camera out of my hands. When I snapped the next picture the camera made horrible sounds and rewound the film...and I was only on picture 11. Luckily, when I put the next roll in, it was fine. However, I would have had to resort to buying expensive disposables or trying to find a cheapie camera somewhere if it hadn't.

And, finally, souvenir hints:

1. There seemed to be a much better selection of kid's stuff over at CA. The handheld Disney Adventures game was a major hit with both kids! It was $20- but my older son would have happily had it be the only souvenir he got.

2. Need something cool for your sitter...or your kids friends? At Lego they have Lego salt and pepper shakers for around $2! They are kid sized and something I've never seen anywhere else.

Sigh...we've only been home 15 days and already it seems like another lifetime!

Mom2my2daughters said:
2. If you're going to do the autograph thing, I'd buy the autograph books outside the park. DTD has a World of Disney store that carries them. Characters that are in full costume it is easier for them to hold onto a fat pen, you'll need a pen, they don't have one.
IF YOU HAVE TIME, YOU CAN MAKE REALLY NICE ONES WITH STUFF
FROM A CRAFT STORE. WE MADE SOME WITH ROOM FOR
PICTURES - DID NOT TAKE MUCH TIME. THE CHARACTERS WILL NOTICE.
ALSO, FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT - FABRIC (SHIRT,ETC) AND SHARPY
PENS.

3. Have your autograph books and pens out before you enter the gates, there are usually characters right inside the gates.
AND ON MAIN STREET AT THE EMPORIUM

8. Pin trading! You may think you won't get involved, but you will :teeth: It's a lot of fun for the kids. All CM have to trade with the guests.
YEAH - BRING MORE $$$! OR STAY AWAY FROM THE CARTS ALL
TOGETHER - GOOD LUCK!! :rotfl:

16. Pack extra film, video and have it in an easy to grab place.
AND BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!

FROM ZOEMAKES5:
If you're bringing food (which I recommend) it's nice to buy and bring one of those expandable/collapsable coolers.
MAKES A GREAT CARRY ON BAG!

Mom2my2daughters said:
10. Block Party Bash! AWESOME! I would have sat through that thing everyday if my family would have allowed. Be sure to get to your spot early enough and sit on the street corner. Don't think you'll grab a bench, people will crowd you and you'll want to be a part of it all. There are 3 zones, all color coded for either, Toy Story2, Monster's Inc./Incredibles and A Bug's Life. Watch for shooting balls that the kids can grab!QUOTE]

I'm so glad to hear that they have obvious zones for the parade. I concerned that DS would get excited to see the TS2 characters and we would end up in the Bug's Life area! Is this information clearly marked on the maps? Thanks!...............P

About the Block Party Bash:
"There are 3 zones, all color coded for either, Toy Story2, Monster's Inc./Incredibles and A Bug's Life"

Could someone please explain this? I am not quite understanding. I was thinking that the Block Party Bash was like the other parades that move around. Is that not the case? Do you not get to see all the characters?

Any clarification would be great!

The zones are for the show stops. The BPB parade stops at each color zone for a while and interacts with the crowd and then the parade moves on to the next stop. So if you have a certain character that you really want to see than be in that area when the parade stops, like if you really want to see Buzz Lightyear be by the beginning of the showstop zone because that is the fiirst float, if your in the middle of the zone you will see (I think) the Incredibles and if your at the end you'll see Monsters Inc. Then they whole show will move along until the Buzz float is at the beginning of the next color zone and stop again. BTW it's the Buzz float that shoots the balls.

Quoted from lntsmom:

2. Don't take a booster seat. If your kid is big enough to not need a true carseat, nobody will ask you to have a booster. I hauled mine there and back. The airplanes wouldn't let us use it...the taxi guy tossed it in the trunk. The van guys ditto...and the limo driver said we didn't need it. I only spent $17 on it, and we'll use it at home, but I wouldn't bother. My son turned 4 two weeks before our trip...but he's 45" tall and weighs 50 lbs. I'm not sure what CA laws say, but in practice, nobody expected me to have a booster for him!

Here's the actual language of the CA law from the AAA website:

California Requirements
The law requires that a child be properly restrained in a child safety seat until they are either 6 years old or weigh 60 pounds. The seat must be installed in the back seat.* Breaking this law will result in significant penalties.
*There are some exemptions to the back seat requirement:

• There is no rear vehicle seat
• The rear vehicle seats are side-facing jump seats
• The rear vehicle seats are rear-facing seat
• The child passenger restraint system cannot be installed properly in the rear vehicle seat
• All rear vehicle seats are already occupied by children under the age of 12 years
• Medical reasons require that the child or ward not ride in the rear seat (The court may require satisfactory proof of the child’s medical condition)

Additionally, Vehicle Code 27360(a) states that a child may not ride in the front seat of a motor vehicle with an active passenger airbag if the child is: under one year of age, weighs less than twenty pounds, or riding rear-facing in a child passenger restraint system.

So, since your child was under the age of 6 and didn't weigh 60 either,
you could have been ticketed if you were driving your own vehicle (or rental).
I'm not sure how it works in a shuttle, limo, etc. - Would the driver have been ticketed?
Most booster seats (seatbelt positioning ones) aren't approved for air travel, since there are no shoulder straps on planes.
A booster seat with a 5 point harness can most likely be used on a plane, however.
Our DS7 won't need a car seat, but our DD4 will (only weighs 38 lb.).
It seems like you were given bad information from your drivers and I am definitely not saying you were wrong to listen to them,
but I just wanted to pass along the actual wording of the statute just in case someone else
might be renting a vehicle and wondering if they need to bring along or use a car seat for their child.
I'd hate to have my vacation ruined with a ticket from the CA Highway Patrol (start hearing the theme from CHiPs!).

Oh I love this thread - please keep it going :banana:

would stop in front of you! We saw it twice. Once it was stopped at the front of the route...we were sitting across from Playhouse Disney. That is where the Bug's Life float stopped. The best place would have been right outside the photo shop there...you'd be in the middle and could see all three floats.

On the other end of the route, the Toy Story float stopped just before the entrance to the jellyfish. Again, a little further down the way would back towards the entrance would have let you see all three floats.

We didn't see any of the main characters move around much. Most stayed on their floats. Woody got off...and some bugs were off, but most of them were on the floats.

Disneyluvr said:
The zones are for the show stops. The BPB parade stops at each color zone for a while and interacts with the crowd and then the parade moves on to the next stop. So if you have a certain character that you really want to see than be in that area when the parade stops, like if you really want to see Buzz Lightyear be by the beginning of the showstop zone because that is the fiirst float, if your in the middle of the zone you will see (I think) the Incredibles and if your at the end you'll see Monsters Inc. Then they whole show will move along until the Buzz float is at the beginning of the next color zone and stop again. BTW it's the Buzz float that shoots the balls.

Just to add to this one...

All the floats have the green army men who lead off the singing and dancing. The first float has the characters from Toy Story, the middle float (where I was standing) had Monsters, Inc., and then the Incredibles (dad & mom) pop out at the beginning & end of that section - up high - I think out of building blocks), and the last float has It's a Bugs Life. It may be, and I'm not sure, that the different characters from the Incredibles pop out at all three floats (I need to check it out).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter