• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the big deal about Gideon's?

We love them and go every time we go to Disney Springs! We always get in the virtual queue as soon as we get there and then shop, have dinner and go back when we are called- we snack on the cookies all week. I like the consistency of them and the sweet and salty combination in the chocolate chip cookie.

The cookies are not really any better than their smaller versions. I bake a better chocolate chip. I think it's more about the atmosphere of the shop than the baked goods. Sure, the cookies and cakes are excellent, but most people would never wait 45 minutes in a line for just that.
Even schmackerys in NYC which I adore I wouldn’t wait more than ten minutes (unless it was during a BCEFA fundraiser then yes I’d wait)

I do hope to try the cookies and cake and PB cold brew one day tho

It doesn't help that I prefer the plain cookie part of any chocolate chip cookie to the actual chocolate chips, so all those chips are a bit off putting for me. But that's just my goofy taste.
Someday I'm going to make chocolate chip cookies without the chips. As it is I usually put in maybe half what the recipe calls for because the cookie is the best part. And I like them crunchy.

Someday I'm going to make chocolate chip cookies without the chips. As it is I usually put in maybe half what the recipe calls for because the cookie is the best part. And I like them crunchy.

Try Heath toffee bits instead of chips and bake them crispy. Delicious.

I agree the massive amount of chips on Gideons cookies is off-putting.

LOL! This thread is almost exactly like the recent BOG thread.

Poster 1: I like Gideon's cookies

Poster 2: I think Gideon's cookies are too sweet

Poster 3: Their cookies are the best things I've ever tasted in my life!

Poster4 : I hate this place so much...

Poster 5 (me): I think that the cookies are good, but not good enough to wait in line for more than about 15 minutes for.

I'm not a dessert person. Even though I love baking (give away). Give me a bowl of pasta any day.

I got tired of hearing my DD/DIS rave about Gideon's and how their life would end if they didn't always get cookies when they go often to Disney Springs (they snowbird 7 months).

Finally I got sick of hearing about it and got in a queue with them and bought 2 different cookies (can't remember which...I think a choc banana & a toffee).
They definitely were different (hard to describe, crunchy on the outside, melt in your mouth in the inside) and extremely good. I ate one little by little over several days. DH has given up sugar for the past year so not interested at all when we go to Springs in a couple of weeks and I doubt I will go, but I do think any dessert/sweets lover should definitely go once.

The Midwest now has a competitor called Crumbls. I haven't tried but Gideon -crazy DD/DIS say doesn't hold a candle to Gideon's.

I'm not a dessert person. Even though I love baking (give away). Give me a bowl of pasta any day.

I got tired of hearing my DD/DIS rave about Gideon's and how their life would end if they didn't always get cookies when they go often to Disney Springs (they snowbird 7 months).

Finally I got sick of hearing about it and got in a queue with them and bought 2 different cookies (can't remember which...I think a choc banana & a toffee).
They definitely were different (hard to describe, crunchy on the outside, melt in your mouth in the inside) and extremely good. I ate one little by little over several days. DH has given up sugar for the past year so not interested at all when we go to Springs in a couple of weeks and I doubt I will go, but I do think any dessert/sweets lover should definitely go once.

The Midwest now has a competitor called Crumbls. I haven't tried but Gideon -crazy DD/DIS say doesn't hold a candle to Gideon's.
Crumbl are blaaaaannnnnndddddd. I have never had Gideons, but Crumbl are super bland and boring. I don’t think they use even one grain of salt and they taste like they use shortening rather then butter.

Crumbl are blaaaaannnnnndddddd. I have never had Gideons, but Crumbl are super bland and boring. I don’t think they use even one grain of salt and they taste like they use shortening rather then butter.

And they, gasp, use MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS in their chocolate chip cookie. Blasphemy. I cant stand Crumbl.

Mannnn we did Gideon's on our last trip and I was so excited. I love big soft, chewy cookies like that. I bought half a dozen cookies, spent a small fortune, and with the exception of the chocolate chip pistachio (which was AMAZING), I didn't quite think they lived up to the hype. Of course everyone's tastes are different, so I wouldn't discourage you from going. Just get that pistachio cookie, fr.

Cookies are good But not great very much overhyped.
With that being said if you are going to DS for lunch or dinner just put your name down before you plan on eating and then by the time you finish eating and or shopping pick up a couple to try.

Cookies are good But not great very much overhyped.
With that being said if you are going to DS for lunch or dinner just put your name down before you plan on eating and then by the time you finish eating and or shopping pick up a couple to try.
And bring $20.

We hit up Gideons in Disney Springs a few days back. As I mentioned before, we go for the ambience, not the food, it smells great in there and the decor is a welcome change from the ordinary Disney brights. The dark, libraryesque style is really cute. The whole reason we went in there was to get a special shirt as a gift but ended up buying a couple of cookies while at it (the power of smells). Based on the reviews here I decided to try the Coffee cake (dark version as it was evening and the light version was not available). It was so underwhelming. Frankly, it tasted much like the semi-instant cookies we used to purchase at a music shop cafe when my daughter went there for vocal lessons.

The two cookies are still on the counter only half eaten. They're far too dense and over the top with chocolate for any one person to eat. I would have been better off with and enjoyed a Starbucks Mango-Dragonfruit Refresher more and saved some money, but hey, it's disney and the entertainment factor counts.

Last edited:
Just got back and I got caught up in the Gideon’s hype. I love choc chip cookies so brought a few. The families and my opinion was they were nothing special and overpriced for the enjoyment we got from them. Being from Australia I was looking for the best choc chip cookie and was dissatisfied with the Gideon’s cookies. We then did some research and found another cookie place called crumbl cookies. Wow there choc chip cookie was fantastic.

Just got back and I got caught up in the Gideon’s hype. I love choc chip cookies so brought a few. The families and my opinion was they were nothing special and overpriced for the enjoyment we got from them. Being from Australia I was looking for the best choc chip cookie and was dissatisfied with the Gideon’s cookies. We then did some research and found another cookie place called crumbl cookies. Wow there choc chip cookie was fantastic.
I haven’t tried Gideon’s yet. My DS20 was meh about it because he gets crumbl with his gf and they love it. So he always discourages any attempts to buy him Gideons cookies.

I also greatly prefer Crumbl cookies and have never understood the Gideon's hype. Well, each to their own and the only way you know is to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter